2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Hey guys,

I'll be moving to Colorado (either Westminster, Thornton or the Arvada area) sometime in December and I was hoping I could get some information on affordable golf memberships and mens clubs. Although I'm not that great, I like to play competitively. Any information you could provide would be great. Thank you

The only true private club on the west side of town that’s I know of is Rolling Hills. Nice course, but last I heard was $35k initiation and $500 monthly for dues and food. Omni Interlocken has a nice 27 hole facility that has an annual membership option, as do serveral of the public courses. There are a bunch of solid public courses on the west side, some mentioned already.

Good luck on your move!

drn92

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I'll be moving to Colorado (either Westminster, Thornton or the Arvada area) sometime in December and I was hoping I could get some information on affordable golf memberships and mens clubs. Although I'm not that great, I like to play competitively. Any information you could provide would be great. Thank you

There's really only one private course in the Westminster/Thornton/Arvada area which is The Ranch. Nice group of people there with good conditions, but I hate the course layout. If you like the course and don't mind that you are paying for a pool and clubhouse with food minimums it's not that expensive (especially if they're still offering the initiation deal they were offering earlier this year). You definitely would want to do a preview and play the course first though because I know a lot of people who don't like the layout.

The Omni Interlocken in Broomfield has 27 holes and it's pretty expensive for non annual pass holders, so as long as they aren't hosting a tournament it's going to be like a private course.

A little further north in Longmont is the Fox Hill country club which is a nice private course that isn't really expensive and gives you the ability to play some other private courses too.

Alternatively there are a lot of really good public courses in the area and most of them offer annual passes which give you an early shot at tee times. Westminster offers a pass for both of it's courses (Walnut Creek and Legacy Ridge), but if you're in the city and getting resident rates, you'd have to play 3 times a week to make the pass worthwhile and residents can book ahead enough that it's not an issue getting a tee time. They also have a core group of 20-30 guys that play 9 holes every Monday night during the season at Walnut Creek along with one official event a month and often a group playing most weekends there aren't events. Walnut Creek is a great layout. Legacy Ridge has some tricked up weird holes. Both are some of the best conditioned public courses in the state with fast greens.

Riverdale Dunes and Knolls also has a pretty big men's club and the Dunes is a nice layout although I think they put too much water down in the summer. West Woods golf course in Arvada has 27 holes and a pretty big men's club. The Broadlands in Broomfield has a pretty big men's club. Others mentioned Colorado National and Indian Peaks which are up north a little more. Coal Creek in Louisville is another public course with a men's club.

There also is at least one traveling men's club I know of that plays public courses all over Denver (http://frgclub.com/). You end up paying rack rates so they can book the events ahead of time and the payoffs are in clubhouse credit everywhere though.

There also is at least one traveling men's club I know of that plays public courses all over Denver (http://frgclub.com/). You end up paying rack rates so they can book the events ahead of time and the payoffs are in clubhouse credit everywhere though.

Not to mention the two national/local amateur tours.

I'm a member of Front Range Golf Club. Kimmer, if you have any questions about FRGC, don't hesitate to PM me.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

My Comments in the Quote. I grew up in Lafayette at Indian Peaks and I know the north side very well. I haven't played all of the Arvada courses but all the rest I'm very familiar with.

Hey guys,

There's really only one private course in the Westminster/Thornton/Arvada area which is The Ranch. Nice group of people there with good conditions, but I hate the course layout. If you like the course and don't mind that you are paying for a pool and clubhouse with food minimums it's not that expensive (especially if they're still offering the initiation deal they were offering earlier this year). You definitely would want to do a preview and play the course first though because I know a lot of people who don't like the layout.

Agreed, I've played it once and it was a little funky. Parkland style without trees and the greens are all pitched pretty hard back to front.

The Omni Interlocken in Broomfield has 27 holes and it's pretty expensive for non annual pass holders, so as long as they aren't hosting a tournament it's going to be like a private course.

I have a friend that signed up there this last spring. He likes it. Our old superintendent just finished his first month up there and he'll get it looking nice. He says they have a ton of drainage issues but the greens are really good.

A little further north in Longmont is the Fox Hill country club which is a nice private course that isn't really expensive and gives you the ability to play some other private courses too.

I used to get reciprocal rates here and it's a REALLY, REALLY good golf course. Parkland style for sure and it will test every part of your game, very tough but fair. If I lived closer I would sign up here because I feel like it would make me a better golfer. The raised nose attitude would drive me nuts though, growing up middle-class and all.

