2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

So I got my mevo and first time out with it, I'm pretty disappointed. To me, it's just a glorified ball speed monitor with the Flight scope optimizer algorithm built in that has a supporting app. As others have noted, spin rate IS affected by which club you select. I asked Flightscope about this and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, here's what they said about what is measured/calculated:

There are three calculated parameters: carry distance, height and flight time. Therefore vertical launch angle, spin rate, smash factor, club head speed, and ball speed are all measured data parameters.

I found the clubhead speed to be fairly lacking, about as much off as the swingspeed radar unit. That thing ALWAYS reads 5-7% high for me, and so does the Mevo. So when that's off, my smash factor really looks like crap. lol. Launch angle is goofy too. I hit a couple of super high shots on purpose and the launch wasn't much different than a regular shot.

I believe ball speed to be accurate from other known data, but since it doesn't know spin axis, and launch angle is wonky, the calculated distance isn't very accurate.

I have an old Zelocity Ball speed monitor and I could just plug that data into the flightscope optimizer to get any kind of calculated value.

Too bad. Looks like I'll be nailed with the $75 restocking fee

Did you update the firmware on the unit to 1.7?

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Went and used mine for the first time today. A few shots with dots but most just looking at carry ball speed and swing speed. Swingspeed seems way off. Any ideas for tightening this or is this what we can expect? 5 ft behind dead in line. Outdoor range.

Edit: read the above post. Factoring 7% high on swing speed that would make ballspeed numbers more accurate with a 1.45 smash. So 128 less 8 mph would yield about spot on 174 ball speed at 1.45 smash.

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

Yep, already was at 1.7.

Might be worth checking the setup... My experience has been the club speed seems high and spin isn't the most accurate thing... like everybody says. But the ballspeed and launch are pretty good. Launch may not be totally accurate but the precision seems solid. My slightly thin shots will show up a few degrees lower than average and the ones i early release will be significantly higher.

I posted this data in May...but finally gotten around to graphing... Ballspeed, Carry, Launch are all pretty reasonable compared to skytrack. Spin had a few weird numbers but this was also done indoors on firmware 1.5 (or 1.4?) I'll get around doing to a more recent comparison outdoors but I honestly think it works better outdoors anyways.

I found the clubhead speed to be fairly lacking, about as much off as the swingspeed radar unit. That thing ALWAYS reads 5-7% high for me, and so does the Mevo.

I use MEVO "outdoor" mode at the range and "indoor" mode into a net or inside.

On average, my outdoor speeds with a 6-iron are 5 mph faster than my indoor speeds.

I just chalk it up to the psychology of being outdoors with full flight versus swinging indoors or having limited flight.

I'm talking about SS with known good trackman numbers. My fastest swing ever on trackman was 101, with most 96-97. Mevo continually reports 105 mph ss.

No way spin is measured, at least not accurately. You can test this yourself by putting dots on the ball, and purposely selecting the wrong club. Select a PW and hit a driver and you'll see spin in the 7000s. Select driver and hit a PW and you'll see spin in the 2000s.

I'm talking about SS with known good trackman numbers. My fastest swing ever on trackman was 101, with most 96-97. Mevo continually reports 105 mph ss.

No way spin is measured, at least not accurately. You can test this yourself by putting dots on the ball, and purposely selecting the wrong club. Select a PW and hit a driver and you'll see spin in the 7000s. Select driver and hit a PW and you'll see spin in the 2000s.

I think spin IS actually measured, however...........if the measured spin is not within some preset window, then Mevo thinks it did not capture it, and displays default spin, maybe based on launch angle(but I don't know). Mevo is smart enough to know spin is not really ~2500 for when you select PW and hit driver- so it assumed it did not capture correctly, so just displays some default PW spin- hence something in the 7000's.(which makes sense when you think about it- Mevo saw a low launch angle of what it's been told is a PW)

That is why, in your example, the spins reflect a typical spin for the PW, or driver.

It would be nice, and has been asked of Mevo via the Facebook group, some flag/designator to inform us when the spin was captured/measured, OR when it's a default calculation based on some mystery algorithm

Of course all of the above is not a statement from Mevo, just my observations. And I've been wrong before....

Yankees Suck

My understanding is those "known good Trackman numbers" are also known to differ (sometimes significantly) from "known good Flightscope numbers" and "known good Foresight numbers." They all have their own algorithms...

I don't recall any wonky MEVO spin numbers since the firmware upgrades. But I admit I don't pay as much attention to spin as I do clubhead speed and launch angle. I will revisit spin with comparisons of the indoor and outdoor modes.

I think each club has a default template with min and max numbers and the shot displayed will calculated somewhere in between when it isn't measured. I was testing an AP2 with a Modus X shaft and hit 32 shots with it and you can see the Deviation between shots. These were taken with stickers on the ball. So if Flightscope captured say 10000 7 iron shots and figured out the dev and would spit out the average number based off a given ball speed when it calculated vs. measured how far would it be off? I can tell you without looking if I get 109mph ball speed the shot is going about 154 yards. Knowing if its measured vs. calculated would be great but may hurt credibility of the unit from a sales standpoint.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Similar to what Hondabuff suggested, I believe there is some built-in logic that assumes the selected club is correct. If the measured spin falls within some pre-defined parameters for the selected club, it displays measured spin. If the spin measurement falls outside the expected parameters for the selected club, it displays calculated spin assuming the club is correct.

