My Champions Tour quest thread-update post 530

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a difficult analysis.

Holes 17-2 kicked my a** every day.

I believe I am under par for the tournament aside from that stretch of 4.

I won't lie. The third double was red a** stupidity.

I missed a birdie putt, didn't focus on a 3 footer and missed it, then slammed the 6inch bogey putt out of frustration and it spun out.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Course shouldn't matter. My game is just in a place I need to like the course to play well.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Not a difficult analysis.

Holes 17-2 kicked my a** every day.

I believe I am under par for the tournament aside from that stretch of 4.

I won't lie. The third double was red a** stupidity.

I missed a birdie putt, didn't focus on a 3 footer and missed it, then slammed the 6inch bogey putt out of frustration and it spun out.

+17 on those 4 so far. Go out and kick those four holes' @sses tomorrow!!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

If you've been very conservative on those holes. Maybe you should be aggressive and attack, attack, attack. And when you get done with that attack again. I'm an aggressive player by nature, so if I get too conservative, I leave myself in bad spots, maybe not in bad spots on course wise, but mentally, like you said about using a 2i when you need a 3 wood.

Just to add insult in injury.

Hit decent tee shot on 9 it kicked right and went into a bunker. Worst rake job I have ever seen aside from a muni. He slammed the rake in and pulled and my ball went into the hole.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

d0ch0l1d4y, you're not only a l337 screen name and a pretty face! That is a great idea, maybe you can make a post with a bit more information on where to donate/send money, etc, and hopefully we can get some more people involved.

Good luck today, Monte!

JDRF has a tribute donation option.

https://www2.jdrf.or...rc=siteMenuLink

I plan on filling in the form as so:

We will need an address or something to send to the acknowledgement letter to, so that'll need to be worked out. Parmark do you know if Monte has a PO box or anything?

I'll also need to know which specific chapter it should go to:

-1 through 4 so far! Get it going today Monte!!!

FYI - I believe Monte's son's first name is Ronin.

Ronin - great name a samurai w/o a master. my wife and I were actually thinking about naming our son this.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

You guys will find this amusing. On the last hole I was so pissed I messed up the yardage. The ball came out left and was going in the water anyway, but it was 2-3 clubs short.

Then I used all of my anger and frustration and told off my ex wife.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I haven't posted much over the past 3 days, so it's time for my objective view as someone who was there but can step back a bit from it. Monte is my buddy and my teacher, but I've always told it like it is.

This course is pretty much the worst possible course that second stage could've been at for his game. If you've played it before, you'll know that there's hazards on both sides of the hole for 15-16 out of 18 holes. If you fly it 250-270 off the tee, you hit to the wide part of the fairway. If you hit it like Monte (~330) it brings every hazard into play.

The quality of shots that Monte hit were not at all indicated by his score. I can only think of 1-2 tee shots that were more than 10-15 yards off line. Monte and I discussed it on the range and we both agreed that his path is too far right. His misses are either a ball that starts a touch right and bleeds right, or starts at the left side of the fairway and turns over too much. Both reflective of a path that's too far right. Really no foul balls to speak of.

On a traditional tree lined course, he'd find his misses, punch out or manufacture something around the tress to the green. Here, even a marginal shot was a 1 stroke penalty.

I won't lie, I think there was a mental aspect to some of the misses. You could tell he didn't feel comfortable picking a line because misses on both sides of the hole meant you were toast. When you fear the miss, what do you do? You steer it. He's pushed it for so many years but that's not his predominant miss any more. His swing is in a better place so now he's shallower and his miss is left. Disconcerting to set up to the ball properly and make a good pass, but because you subconsciously fear the push you steer it on line. Mental manifesting itself in the physical to some degree.

Some good things to reflect on so far:

Monte has putted well. He could have made a few more but these greens are tough. There's no predominant grain so putts get pulled off line all over the place. We've seen putts that should be a clear cut left to right get pulled straight up hill.

Sand game-he's been impeccable. Greenside bunkers he's been almost 100% in saves despite some TERRIBLE lies.

Short game-he's made quite a few nice saves this week. The grain in this Bermuda has been brutal and it really affects how the ball reacts coming onto the green. He's combined nice wedge shots with good putts to save some strokes.

The mini is going to be a great club for him. Really only once did he make a less than stellar swing with it.

Those of you who've been to a clinic or taken lessons from him know that he has all the shots. In the end, it's been tee shots that have had the largest effect on his score. He needs more time as as a tournament player to overcome things like playing a course that you despise. He's gotten some terrible breaks but unfortunately that's golf. More tournament play will clean up his mental game, help him focus better, and clean up some loose shots. He's not even 50 yet. When Paul McGinley tells you that you've got game, that's saying something. I have no doubt he can get it done. Just a matter of time.

My question for the two of you Monte and Schnee, Why wasn't the tee shot question figured out in the practice rounds? For me, I like to know what I'm hitting before I go into a hole. I generally make my tee shot decisions before hand, unless something drastic happens or wind is crazy unusual. Just thinking the Mini solution could, possibly should, have been made before first round.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

My question for the two of you Monte and Schnee, Why wasn't the tee shot question figured out in the practice rounds? For me, I like to know what I'm hitting before I go into a hole. I generally make my tee shot decisions before hand, unless something drastic happens or wind is crazy unusual. Just thinking the Mini solution could, possibly should, have been made before first round.

The wind was a huge variable this week. It's been blowing pretty steady with big gusts and it's out of a different direction every day. No prevailing wind at all.

The wind was a huge variable this week. It's been blowing pretty steady with big gusts and it's out of a different direction every day. No prevailing wind at all.

Welcome to golf in Florida. LOL

Vokeys SM9 56,60

It's really very simple.

I struggled horribly on 4 holes.

For 3 rounds I was even, 2 under and 3 under coming into those holes. I played 3-9 around even. We all have holes on courses we know and play a lot that give us problems for no logical reason. Unfortunately, there were 4 in a row.

Those tee shots just gave me pause. The changing wind conditions made it worse. I played the rest of the course under par despite several problems.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

It's really very simple.

I struggled horribly on 4 holes.

For 3 rounds I was even, 2 under and 3 under coming into those holes. I played 3-9 around even. We all have holes on courses we know and play a lot that give us problems for no logical reason. Unfortunately, there were 4 in a row.

Those tee shots just gave me pause. The changing wind conditions made it worse. I played the rest of the course under par despite several problems.

For some perspective to those reading this thread casually...if Monte plays those 4 holes in even par...he'd be at -1 and T-25 right now.

Maybe 5iron off the tee on those holes tomorrow?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

So, did Schnee carry or use a push cart?

Pssssh, this is the Champions Tour

6D4647F0-3A68-47CA-BF01-914DB1AF03BC.gif

Omg.... lol...

I was quite surprised to see everyone in the field in carts. I brought my good walking shoes and...... didn't have to carry the bag lol.

didn't realize that

Vokeys SM9 56,60

I just want to thank all of you for the support. Especially the part where you guys understood I was venting while playing poorly and not making excuses.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

crap happens....personally I think that just being able to make it past the first stage after not really playing any tournaments is pretty darn impressive and it's pretty apparent that most of your struggles are from bad breaks and mental errors...bad breaks aren't always going to happen and mental errors can be minimized with more tournament practice and getting more comfortable. There is no doubt in my mind that you can do it. Maybe next time we can ship you some of those 2lb burritos from Phoenix, that will certainly help.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego