2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I've been lurking in this thread all summer but I finally wanted to chime in with a question.

I'd like to get out and play a few more tracks around town. What do you guys think are the best value courses within about an hour of the metro area? Not necessarily the cheapest places to play but the best bang for the buck.

I'm a high handicap so I find it hard to justify expensive greens fees when I'm spraying the ball everywhere but I do like playing nice courses.

It's right around the hour mark or slightly longer depending upon what part of Denver, but Highland Meadows up in Windsor is a very interesting course architecturally and has good conditions. Walnut Creek in Westminster is another good one with great conditions and some of the fastest greens for public courses in the state. Riverdale Dunes as others have mentioned although it's better in the winter when they don't water it and you can actually play shots on the ground. Ute Creek in Longmont isn't bad either although it's not as good now that the houses are all around it. All of those are good deals for what you get.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually playing Walnut Creek on Sunday. The greens are definitely challenging but I like it.

I live on the Arvada, Westminster border so getting up north is easy. I'll have to check out Highland Meadows and Ute Creek soon.

Courses that I personally like for the money are Hyland Hills, Westwoods, Legacy Ridge, and Walnut Creek.

Crazy, crazy round for me today. Made a last minute tee time at Aurora Hills & shot 81, which is my best round of the season. My game has been a bit of a mess the last few weeks. Haven't been able to get off the tee. Played Murphy Creek after work on Thursday and shot a million... needless to say, I've been discouraged.

Shot a 6 over 42 on the front nine. I was spraying the ball off the tee something horrible. My 42 could've easily been a 50. Got up and down to save par 3 times. Up and down to save bogey 3 times. Missed every fairway and every green for the first 8 holes... and not just slight misses. All over the place misses. My green side wedges and putting were great, and saved my butt. Finishing the front at only +6 was a miracle. On the 9th I moved my ball position back about two balls and striped a drive straight down the middle.

Then the back 9, I played as good I ever have. Was +1 through 16. Needed two pars to shoot 79. 17 is a par 3, and the pin was right side. I pulled a little left and hit he green, but had 50+ feet. Left my lag about 6 ft away and barely missed the par putt on the edge. So now I need a birdie on 18. Crummy drive off the heel so I had 185-190 for my second shot from the rough. Hit a perfect hybrid, landed just short of the green. Any other day it gets up on the green, but things were still damp, so I was about a foot off the front. Had 12-18 inches of collar, and I decided to putt, which was a bad decision. Ball stuck in the grass and popped up on me, rather than rolling smooth. So much for 79. After that I just wiped at the 4 footer and missed he lip, but my then I didn't care. 80 vs 81 didn't mean anything... 79 was what I wanted.

Crazy how I can go from high 90s to low 80s in two days. This game can be so dumb sometimes. LOL.

Didn't know where else to post this so figured here made sense...had quite possibly my favorite day of golf ever today. Did I shoot my best score ever? Get a hole in one? Win some big bets? Nope.

My 6 year old asked me to go the range today. We went over to CommonGround, where we usually go. We spent 4 hours at the course together. Hit some balls on the range, played the par 3 course, grabbed some lunch, then spent about 2 hours on the chipping green chipping and hitting out of the sand. I'd been playing some crappy golf lately. A day like today reminded me what is important about this game and what I love about it.

Want to know the most frustrating thing in the world? Taking out your driver on a tee box, and having absolutely NO idea how far it's going to go.

Went out to Fox Hollow today (Links/Canyon), for the first time, and what a beautiful course that was. Was not expecting to like it so much. However, my driver...what in the holy Hell.

Took it out of the bag 9 times today. Distances ranged from 199 yards - 287 yards. That's ****** up. I can't really complain, because I ended up hitting 5 out of those 9 fairways, and the misses were mere feet into the rough. Nothing was super off target. But having no idea how far the ball will fly, is super annoying. I wish I could get some consistency off the tee.

Played the black tees today (7,030 yards), and there were quite a few 425+ yard par 4's.

d2Ixc11.jpg

This hole right here (#2 on Caynons) required a 240 carry just to reach the fairway. Number 7 on the Canyons is the same way, 240 carry to reach the beginning of the fairway. I didn't really think much of it, but when I'm ranging between 199-287 yards...who knows if I'll actually reach it?

