2017 Srixon Z star XV

kjrules

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from 18 with the Z star (non XV). Was my first time w a Srixon and I might be in love. It was a 50 degree and windy day, and the ball did basically everything I wanted it to. The drop in distance from the cold was minimal. Always been a TPx & B330 guy, and was planning on testing the B330s, but it might not be necessary.

I found the 2017 test packs at my local DSG today. I picked up 5 packs of the XV (all they had) and 1 pack of the Z-Star.

Hard to beat 3 dozen balls for $60.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Has anyone played these in comparison to last year's models? I know you can get snag those for a good price right now.

I still have bunch of last years model, this years ball in so much better, feel with the xv with the driver and irons are pretty much the same but the spin both wedge, full and partial and also with the driver is much better. definitely longer than last years and better durability. THE BEST BALL tested so far this year. I thought B330S was going to be hard to beat but I think 2017 Zstars are the best ball on the market, can't wait to test it against the New TP5s

does it feel the same off the putter?

Depending which putter you use, if you use putter with soft insert it feels softer than last year, if you have plane carbon or stainless it feels tad softer than last years XV if you have milled face like Berttinardi FIT face it feels perfect! So it all depends on the putter face, material and grip(solid grip or superstoke type)

For me great firm feel of the putter, feed back is true and immediate!

Was able to play 18 today with the '17 XV. It's no doubt longer than the '15 off of the driver. I personally thought it was actually a tad less durable. Got some fish scales after wedges which I had not seen on previous models. All in all though I think it's an improvement. Very stable in the wind.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Has anyone played these in comparison to last year's models? I know you can get snag those for a good price right now.

I still have bunch of last years model, this years ball in so much better, feel with the xv with the driver and irons are pretty much the same but the spin both wedge, full and partial and also with the driver is much better. definitely longer than last years and better durability. THE BEST BALL tested so far this year. I thought B330S was going to be hard to beat but I think 2017 Zstars are the best ball on the market, can't wait to test it against the New TP5s

does it feel the same off the putter?

Depending which putter you use, if you use putter with soft insert it feels softer than last year, if you have plane carbon or stainless it feels tad softer than last years XV if you have milled face like Berttinardi FIT face it feels perfect! So it all depends on the putter face, material and grip(solid grip or superstoke type)

For me great firm feel of the putter, feed back is true and immediate!

I liked the xv 15 feel off the putter (I use a red x still) so these should be great .thanks!!

Played quite a lot of golf with the '17 XV last weekend, first up this is a helluva golf ball in the wind, it really doesn't want to move around at all and even into the breeze it still goes. That was the most impressive thing for me with this ball, the durability is still there which is nice to see and it checks up very nicely on chips which I thought the previous ball struggled with sometimes. Off the irons and wedges, again I felt this ball just doesn't get affected by wind, I was attacking pins with no fear of the ball getting blown offline or dropping out the air. I can't really comment on distance as it was pretty windy out there but I wouldn't be surprised if I am hitting it a bit further.

The one thing I don't like is that it still feels firm on short chips and off the putter, there is a definite click at impact, I'm comparing it to the tour preferred X which feels pretty soft. But I really am nitpicking here, feel is so subjective so this will vary for people.

Overall, I reckon this is a really good ball and I will probably be switching from the Tour Preferred to this, it'll probably be cheaper as well which is a big plus.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Played quite a lot of golf with the '17 XV last weekend, first up this is a helluva golf ball in the wind, it really doesn't want to move around at all and even into the breeze it still goes. That was the most impressive thing for me with this ball, the durability is still there which is nice to see and it checks up very nicely on chips which I thought the previous ball struggled with sometimes. Off the irons and wedges, again I felt this ball just doesn't get affected by wind, I was attacking pins with no fear of the ball getting blown offline or dropping out the air. I can't really comment on distance as it was pretty windy out there but I wouldn't be surprised if I am hitting it a bit further.

The one thing I don't like is that it still feels firm on short chips and off the putter, there is a definite click at impact, I'm comparing it to the tour preferred X which feels pretty soft. But I really am nitpicking here, feel is so subjective so this will vary for people.

Overall, I reckon this is a really good ball and I will probably be switching from the Tour Preferred to this, it'll probably be cheaper as well which is a big plus.

Nice review and thanks. I like a little firmer feel putting and chipping as long as it checks up. Looking forward to playing these as I was a loyal Srixon ball user back in 13 and 14. May pick up a few more 6 packs when available back home.

What's my best option to try first seeking distance first and spin second for a 95 driver SS? The Regular ZStar or the XV? I have a local store with lots $10 demo balls still available. Which one is the longest? and from what you all are saying they both spin off irons and greenside?

