2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

Thinking of taking the plunge to SL and getting some F7s. I have a question about the standard length of 37.25". Seems like I read somewhere when looking at reviews that they actually measured at 37" and was wondering if someone could verify. Maybe Cobra measures a little different or something. Just curious. Thanks

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of taking the plunge to SL and getting some F7s. I have a question about the standard length of 37.25". Seems like I read somewhere when looking at reviews that they actually measured at 37" and was wondering if someone could verify. Maybe Cobra measures a little different or something. Just curious. Thanks

Interesting question. I ordered mine 1/2" long with TTDG-S300 shafts, and I'm pretty sure the ungripped length came in at 37.5". So, with a grip they would have measured 37.625". I ended up cutting them down to get the swing weight right. By the time I got done, the ungripped length ended up at 37.0".

What's "normal"? The head weight suggests that the clubs ought to sit half-way between a 7- and 8-iron. But, the stock set has a real light shaft (109g), which suggests that they'd be happier a little longer. Personally, I think that if I had it to do all over again, I would have stuck with their standard shaft and run them up to 37.5". At 37.0", my set ended up a little short.

Currently own both sets, F7 and Forged, and prefer the F7's at the moment. The F7's were reshafted with Steelfiber i110 X's at 37.5" tipped to a 7 iron shaft. The Forged have the KBS stock shaft in X at 37.75" and they feel awful. Not so much the head but the shaft, Cobra uses variable flex shafts in the Forged model and it is extremely noticeable compared to the F7's constant flex. Although, there is a pronounced difference in feel between the long irons and short irons. Short irons feel much harsher. The Forged set will be reshafted soon.

I'm a + handicap and these clubs have simplified the game a great deal. Practice time is so much more efficient and I have been able to feel things in my swing that I never felt before. Since the first day trying them (even with shafts that were way too soft) I have not even thought about putting my old clubs back in the bag.

I also have the 56* and 60* wedges now and they are great too!

A couple of things you quickly realize using single length clubs.

- Head weight has a much larger role in club length then lie angle

- The incremental change in length of the club has almost no bearing on how far you will hit it! I'm hitting every club further when matching loft

- Over a few weeks, your swing becomes very efficient at using one motion and personally I have picked up considerable distance gains for the same loft compared to variable length clubs

- Small changes in shaft weight and length changes can have substantial impact on performance ie.. 10 gram change in shaft and/or 1/8" change in length

- Accuracy improves with every club

- The ball really wants to go straight! a bit more focus/commitment needed on working the ball left and right

- I did make a small swing change to more of a one plane type of swing, wasn't so much a conscious decision but I now have much less wrist action/break at the top of the backswing then before. Swing has also become ever so slightly shorter

After 35 years of playing this game at every level these clubs have totally changed how I look at clubs, my swing, practice time, club set ups, scoring opportunities, etc. I rarely if at all put game changer out there but these clubs have been by far the biggest game changer for me in all of my time golfing!

Currently own both sets, F7 and Forged, and prefer the F7's at the moment. The F7's were reshafted with Steelfiber i110 X's at 37.5" tipped to a 7 iron shaft. The Forged have the KBS stock shaft in X at 37.75" and they feel awful. Not so much the head but the shaft, Cobra uses variable flex shafts in the Forged model and it is extremely noticeable compared to the F7's constant flex. Although, there is a pronounced difference in feel between the long irons and short irons. Short irons feel much harsher. The Forged set will be reshafted soon.

I'm a + handicap and these clubs have simplified the game a great deal. Practice time is so much more efficient and I have been able to feel things in my swing that I never felt before. Since the first day trying them (even with shafts that were way too soft) I have not even thought about putting my old clubs back in the bag.

I also have the 56* and 60* wedges now and they are great too!

A couple of things you quickly realize using single length clubs.

