2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I had no idea that Fitzsimmons golf course was closing down, too. Last day to play is this Sunday. $19 for 18 holes this whole week.

It almost celebrated its 100th birthday.

They actually got it extended. Closing down on the 17th now. Only $10 for 18 holes if you walk it.

I'm going out there on Sunday. I've never played it, but for $10, it beats going to a driving range. Course looks like it's short and flat enough to walk it without a problem.

Wow, that's pretty sad to hear - had so many chances to play it when I was working at University Hospital but never did. May try to get out there Saturday if anyone is interested.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

Any idea what flight tracker/simulator they use there? Oddly vague on the website. No mention of Trackman, Foresight, Full Swing Golf, etc etc.

All but one bay had GC2's, iirc. I don't remember what the other one was. It was one I hadn't seen before.

Yeah, the guy who runs it used to run the same setup down off of Parker, but I'd imagine he had to shut down because his prices were so low. You could get a bay for two hours for like $17. I used to go down there a lot and have a beer, play a course or two, and be out the door for like $20. Park Hill's setup is the exact same if I recall, but more expensive than he used to be.

Got a last-minute text on Friday from a fellow dad/father of the family nannied for about playing Red Hawk Ridge on Saturday. (Sorry Jacob, we'll get out soon!) We used to play a lot together but hadn't been out in over a year, so I bit at the chance. Golf was hilarious that morning.

RHR is wacky. Like, loads of shots downhill..and when I'm taking irons off the tee, you know it's crazy. The ground was firm, so I hit 5i on #1 and into a bunker. Pitched out, hit a real easy wedge to what I assumed would be about 5 feet (not joking, my wedges are much better!) and the ball honest-to-goodness bounced 30 feet in the air off the surface of the green, over a ridge, where I had to then chip it back towards the frozen green sloping downhill. Landed my chip short of the fringe, rolled out, and two-putted for a 5 while laughing like I've not laughed in a long time.

The rest of the front 9 was actually really fun. We weren't even thinking about "perfect" shots because there was so much guesswork involved on where to land it that we actually hit better shots because we were landing the ball 30 yards short of the greens and letting them bounce and run up. I've never played a round quite like it, and considering the conditions, I had a 43 on the front and a 39 on the back (including a 4-putt on a par 3 and a double the hole before after pulling a drive.) 82 on a crazy, yet incredibly fun day.

I have to say, if you'd told me the greens were going to be frozen like that beforehand, I wouldn't have bothered to come out...but I'd play them like that again in a heartbeat. Too funny, and a perfect way to relax and just enjoy the game.

Ground was definitely hard/frozen this weekend.

Played Saturday at Pine Creek in the Springs. Love that course, and the greens weren't actually that bad. They'd recently been topdressed/sanded, so maybe that's why they were holding a little better. You could literally see a splash of sand when your ball landed on the green on the fly. Then I played Fitzsimmons Sunday. Holy crap, was that pointless. Greens were harder than concrete and faster than Augusta. You couldn't land on the green, or the ball would bounce 10 feet in the air and run out 30 yards past the green. But you also couldn't hit in front of the green and let it roll up, because most greens were guarded by bunkers in front. It was a silly stupid round of golf. 3 drives that went 300+ yards. A couple 3 woods that went 275+.

Then I did that indoor Pebble Beach round out at Park Hill last night. Pretty fun, and definitely a good price. Not the most accurate though. All bays were running Foresight's simulator software. Hardware was a mixture of GC2s, and GC2-T. Some read pretty accurate, some were not even close. We started in one bay, using a GC2-T, and I went +1 through 9 holes. Distances seemed pretty accurate (for playing at sea level), but ball movement was pretty exaggerated. I was hitting them pretty straight all day at the course, but the simulator was showing some pretty wild slices and hooks. Then we got moved to a different bay, and I suddenly went +11 on the back 9. This thing was so off the mark it wasn't even fun/funny. 50 yard pitch shots were only going 25-30 yards. The ball would hit the screen, and then the trail would pick up 5 feet right of where the ball hit. Just wasn't set up properly. I was showing 200 yard carries with the driver and being 50-60 yards offline, where the previous bay I was at had a 240-250 carries with about 5-10 yards of movement.

