One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

I asked in an earlier post but I'll do it again. For the folks bagging these with the 5 iron being 23*, what's the top of your bag setup? My 4 hybrid is 23* playing at 38.5", so realistically it should be longer, right?

I carry the Cobra 4-iron, which I only use off the tee. Other than that, the only club I carry that's any longer is either a driver or 3W, but not both. The longest club I hit off the deck is a 5-iron. I rarely go for par-3s in two, so fairway woods don't offer me any advantage.

You are correct that a 38.5" 23 degree hybrid should fly a little longer than a 37" 23 degree 5-iron.

Thank you. Sounds a lot like me per you'd post. I usually like laying up to a full wedge on a par 5 unless it's really open!

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so tempted to try and pick up a set of these. I am playing Pinhawk SL's right now and they make the game seem much easier. However the feel is not too great.

Send me a pm if and when you decide to try. My F7 one lengths will up for sale soon (5-PW)

Having a ton of fun with the king forged one length. Don't see myself going back the F7's.

Can you say a bit more about how the forged SLs compare to the F7s?

Far less off set. I'm hitting my normal cut or straight shot with these. And far easier to work. I can spin them more and hit stingers easier.

But they are far less forgiving than the F7's. Fly lower and are about one club shorter.

In terms of feel, I actually prefer the soft feel the F7's produce. They surprisingly feel really really good. The F7's have an awesome hot face. If they had less off set and looked less chunky they would be perfect!

Think of the F7's as a ping G iron but in a chrome like color. The forged one's are almost identical to an AP2.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

I am so tempted to try and pick up a set of these. I am playing Pinhawk SL's right now and they make the game seem much easier. However the feel is not too great.

Send me a pm if and when you decide to try. My F7 one lengths will up for sale soon (5-PW)

Having a ton of fun with the king forged one length. Don't see myself going back the F7's.

Can you say a bit more about how the forged SLs compare to the F7s?

Far less off set. I'm hitting my normal cut or straight shot with these. And far easier to work. I can spin them more and hit stingers easier.

But they are far less forgiving than the F7's. Fly lower and are about one club shorter.

In terms of feel, I actually prefer the soft feel the F7's produce. They surprisingly feel really really good. The F7's have an awesome hot face. If they had less off set and looked less chunky they would be perfect!

Think of the F7's as a ping G iron but in a chrome like color. The forged one's are almost identical to an AP2.

Thanks. I think you're the only person on the forum who has tried both sets, so you're the resident expert. I'm not surprised to hear that the forged irons are a little shorter, but I am surprised to hear that the F7s feel softer. Interesting.

Replaced the GW with a Vokey. Now went back to my RSi1s . I prefer steps in my iron length.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I've got 20 rounds in officially with my one length Cobra's.

Handicap has stayed in the same range. (Between 3 and 5)

But my iron play is crisper and the stats are bearing that out. I'm up to just over 60 percent GIR.

I hit everything below the 8 farther by 7-10 yards and the 4-5 iron are down about 5-7 so the gapping is my only gripe.

I usually change clubs or think about switching during the season, but I havent even wavered one bit. This system just simplified things for me.

I like it a lot.

Was able to hit irons from the full F7 (not forged) set yesterday at an outdoor range demo day. They had a Trackman at each station. Generally liked the longer wedge and short irons (I play overlength anyway) but was not happy with the gapping at the long end. Only saw 7 yard spacing between the 4-5-6. Several of the people who hit before me had slower swingspeeds and had even worse issues. Like the concept and wish I could try a Wishon set to see if they address the gapping.

These are silly, have to have the mind set of bryson to play these. No one has the same approach to golf as he does.

nor should they.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Sorry, but wrong. I use these clubs and I love them. I haven't had iron performance like this in as long as I can remember.

I'm with ya.

My stats are showing I'm up 5 or 6 percent on GIR, my proximity to the hole is vastly improved, contact is better, ball flight more consistent.

From 105 to 205 I'm using the exact same swing, setup, ball position etc. I don't understand whats not to like.

Literally the only thing I can complain about is the gapping issues, but when I stand over a 5 iron and pure it 195 9 out of 10 times instead of hitting it 205 3 out of 10 times I quickly think of something else.