Alternatively there are a lot of really good public courses in the area and most of them offer annual passes which give you an early shot at tee times. Westminster offers a pass for both of it's courses (Walnut Creek and Legacy Ridge), but if you're in the city and getting resident rates, you'd have to play 3 times a week to make the pass worthwhile and residents can book ahead enough that it's not an issue getting a tee time. They also have a core group of 20-30 guys that play 9 holes every Monday night during the season at Walnut Creek along with one official event a month and often a group playing most weekends there aren't events. Walnut Creek is a great layout. Legacy Ridge has some tricked up weird holes. Both are some of the best conditioned public courses in the state with fast greens.

Amen to this. I live in downtown Denver but if I left CO National I would most likely do their annual pass. $2500/yr for unlimited golf is solid. Both courses get a ton of play but they're always in fantastic shape. Unfortunately you still have to pay for cart and range balls. Considering how brutal the walk is at Walnut that's a big bummer. Motivation to stay in shape I guess.

Riverdale Dunes and Knolls also has a pretty big men's club and the Dunes is a nice layout although I think they put too much water down in the summer. West Woods golf course in Arvada has 27 holes and a pretty big men's club. The Broadlands in Broomfield has a pretty big men's club. Others mentioned Colorado National and Indian Peaks which are up north a little more. Coal Creek in Louisville is another public course with a men's club.

Riverdale is great, both courses. Dunes is undoubtably better but neither offer more than a punch card and it's not a huge discount. I like the layout at Broadlands but those greens are MADDENINGLY SLOW. I'm a member at Colorado National and have been for four years. Overall bang for the buck I can't find a better place convenient enough for me. Initiation was cheap for me. Practice facility is top notch with the best indoor facility I've seen. Full disclosure I pay $379/mo with $25 F/B minimum. That's for unlimited golf riding for my wife and I.

If I lived way north I'd still do Fox Hill but I won't be a member at a place I need to drive an hour to get to.

I think it all comes down to how often you play. If you play 36+ holes per week memberships are worth it. Otherwise find some good deals and play all over.

If anyone's looking for a round tomorrow... I just booked a single at Green Valley Ranch at 10:26. Looks like there are 2 spots at that time still available. It'd be great to meet up!

Wife and I have a 9:30 at CO National. Also have two spots open. I'm concerned about wind for tomorrow but we'll find out when we get there.

My Comments in the Quote. I grew up in Lafayette at Indian Peaks and I know the north side very well. I haven't played all of the Arvada courses but all the rest I'm very familiar with.

Hey guys,

Agreed, I've played it once and it was a little funky. Parkland style without trees and the greens are all pitched pretty hard back to front.

I have a friend that signed up there this last spring. He likes it. Our old superintendent just finished his first month up there and he'll get it looking nice. He says they have a ton of drainage issues but the greens are really good.

I used to get reciprocal rates here and it's a REALLY, REALLY good golf course. Parkland style for sure and it will test every part of your game, very tough but fair. If I lived closer I would sign up here because I feel like it would make me a better golfer. The raised nose attitude would drive me nuts though, growing up middle-class and all.

Amen to this. I live in downtown Denver but if I left CO National I would most likely do their annual pass. $2500/yr for unlimited golf is solid. Both courses get a ton of play but they're always in fantastic shape. Unfortunately you still have to pay for cart and range balls. Considering how brutal the walk is at Walnut that's a big bummer. Motivation to stay in shape I guess.

Riverdale is great, both courses. Dunes is undoubtably better but neither offer more than a punch card and it's not a huge discount. I like the layout at Broadlands but those greens are MADDENINGLY SLOW. I'm a member at Colorado National and have been for four years. Overall bang for the buck I can't find a better place convenient enough for me. Initiation was cheap for me. Practice facility is top notch with the best indoor facility I've seen. Full disclosure I pay $379/mo with $25 F/B minimum. That's for unlimited golf riding for my wife and I.

If I lived way north I'd still do Fox Hill but I won't be a member at a place I need to drive an hour to get to.

I think it all comes down to how often you play. If you play 36+ holes per week memberships are worth it. Otherwise find some good deals and play all over.

I'm 30 minutes from Fox Hill and never considered joining despite liking the course since I know I'd only get 30 or so rounds at most a year and it's tough to justify that when I'm within walking distance to Legacy Ridge and 10 min from Walnut Creek.