Dude running it was super cool though. It was a little experiment/beta testing for future indoor tournaments like this. So he let us stay after and just keep playing on the simulators. He also gave us a card to come back for a free 18 hole round on the machines. I had him set up #17 in a "closest to the pin" mode. He messed with the machine and got it reading a lot more accurately. I hit about 50 balls, hitting & holding the green about 25% of the time. Tried some shot shaping too. Actually kinda taught myself how to hit a draw, which was fun. But my best shot of the night was putting it to 6' from the hole. Probably the straightest ball flight I've hit in my life, and I definitely felt it in the swing/contact too.

864V1Jm.gif

Played Saturday at Pine Creek in the Springs. Love that course, and the greens weren't actually that bad. They'd recently been topdressed/sanded, so maybe that's why they were holding a little better. You could literally see a splash of sand when your ball landed on the green on the fly.

We'll be down in the Springs over Christmas. Sounds like you've got good things to say about it. Worth checking out?

Played Saturday at Pine Creek in the Springs. Love that course, and the greens weren't actually that bad. They'd recently been topdressed/sanded, so maybe that's why they were holding a little better. You could literally see a splash of sand when your ball landed on the green on the fly.

We'll be down in the Springs over Christmas. Sounds like you've got good things to say about it. Worth checking out?

I'm a big fan of it so far. Have only played it twice since November, so it's pretty dormant. But the conditions are great for this time of year. The layout is really fun too. I've been getting Hot Deals on it for $28 with a cart on a weekend. So the price point is worth the hour drive it takes me to get there.

Got grouped with an 87 year old guy. Hope I'm able to play at that age, and as well as he did.

My 92-year-old grandfather can still shoot his age. On his 80th birthday, he shot a 73.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I will be moving out to Fort Collins the 1st of the year, excited to meet up with other WRX golf nuts! Won't be able to play until April due to wrist surgery but excited nonetheless

Welcome to Fort Fun (Fort Collins). Best of luck resting your wrist. There is some good golf in FoCo. I play at Collindale Golf Club for most of my rounds. Good track that is tight and have some of the best greens in Colorado, bar none (when people fix their ball marks). Southridge Golf Course is a good track and it is a bit wider open. Greens have come around over the years. City Park Golf Course offers a short 9 hole course near downtown that has a bit of a following. There are a few courses nearby that are pretty good in Loveland and Windsor.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Only course I've played in Ft. Collins is Southridge, it was OK. Really like Marianna Butte in Loveland though.

I enjoyed Southridge, I was with two who don't play much so we played it shorter than I normally would have, but it looks like there is a lot of difference between the whites and blues. But I thought it had some fun holes. I like Marianna Buttes a lot too.

In Fort Collins, Collindale is really solid. No spectacular, or real eye candy, just a course that requires good shots to score well. I think they hold a US Open qualifier there. But it's always slow there (at least for the few times I've played it).

My home course is Collindale. Yes, the first stage of the US Open qualifying is held at Collindale. I think they have hosted the first round for a decade and a half now. For those playing Collindale the game plan is to drive the ball straight or with great control or you better have an outstanding low screaming hot running punch shot in your bag. Collindale may be vanilla in appearance but the course can wear on you until you break. I believe Collindale is a good test of golf. Rounds can be slow but are generally in the 4.5 hour range for 18. The staff at Collindale are excellent. CB&Potts is a good place to unwind after the round for a good "Barley-pop" and casual dining.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

re: the fellow asking about northside courses, mens clubs, etc. +1 what all have said. we are spoiled for great golf up here.

my faves and best values

legacy/walnut duo is a great value

riverdale ... i know knolls gets disgarded, and i adore dunes, but knolls is a great value and kept up well

colo national is fantastic... can get crowded

broadlands is cool layout, but its the home of the 5hr round and the greens are SLOW. which isnt end of world, but then go play where they are quicker and you are really adjusting.