- Head weight has a much larger role in club length then lie angle

- The incremental change in length of the club has almost no bearing on how far you will hit it! I'm hitting every club further when matching loft

- Over a few weeks, your swing becomes very efficient at using one motion and personally I have picked up considerable distance gains for the same loft compared to variable length clubs

- Small changes in shaft weight and length changes can have substantial impact on performance ie.. 10 gram change in shaft and/or 1/8" change in length

- Accuracy improves with every club

- The ball really wants to go straight! a bit more focus/commitment needed on working the ball left and right

- I did make a small swing change to more of a one plane type of swing, wasn't so much a conscious decision but I now have much less wrist action/break at the top of the backswing then before. Swing has also become ever so slightly shorter

After 35 years of playing this game at every level these clubs have totally changed how I look at clubs, my swing, practice time, club set ups, scoring opportunities, etc. I rarely if at all put game changer out there but these clubs have been by far the biggest game changer for me in all of my time golfing!

My parents live in Naples, so play there quite often! Do you ever play Windstar? An easy track, but a fun one.

You mentioned you are a plus cap and these clubs allow you to pick up distance. That is interesting to me. Usually, SL gives more distance because the ball gets hit in the center more so the loss of clubhead speed is offset by a gain in ballspeed. Since your a plus I would assume you hit VL in the center quite often. What do you think accounts for your increase in distance?

How has SL effected your scoring average? As a plus, it had to be pretty good before SL. I know Naples has some insanely difficult tracks and I've played them so it doesn't necessarily need to be under par to get a plus cap but probably close. Are you shooting -3.-4 on a regular basis since before the switch? What were you shooting before and what are you shooting now?

I'm always interested in better players switching to SL and drastically improving.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

My parents live in Naples, so play there quite often! Do you ever play Windstar? An easy track, but a fun one.

You mentioned you are a plus cap and these clubs allow you to pick up distance. That is interesting to me. Usually, SL gives more distance because the ball gets hit in the center more so the loss of clubhead speed is offset by a gain in ballspeed. Since your a plus I would assume you hit VL in the center quite often. What do you think accounts for your increase in distance?

How has SL effected your scoring average? As a plus, it had to be pretty good before SL. I know Naples has some insanely difficult tracks and I've played them so it doesn't necessarily need to be under par to get a plus cap but probably close. Are you shooting -3.-4 on a regular basis since before the switch? What were you shooting before and what are you shooting now?

I'm always interested in better players switching to SL and drastically improving.

Have played Windstar numerous times. Fun track.

The F7's are strong lofted in the longer irons so that would be the easy answer. However, take for instance the gap wedge, 50* loft is the same as my old 50* wedge, picked up 7-8 yards. It didn't happen at first but over time, 4-6 weeks, every club has become 7-10 yards longer. I attribute it to better swing efficiency.

There is no loss of club head speed by using a slightly shorter shaft. You may even go up in swing speed! The shorter shaft in the longer irons takes some getting used to but just hit it like you were hitting a high 7 iron, like having to clear a tree. I have had no loss of distance at all, even from the first day! You definitely swing a 5 iron faster then a PW, even when using the same length. There is about 30 grams more weight in the long irons and that added weight will produce higher ball speeds IF you can maintain swing speed

My last 3 scores have been 67, 69 & 71. The 67 was about as stress free as could be. The 69 I had 5 hard lip outs and 2 putts from inside 5' not touch the hole, could have been a great round! The 71 was yesterday and I hit 16 greens. Made 3 putts all day, everything else was a tap in and 3 putted a par 5 for par. 14 of the 16 GIR's had reasonable birdie putts. Bulky putter is killing me right now!!!! I wouldn't say my handicap has dropped much as of yet just too soon to see a trend since only playing them since beginning of July, but the scores I have been shooting the last few weeks have been easier/less stressful for sure. I've also played these clubs at a few courses around town and they are working just as well when not on my home courses. Honestly, it's quite hard to see big changes in handicap once you are a + handicap. You need some significantly lower scores like multiple 66, 67, 68's before the handicap will noticeably drop.

My club just hosted the Florida Senior Open and has had numerous US Am, US Open and US Women's Open qualifiers. Not the toughest tracks in town by a long shot but solid tests of golf for sure. Almost 7,000 yards in wet humid Florida summer conditions is not something for the faint of heart! Almost no roll on drives and the front of every green will stop a ball dead. Is it Calusa or the Eagle course at Twin Eagles(7,600 par 71!)?, absolutely not, but not many courses anywhere are! That Eagle course is a bruiser, 7,600 plays like 8,600! Not a single hole with any let up! And there's a reason Calusa is ranked as one of the best courses in the country!