Srixon SS would put you into the Z but in the end the person must make the call. I like the B330S better than the B330 but my SS recommends me in the 330.

I purchased 4 boxes of the XV's and 2 of the Z's to try but I use to like the XV more when I played that ball for the 13 and 14 seasons. Good luck. For 20.00 a dozen for a premium ball hard to make a wrong decision.

Nice review and thanks. I like a little firmer feel putting and chipping as long as it checks up. Looking forward to playing these as I was a loyal Srixon ball user back in 13 and 14. May pick up a few more 6 packs when available back home.

No problem, the firmer feel is different but something I can get used to, hoping the conditions this weekend will be better for another test.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I'm late to this party, need to go find some. I've liked the 2013 and 2015 XV a lot, need to try these for sure.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I picked up 4 dozen of the xv's and tested them vs my b330 and tpx. If I wasn't really paying attention, they were all hard to tell apart, besides the xv's are really white. Basically the same feel imo. Same distances. It was pretty windy and the xv may have held up slightly better than the b330, which is saying something.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I picked up 4 dozen of the xv's and tested them vs my b330 and tpx. If I wasn't really paying attention, they were all hard to tell apart, besides the xv's are really white. Basically the same feel imo. Same distances. It was pretty windy and the xv may have held up slightly better than the b330, which is saying something.

I'm with you. Haven't hit the Tpx and probably will not now since I have about 9 dozen of V1x (1), B330s (3), B330 (2), XV (2), and Z (1). All great balls. Forgot about the dozen or so in the bag.

It looks like everyone who is playing B330 or B330S is saying that this ball is better....WOW! I thought the B330S was an amazing ball (Best ball I have played to date). My only wish is that the B330S came in a yellow color option. The Srixon Z XV might be the way to go for me :)

A couple clarifying questions for those who have played the B330S and made the switch- Did you notice any difference in trajectory? In other words, do they peak out at the same height? Or have you found one to fly a bit lower?

Thanks in advance!

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

These were launched here in the U.K. today, and I promptly bought a few dozen. I put them in to play and was very impressed in all facets except for durability. Around the green they are phenomenal.

After playing I went on to Trackman to see how they performed against some other premium, lower spin balls that I have been trying lately. My current fave is the Nike RZN Tour Black, and the XV averaged about 300rpm more off the driver, and 9 yards less in overall distance. It still managed to blow the Chrome Soft X out of the water though, spinning 200rpm less, and beating the Callaway ball by 7 yards.

For reference, I was hitting with my usual driver, Ping G LS Tec, 9 degree, AD-DI 6X tipped an inch.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I have played Srixion for 4 or 5 years. I took both the new z star and the XV out today. I normally play Z star, not a high speed player.

17 Z Star is softer feeling ball, is good in the wind like always, might check a little better when chipping. Feels softer off the putter compared to past models. It's not as durable as past years. This ball is somewhere in the middle of the pro v and V1x 2017

17 XV, This isn't my normal ball, I think it plays similar to the past years, good in the wind, firmer feel, and still has that click off a putter. I think it will show damage quicker than past years, but still better ball than the Pro V.

I have played Srixion for 4 or 5 years. I took both the new z star and the XV out today. I normally play Z star, not a high speed player.

17 Z Star is softer feeling ball, is good in the wind like always, might check a little better when chipping. Feels softer off the putter compared to past models. It's not as durable as past years. This ball is somewhere in the middle of the pro v and V1x 2017

17 XV, This isn't my normal ball, I think it plays similar to the past years, good in the wind, firmer feel, and still has that click off a putter. I think it will show damage quicker than past years, but still better ball than the Pro V.

your commentary on the xv being better than the pro V (2017) - just wondering which one and in driver distance or ?

trying to decide between the v1x and the xv - any insight appreciated

It looks like everyone who is playing B330 or B330S is saying that this ball is better....WOW! I thought the B330S was an amazing ball (Best ball I have played to date). My only wish is that the B330S came in a yellow color option. The Srixon Z XV might be the way to go for me :)

A couple clarifying questions for those who have played the B330S and made the switch- Did you notice any difference in trajectory? In other words, do they peak out at the same height? Or have you found one to fly a bit lower?

Thanks in advance!

I have been doing a lot of testing between the two, with not much discernable difference between them outside of feel. It's really hard to tell a difference in trajectory, so it must be within the same range. Both do what you want them to if you put a good swing on it. I do get a bit more spin with the 330s but the XV does hold its line slightly better in a crosswind so far. Both are great balls though, and I'll probably game each one during the upcoming season.