I'd urge people on the fence to try it.

The last thing I'll add for now: I flirt between a 3 and 6 handicap for the last 6 or 7 years...Over the last two weeks playing three or four rounds per week I'm roughly 10 under par. I'm assuming I'll sniff scratch golf for the first time in a decade at my current rate.

Just had my first round with the forged ones today. Hit the long irons great, which I was loving. It's been a long time since I've had confidence with a 4 iron. Short irons, Im still trying to figure out. But it's only my first round so I'm still settling into them. I'm thinking of adding a F7 4 iron as its 20 degrees and get rid of my hybrid. I see others have done similar things seems like the way to go as a driving iron sort of.

I was on the fence with these irons but I'm loving it. Cobra is killing it this year.

These are silly, have to have the mind set of bryson to play these. No one has the same approach to golf as he does.

nor should they.

Sorry, but wrong. I use these clubs and I love them. I haven't had iron performance like this in as long as I can remember.

whether you play single length irons or not, i am simply stating that no one should try to mirror Brysons approach to the game.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I'm with ya.

My stats are showing I'm up 5 or 6 percent on GIR, my proximity to the hole is vastly improved, contact is better, ball flight more consistent.

From 105 to 205 I'm using the exact same swing, setup, ball position etc. I don't understand whats not to like.

Literally the only thing I can complain about is the gapping issues, but when I stand over a 5 iron and pure it 195 9 out of 10 times instead of hitting it 205 3 out of 10 times I quickly think of something else.

The last thing I'll add for now: I flirt between a 3 and 6 handicap for the last 6 or 7 years...Over the last two weeks playing three or four rounds per week I'm roughly 10 under par. I'm assuming I'll sniff scratch golf for the first time in a decade at my current rate.

ii chalk this up as honeymoon phase. you'll have them on BST before the end of the summer. :telephone: :pimp:

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I'm with ya.

ii chalk this up as honeymoon phase. you'll have them on BST before the end of the summer. :telephone: :pimp:

It could happen who knows.

I don't know why people are so dismissive though. Single length irons have been around longer than progressive sets.

At this point the only reason I could see switching them out would be for a Set of Ping single lengths.

The whole idea has simplified the game for me. Exactly what I needed.

Just had my first round with the forged ones today. Hit the long irons great, which I was loving. It's been a long time since I've had confidence with a 4 iron. Short irons, Im still trying to figure out. But it's only my first round so I'm still settling into them. I'm thinking of adding a F7 4 iron as its 20 degrees and get rid of my hybrid. I see others have done similar things seems like the way to go as a driving iron sort of.

I was on the fence with these irons but I'm loving it. Cobra is killing it this year.

Just be aware of your swing speed. You need to be at minimum 85 mph to have any use of the 4 iron.

I'm with ya.

It could happen who knows.

I don't know why people are so dismissive though. Single length irons have been around longer than progressive sets.

At this point the only reason I could see switching them out would be for a Set of Ping single lengths.

The whole idea has simplified the game for me. Exactly what I needed.

I totally agree. I have played the King Forged One now for three months with at least ten practice rounds and three tournament rounds. I absolutely love them. I can't see me going back to variable length anytime soon. As you, my only negative is the gapping in the wedges. But I hit the more lofted clubs much better with SL than VL.

nor should they.

I'd add maybe they should or not. To Quig I'd say you can play any swing with these. I took them out of the bag this week and actually missed them other than the GW. They are going back in the bag , 7-PW. I play hybrids before that.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

I have the Cobra Forged One irons in 4-9 iron and just ordered the PW, GW and the Cobra King One Wedges, based on my results with the 4-9. I have the standard KBS FLT Stiff shafts and I ordered the clubs 3 degrees upright, 1/4 inch long (I'm 6'5") with stock lofts and the JumboMax Medium grips.

My results so far:

-- Distances very similar to my standard irons. But much more consistent in the lower lofted irons. Great to hit 5 and 6 irons straight, one after another.

-- Gapping is excellent. The only drop-off is between the 5-iron and 4-iron. The 4 goes lower than the five but with no distance gain. I have tested this repeatedly. So I'm putting my Apex UT iron back in the bag at taking out the Cobra 4-iron. The rest of the set is perfect.