Have played Windstar numerous times. Fun track.

The F7's are strong lofted in the longer irons so that would be the easy answer. However, take for instance the gap wedge, 50* loft is the same as my old 50* wedge, picked up 7-8 yards. It didn't happen at first but over time, 4-6 weeks, every club has become 7-10 yards longer. I attribute it to better swing efficiency.

There is no loss of club head speed by using a slightly shorter shaft. You may even go up in swing speed! The shorter shaft in the longer irons takes some getting used to but just hit it like you were hitting a high 7 iron, like having to clear a tree. I have had no loss of distance at all, even from the first day! You definitely swing a 5 iron faster then a PW, even when using the same length. There is about 30 grams more weight in the long irons and that added weight will produce higher ball speeds IF you can maintain swing speed

My last 3 scores have been 67, 69 & 71. The 67 was about as stress free as could be. The 69 I had 5 hard lip outs and 2 putts from inside 5' not touch the hole, could have been a great round! The 71 was yesterday and I hit 16 greens. Made 3 putts all day, everything else was a tap in and 3 putted a par 5 for par. 14 of the 16 GIR's had reasonable birdie putts. Bulky putter is killing me right now!!!! I wouldn't say my handicap has dropped much as of yet just too soon to see a trend since only playing them since beginning of July, but the scores I have been shooting the last few weeks have been easier/less stressful for sure. I've also played these clubs at a few courses around town and they are working just as well when not on my home courses. Honestly, it's quite hard to see big changes in handicap once you are a + handicap. You need some significantly lower scores like multiple 66, 67, 68's before the handicap will noticeably drop.

My club just hosted the Florida Senior Open and has had numerous US Am, US Open and US Women's Open qualifiers. Not the toughest tracks in town by a long shot but solid tests of golf for sure. Almost 7,000 yards in wet humid Florida summer conditions is not something for the faint of heart! Almost no roll on drives and the front of every green will stop a ball dead. Is it Calusa or the Eagle course at Twin Eagles(7,600 par 71!)?, absolutely not, but not many courses anywhere are! That Eagle course is a bruiser, 7,600 plays like 8,600! Not a single hole with any let up! And there's a reason Calusa is ranked as one of the best courses in the country!

What made you want to try SL? Why did you choose Cobra over any of the other options? Did you get fit? If so, where? Was it somewhere in Naples? PGATSS?

Sorry for all the questions. Going to be in Naples fairly often so this is pretty interesting to me, and I know a whole lot of the courses there and they are not easy (for the most part).

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

What made you want to try SL? Why did you choose Cobra over any of the other options? Did you get fit? If so, where? Was it somewhere in Naples? PGATSS?

Sorry for all the questions. Going to be in Naples fairly often so this is pretty interesting to me, and I know a whole lot of the courses there and they are not easy (for the most part).

I am 6' 4" and have been on something of a club lengthening/fitting for awhile. Read here: http://www.golfwrx.c...onceived-ideas/

And honestly the idea of being able to build a very small incremental length set, like 1/8" gaps, using single length/constant weight heads had been on my mind for a long time. Found a used set that didn't have a mark on them for $400. Price was right so they came home. Before pulling shafts decided to throw them in the bag for a round or two just to see if I liked them. Well it was better then anything I could have expected. Sure the 'R' flex shafts were too soft and Cobra includes the grip cap as part of the 37 1/4", all of my measurements are without the grip, but the damn things worked so well. They got really good once they were reshafted with the Steelfibers. Forged set was brand new on eBay for $475 so scooped those up. Wedges I ordered from my local shop and then picked up a second sand wedge head only off of eBay. So there are 3 total.

I was already playing my lob and gap wedges at 37 1/4" so 37 1/2" was literally shorter for every club but those two!

Getting fit for SL clubs I believe is much easier and much more exacting depending on your level of understanding of your game, swing and how the clubs can effect each.

