2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2017 Srixon Z star XV

kjrules

Played with the '17 XV again this weekend and I maintain that this is an incredible golf ball in the wind. The short iron and wedge control is amazing, I can back up wedges without fear of them getting away from me, short and mid irons are all pretty close to their pitchmarks which gives me more confidence to have a go at flags. Off the tee I'm still not sure if it's any longer than other balls but it performs in the wind unlike any other ball which helps with the confidence. My only problem is the firm feel off the putter but really I'm nitpicking, I can get used to it.

This will be my golf ball for a long while.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was able to play with the XV today. Loved the ball and it performed very well. This is an incredibly straight ball off the driver and the hybrids I hit. The flight is high and on a windy day I felt it performed very well. Great spin around the greens, and the ball's distance is very good. I was regretting that I only picked up xv with the 6pk special and no the Zstars as well, but now I feel validated by seeing the consistent straight drives. Definitely worth gaming it. I was comparing to the 2017 Prov1 and while the Titleist is clearly the softer ball prefer the harder feel with a little click of the xv, I think it provides better feedback.

I played with the xv this weekend. My only gripe was I had 2 shots out of the sand during the day, both were brand new balls. Both of them got absolutely torn up after one strike. Half inch gash in each one had to finger nail file the jagged edges off, granted it checked up great but still the durability after one sand shot was definitely not there

I played the xv against the chrome soft. While the xv has a harder feel, the performance was very similar off the driver and irons. I played 6 holes, with the 2 balls side by side on every shot. While I prefer the softer feel of the chrome soft, I am willing to play the xv for a good deal. Got a "15 pack" off eBay with free shipping for $32, which is the same as $24/dozen (this was the 2016 model).

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Got to play this afternoon is semi-windy conditions; Played as a single so most of the day I could play a few balls on some holes, or at least on the short game shots. Played 2017 XV , 2015 V1x , Chrome Soft and B330-RX. The XV was the longest of the tee. It also held up will into the wind as well as any cross winds. It has a firmer feel of the putter than the rest but doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't check up as well as the Chrome Soft but again not a dig deal for me. I would rate these as:

Distance - A+

Control on full shots - A (ball stopped near its pitch mark with 8 or 9 iron, 6-7 iron would release maybe 6 - 8 feet.

Green Side spin - B

Durability - C (this is where I was a little disappointed) maybe I am used to the older model in yellow which seems bulletproof. I think the cover might be slightly softer that the 2015 so maybe they are trading the extra firm feel for just firm and sacrifice a little durability?

Price - A+ Well at $20 a dozen on the promo packs is a no brainer......

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I have played Srixion for 4 or 5 years. I took both the new z star and the XV out today. I normally play Z star, not a high speed player.

17 Z Star is softer feeling ball, is good in the wind like always, might check a little better when chipping. Feels softer off the putter compared to past models. It's not as durable as past years. This ball is somewhere in the middle of the pro v and V1x 2017

17 XV, This isn't my normal ball, I think it plays similar to the past years, good in the wind, firmer feel, and still has that click off a putter. I think it will show damage quicker than past years, but still better ball than the Pro V.

your commentary on the xv being better than the pro V (2017) - just wondering which one and in driver distance or ?

trying to decide between the v1x and the xv - any insight appreciated

Nice avatar!

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

I have played Srixion for 4 or 5 years. I took both the new z star and the XV out today. I normally play Z star, not a high speed player.

17 Z Star is softer feeling ball, is good in the wind like always, might check a little better when chipping. Feels softer off the putter compared to past models. It's not as durable as past years. This ball is somewhere in the middle of the pro v and V1x 2017

17 XV, This isn't my normal ball, I think it plays similar to the past years, good in the wind, firmer feel, and still has that click off a putter. I think it will show damage quicker than past years, but still better ball than the Pro V.

your commentary on the xv being better than the pro V (2017) - just wondering which one and in driver distance or ?

trying to decide between the v1x and the xv - any insight appreciated

Nice avatar!

Most people have no idea what that is.

zstar xv (2017) is much longer than the Pro v1x. Like not in the same ball park, Played 9 holes at my usual stop and seeing places on the course I didn't even know existed.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

For me the new XV and last years V1X are very similar off the tee. High Launch, low spin, and takes off when it lands. With the irons is where the XV beats the V1X. Better wind control and a more preferable flight for me.

what flight is that on irons that your prefer

and have you tried it against the '17 v1x?

For me the new XV and last years V1X are very similar off the tee. High Launch, low spin, and takes off when it lands. With the irons is where the XV beats the V1X. Better wind control and a more preferable flight for me.

what flight is that on irons that your prefer

and have you tried it against the '17 v1x?

It's kind of tough to describe. I hit the V1X (last year) extremely high with my irons. The XV is the perfect medium. Not too high, not too low, but just right. Yesterday I hit a 6 iron that just pushed thru the head wind and flew over the green. I haven't tried it against the new V1X, but I just picked up a dozen of the new V1. I haven't gamed Titleist balls since my middle/high school NXT days, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the new V1 is all about.