My longest drive of the day actually came from my 3-wood (299 yards).

9 shots with my driver - 253.4 yards average.

4 shots with my 3 wood - 256.8 yards average.

I'm about ready to just permanently shelf my driver.

Want to know the most frustrating thing in the world? Taking out your driver on a tee box, and having absolutely NO idea how far it's going to go.

Went out to Fox Hollow today (Links/Canyon), for the first time, and what a beautiful course that was. Was not expecting to like it so much. However, my driver...what in the holy Hell.

Took it out of the bag 9 times today. Distances ranged from 199 yards - 287 yards. That's ****** up. I can't really complain, because I ended up hitting 5 out of those 9 fairways, and the misses were mere feet into the rough. Nothing was super off target. But having no idea how far the ball will fly, is super annoying. I wish I could get some consistency off the tee.

Played the black tees today (7,030 yards), and there were quite a few 425+ yard par 4's.

d2Ixc11.jpg

This hole right here (#2 on Caynons) required a 240 carry just to reach the fairway. Number 7 on the Canyons is the same way, 240 carry to reach the beginning of the fairway. I didn't really think much of it, but when I'm ranging between 199-287 yards...who knows if I'll actually reach it?

My longest drive of the day actually came from my 3-wood (299 yards).

9 shots with my driver - 253.4 yards average.

4 shots with my 3 wood - 256.8 yards average.

I'm about ready to just permanently shelf my driver.

Fox Hollow is a pretty solid course. Glad you liked it. The Links 9 was in good shape a week or so back when I went out.

drn92

My frustrations continue as well. I feel like my game management has gotten better and my swing and putting game are vastly improved but my scores remain the same. I play solid for 15 or 16 holes, but have a few blow up holes. Some of it recently is due to some bad luck but that's part of the game.

Yesterday, I was 9 over through 13 at GVR (could have been 7 over but I blew a 1 foot putt and a 3 foot putt foolishly), hit the fairway on 14 but then yanked my approach hard left leaving me in a terrible terrible spot. I ended up with a 5 over on that hole alone, which hurt mentally. I tried to keep focus it, but ended up going double then triple before regaining composure to finish bogey, par.

My putting has improved this year quite a bit, though I had some issues yesterday with 5 3-putts, all GIRs too. 2 of them were just pure stupidity and impatience. I struggled with long putts for sure, which was a bit out of the norm for me lately.

All in all, my handicap is back where it was to start the season, and it's so frustrating since I've been playing quite a bit this year. I was really hoping to have dropped my index by a few points by now, but perhaps that's unreasonable and I'll always be a mid-capper. Frustrating...

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I'm in town til Thursday guys, anyone have a game going on Wednesday that I can jump in on? Shoot me a PM!

Tim, go grab two books. Zen Golf and Mastering Golfs Mental Game. I think those two will have some things to help you put yourself in a better mental place on the course. Like I said yesterday, I think your swing is pretty good and consistent there were just some little errors that were compounded three or four times. Like me as well, you have to be able to harness your expections. That's why I dig the handicap par scorecard so much because before I was going out every time thinking I needed to break 80 so shooting 96 or something was borderline making me want to throw my clubs in the lake and quit the game.

That's why I dig the handicap par scorecard so much because before I was going out every time thinking I needed to break 80 so shooting 96 or something was borderline making me want to throw my clubs in the lake and quit the game.

What I like about playing in Sweden is that, unless you're playing in a high-level tournament, you are always playing using the Stableford system--and that's how you also record your score for handicap purposes. I think it puts less pressure you on; plus the added bonus of picking up after your net double bogey stroke to keep your frustrations down.

I haven't thought much about golf since coming back home. I'm kind of sad I missed out on my golf league's Ryder Cup tournament today where they play all 27 at Fox Hollow (not to mention the draft party last Thursday). I need to get my game face back on because I have a match play match at GVR on Sunday.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Didn't know where else to post this so figured here made sense...had quite possibly my favorite day of golf ever today. Did I shoot my best score ever? Get a hole in one? Win some big bets? Nope.

My 6 year old asked me to go the range today. We went over to CommonGround, where we usually go. We spent 4 hours at the course together. Hit some balls on the range, played the par 3 course, grabbed some lunch, then spent about 2 hours on the chipping green chipping and hitting out of the sand. I'd been playing some crappy golf lately. A day like today reminded me what is important about this game and what I love about it.

