2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Car died am I nuts for not replacing it?

One_Putt_Blunder

Since your wife has a good vehicle, you might want to consider getting rid of your car and getting some sort of vintage car. Insurance is cheap, plates are lifetime, and no emission or state inspections. There are a lot of over 25 year old cars out there, cheap and in very good condition, that will get you around when needed. I'm not talking about Jay Leno's type of cars, like Dueseys and Packards, but cars that you see on Ebay and Craigslist for a few thousand. Most old cars are relatively easy to work on, shade tree mechanics can repair them easily.

I own a very nice 85 Lebaron convertible, little old lady owned, bought for less than $4K five years ago. Perfect for someone who doesn't need a car for commuting to work. A little slow, but an infinitely fun car for errands and golf. I laugh when I see guys driving $100K roadsters.

Just a thought on a January morning.

Is that Jon Voight's car?

Why not get a 49cc scooter for $800 or so?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils advocate here....are there any perceptional issues at work that could hinder upward mobility? I realize this is superficial, but I always was taught you should dress the part of the job you want. To me, that extends to cars. Driving a clunker vs. driving something a little nicer vs. driving nothing altogether could leave different perceptions. Or not....I don't know who you work for, or the culture. Just throwing that out there as a consideration.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I'm curious, do people carry their clubs on a scooter or bicycle?

I don't see why not.

45673af04c15574e01516c6913dfed4b.jpg

Maybe get a Golf Board

ef17b2c56546536e0da8a7cf57493670.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Why not get a 49cc scooter for $800 or so?

Thought about getting a golf cart, but ultimately decided against it or a scooter. Just no point in getting a scooter to go at most 3 miles which I can cover on a bike in a few minutes more. If I was going to do that I might as well spend the extra $ and source out a cheaper way to fix my car.

This week has been fine so far, and each day that goes by. I am becoming more and more comfortable just going without. My loan officer confirmed that it would be a horrendously bad move to take out a car loan before we apply/close on our condo purchase. I am actually enjoying the walk even though it was 35 degrees this morning. I have a ride lined up for golf this weekend and the next weekend is WM Open which the overflow parking lot is right behind my place and all I have to do is walk 1/4 mile and jump on a shuttle.

@DeadsolidShank

I would prob put the rain hood on the bag to keep clubs from falling out but I cant see an issue with riding a bike with a dual strap bag Id prob try it out around our place first.

@Chickenpotpie I work for a small business (insurance agency) so no issues with status or perception at my current office. In fact they are more envious that I can walk to work than anything. I am not planning on leaving anytime in the near future.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Mazda 3s and 6s are consistently rated as a great car. If it's clean and in otherwise good nick, it's worth fixing and running into the ground.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

A bike trailer seems like a safer option if you think you'd use it on a regular basis.

51933930.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I've just gone a week without a car. It's not the end of the world, you plan things out a bit better and make arrangements for rides when necessary.

My wife has always maintained that we can get by with a single car in retirement. I thought she was nuts, but now maybe not so much... The cost of convenience can be quite steep!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm enjoying the stroll in the morning.

Wriggles The Impala would likely get me car jacked and shot on my way to some of the PHX Muni tracks I play lol. Im just not very interested in going down the road of a classic type car to be honest.

C3G1JnCVYAAH3DE.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I live two miles from work. Up until early 2016, I took a bus/train to work. It took an average of 35 minutes each way. Last Spring I decided I needed some exercise, and started walking. I took me roughly 40 minutes each way. In the late summer I started using our shared bike service, Divvy, for half the trip on most days, and 3/4's of the trip on some days. The partial bike ride cut 15 minutes off the trip. I've used the bus/train a few days when the weather was really nasty, but otherwise I've enjoyed the exercise. I've walked/ridden on hot and humid days, and cold and windy days. The coldest was -5 degrees, with a -20 wind chill. The key of course is layering appropriately. I think I've covered nearly 750 miles since I started.

