2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive jumped all in and have committed to the SL concept for the foreseeable future.

3rd range session was much better.. Enough that I played a tournament with them, won a skin, hahahah. I'm still getting used to the lighter weight and my timing. I still hit a few right, and chunk it when I step on it. Both I attribute to the lighter weight. I am beginning to see my distances, but they are not quite there with my last set, so will see how this progresses. The 4i and 5i are pretty similar, but I again, this beginning to change.

The Modus 105x shaft is still fab! Not harsh, and nothing like the PX. I like these much better and I have wondered what they would have felt like in my now gone DPC's.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Let me see if I understand. You are a 16 handicap who hits a 37" 4 iron 210 yards. You have "zero issues except once in a blue moon" with your 4 iron, and the only issue is that you hit it too good. You four iron is delofted two degrees, which means you are able to hit a club as long as seven iron with only 19* of loft consistently over two hundred yards. Going to SL has made you so good that you can do things tour pros can only dream about (the best player on tour last year with a 19* club was Robert Garrigus, with dispersion of 41 feet, 3 inches, which is very large). Further, your irons are now "automatic" due to both going to SL and shortening your backswing approximately 1 1/2" (Assuming you are about 6'). What's it like having automatic irons? Do your buddies even actually make you hit the shots anymore?

I want to make sure I understand exactly what you are claiming here, because to be frank I'd have less of a "Whaaaaaaaaaaat?" reaction if you told me you went to Mars to get fitted. Am I reading your post correctly?

EDIT

If you got a SureOut wedge, a beat-up Scotty, a high loft driver, and a 2 hybrid instead of a 3 wood you'd be unbeatable with the SLs. You'd be an unstoppable WRX Voltron.

Douchy post

Automatic, if you took it literal that’s your problem.

Yes to the rest. You’re more than welcome to come out and join me for a round. Invitation is open! Otherwise I could care less if you believe it or not. Insecure some?

Still liking the one length though I do miss my variable length some now. Gaps are still the same and I’m absolutely hitting a 4 iron bent to 19* 205yds - again you’re more than welcome to come out and see for yourself if your so hard up to prove me wrong? What a hard on

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

FWIW, I also routinely hit the 4-iron 210.

Totally reasonable. I'm not even out and out saying he's full of it - I suspect it, but its possible SLs were that good for him I suppose. Just wanted to make sure I was reading his post right. This is a review thread - I use these threads to decide on new golf equipment all the time. If a 16 cap now hits a 19* club perfectly "except once in a blue moon" he hits it too good and the 16 caps irons are now "automatic", I might have to try some Cobra SLs - I could use some irons that can go on autopilot. I think he might be exaggerating just a touch though.

For the record I was a 16 about two years ago. While I’m only a 12 now I can still strike the ball decently for you to witness my length.

I didn’t see anything misleading in my post. I reread it and all I see is enthusiasm. I have been playing far better golf with the one length but they still don’t putt or chip for me LOL

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

They are not automatic yet for me. The reason I chose them was to have "one" swing, which may or may not be obtainable. With variable length irons, I choose a loft, adjust to that length, rinse and repeat throughout the bag. I hope with the SL's, I choose the loft, no need to adjust to the length, rinse and repeat. I have always struggled getting used to the different lengths, just did not feel as comfortable as I think a golfer should. So, trying the SL approach..

Now to train my brain to not search to find that variable length swing with the chosen loft. My brain and body still searches for that, say when I pull a SL 5i. It will take some time de-learning the mental and physical approach to the difference. But,, Ive been noted as a head case...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

The reason I chose them was to have "one" swing, which may or may not be obtainable...

I just want to make a quick comment on this. I don't have one swing. I've got at least 4 swings for each club, and that's not counting fades and draws. For me, the advantage of these clubs is that a 1/2 swing with one club is exactly the same as a 1/2 swing for another. Same with all the other swings. No adjustment is needed. So, I've got a whole matrix of swings and clubs that give me the ability to get at the same distance a number of different ways. That's an aspect of the game I didn't have before and one of the reasons I like these clubs so much. Frankly, the game is more fun.

I have often said "I wish I could hit my 5-iron with as much 'pep, zip, swoosh, zoom, rockets-firing' as my 8-/9-/PW-irons. So my question I have to find out, is it the loft converging with my angle of attack that does that or because I got the ball closer to my feet and my body is more over the ball with those shorter irons that I get more power into them?

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

The reason I chose them was to have "one" swing, which may or may not be obtainable...