This is super, super cool. I'm not a dad but I've gotten some time in with my nephews (4 & 7) and it's awesome.

I didn't know you could keep a 6 year old's attention span that long. Your boy must really like the game!

My frustrations continue as well. I feel like my game management has gotten better and my swing and putting game are vastly improved but my scores remain the same. I play solid for 15 or 16 holes, but have a few blow up holes. Some of it recently is due to some bad luck but that's part of the game.

Yesterday, I was 9 over through 13 at GVR (could have been 7 over but I blew a 1 foot putt and a 3 foot putt foolishly), hit the fairway on 14 but then yanked my approach hard left leaving me in a terrible terrible spot. I ended up with a 5 over on that hole alone, which hurt mentally. I tried to keep focus it, but ended up going double then triple before regaining composure to finish bogey, par.

My putting has improved this year quite a bit, though I had some issues yesterday with 5 3-putts, all GIRs too. 2 of them were just pure stupidity and impatience. I struggled with long putts for sure, which was a bit out of the norm for me lately.

All in all, my handicap is back where it was to start the season, and it's so frustrating since I've been playing quite a bit this year. I was really hoping to have dropped my index by a few points by now, but perhaps that's unreasonable and I'll always be a mid-capper. Frustrating...

I'm in town til Thursday guys, anyone have a game going on Wednesday that I can jump in on? Shoot me a PM!

Tim, go grab two books. Zen Golf and Mastering Golfs Mental Game. I think those two will have some things to help you put yourself in a better mental place on the course. Like I said yesterday, I think your swing is pretty good and consistent there were just some little errors that were compounded three or four times. Like me as well, you have to be able to harness your expections. That's why I dig the handicap par scorecard so much because before I was going out every time thinking I needed to break 80 so shooting 96 or something was borderline making me want to throw my clubs in the lake and quit the game.

Had fun with these two characters @ GVR Friday! Good guys, just like everyone I've met on here.

Had fun with these two characters @ GVR Friday! Good guys, just like everyone I've met on here.

That Brian guy's another story...right? :tongue:

This is super, super cool. I'm not a dad but I've gotten some time in with my nephews (4 & 7) and it's awesome.

I didn't know you could keep a 6 year old's attention span that long. Your boy must really like the game!

It's so fun getting out with kids that age when they're interested, fun that you have nephews to go out with. In terms of mine, he's obsessed! My 4 year old may like it even more, but he was at the doctor with my wife so he couldn't make it. Honestly I just let him dictate what we do and how long we do it for. Like on the par 3, he didn't want to play the last few holes, so I just hit some shots from the tee boxes and then picked up so that he wouldn't have to wait for me to chip or putt. He just kept wanting to chip or hit out of the sand, and I certainly wasn't going to stop him! As my wife said when I got home, "you were in daddy heaven!" She was right.

What time did you guys play? I played GVR Friday as well, teed off at 10:30 or so.

Anyone playing this weekend/Monday or Tuesday? Anyone interested in possibly getting together in Longmont at Sunset or Twin Peaks? - or around the area? Not the nicest courses around, I know, but they are affordable. :) my brother and I would enjoy meeting up with some CoWRXers sometime!

Would have loved too but saw this too late. Email me next time (I'll pm you my email).

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

This is awesome. As a father of 2 I can't wait for this to happen.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

I feel your pain bro. I used to be fairly steady pars, bogeys and an occasional birdie. This season I'm all over the map even though I think I'm hitting the ball so much better since Monte's clinic. I wish I could put my finger on one consistent cause for all the blowup holes but it usually a different issue each time.

Saturday at our MGA event at Blackstone I was -2 for 13 holes and +13 for the other 5. WTF? I had 3 doubles (a sh*&k on a chipshot and a bad break), a triple (another chip shot shank) and a quad (2 bad swings from not committing to the shot). If I bogey those 5 holes I shoot 75 and win my flight instead of 83 :(

But I got home and my oldest ran up to me, gave me a huge hug and kiss and said he missed me. Everything went back into perspective... and I didn't have to kick the dog... just kidding.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Also, Tim, don't be too tough on yourself. You can play for sure. And the end of that round at GVR was NUTS. Never seen wind/weather like it.

yeah, no matter where you were on Friday it was crazy. I was at the range and the bad stuff rolled in a crap was flying everywhere.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

That Brian guy's another story...right? :tongue:

Psshhhh, it was my third time playing with you anyway..... yawn. Lol, you just hadn't posted anything.