I think you'll enjoy the walk/ride. I wouldn't be afraid to bring an umbrella on a hot, sunny day. They're not for rain only.

I live two miles from work. Up until early 2016, I took a bus/train to work. It took an average of 35 minutes each way. Last Spring I decided I needed some exercise, and started walking. I took me roughly 40 minutes each way. In the late summer I started using our shared bike service, Divvy, for half the trip on most days, and 3/4's of the trip on some days. The partial bike ride cut 15 minutes off the trip. I've used the bus/train a few days when the weather was really nasty, but otherwise I've enjoyed the exercise. I've walked/ridden on hot and humid days, and cold and windy days. The coldest was -5 degrees, with a -20 wind chill. The key of course is layering appropriately. I think I've covered nearly 750 miles since I started.

I think you'll enjoy the walk/ride. I wouldn't be afraid to bring an umbrella on a hot, sunny day. They're not for rain only.

Or a sidearm lol. My biggest concern in summer is rattlesnakes they are all over the place around here usually get 5-6 a year around the condo. Javelina are pretty rampant as well and mean bastxxx but during the summer the sun is up early enough that they should not be an issue

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I would love to do that and not have to drive everywhere. Unfortunately for me I teach in two buildings in my school district and due to time constraints walking is not an option. A bike would be pushing it. If I ever get to only teach at the high school level again I am not driving my truck most days. a 2-3 mile walk every day before and after work sounds amazing.

#envy

Thought provoking thread.

Few thoughts...

Uber's a game changer.

I've used CL to buy good used tires for vehicles that don't see a lot of miles.

I'd get another opinion on your cars prognosis.

I like Wriggles style.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Update:

I have accepted a cash offer on the car from the guy who works on my wifes car. Of course it is not done until I have cash in hand but have no reason to believe he is going to bail. The price is a price that I am ok with and as much or more than I would actually put in my pocket if I were to fix it and sell it. I started to look at the real savings figures vs trying to source parts and labor for cheap to fix it. He knows all of the issues with it and is comfortable with taking it on as a project with his son which makes me feel better.

Real savings over 12 months

Car Insurance $800

Registration $100

Gas $300

Total annual savings $1200

Likely expenses

Rental $600 2 rental days a month and that is probably on the high side as 1 rental day a month is more likely.

Uber $300 mostly short trips under $10

Still come out ahead and that does not factor in the cost to repairs to the car or needed maintenance tires struts will need to be replaced.

This week is about as crazy it gets with WM Open here, friends coming in from out of state. I was invited to a VIP dinner at wife's restaurant Tuesday with some tour players they sponsor. She'll be working but it is a $10-$15 Uber which I would probably take anyway as I would have a couple cocktails. Golf Saturday, she opens so we will drop her off in the morning take the car to golf. Then bring the car back to her, have a late lunch Uber home so we can have a few brews. WM Open Sunday. The overflow parking lot is literally in my backyard so all we have to do is walk over to the shuttle stop and catch the shuttle to the tourney.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

You're forgetting depreciation. Granted, an old car has lost the majority of its value. However, if you buy a new car you have to factor in the $X in lost value per year.

You're forgetting depreciation. Granted, an old car has lost the majority of its value. However, if you buy a new car you have to factor in the $X in lost value per year.

Would not be buying a new car, buying 1-2 year old model year. Which is one of the reasons I want to wait until next year as the 2016's are not yet turning up on used lots. Plus my sister is best friends with a family that owns about 30 dealerships around town so once I am ready to buy again I can be patient to find the car I want at a price I want with a good chunk of depreciation already taken out and get a decent deal on it. Sure it will still depreciate from there but the big hit wont be there like it would if I purchased new.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Would not be buying a new car, buying 1-2 year old model year. Which is one of the reasons I want to wait until next year as the 2016's are not yet turning up on used lots. Plus my sister is best friends with a family that owns about 30 dealerships around town so once I am ready to buy again I can be patient to find the car I want at a price I want with a good chunk of depreciation already taken out and get a decent deal on it. Sure it will still depreciate from there but the big hit wont be there like it would if I purchased new.