I just want to make a quick comment on this. I don't have one swing. I've got at least 4 swings for each club, and that's not counting fades and draws. For me, the advantage of these clubs is that a 1/2 swing with one club is exactly the same as a 1/2 swing for another. Same with all the other swings. No adjustment is needed. So, I've got a whole matrix of swings and clubs that give me the ability to get at the same distance a number of different ways. That's an aspect of the game I didn't have before and one of the reasons I like these clubs so much. Frankly, the game is more fun.

I hear and second this.. I just did not define it as well as you...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have Sterlings and I enjoy them... starting to see some used Cobra set's pop up on ebay at decent prices. Tempted to try them for fun...

Went to a Ping fitting the other day and couldn't hit a regular 7 iron to save my life... so use to SL at 8 iron specs.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I’ve had my set 2 weeks and still haven’t had a chance to get out and play or hit the range. I have hit a few shag balls in the back yard and I don’t think it’s gonna be too difficult of a transition. My set is 6-SW and I’m looking to go all in so if anyone has a 5 iron and/or LW and want to get rid of them hit me up.

‌So, I am friendly with the Cobra distributor where I live. I was curious to try the single length, asked him when there was a demo day coming, and he did me one (far) better and sent a set 5-G my way. He clearly thinks I am on the hook!

By way of background, I am a low 90s player and on the improve. Normal irons are Wishon 752 on FST 90s.

Tried the (non forged) Cobras at a mat range twice and loved them. Texted him and said they felt like cheating...however I did notice pretty quickly how low the 5 was flying, and how that Gap wedge was putting balls into orbit. Didn't like that.

‌Anyhow, took them out on the course this afternoon, my thoughts follow.

‌OK, they are very easy to hit, one swing and all that. Yup. However as the round wore on I came to find that the limitations were outweighing the benefits.

For the record, i didn't really notice any gapping issues between the irons. Sure, some getting used to, but that is true of any new clubs. This is a common criticism of single lengths, but wasn't my experience.

Problems:

I just never got over that ball flight issue that I first noticed at the range.

Using on course exacerbated that noticeably and since my home course is a shortish, windy links course, those wedges putting balls in space is entering deal breaker territory. I swear one came down with ozone on it.

Meanwhile, those low 5s and 6s are equally annoying. There is no clearing trees with these things for me.

Next up, uphill, downhill lies, balls above and below feet...nup. They are not working for me at all. Maybe with more time, I would get the hang of this, but we had a quiet course today, and I wasn't shy about tossing some extra balls down and trying again...just were not working for me.

Speaking of "working" - tested at the range, couldn't shape them at all. I am not a good enough player to really be shaping balls, but when all the stars align, I can do it with my Wishons. Those stars did not align at all over the 200 balls I hit in those sessions. On course, didn't even try.

Finally, the deal breaker for me was "the little dinky crap". I like to choke down and chip with my shorter irons, and it is normally one of my strong points. Still, these just felt all weird for that. I just couldn't do it. Shorter irons and you're basically holding shaft with a gut fulla grip. They just aren't built for it. Someone far smarter than me can certainly jump in and tell me all the reasons that the length is immaterial and if I did this or that then....to which all I can say is "man I tried...oh lord did I try".

Ultimately I am neither hater nor convert when it comes to single lengths. I guess as a 20 something hcp player, I am kind of the target market, and I did enjoy them when everything was flat, still and wonderful. My life is neither flat, still nor full of wonder, and so I will stick with my variables.

I am sure others can pull all the above apart, and feel free boys, have at it. Just my day out and hope that helps someone else debating the option.

Thanks for the write up. Funny how this game affects each different. I haven't experienced the ballooning, but I do have some gapping issues across the board, but I feel that this is due to my swing with the lighter weight. I'm coming from a much heavier forged iron, so my swing will need to settle in with the SL's. Right now I am a club shorter, and gapping from 5-6 is too close. I love the 4i!!! All this is a marked improvement over day one with them and my scores are beginning to get back to normal. And just to be fair, it took me some time to adjust to my first fitted irons just before these, averaging around an 84. I have gone 94, 90, 89, 87, 89 so far with the F7 SL's.. And this is with a lacking bag - D,H, SL 4-P, 52, 60.... Sold off my 3wood, 1 hybrid which is equal to my F7 4i, only wedges are a 52 and 60... So I need to pick up some more sticks to round it out...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Played today in windy conditions and maybe suffered a tad with the height of the 9 and PW, but not much. I am beginning to see a widening of the gap between my 4 and 5, but my 6 is not giving me the distance of my last 6 yet. I played really well today, feeling more comfortable with each outing...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

In my expert opinion (Do I get to call myself that with SL Irons? Hahah) After 101 rounds of golf and 300-500 range balls a week that this is what I noticed:

It took me 6-8 weeks to truly get comfortable. :::For me::: it was worth it, but obviously it is not for everyone.

