2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New 2017 TaylorMade M1 Driver?

ConfusedGolfer3412

FWIW my M1 came very under weight at a total head weight of 191g. It STUNK because of this. I just added about 9g of lead tape and it was much better. I messed with the weights, too.. I added both to the front track which killed my spin, but it was holy unforgiving and sounded weird too. Next, I am putting both weights in the back track, split so one is all the way back, and one up front. I put the lead tape as close to the tracks as possible. Heaviest weight in the back. I'll probably mess around a bit and see what happens when they are both up near the front.. both near the back.

avYzmNal.jpg

I finally got mine out to the course. I think it may be more forgiving than my 2016 m2. That's with the weight all the way back. Distance is probably about the same.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

FWIW my M1 came very under weight at a total head weight of 191g. It STUNK because of this. I just added about 9g of lead tape and it was much better. I messed with the weights, too.. I added both to the front track which killed my spin, but it was holy unforgiving and sounded weird too. Next, I am putting both weights in the back track, split so one is all the way back, and one up front. I put the lead tape as close to the tracks as possible. Heaviest weight in the back. I'll probably mess around a bit and see what happens when they are both up near the front.. both near the back.

avYzmNal.jpg

Did you remember to include the weight of the adapter as part of the total clubhead weight? For swingweighting purposes, the shaft adapter is clubhead weight, not additional shaft weight.

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

avYzmNal.jpg

Did you remember to include the weight of the adapter as part of the total clubhead weight? For swingweighting purposes, the shaft adapter is clubhead weight, not additional shaft weight.

I compared it to my Fly Z, which was 199g head weight only, so adapter is irrelevant.

avYzmNal.jpg

I compared it to my Fly Z, which was 199g head weight only, so adapter is irrelevant.

Not really, TM adapters weigh approximately 7.5-grams. Adding that it in would yield a weight of approximately 198.5-grams which is quite typical.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

You're missing the point. The cobra adapter is going to weigh about the same as the TM one. Thus... I'm only comparing head weight here. Fly Z was 199, M1 was 191. Under weight.

191 Is very light....thats like Tour Issued Light without Hotmelt.

I think My 440 came in at 197.5 without the adapter.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

You're missing the point. The cobra adapter is going to weigh about the same as the TM one. Thus... I'm only comparing head weight here. Fly Z was 199, M1 was 191. Under weight.

191 Is very light....thats like Tour Issued Light without Hotmelt.

I think My 440 came in at 197.5 without the adapter.

Myself and another member speculated it was maybe TM's attempt to SW match because I first got it with the Black tie 60m4, so maybe the D3-ish weighting spec was with a slightly heavier shaft or something. Either way, 191 is just too light and I'm not putting enough torque into the shaft at that head weight to get enough kick. At 200g it's pretty good now. Swing speed even went up... although I gotta admit my strike is just not good. Sim tells me my 117mph swing is only producing 158mph ball speed. I suspect the 117 is off and it's probably more like 107-110.

I went to buy an Epic but ended up with an M1; the Epic Head shape and sound did not do it for me. I come from a G25 so I like the pancake style head. Numbers where all about the same. I kinda feel that if jail break was all it was cracked up to be then there would be some type of scientific data from callaway showing that a move .25 inches from the center of the face will retain ball speed in this fashion. But I digress. Both solid drivers I went in for an Epic but kept an open mind. Can't wait until the weather turns and I can start hitting the course. Fitting was done at Prove it Golf in Weathersfield CT.

33253779256_ddc85c099a_b.jpg

33139135402_009a98df33_b.jpg

33166413961_d0fe93e2ed_b.jpg

33294838665_26e59c746d_b.jpg

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

I am in the process of deciding: Epic, M1, M2, Ping G. Those are the four. I already have purchased an Epic 5 wood, which does not have "jailbreak" in it, but I always have liked Callaway fairway heads and I like this one. It has a profile similar to the Razr X Black line, which fit me well. However, Callaway drivers are more hit and miss and I did not like the Epic driver's feel as much as the 5 wood, which admittedly is entirely different construction. Going to try to hit the M1 if I can find a place that really knows how to adjust them. The place I was at tonight wants you to hit the Epic and they push it hard. I haven't really had a chance to hit the M1 for a full session with different setups. The Ping G LS I am drawn to for ease of repeatability.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

http://golfweek.com/...ards-per-drive/

Will Callaway or another Mfg close in on TM this year? Looks like Tmag continues to dominate the long drivers on tour.

What really matters is retail sales. So far at our location for 2017 models, the score is:

Callaway Epic and Fusion, 14+5 = 19

M1 and M2. 3+3 = 6

Our other stores report similar ratios.

That would make sense looking at BST........Loaded with new Cally drivers.