ute creek and twin peaks both good. twin peaks used to be publinks quali course... old layout but always great greens

omni is overrated in my opinion... but awesome practice area.

new thorncreek will be cool i bet. huge capital improvements there.

saddleback in firestone is worth a play! field of dreams course.

my honest opinion is that there is so much good public... and in many cases in bettet shape than much of the private especially on northside.

my two favorites are probably riverdale dunes and saddleback.

finally.. avid golfer used to do a passport.. i did it years ago and was a good way to play a bunch of courses. some restrictions tho. better for weekday play generally. i think they would host ur ghin too.

also... there are some good unique mountain tracks... make sure to try some.

take care!!!!

+1 for Saddleback and Ute! Love playing both those courses.

I have played Ute Creek at least 100 rounds and Saddleback 75 rounds since both courses opened. I find both courses good tracks, especially from the back tees. The problem with both Ute Creek and Saddleback for me was the wide and spacious fairways were too forgiving. Hitting 11/13 - 12/13 fairways on Ute Creek or 11/14 - 12/14 fairways on Saddleback became pretty standard for my rounds there as precise accuracy is not a premium on those courses in terms of fairways. The greens are another story.

When I moved back to Fort Collins (from Longmont) and started to play most of my rounds at Collindale Golf Club I found that my accuracy was a liability and found my ball ending up under or behind a stand of trees. My accuracy is tightening down quite a bit now but still have a way to go.

That said, both Ute Creek and Saddleback are decent tracks and I enjoy both of them. I still try to get a round or two in at Saddleback each season.

That said,

I can't remember the last time I swung a club. It's really bumming me out. I've been sick for what feels like an eternity, and now I feel like death. Top that with studying for a certification, work and the holidays, I feel like I'm never going to get a chance to practice or play! :(

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I can't remember the last time I swung a club. It's really bumming me out. I've been sick for what feels like an eternity, and now I feel like death. Top that with studying for a certification, work and the holidays, I feel like I'm never going to get a chance to practice or play! :(

Not to mention the snow...

Got a last-minute green light to play 9 at Murphy today. Had some gnarly drives today that somehow didn't phase me, but inside 10 ft, I just kept running them way past the hole (and really not even scaring the hole). Took no swings or putts because I was chasing daylight, thinned a ball out of a fairway bunker and off a rake on the first, topped a drive on the second, and realized I had plenty of time on the third, so play leveled out. 39 total, with but was +4 after 2. Was one of those days where I struck the ball okay but the birdie putts just never felt like they were going to come close to falling; one of those days where a 39 could have been a 35 if I was holing anything, or could have been a 43 if I was missing par putts. This game is funny, but it sure is nice to have realistic looks at birdie after hitting a wedge. Now to learn how to make them.

I'm heading to Sweden on Thursday for the rest of the year (plus the first week of 2018). No golf for me! Two days after I get back, I'm then heading to Florida--sadly, for work, so no golf there, either.

Wishing everyone a happy holidays, and I hope to hit the course with you all sometime in 2018! I think we've created a great community of Colorado golfers, and I hope the 2018 thread is just as fun.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I finally got out to the range Saturday. It wasn't pretty, but still felt good to swing a club again. I also wanted to get a video submitted to Swing-U since I was selected a few weeks ago through WRX for a year subscription to their service and provide a review. For those interested, you can check out my write-up, as well as others here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1573254-member-reviews-swing-u-online-instruction-see-what-they-are-saying/

The TLDR part is, I think it's a great system with knowledgeable and helpful instructors, not to mention, it's a great value for those interested in online lessons. You can't really beat the price at $150/yr. I'm pretty sure they do a trial subscription to see if the online thing works for you.

Hope everyone has a great holiday! Cheers!

Edel E-1

Headed to Bandon on the cheap March 28-31, and had a friend drop out - thought I'd extend the offer to anyone here - heading out from DIA the evening of the 27th and coming back April 1st in the afternoon. PM for more details if interested!