When I reshaft the Forged set I will likely build them with 1/8" gaps and 2 gram increments in tip weights. Something like this:

5 iron 270 grams 38"

6 iron 272 grams 37 7/8"

7 iron 274 grams 37 3/4"

8 iron 276 grams 37 5/8"

9 iron 278 grams 37 1/2

P Iron 280 grams 37 3/8"

G iron 282 grams 37 1/4"

The fact is you just swing harder and faster with a 5 iron then a PW and that little bit of extra length really makes a difference, but is so small not to change the swing much. (I've already been experimenting and didn't see any drop in all of the benefits that have been gained)

rybo -- As a former clubmaker, I took great interest in the post you referenced above, though I didn't comment in that thread. I'm 6'3", myself, and I have fought the length battle for over 50 years. The numbers you cite are very consistent with what I have arrived at for myself following pretty much the same methodology.

Rybo, thanks for the comments. As a higher handicapper (15), I've been using Project X rifle-flighted (5.0, ~115 gms) and have been perplexed about shorter clubs and the Single Length (SL) setup because of my own ability to hit my shorter clubs more solidly and accurately (7i, 8i, 9i, PW). In contemplating a new set, I've also been thinking about various shafts and what impact they may have.... my current rifle-flighted's where the shorter clubs are more stout and heavier than the longer clubs (forgot whether that is ascending or descending weight strategy), supposedly, the lighter shaft on the 3i allows you to launch it higher, whereas the heavier shaft on the PW side doesn't need the higher launch but lets the loft do the work. On the irons, I'm convinced that I also don't 'feel' the long irons the same as I do the shorter irons (because of this heavier shaft in the shorter irons?) and I am starting to think I'd like something heavier on the long iron side that will allow me to put some force behind the ball. Now I'm intrigued by your indication that the long irons are 30-gms heavier....are you saying they are heavier than analogous/typical VL long irons, or heavier than the shorter irons in the same SL setup? Everything I'm reading from players comments, including your own, have me thinking I would like to try a SL setup (and be fitted for SL should I get one). At my handicap, I'm not worried about something affecting my stroke/scoring average, not worried about loss of 3-5 yards, but I am interested in hitting my longer irons more consistently on target than I currently am, lol (8-iron on down from 130 yards, I'm downright fantastic :-). I've had several iron sets I change out during the year, i.e., lighter 95-gm shafts, and even though I didn't score noticeably worse, I just didn't like them, they feel too light like I can't feel the club during the swing.

There is about 30 grams more weight in the long irons and that added weight will produce higher ball speeds IF you can maintain swing speed

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I am a high single figure golfer and my Iron play has always been the weakest part of my game especially the 5 and 6 irons. Having played to a UK 7 handicap for the last 3 years with no improvement my best round of 72 (+1) with my handicap slowly creaping back upto 8 (7.6) this year.

In May I was fed up with my game and purchased the F7 one length irons on a whim without testing or getting fitted and since then I have been playing the best golf I have ever played. I have shot level par a few times and even 1 under par (first time ever breaking par) with these irons. My handicap is now 6.3 after 2 1/2 months and I feel like at this rate I may even be able to get down to 5 before the end of the year, which I never thought would have been capable before.

I play 5-GW and I even have the SW but I alternate that between the one length and my Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54. I purchased the 60 deg one length, however I think I prefer my Callaway 58 for the lob wedge for feel.

Rybo, thanks for the comments. As a higher handicapper (15), I've been using Project X rifle-flighted (5.0, ~115 gms) and have been perplexed about shorter clubs and the Single Length (SL) setup because of my own ability to hit my shorter clubs more solidly and accurately (7i, 8i, 9i, PW). In contemplating a new set, I've also been thinking about various shafts and what impact they may have.... my current rifle-flighted's where the shorter clubs are more stout and heavier than the longer clubs (forgot whether that is ascending or descending weight strategy), supposedly, the lighter shaft on the 3i allows you to launch it higher, whereas the heavier shaft on the PW side doesn't need the higher launch but lets the loft do the work. On the irons, I'm convinced that I also don't 'feel' the long irons the same as I do the shorter irons (because of this heavier shaft in the shorter irons?) and I am starting to think I'd like something heavier on the long iron side that will allow me to put some force behind the ball. Now I'm intrigued by your indication that the long irons are 30-gms heavier....are you saying they are heavier than analogous/typical VL long irons, or heavier than the shorter irons in the same SL setup? Everything I'm reading from players comments, including your own, have me thinking I would like to try a SL setup (and be fitted for SL should I get one). At my handicap, I'm not worried about something affecting my stroke/scoring average, not worried about loss of 3-5 yards, but I am interested in hitting my longer irons more consistently on target than I currently am, lol (8-iron on down from 130 yards, I'm downright fantastic :-). I've had several iron sets I change out during the year, i.e., lighter 95-gm shafts, and even though I didn't score noticeably worse, I just didn't like them, they feel too light like I can't feel the club during the swing.

