Aiming the Ball / Use of a line.

bargolf

I think we need to be careful about absolute statements about what does or does not work, and the putting line on a golf ball is a great example.

The line on the ball works for some people, and I think most of us have seen really good putters using a line. I think research shows, though, that the line does NOT work for many golfers because of properties of their vision. One of my best buddies in the first category; I'm in the second.

So if the line DOES work for you, understand that that doesn't mean everybody else should do what you do. Conversely, if the line does NOT work for you, understand that for other golfers, the line is an essential part of good putting.

Nobody said anything absolute. Was stated that for most it offers no benefit and for some it actually makes them worse. It also helps some people. The largest percentage it neither helps nor hurts. If it helps then keep doing it obviously. But if it doesn't help you're in the majority and it isn't a sign that anything is wrong.

Yes, and if you go back and reread my posts, I think you'll see that I'm one of the ones that says "that for most it offers no benefit and for some it actually makes them worse." I'm not sure what part of what I've written was unclear or confusing; I even referenced a 60% figure for being unable to use the line that was given to me by a guy that is a putting instructor for a number of Tour players. Sorry if my first sentence was alarming to you somehow.

Not offensive just correcting your implication that what was said was in any way absolute.

Thanks for the "correction". Do you find it a burden to need to "correct" innocuous statements on internet forums, and then parroting EXACTLY what the body of the post said? Do you ever fall off of your high horse and hurt yourself?

Jeez...

No high horse. When what I state is misconstrued and my name is in the discussion I absolutely will clarify my point.

I didn't parrot you in any way shape or form. I was restating my position stated elsewhere that was brought up in this thread which I think is completely normal when someone implies you said something you didn't. It's you who might wanna check your attitude

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I use a line, when I get over the ball the line looks like it's pointing too far left.

What does that mean? Eyes inside or outside the line? Tilted head?!

I have parallax issues, and the same thing happens to me. In my case, if I don't have a line or spot aim for approaches, I will gradually be aimed way, way right. When I started using a line on the ball, I had to train myself to trust the line.

I have noticed through using a line on my ball that it has massively improved my aim when I don't use it, either just hitting a few practice putts or putting on the fringe when you can't line it up. I can only assume it has helped train my eyes to get used to square and where exactly to aim.

I had such a problem where I would be looking at a spot but quite often was not actually aligned there. For me since switching to using a line my putting has improved nearly 3 shots on my game golf.

one thing I would say is you have to be decisive over the line. if its not quite right, change it. people say it takes a long time etc but doesn't take me long at all now to get the ball setup. I also use the shaft of my putter to confirm the line on the ball is aimed correctly.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I'm one of those people that has seen a massive improvement in putting since switching to putting a line on the ball. I also use an additional line (perpendicular to my alignment line) to confirm that my face angle is correct. It's made such a difference in my putting that nearly all the guys I play with (and this is a group of 10-12) have tried the same set-up. Currently, I'm the only one still using it.

In my opinion, for a line to really help, it needs to reduce tension on the green. It works for me because I view it as a general guide. Given that I'm severely right eye-dominant, I see the line very differently when I am behind the ball versus being beside it about to make my stroke. I know my eyes play tricks on me, and the line takes that out of the equation. I don't obsess over getting the line perfect. The line just allows me to relax and trust the path I'm putting the ball on, and keeps me from from focusing too much on the end result.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I have noticed through using a line on my ball that it has massively improved my aim when I don't use it, either just hitting a few practice putts or putting on the fringe when you can't line it up. I can only assume it has helped train my eyes to get used to square and where exactly to aim.

I had such a problem where I would be looking at a spot but quite often was not actually aligned there. For me since switching to using a line my putting has improved nearly 3 shots on my game golf.

one thing I would say is you have to be decisive over the line. if its not quite right, change it. people say it takes a long time etc but doesn't take me long at all now to get the ball setup. I also use the shaft of my putter to confirm the line on the ball is aimed correctly.

I've noticed the guys on the Tour using the shaft to make sure the line on their ball is lined up properly as well. Makes sense. Everything about using a line makes sense. It's kind of like pacing off your putt's distance. This also makes sense. For many, the more data the better! I wish that was the case with myself. For me the extra data, including the line, distract me from what I'm really trying to do...

I've noticed the guys on the Tour using the shaft to make sure the line on their ball is lined up properly as well. Makes sense. Everything about using a line makes sense. It's kind of like pacing off your putt's distance. This also makes sense. For many, the more data the better! I wish that was the case with myself. For me the extra data, including the line, distract me from what I'm really trying to do...

yeah I use the shaft every time to check the alignment of the line, works wonders.

I can see for some people that it wouldn't work, and you do have to commit to it when sometimes it doesn't quite look correct. Not sure I agree about the pacing off of putts because every putt is a slightly different length and speed. takes the feel out of it. just my 2 cents

If I use a line, when I get over the ball the line looks like it's pointing too far left.

What does that mean? Eyes inside or outside the line? Tilted head?!

Could be those and/or the ball is too far forward for a rear eye dominant player. Try using the line and closing your right eye. See if that changes your perception.

This is the most common reason for the line to not appear correct, side on. The player is using one eye more than the other, the ball is out of position to that eye. You don't need a line on the ball or the putter to have this problem either. Perception is based on vision.

We see many high level players who use their right eye to chose the line from behind and then switch to their left eye when they are side on.

So do any of you who do not use a line or think it is not valuable use a straight line putting aid?

No. I practice like I play, aligning my putt with the line on my putter. HOWEVER, I always begin with dead straight 3 footers to make sure I have it right, then move to longer and breaking putts. If I can't find a cup that gives me a straight 3 footer, then I find a non-breaking area of the green and stab a tee in the ground and put to it. I have to establish a base-line first.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Line on the ball is way too short that my brain refuses to trust it. For a straight 20 footer, alignment off by 1 degree = 5 inch deviation from the target.

I feel much more comfortable aligning my feet to an intermediate target ~5 feet away, then using my feet as alignment guide.

Are you a good/great putter?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

One thing a line DOES do is gives you feedback as to whether or not you rolled the ball on your intended line, because you'll see a solid line as the ball rolls if you did strike it well. If it's a blur, it's not on your intended line.

That's HUGE to me in feedback of reading greens. If you missed the putt, and you don't know if you misread it or started it on a different line, you get zero feedback.

As an aside, I'll occasionally use the line on the tee when the teebox misaligns you from the fairway, as some designs intend to do. I see it all the time on the 2nd hole at my home course, guys lining up right into the right rough because that's where the tee box points. They hit a great shot, right into the rough, and think they hit a bad shot.

One thing a line DOES do is gives you feedback as to whether or not you rolled the ball on your intended line, because you'll see a solid line as the ball rolls if you did strike it well. If it's a blur, it's not on your intended line.

That's HUGE to me in feedback of reading greens. If you missed the putt, and you don't know if you misread it or started it on a different line, you get zero feedback.

As an aside, I'll occasionally use the line on the tee when the teebox misaligns you from the fairway, as some designs intend to do. I see it all the time on the 2nd hole at my home course, guys lining up right into the right rough because that's where the tee box points. They hit a great shot, right into the rough, and think they hit a bad shot.

I was surprised to watch both gmac and shane lowry doing this off the tee at the British masters the other week.

I was surprised to watch both gmac and shane lowry doing this off the tee at the British masters the other week.

I could see this as being more valuable on the tee than on the green for me.