Kimmer - The other possibility if you really want a private course experience and want something really special and have the cash for an initiation is Ballyneal and you'll be a member at a top 100 in the world golf course for $4500 a year. If you're trying to make Ballyneal work, living in Westminster/Thorton is you're best chance since you are close to I76. Yeah you'll probably get no more than 20 rounds a year in out there and likely less due to the 2.5 hour drive, but it's an amazing course you'll be able to play 36 holes or more every day you are out there and with the contacts you make you'll have access to most of the best courses in the country/world if you ever travel. Combine that with the good public courses in the north Denver area and you'll have a very rich golf experience allowing you to play twice a week or more for under $7k a year.

And for full disclosure if for some reason you decide to move to somewhere in south Denver, there's a plethora of good private courses down there that aren't outrageously expensive and it makes a lot more sense as the public golf situation is more crowded and more expensive than up north.

Hey guyss,

I'm 30 minutes from Fox Hill and never considered joining despite liking the course since I know I'd only get 30 or so rounds at most a year and it's tough to justify that when I'm within walking distance to Legacy Ridge and 10 min from Walnut Creek.

Kimmer - The other possibility if you really want a private course experience and want something really special and have the cash for an initiation is Ballyneal and you'll be a member at a top 100 in the world golf course for $4500 a year. If you're trying to make Ballyneal work, living in Westminster/Thorton is you're best chance since you are close to I76. Yeah you'll probably get no more than 20 rounds a year in out there and likely less due to the 2.5 hour drive, but it's an amazing course you'll be able to play 36 holes or more every day you are out there and with the contacts you make you'll have access to most of the best courses in the country/world if you ever travel. Combine that with the good public courses in the north Denver area and you'll have a very rich golf experience allowing you to play twice a week or more for under $7k a year.

And for full disclosure if for some reason you decide to move to somewhere in south Denver, there's a plethora of good private courses down there that aren't outrageously expensive and it makes a lot more sense as the public golf situation is more crowded and more expensive than up north.

Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like there are a lot of public courses with the annual pass option so I may look into that. If there are any other courses with annual passes that have not been mentioned, the more information the better! At the moment, I'm leaning between getting an annual pass at Walnut Creek and Legacy and combining it with tournaments or joining Colorado National. Joelness, does Colorado National participate in a membership drive/special?

I'm guessing all these courses that you guys have suggested have some sort of morning or noon group that plays on the weekend for a little bit of cash that I should be able to join up with. Does anyone else any have any more information on tournaments? Has anyone participated in nextgengolf?

One more question for now, what is winter golf like? how many days of golf do you guys think you could get in?

I would love to get a couple rounds in with you guys once I get settled in.

I'm guessing all these courses that you guys have suggested have some sort of morning or noon group that plays on the weekend for a little bit of cash that I should be able to join up with. Does anyone else any have any more information on tournaments? Has anyone participated in nextgengolf?

I'm an old fart, so I'm not allowed to join NextGenGolf. I wish there was something like that when I first moved to Denver many years ago; however, it does seem like it's more of a social league than a competitive golf league. If you join any of the three traveling golf tours around town, I'm sure you can always find some side cash games (I absolutely know you can with my club), plus you'd get to play a variety of courses.

One more question for now, what is winter golf like? how many days of golf do you guys think you could get in?

Put it this way: I've played golf in shorts in January. I've also played in snow gear in late May. It can snow 6" in the morning, and you can be on the course (in shorts) by the afternoon (or the next day). Almost all courses are open year-round weather permitting. You often just have to play it by ear.

Yep! I've played lots of golf in most every winter month the last 10 years, and missed many months almost completely-including March, April, and May. When it's sunny and warm enough, get out there-which in some years is a lot more than you would think.

The flip side unfortunately is, when you are tired of winter, and raring to get the season started-all kinds of crazy stuff happens in March, April and May that screws up all your plans ...

Hey guyss,

Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like there are a lot of public courses with the annual pass option so I may look into that. If there are any other courses with annual passes that have not been mentioned, the more information the better! At the moment, I'm leaning between getting an annual pass at Walnut Creek and Legacy and combining it with tournaments or joining Colorado National. Joelness, does Colorado National participate in a membership drive/special?

We'll get a couple dump storms but they almost always melt within a week or two and there's usually a couple weeks where it gets really warm in the middle of winter. The only real problem with winter golf most weekends unless we get a warm spell is the ground will be frozen till 10:30-noon or so, thus if you go early you have to run the ball up as anything landing on the green will bounce like it landed on concrete.

Yeah, CO National usually does a special some time during the year. I would guess one of your best times to sign up is in the fall. I signed up during one and my initiation fee was $100. I don't know when or what they do now since we got new ownership this year.