Gapping can be an issue at the lower lofted end of the bag, but now that I hit more solid shots more often that more than makes up for it.

I dont know how to post Game Golf images but my GPS verified yardage shows consistent gaps everywhere except between my 6 and 7 BUT I think this is because I choose to hit a hard 7 a lot of the time. I think as more rounds get plugged in I'll end up with an 11 yard gap with each club from my 201 5 iron all the way down to my 90 yard LW.

Totally agree Mcgeeno,,

Adding, it's not unlike any new set/shaft really. Adjusting to the 7i swing for every decision (except the partial shots) takes physical and mental adjustments.

No magic here, still just metal on the end of a stick, but my swing is beginning to become more similar with each, no thinking and adjusting body to the diff lengths. If you struggle to hit your VL 7i consistently you will do pretty much the same with SL's. But, this is the length you are practicing with constantly, and I predict you will improve with the 7i, and ultimately with the rest of the bag. Thankfully, my 7i in VL was my most predictable club ( not counting 9 and wedges. I do still hit some wtf shots with it, but compared to the 6,5,4 I found a higher %of success. Now that every iron is that length, I am finding a higher % of success across the board.

I am still only practicing and playing full swing shots, but feel confident now to begin to practice the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 as well. Yesterday I did this with the PW and was getting comfortable, but in true golf fashion, when it came to doing it on the course, with the perfect situation for the chip and run,,, I chunked it.. Grrr.. Might have happened with my previous wedge so, no harm and more practice needed,, such is golf...

I am digging the concept, the quality of the F7, and the Modus3 105 is fantastic! No regrets...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I had my first round yesterday after having my irons for over 2 weeks. Got there early and hit a small bucket mainly to just loosen up. Anyway it was an up and down round but not because of the irons as I actually hit some of my best iron shots that I have in awhile. Everything wanted to go left about middle of the round and it hurt me off the tee but I was still able to get out of trouble for the most part with only 3 really bad holes. Things I noticed about the irons.....Distances were similar to my old set. Feel of the clubs are surprisingly great. Using the same ball, Chrome Soft x, I noticed the ball had more bite. On the front side I hit 7/9 greens, 6 putts under 20 ft, made 1 :( . The 2 greens I missed on the front may have been because of the 2 terrible tee shots. It’s hard to assess the back as I was all over the place only hitting 3 greens.

I posted this at 4gea.com and thought it was relevant to this thread.

RoyRoger82(4GEA member) has the Cobra King F7 One Length with the stock KBS FLT Stiff shaft at 38.25" long, or +1" and 2* upright and was gracious enough to let me demo them today at the range.

Once I got warmed up...I was VERY impressed with the clubs.

When holding up the clubs and looking at the back of the club...ugh, not really a fan. The club's rear face medallion is kind of cheesy and ugly. Not a fan of that at all.

That being said, when standing over the ball at address...they are very clean looking. They're not blade like at all, but they do a great job of 'hiding' the GI 'features' of the club. Top line is 'moderate', offset is there, but not ridiculous, the sole is a bit wider than I'd like, but read on...I still liked, not LOVED these clubs.

I started with the PW, and on the 3rd swing, hit a TOWERING shot that flew an easy 125 yards. I mean, it felt like I made very little effort. I know that the club has 45* of loft as compared to my current PW which is 48*...but the height....WOW. I have never hit ANY iron as high as I hit this one. OH, and it was straight...how straight? Straighter than Hugh Hefner. That's how straight.

I switched to the 7 iron after a few swings, and was hitting it, also very high...but a good solid 155-160 yards.

I switched to the 5 iron, and this was when the clubs started looking weird to me. RoyRoger82 pointed out that I actually bent over more with the 5 iron, despite the fact that it was the same length as the PW and 7iron...purely mental. The first few swings with the 5 iron were odd. Then...I smashed one and was rewarded with a very hot, penetrating bullet that flew about 180 yards. This was so easily repeated it was laughable. At one point, I think RR82 was worried I was just going to take his clubs.

A word about the lower ball flight and those that might 'complain' about this aspect of the SL Irons.

This relates to my game, so feel free to argue.

