One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing the F7's with modus 120 for about a month now and absolutely love them. The off set does bug me some but they feel good, launch is perfect and plenty long. I had the 5 and 6 built 1* strong in loft and I have zero gap issues, each stick is about 10-13 yards longer then the next.

I just traded a guy my Sterlings for his set of Forged one length. Plan to take the 5-6 to the shop to alter the loft 1* strong.

They come with the stock KBS FLT shaft, anyone using the shaft with one length? Thoughts on it?

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

I've been playing the F7's with modus 120 for about a month now and absolutely love them. The off set does bug me some but they feel good, launch is perfect and plenty long. I had the 5 and 6 built 1* strong in loft and I have zero gap issues, each stick is about 10-13 yards longer then the next.

I just traded a guy my Sterlings for his set of Forged one length. Plan to take the 5-6 to the shop to alter the loft 1* strong.

They come with the stock KBS FLT shaft, anyone using the shaft with one length? Thoughts on it?

Just remember that the lofts of the (standard set) irons in the One set and the Forged set are not the same. The Forged 6 iron is 29 degrees and the 5 is 26 degrees. In the One set, the 6 iron is 26 degrees and the 5 irons is 23 degrees.

Here is something interesting:

The shafts are for the most part all cut differently:

- from the top of the ferrule the 5i has a 6.5" gap to the first step

- the 9-GW only has 3.5" gap

Why are they all tip trim differently? Specially with the FLT shafts since they range in different tip stiffness already.

See photos

e8163dba50356a3a16acf72e3ca990a2.jpge0aed9d1a5ef3e7b7b3ba5e9fb1078a7.jpg

Just curious, to the person who pounded me about my lie angles being screwed up when I mentioned I did something 'close to' the one-size irons by cutting down my irons by marking off a 1.25-inch mark at the end of my 3-iron butt end, 0.25-inch off the end of the PW butt end, lining them up, drawing a line from the -1.25-inch to the -0.25 inch mark across the set and cutting them down accordingly (in effect, compressing the length differences between them). Maybe that's why I played equally-well or better with that set, as I normally have set up to an iron shot (with 7-iron and longer) by pushing toe-down in pre-shot routine and end up hitting with nice contact (no, I'm not trying to hit with the toe down, just saying, I line up that way at setup, but just progress through a normal strike).

So people like Sergio who choke down a lot on their irons, are they not in effect screwing up their lie angles? (I recall an interview when they asked him why he does that instead of getting them cut down and he said something like he grew up playing like that or some such).

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Question about the One-Length-Irons.... Are they strict on the same length as 7-iron? or is that just standard default? If you find your best club that you strike with is an 8-iron, or better, whatever the length is determined after fitting, would they be fit to that length regardless of what the standard iron-length is?

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Question about the One-Length-Irons.... Are they strict on the same length as 7-iron? or is that just standard default? If you find your best club that you strike with is an 8-iron, or better, whatever the length is determined after fitting, would they be fit to that length regardless of what the standard iron-length is?

You can order them pretty much any length you want.

Yes.

In a fitting for a traditional length, a fitter finds a head/shaft/grip/lie angle/length using one iron (if i remember right, a Ping fitting cart is all 7i. I remember reading forum threads on fittings where they used 6i), to find the best shot results and then builds a set off it using the 1/2" length/0.50° lie progression up & down the set make up (that is until you get to wedges). Same for SL, find the best shots results for shaft/length/grip/lie angle and build off it, usually either 37" (traditional length for 7i) or 36.5" (traditional length for 8i). Some will go +1/2" on length (37.5") or more, but usually only tall golfers. I am going to build a set with 63.5° lie, which is +1 degree upright from the mfg std and 36.5" which is my current 8i spec, and the club I hit the best/consistent of my irons. I hope to have them completed by this weekend.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I just received my PW and GW, so the Cobras kicked the last of my Sterlings out of the bag. Set all the MOIs to 2625 and SWs to D1 with Lamkin mid-sized grips. That equates to about D2.5 if they had standard grips. I'm just carrying the Cobras, a Wishon SW and driver, and an Anser 3 putter. That's it. Light bag.

Finished them today

20170514_114501%202_zpspukchlif.jpg

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel

I've read that sales have exceeded expectations by up to 300%. While I'm sure this number is exaggerated, what does this mean for Cobra's one length future? Is it the kind of club that warrants a yearly realease?

I think the true measure of long term viability will be how flooded the secondhand online marketplace becomes in the fall.

I've read that sales have exceeded expectations by up to 300%. While I'm sure this number is exaggerated, what does this mean for Cobra's one length future? Is it the kind of club that warrants a yearly realease?

I think the true measure of long term viability will be how flooded the secondhand online marketplace becomes in the fall.

I wouldn't mind taking the F7's in graphite for an extended spin... it would be fun to play a few rounds with them and see how they perform. I usually don't like offset, but for some reason the offset on these don't really bother me.

I just received my PW and GW, so the Cobras kicked the last of my Sterlings out of the bag. Set all the MOIs to 2625 and SWs to D1 with Lamkin mid-sized grips. That equates to about D2.5 if they had standard grips. I'm just carrying the Cobras, a Wishon SW and driver, and an Anser 3 putter. That's it. Light bag.