As for winter golf, I 2nd everyone else. I think we got 20 days of 60* weather this last January. Dancin is right, during the winter you gotta get a time between 11 and noon. It's the warmest time of day and the only time the ground thaws. TIP: Keep some broken tees in the bag if you don't want to bring a hammer with you also. There's usually 4 weeks or so straight where there's just too much snow on the ground but that's about it. Other than that we will get to play every month of the year. During the worst of winter I hole up in our Indoor facility (which faces the range so you still get to watch the ball) and rent the Trackman we have :). The rest of the time in there is chipping on the indoor green to stay sharp. That green is a 15-16 stimp and doesn't roll pure so it's really only good for short range mechanics work when it comes to putting.

I was tempted to take a day off work tomorrow and play golf. Then I realized my wife probably wouldn't like it given it's her birthday.

Not sure why I didn't respond to the last sentence. I would say it's actually an 80/20 split between cash payouts and shop credits. This is only for low gross/net and CTP; all other side games offered are paid out in cash. Before entering a tournament, you can always ask the organizers how the payouts will be distributed.

Not sure why I didn't respond to the last sentence. I would say it's actually an 80/20 split between cash payouts and shop credits. This is only for low gross/net and CTP; all other side games offered are paid out in cash. Before entering a tournament, you can always ask the organizers how the payouts will be distributed.

Ahh. That's not bad. I always thought it was all shop credit. That makes paying the full golf/cart rates a little easier to swallow.

Playing Broadlands next Friday at 12:32. Had some TeeOff.com coupons I needed to burn and this was the only time that fit the schedule. Anyone interested in joining?

Dang, only $19?? I like that course, but that would require me to call into work sick that day. Not sure how that would fly.

Well, if you end up doing it, lemme know!

I like them. (Not a fan of the color way they sent me). But they're definitely comfortable. I'm not terribly picky though. Most days I'm either wearing Vans or Sperry boat shoes, so I always have a flat sole with no arch support. I think my feet have probably flattened over the years of wearing skate shoes, because shoes with arch support often feels strange to me.

Also, if anyone is interested, I booked myself as a single down at Antler Creek on Saturday. It's a trek from Denver (hour and a half drive), but I absolutely love the course and it was only $25 on a Hot Deal. 11:40am, there's still 3 spots open if anyone wants to join!

I like them. (Not a fan of the color way they sent me). But they're definitely comfortable. I'm not terribly picky though. Most days I'm either wearing Vans or Sperry boat shoes, so I always have a flat sole with no arch support. I think my feet have probably flattened over the years of wearing skate shoes, because shoes with arch support often feels strange to me.

Also, if anyone is interested, I booked myself as a single down at Antler Creek on Saturday. It's a trek from Denver (hour and a half drive), but I absolutely love the course and it was only $25 on a Hot Deal. 11:40am, there's still 3 spots open if anyone wants to join!

I looked at that deal as well. For those in the know, I remember some talk about Broadlands and not needing a driver. For an average distance driver-er, am I okay with just a 3W? Also thinking about just putting my 3W shaft in the driver to see what happens, since it's pretty easily switched.

c45984046e461a83b015679e93bb0b07.jpgc8fa84cddfc781bb109c2fa53696baed.jpg

Had a few moments like this today. I think I learned how to hit better wedges?

Broadlands is a pretty fun course! Greens were exactly as described. Slow, but consistent. I didn’t score particularly well today, but that round was a good reminder why I love the game. Quiet, beautiful weather, and I struck the ball decently. Golf was fun and good today.

Hey Colorado guys, any recommendations for a putting lesson in SW Denver? Hoping to do some indoor work this winter.

Closest place is probably Meridian Golf Club with Jerry Walthers.

I don't if the weather is going to be good enough to play or not, but it looks like I'll be in Greeley most of this week if anyone is playing there and has an open spot.

EDIT: schedule depending on when grandson #2 decides make his debut!

We played Boomerang a month ago, pretty good shape. Got paired with a 72 year old, ex pro. He was fun to watch and a very nice guy to play with.

I don't if the weather is going to be good enough to play or not, but it looks like I'll be in Greeley most of this week if anyone is playing there and has an open spot.

EDIT: schedule depending on when grandson #2 decides make his debut!

We played Boomerang a month ago, pretty good shape. Got paired with a 72 year old, ex pro. He was fun to watch and a very nice guy to play with.

If the weather cooperates I may try that. I've only played the front side there. Isn't it fun to watch those older, ex pros? Just hit it so solid all the time.