LOL! For me I struggle with the look of the Epic's, while it might perform I just can't get past the shape. The Epic SZ for me was not as pleasing to the eye as the original Subzero which I have since sold.

I had the same reaction to the Epic shape. It doesn't look great behind the ball to me. It is weird how different shapes affect how you feel about the setup. I like the TM better looking down.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 1 month later...

I now have a two rounds under my belt with the '17 M1 OG Whiteboard 73 and I have to say this is the best driver I have had in a long time. It is very straight, more forgiving than even the '16 M2, and sounds better than most drivers on the market. I lofted up and have the weight all the way back and the other in the slight draw setting.

I played with a very good college aged player and I was excited to be able to keep up with him off the tee. 46 yr old man right here....He also mentioned how he liked the sound of the driver.

For me, this is a great driver that will stay in the bag for a long time (and that is saying a lot for me).

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Hit M117 and M217 today. Own the Epic. I cannot turn the m2 over. It was the same with the 2016 version. The m1 17 with a 56 reg shaft was long high draws (for me). I hit it best but I'd want to try the same/similar shaft in Epic. I've got the Rogue MAX 65s and a Speeder 665 stiff out of my XR head.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I hit the new M1 & M2 today also. I had equivalent numbers in both. Lower spin in the M1. The sound of the M1 is much better. If I was to buy one, I would go with the M1.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Agree with the last 2 posts. I bought an M2 recently, and it's harder to turn over. A draw is my natural shot, and I just goes straight. But so do fades. Only way to get it to turn a good bit is a duck hook. Otherwise 5 yard draw. The M1 felt nice with the weight in the back, but the more I moved it forward, the worse it felt. Almost seemed like there wasn't anything in the back of the head. Also, you can tell that the M2's "Geocoustic" noise is not natural. It's not annoying like pings, but a more muted sound would be nice.

Agree with the last 2 posts. I bought an M2 recently, and it's harder to turn over. A draw is my natural shot, and I just goes straight. But so do fades. Only way to get it to turn a good bit is a duck hook. Otherwise 5 yard draw. The M1 felt nice with the weight in the back, but the more I moved it forward, the worse it felt. Almost seemed like there wasn't anything in the back of the head. Also, you can tell that the M2's "Geocoustic" noise is not natural. It's not annoying like pings, but a more muted sound would be nice.

I agree 100% that M1 feels way better with the weight back!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I finally upgraded to TM heads after only playing Titleist (910d2 and 910F) for the last 5 years. Compared to all the new drivers out right now, the M1 feels considerably lighter and the shape pleases my eye. I also had better numbers with the Epic SZ but hated the look at address.

After dialing down my shaft, the ball just flies off the face now. :superman:

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

Just ordered my first Taylormade product in years. The M1 with the Hzrdus 65X. Went in expecting to purchase a Ping being that I currently swing the G20 and I hit it well with a 5 yard fade. But I kept an open mind and tried to hit everything I could.

Well first up was the Epic but I couldn't get used to the bulging crown. Next was the Ping LS and I still couldn't get my spin down where I wanted. Finally the M1 got me down in the 1900-2200 range fairly consistently. My only reservation on the simulator was my tendency to hook it. Hopefully I can tame that a little.

Excited to see where this little leap of faith takes me. Haven't had a Taylormade driver in almost a decade.

Just ordered my first Taylormade product in years. The M1 with the Hzrdus 65X. Went in expecting to purchase a Ping being that I currently swing the G20 and I hit it well with a 5 yard fade. But I kept an open mind and tried to hit everything I could.

Well first up was the Epic but I couldn't get used to the bulging crown. Next was the Ping LS and I still couldn't get my spin down where I wanted. Finally the M1 got me down in the 1900-2200 range fairly consistently. My only reservation on the simulator was my tendency to hook it. Hopefully I can tame that a little.

Excited to see where this little leap of faith takes me. Haven't had a Taylormade driver in almost a decade.

It could definitely be the shaft. I was always snap hooking with the project x. Went with the heavier 70m4 matrix black tie shaft. Cured that problem.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

When I first got the club I had a case of the hooks but as I worked it out this club is much longer than my previous gamer. Of course my previous gamer was not fit my 17 M1 is.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

Damn, I hit the M1 a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Just can't bring myself to pay that much for new clubs. Broke college student lol. I'll probably grab one in 2019 after the M3 and R17

Ping Anser 10*
TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Went last night and tried the Epic, Epic SZ, and M1. Tried the respective 9, 9.5, and 10.5 heads. The best for me by far was the M1 10.5 head, turned to 9.75. Found the Rogue Silver 70 S to be the best shaft. Looking forward to it coming in and testing it on the course. I picked up 15 yards of carry on my SLDR with the attas gogo 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in for a driver fitting the other day and the clubs I wanted to try were the Epic, Epic SZ and the M1. I tried about 5 different heads and 5 different shaft combinations and the head that worked best for me was the 2017 M1 460cc. I had a couple longer shots with the Epic SZ but my misses were worst and didn't feel the extra 8 yards were worth sacrificing forgiveness.