The dad hat was room enough to post about.

It's so fun getting out with kids that age when they're interested, fun that you have nephews to go out with. In terms of mine, he's obsessed! My 4 year old may like it even more, but he was at the doctor with my wife so he couldn't make it. Honestly I just let him dictate what we do and how long we do it for. Like on the par 3, he didn't want to play the last few holes, so I just hit some shots from the tee boxes and then picked up so that he wouldn't have to wait for me to chip or putt. He just kept wanting to chip or hit out of the sand, and I certainly wasn't going to stop him! As my wife said when I got home, "you were in daddy heaven!" She was right.

What time did you guys play? I played GVR Friday as well, teed off at 10:30 or so.

Your short game is going to get pretty solid in the years ahead!

We teed off at 12:29. We might have walked by each other as you were making the turn.

Also, Tim, don't be too tough on yourself. You can play for sure. And the end of that round at GVR was NUTS. Never seen wind/weather like it.

This was actually Saturday. I couldn't be too upset with Friday since that weather got ridiculously out of control. I caught some bad breaks that really hurt my first round at Riverdale that torpedo'd my score, but that's the game. I really need to eliminate those 2-3 bad holes in a round.

I picked up one of the books Rob recommended and am about halfway through it. I do think my game is just on the edge of improving dramatically, I just need to clear that initial hurdle, which I believe is mostly the mental aspect since a bad hole will crush me for the next hole or two. I definitely see the benefit of it. This season, I have applied a more positive approach to putting, and I've been holing some clutch putts because of it, so I'm hoping I can apply a better attitude to the rest of my game and start posting some good scores.

One of the things that Rob does that I really like, is he uses handicap par for his scorecard to give him a more realistic feel for his game and not get too down on himself. When I evaluate my game like that, I'm a fairly consistent handicap par golfer...I just really want to improve!

Edel E-1

On another note, I just got my new sticks yesterday. Mizuno MP-15's with Project X LZ 6.0. I didn't have a chance to him em yesterday, but am heading out after work today. Can't wait!

Edel E-1

On another note, I just got my new sticks yesterday. Mizuno MP-15's with Project X LZ 6.0. I didn't have a chance to him em yesterday, but am heading out after work today. Can't wait!

Nice.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

One of the things that Rob does that I really like, is he uses handicap par for his scorecard to give him a more realistic feel for his game and not get too down on himself. When I evaluate my game like that, I'm a fairly consistent handicap par golfer...I just really want to improve!

This is interesting - how does it work?

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Take your handicap, multiply it by the course slope, divide by 113, then spread the strokes across the most difficult holes on the course. So if you were to play GVR from the blues, which has a slope of 132 and assuming you're a 6hcp, you would give yourself an additional stroke on the 7 hardest holes to set those at your handicap par. Similar to getting pops at your men's club stroke play events.

Edel E-1

Take your handicap, multiply it by the course slope, divide by 113, then spread the strokes across the most difficult holes on the course. So if you were to play GVR from the blues, which has a slope of 132 and assuming you're a 6hcp, you would give yourself an additional stroke on the 7 hardest holes to set those at your handicap par. Similar to getting pops at your men's club stroke play events.

It's a great way to judge how you're playing as a specific index golfer and judging yourself as said index versus trying to compare yourself to course Par which is always hard on you because we're not supposed to hit course Par at this high of an index (well, I'm not, lol). So when you start seeing under par for handicap par scoring, you know you're improving. I consider it to be a decent round if I'm -/+2 of handicap par.

It's a great way to judge how you're playing as a specific index golfer and judging yourself as said index versus trying to compare yourself to course Par which is always hard on you because we're not supposed to hit course Par at this high of an index (well, I'm not, lol). So when you start seeing under par for handicap par scoring, you know you're improving. I consider it to be a decent round if I'm -/+2 of handicap par.

Going to give this a shot this weekend. Might make me feel better about my game :P

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4