There is about 30 grams more weight in the long irons and that added weight will produce higher ball speeds IF you can maintain swing speed

I am speaking in relation to a variable length set. Typical 4 iron is 247g and 5 iron is 254g.

The Cobras I have have been ranging between 270-273 grams. And I've been adding a few grams in tip weights to get up to 278g, I use oversized grips so need to get swingweight back up.

everyone is different but my opinion is that it is better to have diferent lengths because normal players have different swings for every club.. more steep with the short irons and more shallow with the long ones

Golfers have different swings for each club because the different lengths require different swings. The length of the clubs are dictating the swings used.

Using single length clubs (or something very close to it) removes the need to have different swings.

However along your lines of thinking I am going to vary the length just a little bit on the next set as I have used 1/8" gaps in the past and thought it was the best feeling set from club to club I have used. The overall change in length from shortest to longest is so small that it still feels and performs like single length clubs.

Just read all 10 pages of this post which I had not read before I started posting. Some of the misconceptions by people who have limited experience is not surprising but to say SL doesn't work is simply insane. There is nothing sacred about how a club is built, and/or only one way to do something. The most modified sets of clubs are on tour!

Pinestreet - next time you come to Naples we need to play. Consider this an open invitation!

Cobras Forged One Length - I really like them! Picked up a used set 6-GW from a guy on WRX and have three rounds in so far. Shafts are C-Taper Lite in R-Flex and length is 37" through the set. Lofts are pretty strong compared with the set I've been using (Mizuno MP-H4 on Matrix Program F15 120s) PW is 45 vs 47, 6i is 29 vs a 28° 5i in the Mizunos.

It's weird looking down at a 37" club with a 6 on the sole and expecting normal 5i distance but that's what I'm getting, or close to it. Ballflight is lower but my 5i was a 170 club and this one seems to go 167 without any special effort. Very easy to hit a high cut which is hop and stop at the cost of 10 yards but the stock draw isn't going to stop quickly, so I may need something between that club and my 23° hybrid.

It's even weirder looking down at a 37° club and expecting to hit a soft chip with it but the 50° GW is an excellent chipping club. On normal swings it flies VERY high but the yardage is really about the same as with my Ping Tour-W which was my 100 yard club. I can get an extra 5 yards really easily but can also grip down and hit it 85.

You really can use one setup and one swing - I had my doubts but it seems to be true, and there's a tendency to just swing smooth with everything and let the loft/weight do its job.

None of this would matter the feel weren't good but it really is - solid, soft, good feedback and I'm adjusting easily to the first steel shafts I've played in 10 years. Appearance at address is classy and understated. The back design is a little busy but not a significant issue.

The price was low enough that I felt comfortable about putting them on the 'bay if they didn't work out, but honestly I'm more likely to be looking for a home for the Mizunos.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

Just read all 10 pages of this post which I had not read before I started posting. Some of the misconceptions by people who have limited experience is not surprising but to say SL doesn't work is simply insane. There is nothing sacred about how a club is built, and/or only one way to do something. The most modified sets of clubs are on tour!

Pinestreet - next time you come to Naples we need to play. Consider this an open invitation!

For sure! Will likely be the holidays, either T-Giving or Chrismas. Luckily my dad is an avid golfer so I pretty much play every day I am there. I think the courses he plays is Windstar or Grey Oaks, but I could be mis-remembering the second name. Its something like that. He likes Windstar because its fun and not too hard, but the other one we played (I think it was called Grey Oaks) was gorgeous and not easy.

