One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

One more thing, it was funny playing with 2 new people on the weekend who were decent players but full out skeptics.

"Why did you go away from normal irons? Those work and everyone else hits them"

I was trying to be blunt and said the Model T was a good vehicle in the 1900's but people have made advancements, thought outside the box and improved on the original. We could all drive Model T cars around today and have the same life, but a bunch of people smarter than us were willing to try new things and improve on the concept.

I say just give it a try. They are sold out online and in retail for a reason IMO.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to demo the Cobra SL irons. Small adjustment to the 4 and 5 and they flew just fine. The wedge flight was also ok. That being said, for me, big difference in feel in the standard SL irons vs the forged SL irons. The forged ones felt amazing. To be fair, feel could have been a bit harsher just from the difference in shafts, the TT King shaft vs the KBS shaft. The KBS felt smoother through impact.

I spent over an hour hitting the irons from wedges through 4 irons on both sets. First off, yes it's different. Was it dramatically different? No. I think most of the comments about the difference between say a normal 5 iron and a SL 5 iron are a bit overblown. Indeed, with my gamer irons, MP-33, the 5 iron is just 3/4ths of an inch longer than the Cobra standard on the SLs of 37 inches. The wedges are what I noticed being longer but it really wasn't that much of an issue on any shot.

Single Length is definitely an interesting concept and I think Cobra has done an admirable job. I also believe that one has to have an open mind when hitting them and not be biased by pre-conceived notions of what length a club needs to be. I would also say that to get the 4 and 5 iron close to proper altitude a small ball position adjustment is required but that shouldn't be an issue for most people.

I got to demo the Cobra SL irons. Small adjustment to the 4 and 5 and they flew just fine. The wedge flight was also ok. That being said, for me, big difference in feel in the standard SL irons vs the forged SL irons. The forged ones felt amazing. To be fair, feel could have been a bit harsher just from the difference in shafts, the TT King shaft vs the KBS shaft. The KBS felt smoother through impact.

I spent over an hour hitting the irons from wedges through 4 irons on both sets. First off, yes it's different. Was it dramatically different? No. I think most of the comments about the difference between say a normal 5 iron and a SL 5 iron are a bit overblown. Indeed, with my gamer irons, MP-33, the 5 iron is just 3/4ths of an inch longer than the Cobra standard on the SLs of 37 inches. The wedges are what I noticed being longer but it really wasn't that much of an issue on any shot.

Single Length is definitely an interesting concept and I think Cobra has done an admirable job. I also believe that one has to have an open mind when hitting them and not be biased by pre-conceived notions of what length a club needs to be. I would also say that to get the 4 and 5 iron close to proper altitude a small ball position adjustment is required but that shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Did you notice any significant distance gapping in each club? Im still trying to find a place that has a full set to demo, but most only have the 5 or the 7 or the 9. I'm hearing the 4 and the 5 iron can be too close in distance, but then a huge gap difference in the wedges. I really want to say eff it and just order a set since the length of the 7 iron for the F7 SL is the same length as the 8 iron in my Vapor Fly Pro and the specs are nearly identical. But I do want to try out different shafts since it looks like a majority of the KBS shafts are no upcharge (at least when I went to Cobra's site) or even try the stock graphite.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

So I tried out a set at a local driving range. Hit the 5, 7, 9, and GW. The unfortunate thing was that the set only had regular flex. Kinda annoying since reg flex was spinning way too much and I could see that I was losing a good amount of distance.

Surprisingly enough, I really enjoyed the GW. It was easy to hit and I launched it way higher than my current gap wedge and I feel like I can hold really firm or fast greens with it. 7 iron was normal and felt like my current 7 iron. Now the 5 iron is a different story. It felt nice to have a much shorter 5 iron and I was hitting it straight but the drop off in distance was pretty significant. Again, it very much was probably the flex, but it was launching very low and not going anywhere. There's only one demo day coming up and I really hope that they have more shaft options than the stock shafts. I'm still open to trying them out and see if they would be a beneficial switch.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

I played with a chap who was using a set of these for the first time. He hit the longer irons really well, but as soon as they transitioned in to the "shorter" clubs (8 iron and below) he really struggled. His attempts to chip and pitch with a 7 iron length sand wedge were particularly comical, as was his distance control. On one particular approach shot he flushed his wedge and it airmailed the green by 30 yds. In the bar after I asked him what his thoughts on them were. He just said "eBay".

Personally, I don't know why anyone would ever be interested in using such bats, and I'm amazed that Cobra have gone all in on clubs that offer nothing but novelty value. I'm also outraged that you don't get a free flat cap with every purchase.