It was also nice to know that the best shaft for me is my current gamer (AD BB7X) that I was fit for a couple of years ago. So they just need to change the adapter and install the new head which is good and saves me some money. I can't wait until it's built and I can take it onto the course!

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Degree - HC EvenFlow Blue 65
Callaway XR 4 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD DJ 8X
Titleist 816 H2 21 Degrees - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85Hybrid X
Srixon U65 20 Degrees (Bent 18) - HC HZRDUS BLK 105G 6.5
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50,55,60 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TeI3 Newport 2

I went in for a driver fitting the other day and the clubs I wanted to try were the Epic, Epic SZ and the M1. I tried about 5 different heads and 5 different shaft combinations and the head that worked best for me was the 2017 M1 460cc. I had a couple longer shots with the Epic SZ but my misses were worst and didn't feel the extra 8 yards were worth sacrificing forgiveness.

I know what you mean. Maybe once a round, the SZ gave me the occasional "h@ly cow that was long". But all the rest were either ho-hum, or what the F***!! Dumped the SZ after three of my worse driving rounds in years (the last round was just 2/14 fairways).

All is back to normal now and again averaging 12/14 fairways with both the G30LS and 2017 M1 460. It doesn't means anything, but I switched before RORS, haha!!

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

The 2017 M1 was the driver that finally unseated my 913 D3. I absolutely love the 913 and I am a little heartbroken that it's now in back-up status, BUT the M1 has been nothing short of exceptional. First driver I've owned that completely eliminates the left side for me which is a HUGE deal. This thing just wants to go straight. Another plus is that it feels and sounds great.

I originally ordered it with the new Matrix Black Tie, but switched it out for a Rogue Black and it has been an absolute dream. I'm reaching spots on my home course I've never seen before.

• 3 weeks later...

Do most of you who have this driver do much "Tinkering" with the weights?

My previous driver was a 915D2, so didn't really have much to adjust and when I first got fitted for my M1 my weights were all the way to the front (Lowest Height) and Middle from left the right. I went to the range today and was hitting it terrible so I did some tinkering and it now sits Middle on the "Height" setting and all the way in the "Draw" setting as my miss is over the top slice, and I was hitting it great.

I would ideally like to "set and forget it" but the fact that it has so much adjustability I'm afraid that as soon as my swing falters a bit then I'll go back to my tinkering ways.

Do most of you and tinker and adjust pretty regularly, or more so do you just leave it in one spot then adjust your swing around that?

Thank you,

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Degree - HC EvenFlow Blue 65
Callaway XR 4 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD DJ 8X
Titleist 816 H2 21 Degrees - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85Hybrid X
Srixon U65 20 Degrees (Bent 18) - HC HZRDUS BLK 105G 6.5
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50,55,60 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TeI3 Newport 2

I have been tinkering with the weights because unlike my old Ping this driver so far for me has been a little wild. It's got my old G20 by 25 yards when I put a good swing on it but I'm having a little difficulty so far finding a groove.

I'm a lefty who likes to look down the right side and swing a little down that line hoping for a nice 5-10 yard fade. But unfortunately the face wants to turn over for me a little bit. And that miss is ugly. So for me I got put in some work

Do most of you who have this driver do much "Tinkering" with the weights?

My previous driver was a 915D2, so didn't really have much to adjust and when I first got fitted for my M1 my weights were all the way to the front (Lowest Height) and Middle from left the right. I went to the range today and was hitting it terrible so I did some tinkering and it now sits Middle on the "Height" setting and all the way in the "Draw" setting as my miss is over the top slice, and I was hitting it great.

I would ideally like to "set and forget it" but the fact that it has so much adjustability I'm afraid that as soon as my swing falters a bit then I'll go back to my tinkering ways.

Do most of you and tinker and adjust pretty regularly, or more so do you just leave it in one spot then adjust your swing around that?

Thank you,

I don't really tinker at all with the weight forward or back, to me the club preforms much better putting it all the way back so that has been set it and forget it.

I did tinker quite a bit with the fade-draw setting and with the loft but now that I have it dialed in I've left it a lone for the past few weeks. I think half of the battle is getting the back weight were you want it, to me that weight has the biggest impact

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

Moved stock weights around. Added and moved lead tape around the head. Removed lead tape and added additional sliding weights instead. Now have two on the front track and one sliding weight in the back.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]