Your comments on SL have been very interesting. I am putting together a SL 5 iron using my favorite graphite shaft and a pinhawk head for some testing. Please keep us and the thread updated on how they (continue) to work for you!

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

• 4 weeks later...

I’m looking at taking the SL plunge to give it a try. I keep seeing posts stressing about “get fit†and not sure I completely understand why. I assume this is meant for those that have never touched a golf club. I mean if you’ve played golf for awhile you know your grip size and you know what shafts you like and you know the lie angle of your 7 iron. After that they either work for you or they don’t.

I didnt custom fit mine, I had been fitted for variable length twice in the last 5 years.

I'm about as average/standard as it gets. I know I'm two degrees flat.

These SL irons helped win me my club championship this year.

I think I posted in here earlier but I hovered near a 5 handicap for many years, would dip into the under par range once or twice a year.

I am 2.3 handicap right now, won my club championship by putting up 2 rounds under par over 3 days in tough tournament conditions.

Sold my backup set, first time I've ever considered that since I was a teenager with no money.

Ended up firing 9 rounds under par this year when I had 6 combined in all of the last 5 years.

These irons arent for everyone, but they added a level of simplicity and consistency to my game that helped transform me as a player. I think I can get to scratch with a little more work next year.

I didnt custom fit mine, I had been fitted for variable length twice in the last 5 years.

I'm about as average/standard as it gets. I know I'm two degrees flat.

These SL irons helped win me my club championship this year.

I think I posted in here earlier but I hovered near a 5 handicap for many years, would dip into the under par range once or twice a year.

I am 2.3 handicap right now, won my club championship by putting up 2 rounds under par over 3 days in tough tournament conditions.

Sold my backup set, first time I've ever considered that since I was a teenager with no money.

Ended up firing 9 rounds under par this year when I had 6 combined in all of the last 5 years.

These irons arent for everyone, but they added a level of simplicity and consistency to my game that helped transform me as a player. I think I can get to scratch with a little more work next year.

That’s what I’m looking for, consistency. Without a lot of time to practice I want to keep it as simple as possible. Going out and playing great one day and shooting 73 then the next week going out and shooting 87 is disheartening. Fitting wise I’m pretty close to standard myself. I’m gonna give them a try eventually, missed out on another great deal on eBay the other day, set 5-G $300.

So I was getting a little frustrated with my 5-PW+GW+SW set of Cobra F7 One, and in true WRX fashion I ho'd up and bought a set of Ping G's 4-PW+UW.

Two rounds now plus a scramble with the Ping G's, and I'm leaning towards staying with the VL clubs. Here are my thoughts:

1. Overall, I feel like my swing is too inconsistent to benefit from the one length concept. Currently at a 20.0 HCP (Down from 22.2 a couple months ago!). I understand this may be a mental thing as it seems counterintuitive to the SL concept.
  2. I was hitting the 5 and 6 iron pretty darn good with the SL set. Admittedly better than I can hit the Ping G's, but not by a lot. 7 iron is the same as it should be, although the Ping is a little more forgiving. Struggling with the Ping 4 iron right now, but haven't had a lot of shots with it. I think this is where the SL irons really shined for me on the longer irons.
  3. Gapping between the 5 and 6 is smaller on the SL set than the Ping G's which seem to have more normal ~10 yard gapping. Was less with SL, but not by much.
  4. Both sets I have a massive gap between 8i and 7i. Hitting the 8i in both sets about 140-145, and the 7i I'm hitting 165-170. Been playing with choking up with the 7i, as my consistency drops when I try to swing easy.
  5. 8, 9, PW, GW, SW in SL were my biggest problem. I struggled with consistency on full swing shots. When I went to the Ping G's, it was night and day. I was a decent short iron player before SL, and I felt like I lost that when I switched to SL. I'm short (5'6") and maybe the longer 7i length clubs were too long, but I just couldn't hit them to save my life for whatever reason. I'm not talking about just the ability to go straight either. I was digging/chunking a lot more with the SL, and now I'm making great contact again with the Ping's. Still spraying a little bit with the Ping's (I'm a high capper after all), but consistently making good solid contact with positive yardage. Not a single chuck or shank in my round yesterday.
  6. I was actually able to chip pretty good with the SL, but pitching was a little more problematic. I don't think this area hurt my scoring as much with SL.

