2017 Srixon Z star XV

kjrules

If anything for me it still doesn't have quite the short game action as the ProV1 or V1x. I'm talking the little finesse shots out of Bermuda where you are short sides. Seems to always run out more than expected but other than that I love. Just my experience though, your mileage may vary.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compared this to the new TP5X this past wknd and the XV was hands down an all around better ball. Off the driver the TP5X was pretty solid and had a nice flight, but or didn't compare to the XV. The XV really shined for me off of the tee, with the irons, and wedges. I prefer the feel of the XV as well. Srixon has nailed it these past couple of versions. Loyal XV guy now. Nicely done, Srixon!

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I may be out of line here as I am going to make reference to the Z-Star instead of the XV. I bought 3 dozen of these and the first time I played it was in 50° weather. I shot a 80, but for some reason didn't want to keep them. It seemed like the trajectory was too low. Yesterday I decided to tee one up in 70+° weather and even though I shot a 82, I was much more impressed with the ball. The trajectory was fine. They say you should choose a ball from the green going back to the tee box. This is the best putting ball I've ever hit (Seemore putter with a milled steel face), and around the green it is a really good performer. It has plenty of spin and grip on chips and short pitches. The fact that I hit 10 of 14 fairways didn't hurt my opinion of it either (low side spin off the tee). As far as distance off the tee, It seemed to be within a few yards + or - the other balls I have been playing e.g. ProV1X, MTB, Chrome soft. I like the type of urethane cover on these Srixons.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I compared this to the new TP5X this past wknd and the XV was hands down an all around better ball. Off the driver the TP5X was pretty solid and had a nice flight, but or didn't compare to the XV. The XV really shined for me off of the tee, with the irons, and wedges. I prefer the feel of the XV as well. Srixon has nailed it these past couple of versions. Loyal XV guy now. Nicely done, Srixon!

Great to hear I am not alone

But I am also totally New to Srixon - loyal v1x player last 5 years

Was finding it too clicky on putter and tough to dial wedges consistently

Finally got the guts to try out new 2017 v1x against old one, srixon xv, b330, tp5x.....

XV blew the other 4 away from tee to green

AND felt soft putting and like a sandbag with wedge

This ball is Perfection for me

Srixon should be popping the champagne

I may be out of line here as I am going to make reference to the Z-Star instead of the XV. I bought 3 dozen of these and the first time I played it was in 50° weather. I shot a 80, but for some reason didn't want to keep them. It seemed like the trajectory was too low. Yesterday I decided to tee one up in 70+° weather and even though I shot a 82, I was much more impressed with the ball. The trajectory was fine. They say you should choose a ball from the green going back to the tee box. This is the best putting ball I've ever hit (Seemore putter with a milled steel face), and around the green it is a really good performer. It has plenty of spin and grip on chips and short pitches. The fact that I hit 10 of 14 fairways didn't hurt my opinion of it either (low side spin off the tee). As far as distance off the tee, It seemed to be within a few yards + or - the other balls I have been playing e.g. ProV1X, MTB, Chrome soft. I like the type of urethane cover on these Srixons.

Don't forget when playing below about 60 something degrees you don't get the normal distance you see when playing at 70 degrees and above.

I love the new Z Stars and the XV. I've done about the same testing as you did. Srixon was the best followed by Snell MTB and third was Chrome Soft.

But I did notice that the Z Star does have a lower trajectory compared to the XV.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

Finally got the guts to try out new 2017 v1x against old one, srixon xv, b330, tp5x.....

First thing, great album!!

Second, how was the trajectory of the XV compared to the V1x off the irons? Played the V1x last year but I think I'm going to give these try.

First thing, great album!!

Second, how was the trajectory of the XV compared to the V1x off the irons? Played the V1x last year but I think I'm going to give these try.

Thanks and Agreed...

I found trajectory similar to v1x, less "clicky" and much better wind management - spin same or better on approach shots

I was shocked how much more i liked it

didn't expect to, didn't even really want to

but i DID

definitively

Good feedback. I'm a regular Z Star player as well so nice to hear this latest version performs. I have yet to test mine out on the course.

Don't forget when playing below about 60 something degrees you don't get the normal distance you see when playing at 70 degrees and above.

I love the new Z Stars and the XV. I've done about the same testing as you did. Srixon was the best followed by Snell MTB and third was Chrome Soft.