O, come on!!!! I do not know you so I refuse to make speculations about a character I do not know. What I will say is that if this story is not a figment of your imagination, the lesson you are attempting to impart is a lesson the "chap" could have ended up with if he would have played with the finest of equipment. The eBay remark I think is not only damning but defining of what we are dealing with. An eBay "chap" needs eBay clubs for an eBay game. The single length irons have nothing to do with it.

I have nothing against you or your story. It just bothers me that because we are afforded the right to express ideas, we do so without considering what we are really saying. I think the game of golf takes enough bull without the silliness. I do not own single length irons but the theory behind the concept is very practical. The concept is not a new concept. It is simply not very popular. My buddy uses single length irons and plays an outstanding game. The point I am making is that my buddy is a great player. Give him any piece of equipment and he will perform. The single length irons are only a tool that he believes better his approach to this game. They are not a novelty to him, as you so sarcastically put it. If you have trouble with my inferences, let's put it to the test. If you are in the California area, bring the "chap" to a designated course and we will lend him the best gear. My buddy will play 9 with conventional irons and 9 with single length. I am a single digit handicap and could play all 18 with single length to further highlight the ridiculousness of your statements. You can play with whatever equipment you want. Games is on us. Here is the deal, if your buddy is equally as goofy with great equipment and you are not game worthy to make statements about the technical aspect of equipment, you will come back here and retract your unfounded statements. Let's do it..

I played with a chap who was using a set of these for the first time. He hit the longer irons really well, but as soon as they transitioned in to the "shorter" clubs (8 iron and below) he really struggled. His attempts to chip and pitch with a 7 iron length sand wedge were particularly comical, as was his distance control. On one particular approach shot he flushed his wedge and it airmailed the green by 30 yds. In the bar after I asked him what his thoughts on them were. He just said "eBay".

Personally, I don't know why anyone would ever be interested in using such bats, and I'm amazed that Cobra have gone all in on clubs that offer nothing but novelty value. I'm also outraged that you don't get a free flat cap with every purchase.

O, come on!!!! I do not know you so I refuse to make speculations about a character I do not know. What I will say is that if this story is not a figment of your imagination, the lesson you are attempting to impart is a lesson the "chap" could have ended up with if he would have played with the finest of equipment. The eBay remark I think is not only damning but defining of what we are dealing with. An eBay "chap" needs eBay clubs for an eBay game. The single length irons have nothing to do with it.

I have nothing against you or your story. It just bothers me that because we are afforded the right to express ideas, we do so without considering what we are really saying. I think the game of golf takes enough bull without the silliness. I do not own single length irons but the theory behind the concept is very practical. The concept is not a new concept. It is simply not very popular. My buddy uses single length irons and plays an outstanding game. The point I am making is that my buddy is a great player. Give him any piece of equipment and he will perform. The single length irons are only a tool that he believes better his approach to this game. They are not a novelty to him, as you so sarcastically put it. If you have trouble with my inferences, let's put it to the test. If you are in the California area, bring the "chap" to a designated course and we will lend him the best gear. My buddy will play 9 with conventional irons and 9 with single length. I am a single digit handicap and could play all 18 with single length to further highlight the ridiculousness of your statements. You can play with whatever equipment you want. Games is on us. Here is the deal, if your buddy is equally as goofy with great equipment and you are not game worthy to make statements about the technical aspect of equipment, you will come back here and retract your unfounded statements. Let's do it..

the offer is open, if you in fact are from the U.K.

For those who ordered a set, has anyone gone to the 8 iron length? I looked at Cobra's page and saw that you can custom order a set to 8 iron length (which is my preferred shaft length), but then I started to wonder what would need to be done to the loft to compensate for the shorter length. I wanted to try a set but most places around me only have the 5 or 7 iron which kinda sucks since I wont be able to really benchmark distances against my current set.

I had my set built off of the 8 iron length (-1/2"), and I have no distance loss. FWIW I did this b/c my Adams CMB 7 iron was the same length as the 8 in the Cobra SL. I also did standard length KING MBs 9-GW

My set make up is

5-8 @ 8 iron length

9-GW standard lengths 1* strong on each so I could keep 4* loft separation.

w/ Modus 3 120 shafts

My gapping is no different than it was with a normal progressive length set.

For those who ordered a set, has anyone gone to the 8 iron length? I looked at Cobra's page and saw that you can custom order a set to 8 iron length (which is my preferred shaft length), but then I started to wonder what would need to be done to the loft to compensate for the shorter length. I wanted to try a set but most places around me only have the 5 or 7 iron which kinda sucks since I wont be able to really benchmark distances against my current set.