I really do not have a lot of 175-185 yard shots into greens. A few par 3's, and mostly, I use a 5 iron to advance the ball down to set up a wedge or something into a par 5. Yes, I may have that shot at the green from time to time...but then let's figure that as a guy with a handicap of around 9...I am not going to hit the green more than about 20% of the time from 180 yards....so my point is, who the hell cares how 'low' the 5 iron flies. It is, in my opinion, a made up issue for guys that can't hit the green 20% of the time from 175-185 yards with a 5 iron anyway. Besides...every 'good player's shaft for every club is designed to 'keep the ball down and control trajectory'...WELL...THIS CONTROLS TRAJECTORY!

The next test was the GW and SW. As much as I wanted these to look/feel weird at address....as I said earlier in the other thread..."WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?"

Full swings yield an easy 100-105 yards with the GW, and it is a VERY high, very spinny ball flight. The 55* SW is the same, but flies about 85-100 yards on a solid full swing.

Here's where it took some work...1/2 and 3/4 swings were troublesome at first...in fact, it took me roughly half a bucket to figure this part out, but once I did...it was very easy to do. The key for using these VERY long wedges is the ball position. Once I found what I liked...man, I was hitting some very nice pitches in the 40, 50, 60, and 70 yard range.

I then hit a few 'knockdown' shots with the 7-9 irons, and like the wedges, figure out ball position was key, but the shot was the same as with standard length clubs.

Regarding the feel/feedback. Despite not being a forged club, they offer good feedback and DO penalize you on mis-hits...seriously, they are not that much different than the MacGregor 1025CM's I use in that regard. Solid center contact feels a bit clicky but has a nice 'smooth' to it. If a MacGregor Blade's solid contact feels as soft as a perfectly cooked medium rare steak...these would be like a strong medium...not quite 'soft', but soft enough.

I would really like to hit the Cobra One Length Forged side by side and see if it's worth $300 more for that 'forged feel' compared to these.

All in all...if I were a new golfer or a golfer over 6' tall...I'd seriously consider the Single Length irons. The simplicity of 'one swing' is real, but for me...the way I felt so at ease and comfortable over the ball with the 8-SW was something I've honestly never felt before in all the years I've been playing golf. It just felt GOOD. Hitting the ball so high and the same distance with less effort was also very nice.

I was also looking at Cobra's website...and they have a TON of shaft and grip upgrades for no extra charge, unless it's graphite, then it's $100 extra for the set.

I'm thinking 5-SW in the Cobra King F7 OR Forged One Length with Nippon Modus 120 Stiff flex shafts at +1", 2* upright, and with the JumboMax XL Size grips in 'red white and blue'...now to just get my house fixed.

....so my point is, who the hell cares how 'low' the 5 iron flies. It is, in my opinion, a made up issue for guys that can't hit the green 20% of the time from 175-185 yards with a 5 iron anyway. Besides...every 'good player's shaft for every club is designed to 'keep the ball down and control trajectory'...WELL...THIS CONTROLS TRAJECTORY!

This is an interesting point and something I've tried commenting on in the past with very little luck. After a while, when you learn to hit 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 shots with these clubs, you stop thinking of any particular club as producing a specific distance and start thinking of it as producing a specific height. For example, I never hit a knock-down 8-iron any more. When I want a lower, more piercing ball flight, I just hit a 1/2 5- or 6-iron. It's way easier and produces pretty much the same result.

....so my point is, who the hell cares how 'low' the 5 iron flies. It is, in my opinion, a made up issue for guys that can't hit the green 20% of the time from 175-185 yards with a 5 iron anyway. Besides...every 'good player's shaft for every club is designed to 'keep the ball down and control trajectory'...WELL...THIS CONTROLS TRAJECTORY!

This is an interesting point and something I've tried commenting on in the past with very little luck. After a while, when you learn to hit 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 shots with these clubs, you stop thinking of any particular club as producing a specific distance and start thinking of it as producing a specific height. For example, I never hit a knock-down 8-iron any more. When I want a lower, more piercing ball flight, I just hit a 1/2 5- or 6-iron. It's way easier and produces pretty much the same result.

I never thought of it that way before either.

I just don't have that many 185 yard shots...it's either a 7 iron or less or a 4 hybrid or more. Besides....if players truly want to keep the ball down..shortening the club will DEFINITELY do it.

My SL 5 iron was pretty low so I went hybrid in that slot. Mainly because at my home course if the tees are back I need to fly a waste bunker, a greenside bunker, and stick it on a fairly thin green. Just couldn't do it with the SL 5 iron... still love the SL clubs... never going back.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

My SL 5 iron was pretty low so I went hybrid in that slot. Mainly because at my home course if the tees are back I need to fly a waste bunker, a greenside bunker, and stick it on a fairly thin green. Just couldn't do it with the SL 5 iron... still love the SL clubs... never going back.