But I did notice that the Z Star does have a lower trajectory compared to the XV.

Strange, according Srixon, the XV should launch around 0.7 degree lower off of the driver, than the Z-Star...

...was your observation according trajectory with irons?

Strange, according Srixon, the XV should launch around 0.7 degree lower off of the driver, than the Z-Star...

It's likely the Z-Star launches lower but has a slightly higher peak height due to additional spin.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

It's likely the Z-Star launches lower but has a slightly higher peak height due to additional spin.

Maybe for the irons...

...but for the driver, according Srixon, the Z-Star should launch higher and should also have the higher spin rate, than the XV...

...and both have the same aerodynamics according Srixon.

Got to play this afternoon is semi-windy conditions; Played as a single so most of the day I could play a few balls on some holes, or at least on the short game shots. Played 2017 XV , 2015 V1x , Chrome Soft and B330-RX. The XV was the longest of the tee. It also held up will into the wind as well as any cross winds. It has a firmer feel of the putter than the rest but doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't check up as well as the Chrome Soft but again not a dig deal for me...

Thanks for the informative review Break! One question: which version of the chrome soft did you play? I cant tell if it was the 2015 version or the current version because of the 2015 in front of the v1x. Its not clear whether you meant the 2015 v1x and chrome soft or the 2015 v1x and the current chrome soft. Thanks!

Got to play this afternoon is semi-windy conditions; Played as a single so most of the day I could play a few balls on some holes, or at least on the short game shots. Played 2017 XV , 2015 V1x , Chrome Soft and B330-RX. The XV was the longest of the tee. It also held up will into the wind as well as any cross winds. It has a firmer feel of the putter than the rest but doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't check up as well as the Chrome Soft but again not a dig deal for me...

Thanks for the informative review Break! One question: which version of the chrome soft did you play? I cant tell if it was the 2015 version or the current version because of the 2015 in front of the v1x. Its not clear whether you meant the 2015 v1x and chrome soft or the 2015 v1x and the current chrome soft. Thanks!

It was the 2016 black and yellow 4 pc Truvis :)

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Overall flight path off my driver is where I saw the difference with the Z Star being less peak height than the XV. Gap wedge saw XV fly a little higher.

These are just observations of my swing results. Yours may vary.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

Overall flight path off my driver is where I saw the difference with the Z Star being less peak height than the XV. Gap wedge saw XV fly a little higher.

These are just observations of my swing results. Yours may vary.

...interesting - what is your swing speed, and have you tested both at the same time, on the same tee box?

Just bought 9 packs off Dick's. Will have to see if it doesn't get cancelled.

Bought 4 packs weeks ago and mine still haven't processed.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I received the box this past Friday, Z-Star XV, I did my testing versus the Chrome Soft X, B330S, K-Sig and V1X...played 3 rounds at Lee's Hill GC in Fredericksburg, VA.

Some stats:

Driver SS: 108

Spin Avg: 2100-2300

Avg Distance: 275 carry, 295 total

Ball Flight: Medium, cut/fade

6 iron SS: 94

Spin Avg: 6000-6100

Avg Distance: 180-190

Ball Flight: Low to Med, slight fade

Durability: Very good, not excellent, but very good, had one groove mark from wedge shots, stayed "very white", throughout the rounds

Distance:

Driver: at least 5-8 yards longer than the others on average, the closest one was the K-Sig, I did hit some of my longer drives with it, hole 10 522y Par5, had 185y in and hole 18 544y Par 5, had 193 in, so definitely longer off the tee for me, still felt soft, not harsh at all.

3W and DI: again, longer than the others, here the CS-X was the closest one, seemed to cut right through the wind with plenty of roll.

Long Irons: felt soft, didn't overspin for me, again, longer than the others, K-Sig was the closest one, very penetrating ball flight with enough spin to hold greens on a long approaches.

Short Irons: here is where things got closer, about the same distance as the others, soft, one hop and stop reaction, had two holes where it spun back about 18", the B330S felt softer and was very spinny, the V1X felt harder, kind of the same reaction of one hop and stop...again, distance was almost identical here.

Wedges: only the B330S spun more, the others were about the same distance and spin, felt softer than the V1X, the others felt about the same.

Putter: the CS-X definitely softer, B330S, K-Sig and XV felt almost identical, the V1X was firmer...distance control was very good.