I think overall, I just really like standing closer to the ball with the shorter VL irons. Which is probably why I like standing closer to the ball with the longer SL irons as well.

I've thought about gaming the Cobra 5 & 6, and using Ping G 7-PW+UW, and my CBX 56.12, and Vokey 60.08. I probably won't though, as I would like to recoup the club costs of one set or the other at some point. For now I'm keeping both, as I don't think I have enough of a sample to go one way or the other just yet.

Well,, I grilled out Friday night, with that comes a few beers, and the money I had been saving burned a hole in my pocket. I ordered a set of F7 SL's based off my B'stone DPC 7 iron.

Went with 4-PW, standard length, 1 deg up. I hum and hawed over the shaft, in the end I ordered with the Modus 105x. We shall see. I fit to a stiff shaft, currently have the PX 6.0. I think the flex will be fine, crossing fingers, and I wanted the extra weight over the S.

If anyone is playing this shaft I would love your thoughts..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Well,, I grilled out Friday night, with that comes a few beers, and the money I had been saving burned a hole in my pocket. I ordered a set of F7 SL's based off my B'stone DPC 7 iron.

Went with 4-PW, standard length, 1 deg up. I hum and hawed over the shaft, in the end I ordered with the Modus 105x. We shall see. I fit to a stiff shaft, currently have the PX 6.0. I think the flex will be fine, crossing fingers, and I wanted the extra weight over the S.

If anyone is playing this shaft I would love your thoughts..

Keep us updated on how it goes!

I went with the C-taper lites in order to get a little more launch on my long irons. I do hit the short irons higher, but I also hit them straighter and more solidly so I really don't care about the extra height.

Finally won a set on eBay, paid a little more than I wanted but still a decent deal. Before I revamp my entire wedge setup I’m gonna see how it goes but just curious if I should go standard with my SW and LW.

I went all in with the set 4-LW, I just choke up on the shorter shots. I wanted to commit fully to the idea of one setup/one ball position/one swing from 60 yards to 205.

It took a while. Hard work and patience to get used to a 37.5 inch SW etc. but now I don't see myself going back. I sold my backup set, those who know me would have a heart attack if they heard that LOL.

Keep us updated on how it goes. I know its not for everyone, but if you are open minded and willing to give it a shot it might be the ticket.

I really enjoy the 4-PW but I am struggling a bit with the GW, SW and LW. They tend to go shorter than my regular wedges. I'll give it a few more rounds before I go back to the standard length wedges.

The 4 iron feels like cheating and I have not had any issues with elevating the long irons. I do find I still adjust ball position a small amount.

My set is supposed to arrive Sat. FedEx is in transit. Was hoping that they got on the truck for delivery today, but has not shown that in tracking yet.. I may have to head out to the location this evening. I want them for Sunday..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Just put my F7 SLs in retirement for now. After trying to love these clubs it just not going to happen. The size of the clubface is just not to my eye. Overly large. This does not mean this are bad clubs or that SL doesn't have merit. It just means that my next set will or will not be a SL competitor.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Received my set of F7 Sl's. Standard length, 1 deg up, Modus 105x...

Went to the range today - 2 large buckets worth. The lighter weight was immediately noticeable. My other set has PX 6.0, and years of swing refinement has my speed used to the weight. I could not put a fast or smooth swing on the new F7's. I will say though that the Modus 105x is a fabulous shaft, better feeling compared to the PX, though this was with few good shots. When I was able to put in a good swing, most balls went right. It was frustrating, everything was out of sync.

Will put in more practice and update when I can.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Practice round 2 this morning. Much better. Getting used to the lighter weight and not pushing right as much. I'm not getting the distance yet, still am not swinging free, but the feeling is getting there.

I am still very impressed with the Modus 105, it's a very smooth shaft, no harshness, or not near as boardy feeling as the PX.

I have a tournament on Thursday, still not sure I will feel comfortable enough with them to put them in play. But, I do not want to go back to the heaver set of Bridgestone's.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5