That would be so awesome, but I have feeling we have very different definitions of "on the cheap". :p

I finally got out to the range Saturday. It wasn't pretty, but still felt good to swing a club again. I also wanted to get a video submitted to Swing-U since I was selected a few weeks ago through WRX for a year subscription to their service and provide a review. For those interested, you can check out my write-up, as well as others here: http://www.golfwrx.c...hey-are-saying/

The TLDR part is, I think it's a great system with knowledgeable and helpful instructors, not to mention, it's a great value for those interested in online lessons. You can't really beat the price at $150/yr. I'm pretty sure they do a trial subscription to see if the online thing works for you.

Hope everyone has a great holiday! Cheers!

That's great that you were chosen for this! Hopefully it works out long term. Seems like a much better deal, from a monetary viewpoint, versus individual lessons in person.

I went into South Broadway Country Club for a second time. This time was a "lesson", in that I did the Trackman Combine, and he took notes of everything. My clear weak points were wedge game 100 yards in, and my long irons/driver consistency. So he worked out a game plan on things to work on. Now I just gotta pony up for the $100/hour lessons. All in time, all in time.

Here's my combine score. Pretty happy with it, considering it's my first time ever attempting one. 6 shots at each distance. Point value awarded based on distance from the "hole". Hole being the exact distance and exact center line. I put a couple within 5' and got a full 100 points on some individual shots.

BG8OBYv.jpg

That's pretty impressive. Nice work! Get those 90yd and in shots down and you'll definitely shave a few points off your handicap!

I meant to ask this earlier...any reason the GC-2's at Park Hill were so far off? I've always wanted to get my irons dialed in and potentially figure out which of a few golf balls perform best for me, but your experience worries me. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $100, and the price at Park Hill is quite inexpensive.

What is your general feeling about South Broadway Country Club? It sounds nice, just seems a bit pricey.

Edel E-1

Woof. Finally looking at the weather. So much for any notion of golf on my birthday...first time in years I've not been able to play.

Good looking numbers, Jacob! Excited to see what you can turn your game into with some wedge work.

I'm hoping to walk a quick 9 the next 2 days, after that, doesn't look good.

Headed to Bandon on the cheap March 28-31, and had a friend drop out - thought I'd extend the offer to anyone here - heading out from DIA the evening of the 27th and coming back April 1st in the afternoon. PM for more details if interested!

We went the same time last year and lucked out on amazing weather! Have fun! That place is my happy place, an absolute golf trip Mecca.

That's pretty impressive. Nice work! Get those 90yd and in shots down and you'll definitely shave a few points off your handicap!

I meant to ask this earlier...any reason the GC-2's at Park Hill were so far off? I've always wanted to get my irons dialed in and potentially figure out which of a few golf balls perform best for me, but your experience worries me. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $100, and the price at Park Hill is quite inexpensive.

What is your general feeling about South Broadway Country Club? It sounds nice, just seems a bit pricey.

Both are perfectly fine. I prefer Trackman to GC2's any day though. Especially since you sign up for an account and can view your numbers at anytime online. Foresight might have that option too...but I've never been offered that. The price difference isn't all that different. $25/hour at Park Hill with a GC2 that might spit out some funky numbers from time to time...or $40/hour at SBCC on a Trackman that's pretty much spot on every shot.

SBCC still isn't technically open open yet. He has the 2 hitting bays set up, and is doing lessons/renting them out...but the rest of the building is under construction. He's going to have a full bar, but right now it's a couple mini fridges with some beer in it. So you can't just walk in and play, gotta schedule times before hand.

I initially read your post wrong on pricing at SBCC. So what did the combine end up costing you?

And Park Hill must have raised their prices since the last time we went. We only paid $10/hr back in April or May. It was crazy cheap. Their peak pricing back then was $20/hr.

Edit: I see they upped their prices now. It's now $20/hr 9am-noon, $25/hr noon-5pm, and $30/hr 5pm-9pm. It used to be $10/15/20.

Edel E-1