New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Tested the Mevo against a GC2+HMT. Numbers quoted below are estimated difference between what GC2 reported and what Mevo reported.

On a PW:

• Ball speed: mean 0mph, stdev 1mph
  • Launch angle: mean -2degs (GC2 consistently read 2deg lower), stdev 2degs
  • Clubhead speed: mean 0mph, stdev 1mph
  • Carry distance (calculated) mean +3yds, stdev 4yds. Different ball physics model probably.

On the driver:

• Ball speed mean 0mph, stdev 1mph
  • Launch angle mean 0, stdev 1.5degs
  • Clubhead speed mean +2mph (GC2 read higher), stdev 5mph (GC2 was bang-on consistent, Mevo was all over the map)

So basically the ball speed is excellent, launch angle quite good, and CHS good for short irons. Maybe Mevo gets confused with the driver, what with the weird shape and color and materials and such.

I came away more impressed with the Mevo than I was. It's a really good piece of equipment.

I'm wanting to use for driver setup and testing. So are you saying the driver #s aren't accurate?

Any other of you guys have driver specific feedback?

You can trust the ball speed.

Yeah, and that's by far the most important thing for driver fitting. Launch angle matters a bit, and spin almost not at all (typically the difference between 2k rpm and 3k rpm is like 3 yards of carry, according to the FS optimizer).

Spin might not matter as much for optimizing carry distance (especially in a bubble) but if you're concerned with roll or playing in the wind, spin is a huge factor.

Tested the Mevo against a GC2+HMT. Numbers quoted below are estimated difference between what GC2 reported and what Mevo reported.

On a PW:

• Carry distance (calculated) mean +3yds, stdev 4yds. Different ball physics model probably.

On the driver:

• Clubhead speed mean +2mph (GC2 read higher), stdev 5mph (GC2 was bang-on consistent, Mevo was all over the map)

So basically the ball speed is excellent, launch angle quite good, and CHS good for short irons. Maybe Mevo gets confused with the driver, what with the weird shape and color and materials and such.

I came away more impressed with the Mevo than I was. It's a really good piece of equipment.

I'm wanting to use for driver setup and testing. So are you saying the driver #s aren't accurate?

Yeah, and that's by far the most important thing for driver fitting. Launch angle matters a bit, and spin almost not at all (typically the difference between 2k rpm and 3k rpm is like 3 yards of carry, according to the FS optimizer).

Spin might not matter as much for optimizing carry distance (especially in a bubble) but if you're concerned with roll or playing in the wind, spin is a huge factor.

True enough.

On a PW:

On the driver:

Very true. Total distance matters.

On a PW:

On the driver:

So are you saying you can't trust the launch angle, club speed etc? I'm not worried about spin axis but am about backspin generally.

On a PW:

On the driver:

So are you saying you can't trust the launch angle, club speed etc? I'm not worried about spin axis but am about backspin generally.

No, all I'm saying is that from my personal testing against an Xi, ball speed is spot on. I didn't use dots in my testing so I can't really address your question about spin except to say, spin rates without dots should be disregarded altogether.

Does the Mevo have any software for practice drills ... like hitting a 50y, 60y, 75y target etc?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

New update - "new detection mode for chipping". Probably the software to utilize the updated firmware.

That's pretty cool. I was messing around with it yesterday hitting pitches inside 20 yards. It definitely didn't detect those shots when I first got the unit but it wasn't reliable in picking up the shots yesterday either. I didn't care too much because you can see the ball land at that distance. Launch angle maxed out at 45*, curious to know if that changed too. A wedge game app would be outstanding but I won't hold my breath.