I took my newly-completed set out for a quick 9-hole spin yesterday, and it performed beautifully. Obviously, I don't have a complete set of yardages, but everything I hit was right on the number. In fact, the 4-iron performed better off the tee than I ever dreamed. I got 220 off one tee and 229 (down wind) off another, both in the middle of the fairway. I couldn't set the ball out there better than that. If there's a gap hole, it's in the middle of the set. I clubbed the 8-iron to 150 and the 7-iron to 171. Nonetheless, these are not terrible numbers.

A chipping session on Monday night (course I went to closes range on Mondays, I didn't know) and small bucket range session before league last night. My worry, 5i, for naught, able to elevate no problem. Seeing better accuracy compared to my traditional Pings (meaning straighter, no off line shots), but still need to figure out distance gaps. They seem to go same distance as my Pings, just higher on the 9i-SW. I am a high ball hitter to start, so I am used to high. So, I decided to put them in the bag for league play. Didn't let me down. Only one bad result and that was a badly fatted tee shot, the indian, not the arrow. Just need more range sessions, they show promise, at least for me.

Ping G30 4H R

Srixon Soft Feel

I initially tried them as a goof and a curiosity - also because I get bored and like to tinker with my irons. Figured I would see what all the fuss was about. Thankfully my club had an entire demo set that I could take out. Honestly, I was hooked after about a week. I have the stock F7s, stock shaft and I think they feel/look great.

I've never hit a 5i like I hit this one - ever. And I really don't care what the loft is - why would anyone? I can hit a nice gentle fade the same distance as I used to struggle to hit a conventional 5 - and it feels like I'm barely trying. Much higher than I normally hit it too.

Now, I'm not sure about all the sciency mumbo jumbo that Bryson is trying to pass off as the second coming of iron knowledge - don't know, don't care. All I know is that they work for me.

Not sure what else to say, I'm selling my PSIs so these are in the bag for the season. I think to demo them though you really do need to take the whole set out. I know that's a lot easier said than done. But you really do need experience hitting the GW/PW on the low end and the 5i on the high end.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Anyone go one length 4-9 and then transition into Cobras standard length PW and GW?

No but I want to for my backup bag. I traded my wishon Sterling irons for the forged version. So now I'm using the 5-7 in the F7 one length and 8-GW in the forged one length. So for my backup bag I'd love to use the 5-7 forged one length paired with either the 8-GW cavity backs or the forged tec. Just finding it hard to find a small set like that used. Just not interested in paying $600 for a new set of 4 clubs.

Anyone go one length 4-9 and then transition into Cobras standard length PW and GW?

No but I want to for my backup bag. I traded my wishon Sterling irons for the forged version. So now I'm using the 5-7 in the F7 one length and 8-GW in the forged one length. So for my backup bag I'd love to use the 5-7 forged one length paired with either the 8-GW cavity backs or the forged tec. Just finding it hard to find a small set like that used. Just not interested in paying $600 for a new set of 4 clubs.

They are the only two clubs I'm struggling with. Mainly due to loss of distance on half or 3/4 shots or anytime I choke down a little due to the lighter heads in those irons.

After playing them over a month my only issue, because of length of the gap wedge, is feel on half shots and such. Going back to standard Vokey.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

After playing them over a month my only issue, because of length of the gap wedge, is feel on half shots and such. Going back to standard Vokey.

Yeah, I regrettably have to agree with this. The long and mid irons perform brilliantly and my distances are right on the number. I couldn't be happier. I'm good all the way down to PW, but I'm having trouble with the GW. I just can't bring myself to put a full swing on that club when I'm only 100 yards from the green, and I'm having a bizarre issue with shanks. I'll give it some more time, but I may have to go back to a conventional length GW.

I went ahead and cut the PW half inch and Gap a full inch. Added 4g of shaft tip weight to PW and 8g to GW. They are both playing at D0 now but I'm working them a heck of a lot better. I also stuck x-stiff shafts in the 8-GW - the flight with mine was just ridiculously high. I'm good now, actually really good.

I went ahead and cut the PW half inch and Gap a full inch. Added 4g of shaft tip weight to PW and 8g to GW. They are both playing at D0 now but I'm working them a heck of a lot better. I also stuck x-stiff shafts in the 8-GW - the flight with mine was just ridiculously high. I'm good now, actually really good.

Very interesting...thanks for sharing that.

I asked in an earlier post but I'll do it again. For the folks bagging these with the 5 iron being 23*, what's the top of your bag setup? My 4 hybrid is 23* playing at 38.5", so realistically it should be longer, right?

I carry the Cobra 4-iron, which I only use off the tee. Other than that, the only club I carry that's any longer is either a driver or 3W, but not both. The longest club I hit off the deck is a 5-iron. I rarely go for par-3s in two, so fairway woods don't offer me any advantage.

You are correct that a 38.5" 23 degree hybrid should fly a little longer than a 37" 23 degree 5-iron.

I am so tempted to try and pick up a set of these. I am playing Pinhawk SL's right now and they make the game seem much easier. However the feel is not too great.

Send me a pm if and when you decide to try. My F7 one lengths will up for sale soon (5-PW)

Having a ton of fun with the king forged one length. Don't see myself going back the F7's.

I am so tempted to try and pick up a set of these. I am playing Pinhawk SL's right now and they make the game seem much easier. However the feel is not too great.

Send me a pm if and when you decide to try. My F7 one lengths will up for sale soon (5-PW)

Having a ton of fun with the king forged one length. Don't see myself going back the F7's.

Can you say a bit more about how the forged SLs compare to the F7s?