One thing I would like to know from Flightscope is the loft angle assumed for each club. Think I'll take this to the FS MEVO Users Group on FB...

Similar to what Hondabuff suggested, I believe there is some built-in logic that assumes the selected club is correct. If the measured spin falls within some pre-defined parameters for the selected club, it displays measured spin. If the spin measurement falls outside the expected parameters for the selected club, it displays calculated spin assuming the club is correct.

One thing I would like to know from Flightscope is the loft angle assumed for each club. Think I'll take this to the FS MEVO Users Group on FB...

My First Mevo with the 1st firmware had a lot of issues measuring and instead of quickly switching to a calculated distance it would just not register or say error. I think FS figured its better to spit out a number that's close vs. not giving you a number at all.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

As actual launch angle is measured, isn't assumed loft irrelevant?

Yankees Suck

As actual launch angle is measured, isn't assumed loft irrelevant?

If our hypothesis that it estimates spin within certain thresholds for each club, I think it would be important for a user to know what the static club loft is.

Ok guys, seeing something on my screen I never had before. So am I an idiot as it's always been there, or am I an idiot as I've changed a setting somehow?

Mushin

Quieteye

26 baseline

And the brain scan looking image

Amy idea what all this means?

That has to have something to do w/the Focus Band, right?

Qi10 LS 9 Ventus Blue+ 6x / Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P7MC 3-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

My understanding is those "known good Trackman numbers" are also known to differ (sometimes significantly) from "known good Flightscope numbers" and "known good Foresight numbers." They all have their own algorithms...

While their numbers might be within a few %, it doesn't explain 7000 rpm with a driver when pw is selected.

If indeed they are estimating if not between a certain range, I would rather have an option to indicate when spin is not measured correctly with the option to toss it out.

Two, their website needs some work which is surprising since it must use similar code from the original Flightscope. There's no way to delete a shot, and even if you delete it on the app, it doesn't sync with the website.

While their numbers might be within a few %, it doesn't explain 7000 rpm with a driver when pw is selected.

If you had READ some of the logical guesses in prior posts, it would explain it.

But, you need to WANT to read...

I READ all of the posts, but why they would do that makes no sense.

Cause the Mevo isn't powerful enough to measure spin with 100 % capture rate is my guess.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Cause the Mevo isn't powerful enough to measure spin with 100 % capture rate is my guess.

It's basically ^ ..it's a 500 dollar radar the size of a bar of soap. Compare that to the standard radar, which is the size of textbook. (I think somebody mentioned a few months ago the number of radars actually used in a trackman and it seemed like there were a lot.

It does try to measure spin and if it doesn't get a good read, it will estimate it. The estimation seems to be based on the normal spin range the club selected imparts and adjusted based on the ball measurements. So if the standard range a PW will impart is 7000 rpm to 10000 rpm, based on how hard the ball is being hit and angle of attack, it will just display 7000 rpm since a driver is going to be treated like a topped pw.

I've mentioned this before but just experiment...you should be able to see the difference yourself. Hit 100 shots with a 8 iron set on driver. You'll see a few shots show up with 8 iron spin. Those are the ones it catches. The ones it doesnt catch will show up around 3000 RPM. Which is it just assuming it's a popped up Driver.

I love it when the main criticism of a piece of technology that comes out at a greatly reduced price than what is the norm, is that it can't EXACTLY reproduce the type of data and consistency that the wayyy more expensive equipment produces. Unless you have a card, or are really close to it, do you really NEED more than what this is able to give you? I don't happen to think so, and this is coming from a guy who is trying to decide between this and a skytrak. And honestly, the only thing that's swaying me towards the skytrak is that it has a range simulator, skills assessments, and the ability to "play" actual courses, which I like, because I can not only practice mechanics, but on-course strategy and course management, while with the Mevo, you're "just" getting numbers.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I love it when the main criticism of a piece of technology that comes out at a greatly reduced price than what is the norm, is that it can't EXACTLY reproduce the type of data and consistency that the wayyy more expensive equipment produces. Unless you have a card, or are really close to it, do you really NEED more than what this is able to give you? I don't happen to think so, and this is coming from a guy who is trying to decide between this and a skytrak. And honestly, the only thing that's swaying me towards the skytrak is that it has a range simulator, skills assessments, and the ability to "play" actual courses, which I like, because I can not only practice mechanics, but on-course strategy and course management, while with the Mevo, you're "just" getting numbers.

I have both and even though I really like the Mevo the Skytrak is awesome . The added features are worth the extra dollars .

I have both and even though I really like the Mevo the Skytrak is awesome . The added features are worth the extra dollars .

Precisely the kind of stuff I needed to hear

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

Because it's $500, not $2000.

I'd have no issue with it, if they simply threw in an indicator that it was an estimate when not measured.

Exactly.

It's 500 because it only measures 4 parameters instead of 10 or 20. Useless if it can't "measure" something with some resemblance of accuracy, and even more useless if it calls it a measurement when it's actually doing an estimation. Can't really call it a measurement if that's the case.

Very disappointed that FS are charging the rest of the world $US 600. An additional 20% (before local sales tax) wreaks of profiteering to me.

As someone who's written about this...

Consider that $500 is usually about $540 in the US because tax isn't included. 20% markup is very reasonable given that most other countries will charge 15% + fees for import. It's effectively the same price pre-tax.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.