I really wanted to fall in love with either of these balls, as the pricing right now is outstanding to stockpile. It may have just been my swing the last few rounds, but I just can't keep these balls in the middle of the short stuff off the tee. For approach and wedge shots, they seemed a good 5-10 yards longer than my current ball(s?) The ProV1 and more recently, the Nike RZN Tour Platinum. It just didn't behave for me off the tee. On the seventh tee box, after watching another drive fly right...I swapped to a RZN for the rest of the round and never missed a fairway. Maybe it's mental, but I ended up returning the half dozen 6 packs I purchased and got more Nikes. Driver is typically one of my most confident clubs too, so who knows! Different strokes as they say.

Regardless, I wouldn't discourage people from trying to ball because a hack like myself doesn't care for them =)

Bought the 6 packs of both regular and XV. Played the regular today. Shot a good round but it wasn't nearly as soft as I expected. I have been playing the Maxfli U6 soft and loving them. Haven't played my Kirklands yet. Waiting for better weather and better golf from me.

The regular z star stopped well on green. Flew well off the driver and putted decent , but I just didn't care for the feel. The XV yellow (pre spin skin) used to be my favorite ball and never felt hard to me but this regular z star did today for some reason. Not a rock but not soft by any means

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Bought the 6 packs of both regular and XV. Played the regular today. Shot a good round but it wasn't nearly as soft as I expected. I have been playing the Maxfli U6 soft and loving them. Haven't played my Kirklands yet. Waiting for better weather and better golf from me.

The regular z star stopped well on green. Flew well off the driver and putted decent , but I just didn't care for the feel. The XV yellow (pre spin skin) used to be my favorite ball and never felt hard to me but this regular z star did today for some reason. Not a rock but not soft by any means

I was just telling some guys today how crazy soft the Z star is and how it felt nothing like the xv off the putter....I could not imagine playing a softer ball.

I was just telling some guys today how crazy soft the Z star is and how it felt nothing like the xv off the putter....I could not imagine playing a softer ball.

It is crazy soft, but personally I like that. There is no mushiness to it, despite the softness and low compression.

I began using my Z trial pack for range practice. Went back to 2014 B330s as I simply putt better with it. Couldn't get the Z to the hole. To soft for me. Saving the XVs for warmer weather and hoping it has some click to it. If you like marshmallows then the Z may be for you. I'm sure the XV will suit my style much better as I loved the 2013 versions and played them for several years

Academy sports has 6 packs of the zstar XV and z star for 10.99...

I just bought 6 of the 6 packs at Academy Sports in Memphis for 9.99 a pack. There were a lot left of each version.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

zstar xv (2017) is much longer than the Pro v1x. Like not in the same ball park, Played 9 holes at my usual stop and seeing places on the course I didn't even know existed.

So just how much longer is it?

it's disturbing to me. Yes i am long enough for many courses but no Bubba. It is still a warm winter opposed to summer and i am hitting wedges into 420 yard holes in maryland. it is a good 10 -20 yards longer than the X ball off the tee for me, never liked the feel of the X off the irons...felt like a rock..this is where the XV shines even more. I have had to go one club less for similar length shots with RZN tour black which are my all time favourites. XV feels really nice off the irons. I am actually scared that it would be too long in the summer..i don't have the best short game lol .. maybe it matches well with my cobra ltd pro at 8.5 since it goes so high off the tee but lands and runs like a hare...got the speeder evo II 661 ..i am mentally trying to find a reason for the massive drives i am seeing with this ball. I have also played 2 rounds with the same ball lol. still looks pearly white.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I've been playing the XV since the first generation so I'm always excited about the new gen. Went out today played a quick 9 to compare the 2015 and 2017. For me, I found the 2015 slighty softer off the putter (red x) as well as driver as chips and pitches. Distance was was about the same for me. 2017 seemed to have a little more height on all shots but about the same amount of spin (all my irons stop dead).

I've been playing the z stars for about a week and a half now and I love them. I picked up two dozen in the $10 trial packs and I'm starting to really like them. Ball feels longer than the pro v1 off the tee and just as soft as the pro v1 around the greens. Can't beat it especially when I payed $40 for two dozen

I was able to get out yesterday and play the new XV and I am glad I stocked up on the 6 packs. I had been playing the Chrome Soft but my instructor noticed they were flying too low for me. The XV launches mid-high for me, is a beast off the tee, and wedge shots were cutting through the wind. This is a great ball!

I found what looks like a good deal to me. Maybe someone else has posted this, but thought I would pass it along. Dicks Sporting Goods - Free shipping 6 pack of XV for $9.99. Heres the link :http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/srixon-z-star-xv-golf-balls--performance-6-pack-17srxm2017zstrxvpgbla--1--2/17srxm2017zstrxvpgbla?&color=