I bought a set off eBay that came with an F6 4/5 hybrid in place of the 5 iron. If I hit the 5 iron anything like the 6 iron I think it would be a better fit and I would adjust the 4/5 hybrid accordingly to get the proper gap and take my current 4 hybrid out of the bag. Let me know if you want to get rid of the 5 iron :).

Have a couple more rounds under my belt and getting more use to the clubs. Some further observations I’ve noticed. The wedges, the SW and GW especially, have a noticeably different feel compared to the longer clubs. Almost a little dead whereas the longer clubs it feels like the ball jumps off the face. Not necessarily bad just something I’ve noticed. Also with the wedges I have to consciously “go after them” because the length subconsciously makes me feel like it’s gonna go too far if I don’t and that’s not the case. Playing in some tough winds yesterday it was hard at times to pull a club. Playing into pretty much any kind of head wind you need to pull a couple extra clubs at least. The height of the shorter irons cause them to get ate up by the wind. Just something I’ll have to adjust to the more I play I guess but all in all I’ve hit a lot of good, solid iron shots with these clubs and that’s what I was looking for.

I was on the range today and was hitting a buddies forged one's and I have to say I was very very impressed. He likes his clubs lighter and had C-Taper light stiff shafts in them but 7 iron, 6 iron, gap wedge... No getting to know you time and barely warmed up with my clubs I did not miss the center of the face and they were very accurate, the soles cut through the turf and the flight was nice and they felt very nice, soft but solid. The 6 iron was lower and with noticeably less spin than I'm used to but flew right about my usual distance and this was into a headwind. The gap wedge did fly a bit higher but I was able to keep it lower when I wanted.

I feel like if I paired these irons with C-taper S+ or X it would be an even better fit. The only question I have is what would I do with the sand and lob wedge?... I really don't like the prospect of having a longer shaft as I use those two wedges for more touch shots that I believe would suffer.

I also wonder about the height of the long irons. The 6 iron was flying through a 4 iron window at 6 iron distance with what looked to be much lower spin. The short irons I can always hit knockdowns or take something off to bring down the flight and spin, but you can't really make up for that loss of length and club head speed in the long irons. I do typically hit a high ball but being able to hit a towering 5 that will hold hard greens at distance is a good thing and my concern is I might lose that shot going to a single length set... But... I am intrigued and truthfully I could see being more accurate with a single length set and the 6, 5, and 4 would definitely be better in the wind without any set up changes, so I am strongly considering experimenting with these 4-gw... If I could get them in raw finish that would probably seal the deal...

I was on the range today and was hitting a buddies forged one's and I have to say I was very very impressed. He likes his clubs lighter and had C-Taper light stiff shafts in them but 7 iron, 6 iron, gap wedge... No getting to know you time and barely warmed up with my clubs I did not miss the center of the face and they were very accurate, the soles cut through the turf and the flight was nice and they felt very nice, soft but solid. The 6 iron was lower and with noticeably less spin than I'm used to but flew right about my usual distance and this was into a headwind. The gap wedge did fly a bit higher but I was able to keep it lower when I wanted.

I feel like if I paired these irons with C-taper S+ or X it would be an even better fit. The only question I have is what would I do with the sand and lob wedge?... I really don't like the prospect of having a longer shaft as I use those two wedges for more touch shots that I believe would suffer.

I also wonder about the height of the long irons. The 6 iron was flying through a 4 iron window at 6 iron distance with what looked to be much lower spin. The short irons I can always hit knockdowns or take something off to bring down the flight and spin, but you can't really make up for that loss of length and club head speed in the long irons. I do typically hit a high ball but being able to hit a towering 5 that will hold hard greens at distance is a good thing and my concern is I might lose that shot going to a single length set... But... I am intrigued and truthfully I could see being more accurate with a single length set and the 6, 5, and 4 would definitely be better in the wind without any set up changes, so I am strongly considering experimenting with these 4-gw... If I could get them in raw finish that would probably seal the deal...

The other thought I had, is that, because all you're irons now will be swinging at 7 iron speed.. would it make sense to vary shaft flex?

for example... C-Taper X in G-8, S+ in 7 and 6, then S in 5 and 4... SS will effectively be higher in the G-8, = in the 7, then effectively lower for 6-4... so wouldn't it make sense to weaken the flex in the long irons to get some of that height and spin back?

And using a stiffer, heavier shaft in the G-8 would bring the flight and spin down... Any low cap high ss players tinkering with this stuff?