I had my set built off of the 8 iron length (-1/2"), and I have no distance loss. FWIW I did this b/c my Adams CMB 7 iron was the same length as the 8 in the Cobra SL. I also did standard length KING MBs 9-GW

My set make up is

5-8 @ 8 iron length

w/ Modus 3 120 shafts

That sounds like a great set-up, good luck with it

Hit both the F7 and forged one's and for the most part could not tell much of a diff. Both felt great, and on the monitor were pretty similar. I probably had a few more flyers with the F7 one's but in reality they were both performing well for me. If I had to choose it would be the forged only because they are forged.

The only odd feeling club was the transition to the forged driving iron..

I am 6'2" and usually play 1/2 over, but the stock sets felt great. Offset was diff but barley a factor....

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Hit both the F7 and forged one's and for the most part could not tell much of a diff. Both felt great, and on the monitor were pretty similar. I probably had a few more flyers with the F7 one's but in reality they were both performing well for me. If I had to choose it would be the forged only because they are forged.

The only odd feeling club was the transition to the forged driving iron..

I am 6'2" and usually play 1/2 over, but the stock sets felt great. Offset was diff but barley a factor....

I hear ya... they do feel good. If I try the Cobra's I'd do 6-PW. The gap on the cobra went sky high for me and the looks were a little too shovel-y. Other than that, they fly very straight for me and the feel like they have a huge sweet spot.

Just going back over the posts, we've got about 25 guys who have fessed up to using Cobras and another three who have ordered Edels. That's pretty good support for single length!

I'm continuing to replace my Sterlings with Cobras one at a time. So far, I've replaced everything but the PW and SW. I get them built 1/4" long (I'm 6'3") with TT-S300 shafts. The extra shaft weight helps balance out the SW when I add my preferred oversized grips. I tweak them all slightly to get the SW and MOI match as close as possible.

In my hands the Cobras go thru the grass a little better than the Sterlings because of the extra sole width. Also, the Cobra long irons feel better and sound better. I'd love to try the forged versions, but I don't have access to demos.

People complaining about trajectory with the long irons need to remember that the 4-iron has the loft of an old-school 2-iron, and the 5-iron is basically an old school 3-iron. Not a lot of people can hit those clubs with standard shaft lengths. I've always been a pretty decent long iron player, so I hit the 5-iron off the deck just fine. I only use the 4-iron off a tee so I can get the ball up the face a little bit.

I continue to believe that the advantage of single length is the shot-making flexibility they provide. When you've learned a particular shot with one club, you've learned it with them all. Gapping is a non issue, because of the number of different shots you can hit with each club. The are also particularly well-suited to single plane swings, where repeatable setup is ultra important.

I went with a combo of Forged One and Forged Tours. For me its not about one swing for every club, but making my long irons more consistent. After 15 rounds this is my set up after a small tweak with the 4 iron.

Forged One 4-6 & Forged Tour 7-GW.

4 iron I added a half inch to space the gap a little more, plus add height. This move has made the 4 perform perfect for me.

I went with a combo of Forged One and Forged Tours. For me its not about one swing for every club, but making my long irons more consistent. After 15 rounds this is my set up after a small tweak with the 4 iron.

Forged One 4-6 & Forged Tour 7-GW.

4 iron I added a half inch to space the gap a little more, plus add height. This move has made the 4 perform perfect for me.

I did the same thing...ordered my 4 iron a half inch longer plus a degree upright. Not enough difference in setup that I notice the difference but helped ball flight and gave me a few extra yards for gapping.

Anyone try a divided one-length set? Something like:

4-5-6-7 iron at 37.50 inches (or whatever) with higher laughing shaft.

8-9-P-G iron at 36.50 inches (or whatever) with lower launching shaft.

You would have a larger gap between the 7 and 8 iron but it would solve some of the trajectory and comfort issues at the top and bottom ends of the bag.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

You would have a larger gap between the 7 and 8 iron but it would solve some of the trajectory and comfort issues at the top and bottom ends of the bag.

I expected to do something like this, but I haven't found it necessary. I like the performance of the single-length short irons. The only change I would have made if I had thought about it would have been to soft shaft the 4 and, maybe, 5 irons.

My set make up is

5-8 @ 8 iron length

w/ Modus 3 120 shafts

I want to try this as well.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I honestly didn't see the trajectory issues that some folks have, but I tend to hit the ball on the high side anyway. The comfort level issue goes away pretty quickly. If things feel too long at first you can always grip down a bit and work your way back up the shaft as you get more comfortable.

Glad the weather is getting better here so I can start playing full rounds for handicap scores. That will be the real test of these clubs. Hoping to get my 7 down to a 4 or 5 this summer. It's been on a steady climb the last few years.

Can anyone with photoshop skills do a better job of this idea? It would maybe be cool if they would have grayed out this area... a cleaner look perhaps.

Yes, better. The F7s are FUGLY.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

They may not win a beauty contest but they sure do work.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield