2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

I found a great deal on a set of the Cobra Forged OL irons so I pulled the trigger. Tried them at PGATSS a while back and was really intrigued. Sadly no demo days around here so this will be a true experiment to see how they stack up against my gamers (Srixon Z 765). I'm a big fan of Cobra and I think what they've been doing over the last few years has been solid.

Initial impressions are pretty positive. Standing over that 4-iron feels so good! Can't wait to get out on the range with these tonight and give them a go.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very interested in the one length concept for the following reason and I'd be interested in anyone who has been using them for a while could comment..

I currently play the Taylormade rsi2 irons. I play the GW down to 8i very strongly and then from 7i down my consistency of strike and accuracy drops off dramatically! I've been trying to understand the reasons for this and one possiblity is that I've a fairly large garden which lets me hit hundreds of PW and GW per week but no room for anything longer, could this be why I'm so grooved with the shorter irons but struggle transitioning to the longer irons? Anyway my question for you all is have you noticed firstly if the longer GW-8i are as easy to hit as standard lengths and secondly does the fact that all the clubs are the same length mean that you get better strikes with your 7i down simply because you are more used to swinging that length of shaft?

If I'm hitting hundreds of balls per week with a single length GW and PW should this help me strike all my irons more consistently?

Thanks..

I'm very interested in the one length concept for the following reason and I'd be interested in anyone who has been using them for a while could comment..

I currently play the Taylormade rsi2 irons. I play the GW down to 8i very strongly and then from 7i down my consistency of strike and accuracy drops off dramatically! I've been trying to understand the reasons for this and one possiblity is that I've a fairly large garden which lets me hit hundreds of PW and GW per week but no room for anything longer, could this be why I'm so grooved with the shorter irons but struggle transitioning to the longer irons? Anyway my question for you all is have you noticed firstly if the longer GW-8i are as easy to hit as standard lengths and secondly does the fact that all the clubs are the same length mean that you get better strikes with your 7i down simply because you are more used to swinging that length of shaft?

If I'm hitting hundreds of balls per week with a single length GW and PW should this help me strike all my irons more consistently?

Thanks..

Yes, when practicing strike with PW, GW, SW and LW you will automatically improve strike with all you SL irons since they are all the same length and weight and you should play all the irons with the same ball position.

My reason for wanting to try these is not because they will magically lower my score, it is because of my mishits. I have troubles transitioning to different length shafts. I hate swinging a driver, but I do. If I miss on an iron it is either fat or thin. I have no problem hitting center or close to the center. My body just does not like adapting to the different lengths. Not sure if other taller golfers feel the same, but for me, I would rather have one length to worry about..

I may or may not go through the fitting process. I know my lie, but it may be worth going through again. I do want to test shorter driver shafts, so that fitting will be a must..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Now if they could only get Deschambeaux to make some cuts :slow_en:

I've read that sales have exceeded expectations by up to 300%. While I'm sure this number is exaggerated, what does this mean for Cobra's one length future? Is it the kind of club that warrants a yearly realease?

I think the true measure of long term viability will be how flooded the secondhand online marketplace becomes in the fall.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

At least not with a side straddled putter, lol.

These are silly, have to have the mind set of bryson to play these. No one has the same approach to golf as he does.

nor should they.

Sorry, but wrong. I use these clubs and I love them. I haven't had iron performance like this in as long as I can remember.

whether you play single length irons or not, i am simply stating that no one should try to mirror Brysons approach to the game.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I've had mine for two months and now have both the F7 and forged one length. Absolutely see no reason to go back to variable length.

The gap in distances was easily tackled with the forged. We bent the 4i 2 degrees stronger and the 5i one degree. Zero issues now except once in a blue moon instead of 205 with the 4 I get 210 :-)

The biggest and most important swing thought for me is "use a 9-10 o'clock backswing with all" during the fitting the 4-6 irons were more like 11-12 o'clock. The fitter recorded a few and it was easily noticed. As soon as I changed it, it became automatic.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - HZRDUS Blue 6.0 60g

3W Cobra LTDx 15* - Aldila Ascent 6.0 60g

DI - NLU 18* - MMT 105g Stiff

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - MMT 105g stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

i tried them and was slightly impressed. better than i thought they would be. Still i would stick with a classic set up.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 1 month later...

Please forgive me duplicating what I wrote in another post, but thought this would be useful to someone searching these specific clubs.

One driving range session so far for me. Cobra F7 Ones. Stock everything, graphite regular. Impressions:

Man, these things launch the ball HIGH. Even the 5 iron is really high, contrary to some reviews I've read.

Extremely easy to swing. In fact, seemed to respond best to smooth tempos. I have never hit anything easier to launch.

Capable of picking up some distance if I go after it with these, but not really what I bought them for. Really looking for consistency and accuracy.

There is definitely, as others have said, a learning curve with these.

DEFINITELY more consistent contact. Ball marks on the faces are all in one place. Very pleased.

Like the looks much more in person than on web.

Heads are smaller than I expected, but don't want to go the Max version, as my usual miss is a hook.

I've had mine for two months and now have both the F7 and forged one length. Absolutely see no reason to go back to variable length.

The gap in distances was easily tackled with the forged. We bent the 4i 2 degrees stronger and the 5i one degree. Zero issues now except once in a blue moon instead of 205 with the 4 I get 210 :-)

The biggest and most important swing thought for me is "use a 9-10 o'clock backswing with all" during the fitting the 4-6 irons were more like 11-12 o'clock. The fitter recorded a few and it was easily noticed. As soon as I changed it, it became automatic.

Let me see if I understand. You are a 16 handicap who hits a 37" 4 iron 210 yards. You have "zero issues except once in a blue moon" with your 4 iron, and the only issue is that you hit it too good. You four iron is delofted two degrees, which means you are able to hit a club as long as seven iron with only 19* of loft consistently over two hundred yards. Going to SL has made you so good that you can do things tour pros can only dream about (the best player on tour last year with a 19* club was Robert Garrigus, with dispersion of 41 feet, 3 inches, which is very large). Further, your irons are now "automatic" due to both going to SL and shortening your backswing approximately 1 1/2" (Assuming you are about 6'). What's it like having automatic irons? Do your buddies even actually make you hit the shots anymore?

I want to make sure I understand exactly what you are claiming here, because to be frank I'd have less of a "Whaaaaaaaaaaat?" reaction if you told me you went to Mars to get fitted. Am I reading your post correctly?

EDIT

If you got a SureOut wedge, a beat-up Scotty, a high loft driver, and a 2 hybrid instead of a 3 wood you'd be unbeatable with the SLs. You'd be an unstoppable WRX Voltron.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Let me see if I understand. You are a 16 handicap who hits a 37" 4 iron 210 yards. You have "zero issues except once in a blue moon" with your 4 iron, and the only issue is that you hit it too good. You four iron is delofted two degrees, which means you are able to hit a club as long as seven iron with only 19* of loft consistently over two hundred yards. Going to SL has made you so good that you can do things tour pros can only dream about (the best player on tour last year with a 19* club was Robert Garrigus, with dispersion of 41 feet, 3 inches, which is very large). Further, your irons are now "automatic" due to both going to SL and shortening your backswing approximately 1 1/2" (Assuming you are about 6'). What's it like having automatic irons? Do your buddies even actually make you hit the shots anymore?

I want to make sure I understand exactly what you are claiming here, because to be frank I'd have less of a "Whaaaaaaaaaaat?" reaction if you told me you went to Mars to get fitted. Am I reading your post correctly?

EDIT

If you got a SureOut wedge, a beat-up Scotty, a high loft driver, and a 2 hybrid instead of a 3 wood you'd be unbeatable with the SLs. You'd be an unstoppable WRX Voltron.

Honestly, why do you feel the need to attack someone like this over a two month old equipment post?

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

EDIT

Honestly, why do you feel the need to attack someone like this over a two month old equipment post?

I asked him if what he wrote is actually what he is claiming. He can clarify if I misread something. Other mid-caps thinking about dropping serious change on SL irons might read that and think it has merit or a basis in reality.

The thread is asking for feedback on Cobra SLs. His feedback is misleading at best (unless I missed something, which is possible, and why I asked if I was understanding his post correctly).

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

FWIW, I also routinely hit the 4-iron 210.

Totally reasonable. I'm not even out and out saying he's full of it - I suspect it, but its possible SLs were that good for him I suppose. Just wanted to make sure I was reading his post right. This is a review thread - I use these threads to decide on new golf equipment all the time. If a 16 cap now hits a 19* club perfectly "except once in a blue moon" he hits it too good and the 16 caps irons are now "automatic", I might have to try some Cobra SLs - I could use some irons that can go on autopilot. I think he might be exaggerating just a touch though.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

EDIT

I asked him if what he wrote is actually what he is claiming. He can clarify if I misread something. Other mid-caps thinking about dropping serious change on SL irons might read that and think it has merit or a basis in reality.

The thread is asking for feedback on Cobra SLs. His feedback is misleading at best (unless I missed something, which is possible, and why I asked if I was understanding his post correctly).

I read artica's post to say that bending the 4 & 5 irons solving the gapping problem. Everything I've read about SL irons suggests everyone might do with a bit of tinkering to maximize their results. Furthermore that he was overswinging with the 4-6 irons, compared to the rest, which could be another common problem with the SL. He wasn't claiming to be Robert Garrigus, necessarily, just that the adjustment in feel was automatic.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

After spraining my back, and with the encouragement of my new instructor, I went out last week and played a round with my old variable length set. I was never so miserable on a golf course than I was that day. I was all over the place. I literally had nothing. By the end of the round, I was just hitting 7-irons and SWs over and over, no matter the length of the shot. It was all I could do. When I got home, I pulled all the grips off so I'd never be tempted to use them again. It's back to the Cobras for me...forever.

I've gone down 1 on the hci and went down 10 on the back pain index.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Totally reasonable. I'm not even out and out saying he's full of it - I suspect it, but its possible SLs were that good for him I suppose. Just wanted to make sure I was reading his post right. This is a review thread - I use these threads to decide on new golf equipment all the time. If a 16 cap now hits a 19* club perfectly "except once in a blue moon" he hits it too good and the 16 caps irons are now "automatic", I might have to try some Cobra SLs - I could use some irons that can go on autopilot. I think he might be exaggerating just a touch though.

If one has a swing speed over 90 mph it is possible to hit a 19 degree iron 210 yards.

You've never tried the SL clubs?

It's just Pinestreet being Pinestreet.. if I recall he usually gets involved in all the SL threads to dispute anyone's claims of improvement as it relates to moving into SL irons.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

As far as distance claims:

PGA yardages ruin ams perception.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1528116-PGA-yardages-ruin-ams-perception.

Pinestreet might be right. I like SLs but it is normal to question a 16 hcper saying he hits the 4 iron 210 yards mostly perfect on line most of the time. That seems to be the question I gather.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

It's just Pinestreet being Pinestreet.. if I recall he usually gets involved in all the SL threads to dispute anyone's claims of improvement as it relates to moving into SL irons.

Absolutely not. I've said in almost every thread that SL can be a huge help to a golfer with a high swing speed that struggles with center face contact in the low irons. I've also pointed out that there is a huge danger of confirmation bias because SL works best from repeated perfect lies (if you were going to design a perfect set for a driving range, it would be SL).

I have also said that the essence of golf is shotmaking, and that the only difference academic studies have found between low caps and high caps is a lack of technical thoughts in low caps. High caps tend to have this idea that if they can hit it high and straight every time they'll shoot lower scores, and that is (usually) wrong. SL doesn't help you if your aim stinks, for example.

SL is a fine tool for golfers who have the swing speed to get the low irons airborne. It's not a "revolution" and you still need solid mechanics and course management, which most high caps don't have. I don't believe claims of massive improvement that arnt quantified or that are ridiculous (see the post above mine).

I think people want a shortcut to good ballstriking so badly they'll believe anything. SL is great for some but for most they look great on the range and the scores don't budge.

But yes, i did question the gentleman who is a 16 cap who is consistently hitting a 37" 19* club 210 yards. That I did do.

Edit

There is an SL thread going on right now where someone is claiming half the tour will be using them inside three years. I have no issue with I'm hitting more greens and so forth, but some of the SL advocates are a bit over the top.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Well, I bought Sl irons and practiced with them in Florida over the winter. I have been tracking my scores all summer back in the midwest. My average score this year is 9.3 strokes better than last year. My worst round this year was below my average for last year.

I play on a very hilly course. The front 9 was built in 1925 and the back in 1974. There are very few level lies on the course.

My driver swing speed is between 95 and 100 mph, so I'm not exactly a high swing speed player.

Well, I bought Sl irons and practiced with them in Florida over the winter. I have been tracking my scores all summer back in the midwest. My average score this year is 9.3 strokes better than last year. My worst round this year was below my average for last year.

I play on a very hilly course. The front 9 was built in 1925 and the back in 1974. There are very few level lies on the course.

My driver swing speed is between 95 and 100 mph, so I'm not exactly a high swing speed player.

Did you practice with VL irons in Florida the winter before?

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Yes.

Ah, so we are now in year 2 of ballstriking practice then. Do you think two years of practice would have lowered your scores more than one, regardless of SL/VL?

So you cut 9.3 strokes solely due to improved iron play? You are driving identically? Putting identically?

9.3 solely due to irons is a huge number. It's not impossible, but it's improbable. On average someone who breaks 90 versus someone who breaks 80, 6 strokes is due to iron play, so 9.3 is really, really good. Congrats on the improvement!

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

You've never tried the SL clubs?

Missed this. I've tried SL, but not the Cobras. I play SL in my four wedges (all are 36", 64* lie, 320g head D4, s400 tour issue). I tried Pinhawks. I couldn't hit the low irons very well. I move every ball I swing at left to right basically, and I felt very odd working a ball a 5 iron distance with a 7 in my hand. It wasn't good. The shorter clubs (where I hit them straight and I want 730 and 930 backswings) I found SL very effective. I like the idea of SL for sure. Its certainly not worse. I just don't believe it turns bad ballstrikers into good ones for the most part. I don't believe there is a magic line at 37' where all these SL users can get their weight left and square their clubface.

i *DO* believe it can be revolutionary better in a few, and slightly better in a lot more, and I believe its worse in very few. As I've posted a whole lot, my main issue with them is psychological. As long as you can avoid the temptation to hit every shot the same, I think they're fine. I think they encourage people to play golf swing and not golf. Just IMO though.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Oh Pinestreet, you really do stretch things, don't you. I'm not in year two of "ballstiking practice then." I'm in year 6 or seven. Each winter I go to Florida. I practice there and then play in the midwest. So your conclusion that my major improvement is because I have two years instead of one is wrong.

Also, no where did I say the improvement was only due to going to SL irons. But that is the only significant change to equipment made from the previous year. I am hitting my driver better. Part of my driver improvement, however, is because I have more time to practice it with the shift to Sl irons. I no longer have to go through the bag practicing different length irons. I think that going to SL irons has improved my ball striking through out the bag.

As for playing on uneven lies: You seem to have a real bug about this. What you don't seem to understand is that it is easier to hit the Sl off uneven lies than it is to hit VL irons. The reason is pretty simple if you actually think about it. When adjusting to the slope, there is only one adjustment to make--adjust for the slope. With VL, you have to adjust to the slope and to the length of the club. One adjustment is easier than two. Same for hitting a draw or fade or punch shot. You eliminate one adjustment on each shot--adjusting for the length of the iron.

Oh Pinestreet, you really do stretch things, don't you. I'm not in year two of "ballstiking practice then." I'm in year 6 or seven. Each winter I go to Florida. I practice there and then play in the midwest. So your conclusion that my major improvement is because I have two years instead of one is wrong.

Also, no where did I say the improvement was only due to going to SL irons. But that is the only significant change to equipment made from the previous year. I am hitting my driver better. Part of my driver improvement, however, is because I have more time to practice it with the shift to Sl irons. I no longer have to go through the bag practicing different length irons. I think that going to SL irons has improved my ball striking through out the bag.

As for playing on uneven lies: You seem to have a real bug about this. What you don't seem to understand is that it is easier to hit the Sl off uneven lies than it is to hit VL irons. The reason is pretty simple if you actually think about it. When adjusting to the slope, there is only one adjustment to make--adjust for the slope. With VL, you have to adjust to the slope and to the length of the club. One adjustment is easier than two. Same for hitting a draw or fade or punch shot. You eliminate one adjustment on each shot--adjusting for the length of the iron.

Adjusting for the length of the slope is adjusting for the length of the iron. If the iron length is constant, you are adjusting for the slope. If the iron length is not constant, you are adjusting for a different slope. Slope is the distance between your hands on the grip and the ball adjusting for the angle formed by the ball and your hands and the ball and your feet. In other words, its a triangle. Slope is the variable. It is irrelevant if the club is the same length because slope is always different. Introducing a second variable into it makes no difference whatsoever.

"The ball is 10 inches above my feet. My club is 37" because I play SL. The slope is X"

"The ball is 15 inches above my feet. My club is 37" because I play SL. The slope is Y"

"The ball is 20 inches above my feet. My club is 38.5" because I play VL. The slope is Z"

Every single time you adjust fora different slope with SL, because club length being standard only matters if its the exact same slope every single time. That's geometry. Your not 'removing a variable' at all. The essence of a sidehill (or downhill, or uphill) lie is adjusting for the distance the ball is from your body. Standardizing your club length only matters in that context if the sidehill/uphill/downhill are always exactly the same (if your sidehill lies were always 5.55* above your feet, you'd be right. If one is 3* above your feet and another 8*, having an SL club is irrelevant - the functional club lengths of those two are completely different).

I don't have a problem with SL, just the (usually) incredibly condescending posts of a select few SL users who can't understand why everyone doesn't play them. They're exactly the same as VL from a sidehill lie unless every single sidehil lie you play has the same angle between your feet and the ball and your hands and the ball (its a triangle, so if two sides are variable, one side being consistent (the iron) doesn't matter).

Congrats on your improvement. 9.3 strokes in one year is freaking awesome. I wish you the best with your SLs going forward.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S