I don't disagree. My last three vehicles have been 2 to 3 year old off-lease vehicles with less than 30k miles on them. Out of the dozen or so vehicles I've purchased, only two have been new. If one doesn't drive a ton of miles in a year, a quality used car makes a lot of sense.

• 3 months later...

Figure I would come back and update this since it has been a few months.

Things are going better than I thought really. Had a few days where it has been around 105 out so far the heat is not too bad in the 1/2 mile walk home even in work clothes. Have not even had to rent a car yet. The biggest inconvenience really has been my wife has an irrational fear of taking an Uber or taxi. It is $7.50 for an Uber to her work. It would make things a tad easier if I could just call her an Uber on the weekends when she goes to work and I take the car, but either I drop her off or she finds a ride if I am out on the course. Now that summer is approaching the courses near me are coming down in price which gives us some more options. Also I can play earlier in the morning and and get home before she has to go into work. Her schedule is going to be easing up at her job which will give us some more freedom as well.

The worst part is there is a friggin bee hive underneath the bridge over the wash I have to cross to and from work, been stung once, had to take a detour once when they were swarming. No rattlesnake sightings yet....

I've only spent about $50 on Uber so far.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

You need one of these in Phoenix blunder:

https://www.car2go.com/CA/en/

Sounds like an insurance nightmare lol.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

We had the SmartCar Car2Go versions all over Columbus. A trend around campus of 'Urban Cow tipping' took off. But actually the car2Go model was pretty successful around Columbus and was expanding throughout the city.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

We have two major car sharing services in Chicago, ZipCar and Enterprise CarShare. Insurance and gas are included in the rental.

We have two major car sharing services in Chicago, ZipCar and Enterprise CarShare. Insurance and gas are included in the rental.

Lol he's talking about insuring those things from the perspective of the insurance company. I bet it's a fun algorithm.

• 9 months later...

Figured I would post a long term update here. Been a little over a year, still rolling without a car. In a way I am glad I have held out. All the walking to work has lead me back to hiking on the weekends. I've dropped about 20lbs since this time last year. I have also re evaluated my desires in a car because I have been hiking in the back country so often. Instead of getting a 2 door sports car, I am leaning to a 4wd Tacoma to get me to some more remote trailheads that I can't get to even with the wifes 2wd suv. Plus the one car I really liked the Genesis Coupe R-spec warranty does not transfer to the 2nd owner really turned me off and the other options 370z I don't love, the Mustang GT crazy expensive to insure etc.

I have not even needed to rent a car on the weekends. Occasional Uber rides to/from local trailheads and golf courses, and careful planning with the wifes schedule has made it a bit easier than I anticipated. Are there times where I miss having a care absolutely. especially this time of year where I need to travel further for affordable golf. But I have been putting $ away so hopefully next year Ill have enough saved up to put 40-50% down on a new or 1-2 year old Tacoma and have an affordable payment.

It is weird, the last year without a car I have explored more of the back country around the valley than I have in the 19 previous years I lived here with a car.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Since your wife has a good vehicle, you might want to consider getting rid of your car and getting some sort of vintage car. Insurance is cheap, plates are lifetime, and no emission or state inspections. There are a lot of over 25 year old cars out there, cheap and in very good condition, that will get you around when needed. I'm not talking about Jay Leno's type of cars, like Dueseys and Packards, but cars that you see on Ebay and Craigslist for a few thousand. Most old cars are relatively easy to work on, shade tree mechanics can repair them easily.

I own a very nice 85 Lebaron convertible, little old lady owned, bought for less than $4K five years ago. Perfect for someone who doesn't need a car for commuting to work. A little slow, but an infinitely fun car for errands and golf. I laugh when I see guys driving $100K roadsters.

Just a thought on a January morning.

I got shotgun.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4