My vote is for a approach challenge. 18 holes with various yardages and you get points for how close you get. From 100 yards and under the points rings should get smaller. So say you have an 80 yard approach, the 10 point ring will be 8' and the 5 point ring will be 15'. I think the Mevo is progressing and getting better with every update. I don't think I would ever leave my driveway if they add this feature.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Seems like after the last firmware update my club head speeds are almost identical to my SSR and what I was seeing on the Trackman at Golf Galaxy. My smash factor is lower but the speeds look correct. This is the first time my Mevo has been reading 110-113 mph for the club head speed.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

What nets are you using that handle abuse by the driver? Looking for one for my back yard without fear of the ball going through and burying 3" into my neighbors wall.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)

Im using the Rukket Haack net. I will see how it holds up after this summer. I think Im going to pickup a piece of burlap to hang from the net to limit the adbuse.

These are almost identical to the Trackman I was hitting on. Well done Flightscope!

IMG_4641.png

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

What nets are you using that handle abuse by the driver? Looking for one for my back yard without fear of the ball going through and burying 3" into my neighbors wall.

I purchased a net and piece of impact netting from gourock.com. Then I bought a $35 mesh tarp from harbor freight. If I could do it again I would just double up the mesh tarp from HF.

Quick video of the Mevo in action!

http://youtu.be/QLKi88y_loo

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Nice video. Thing seems to work pretty awesome.

On a side note where did you get those mats honda?

Lowes has them for $30 for a 3x10'.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Thought it would be interesting to do a little comparison of averages from Mevo compared to averages reported from the course using Arccos over the last 2 years.

The Mevo figures are based on 6 sessions and 338 shots (mixed grass and range). I removed obviously awful shots on my behalf which is the same as happens with Arccos as well.

The table shows that the figures are pretty spot on with the Mevo reporting 2 or 3m longer than Arccos. However, that is no surprise given Arccos includes shots from the rough and shots taken in winter when the ball would generally fly a little less.

The DIV/0 is because I have yet to hit a 6H on the Mevo and I include metres and yards as I switch between the UK and Germany and sometimes it is useful to have both available :-)

Please excuse the blatantly poor distances (no 300 yard drives or 200 yard 7I) and do not ban me immediately.

All in all I am very impressed with the Mevo and am really enjoying practicing the "half" shots, so much so that under Mevo I actually defined extra clubs that I select (i.e. 56 deg half, 52 half) and then I practice hitting the in between distances. By having them as their own club I can then see the averages on the dashboard as well

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

I found the website terrible at explaining how this works. They bury the details in the FAQ's with a font that you can barely read it is so small.

The fact that you need to put metal stickers on every ball for it to work will make this a colossal flop...just my 2 cents.

Only need the stickers if you need spin numbers.

I found the website terrible at explaining how this works. They bury the details in the FAQ's with a font that you can barely read it is so small.

The fact that you need to put metal stickers on every ball for it to work will make this a colossal flop...just my 2 cents.

I posted a 10 minute video using the Mevo with no stickers on the balls. You really only need them with the wedges. using the driver with and without was only +/-200 rpm. That's really good in my opinion.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Honda - in your video when it calls out the distance, is that carry or total, and can you change what I calls out (carry, total, ballspeed, club speed etc)?

Its carry distance only on the Mevo. You have to use the Flightscope optimizer to play around with the roll. Soft +2, Medium +7, Hard +20 yards is what the rollout normal is under conditions.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Question for you guys hitting into the net... I know this doesn’t give side spin or face angle or any of the things that trackman price level monitors give, which is understandable because of the price.

My question is this: How do you know if you sliced or hooked a ball when hitting into a net, or even a slight fade or draw? I know when I’m on the range and I hit some bad shots, slice /hook, they will feel different coming off the club. Other times though I will feel like I hit a great shot but it just slices/hooks away... In the same manor i have hit bad feeling shots off center but they still have flow straight but just a few yards short.

Is there anything in the data that gives those types of bad shots away like less spin on ball compounded with less carry distance?

Starting to think the club head speed measurement on the Mevo isnt that great. I had a few 150mph ball speed readings where the club head speed was anywhere from 98-107mph. My SSR read between 108-112 for all of them.

My experience has been that SSR's are reliable and therefore useful for tracking changes in clubhead speed, but not very accurate. They tend to read a bit fast.