-- Grips take some getting used to, but they are a huge improvement for me. My miss is left and I tend to flip. With these grips, my misses are slight tugs or pushes (still very playable) rather than snaps or slices.

-- Trajectory is also excellent with these. I am a high ball hitter to begin with so the higher trajectory in the higher lofted irons is not much different than what I'm used to.

-- Spin. Hard to tell because I've only had them on the range, but it seems good. They get nice and high so even with a 5-iron they come down pretty soft.

-- Workability is good, although I don't usually try to move the ball left or right with my irons. I found knock-down shots to be a piece of cake.

-- Forgiveness is not a hallmark of these irons. They are a players design. But pretty good for the category. Try the F7 One Length if you want a bit more forgiveness.

-- Feel is outstanding. Flushing shots with these irons is awesome. Misses will clank a bit but the results are not unusually punishing for this type of iron.

-- Price. Ouch. I ordered directly from Cobra and it will set you back. Cobra got me the irons -- custom order -- in just a few days. Excellent service. If you want to save some money, and your specs are close to standard, there are cheaper options on eBay.

Overall, I am thrilled with these and will report back after I try the PW, GW and 56 and 60. I am sold and can't imagine going back to variable length. I also like the medium JumboMax grips so much I'm putting them on my woods.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Just be aware of your swing speed. You need to be at minimum 85 mph to have any use of the 4 iron.

Not sure what you mean ? Launch issues ?

I agree with Perrkka's comment regarding swing speed. I was recently measured at 86-87 mph with these clubs, and I get a good launch angle from the 4-iron. But, anything slower would probably be a problem. Remember, the 4-iron is only 20 degrees, so it's really an old school 2-iron. There aren't a lot of people who can get one of those off the ground even with a longer shaft. My only issue with these clubs had been with the GW, but I've worked that out.

I agree with Perrkka's comment regarding swing speed. I was recently measured at 86-87 mph with these clubs, and I get a good launch angle from the 4-iron. But, anything slower would probably be a problem. Remember, the 4-iron is only 20 degrees, so it's really an old school 2-iron. There aren't a lot of people who can get one of those off the ground even with a longer shaft. My only issue with these clubs had been with the GW, but I've worked that out.

Yeah I understand that. Would love to test one to see. I launch my 4 iron with a mid trajectory, which seems fine to me but it's 23 degrees.

I'm also having a few issues with the gap wedge but just need more time. It's just feels a bit unnatural.

Yeah I understand that. Would love to test one to see. I launch my 4 iron with a mid trajectory, which seems fine to me but it's 23 degrees.

I'm also having a few issues with the gap wedge but just need more time. It's just feels a bit unnatural.

The gap and sand took me a good 3-4 weeks of decent practice to get comfortable.

And I'm a range rat.

You need high club head speed to be able to have 7 iron length in the the 4 - 6 irons. I have 80 mph club head speed with the Cobra one length irons. I hit the 4 iron and the 5 iron the same distance. So my set up is 3 iron King Utility, 4 iron King Forged One, 6 - GW King Forged One.

Re: clubhead speed to hit long irons @ 7i length, I couldn't agree more. This is exactly my experience, thus far in the 2 months I've owned my set.

I have average to below average CH speed - so I might struggle with 1 length?

You need high club head speed to be able to have 7 iron length in the the 4 - 6 irons. I have 80 mph club head speed with the Cobra one length irons. I hit the 4 iron and the 5 iron the same distance. So my set up is 3 iron King Utility, 4 iron King Forged One, 6 - GW King Forged One.

Re: clubhead speed to hit long irons @ 7i length, I couldn't agree more. This is exactly my experience, thus far in the 2 months I've owned my set.

Yes. I would say 80mph minimum for a mid-iron.

The gap and sand took me a good 3-4 weeks of decent practice to get comfortable.

And I'm a range rat.

Maybe that's what I should do, practice, but that GW is not an easy adjustment . Everything else gets easier and easier to hit as I play them.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

Yes. I would say 80mph minimum for a mid-iron.

I have 80 mph and I now play SL from 6 iron to LW all the other clubs VL. If you have lower swing speed like 75 or 70 mph you might want to start at 7 iron.