Played one full round yesterday with only the XV, scored 76, stayed very straight and long off the tee, my go to fade was working perfectly, had a few holes that hurt me a bit, but not due to ball performance, just my error in club selection, greens were very fast (which I like), approach shots held the green especially on Par5s, I hit 4i and 3 DI to the green and it stayed on, don't know if I was having a great ball striking day, but I was hitting one less club to every green, normally my 140y shot is my PW, hit one and flew the green, next time I hit my 50* and was pin high with a bit if back spin...

Overall: I think Srixon has a winner here, very solid overall golf ball, durable, great distance off the tee, softer feel, spin on approach shots and off the tee was great, very solid off the putter, not clicky at all, I will definitely play it, it may be my gamer for the rest of the year...again thanks to GolfWRX and Srixon for the opportunity...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I received the box this past Friday, Z-Star XV, I did my testing versus the Chrome Soft X, B330S, K-Sig and V1X...

Overall: I think Srixon has a winner here, very solid overall golf ball, durable, great distance off the tee, softer feel, spin on approach shots and off the tee was great, very solid off the putter, not clicky at all, I will definitely play it, it may be my gamer for the rest of the year...again thanks to GolfWRX and Srixon for the opportunity...

Great review man - Thank you for all that detail! Have you compared the XV to the 2016 Chrome Soft (NON X version) by chance? I personally hate the CSX - spins waaay too much for me and isnt is long off the driver as the regular CS. Everybody seems to be comparing the Chrome Soft X to the ZStar XV, but the much better comparison is the regular Chrome Soft to the XV..

I play the Chrome Soft now and still get a little too much greenside spin with it with my short irons (Im spinning back off the front of greens with the CS), so Im looking for someone who might be able to weigh in on a comparison of short iron spin (8i - LW full swings) between the XV and CS. Anyone got that? If so, thanks!

Longtime B330 user here, there seems to be an outage of B330's here. So I had to buy something else, I tired the Nike Tour RZN Platinum (pretty good ball), Cally Chrome Soft (too soft feeling for me), so I was looking around and remembered all the good feedback I read here about the Z Star XV (2017) so I grabbed a dozen.

Played a round yesterday, it's always windy here, the ball surpassed my expectations. I feels great, kinda reminds me of the B330 actually. Cover durability is ok, but nor terrible. Short game it's lovely, especially those flighted 50-110 yard wedge shots into the wind. Easy to flight, and no worry about it spinning out of control on the green.

Off the tee, wow. Cuts through the wind nicely and I was constantly surprised but how easily it held it's line in the wind.

I think I'm gonna play these for the rest of the year, great great ball.

100% agree

Longtime B330 user here, there seems to be an outage of B330's here. So I had to buy something else, I tired the Nike Tour RZN Platinum (pretty good ball), Cally Chrome Soft (too soft feeling for me), so I was looking around and remembered all the good feedback I read here about the Z Star XV (2017) so I grabbed a dozen.

Played a round yesterday, it's always windy here, the ball surpassed my expectations. I feels great, kinda reminds me of the B330 actually. Cover durability is ok, but nor terrible. Short game it's lovely, especially those flighted 50-110 yard wedge shots into the wind. Easy to flight, and no worry about it spinning out of control on the green.

Off the tee, wow. Cuts through the wind nicely and I was constantly surprised but how easily it held it's line in the wind.

I think I'm gonna play these for the rest of the year, great great ball.

Great to hear. Thanks for the review! These are a must try for me this year.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Made switch from B330s few weeks ago 14 model and still like that ball. '17 version XV and was -5 through 10 holes this morning. Finished up a -4 for the day. The XV is not the softest ball on the market, which is my preference and why I liked the 14' version of the B330s better than the 16' version. The XV is powerful off the driver and sits on my short to mid irons w no back up. Perfect feel for my putting preference. A little clicky which is why I went w the XV over the Z during my trial packs. Great ball.

If anyone wants to purchase some of the 6 packs from me, I have quite a few. I stocked up but am leaning toward TP5, B330s, and Pro v as my gamer instead. These just feel too hard for me. Message me if interested.

I may take you up on that!

I've played the TP5X and XV side by side a few times now. The XV, for me, has offered more consistent ball flight in windy conditions, more consistent response around the greens, but a tad firmer feeling off the putter. Both balls are long off the driver, however, I was able to control the XV a bit better.

Can't go wrong with either, but for the price there isn't much better than the XV.