One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

I got a set of Pinhawks two days ago and have been hitting them in my garage so a large grain of salt is called for. After hitting about 50 shots and shanking a few into my door and tool shelf I was checking the receipt for a return policy. Today though I went back to the time-honored 9 to 3 swing and focused a bit more. The short irons didn't feel so long and the midirons felt great. Any new set deserves a honeymoon and these will too. I'm definitely working on widening my swing arc and resisting the urge to choke down on the wedges.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CUSTOM-GRAPHITE-or-STEEL-choose-your-SINGLE-LENGTH-38-37-5-37-36-5-IRONS-/252488115226?var=&hash=item3ac976e41a:m:mYxma1TGcBunVSdlsY0ICtg

Found the above link during one of my informational hunts. Tempted to give SL's a try and these may be a fairly inexpensive route. The only main reason for not pulling the trigger is the fact that it's factual that clubhead speed slows with shorter shafts and I'm not all that positive that having the head 4-5 degrees stronger will/can make up the difference. The last thing I personally need in my game now is less distance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CUSTOM-GRAPHITE-or-STEEL-choose-your-SINGLE-LENGTH-38-37-5-37-36-5-IRONS-/252488115226?var=&hash=item3ac976e41a:m:mYxma1TGcBunVSdlsY0ICtg

Found the above link during one of my informational hunts. Tempted to give SL's a try and these may be a fairly inexpensive route. The only main reason for not pulling the trigger is the fact that it's factual that clubhead speed slows with shorter shafts and I'm not all that positive that having the head 4-5 degrees stronger will/can make up the difference. The last thing I personally need in my game now is less distance.

That's why I like the Sterling design. High cor face to replace the ball speed lost using a shorter shaft.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

http://www.ebay.com/...cBunVSdlsY0ICtg

That's why I like the Sterling design. High cor face to replace the ball speed lost using a shorter shaft.

When you say "high cor", how much extra energy transfer is he achieving with the high cor face compared to a standard modern iron? What is the cor of the high cor face? What is the cor of a standard modern iron?

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

One of the guys in our group plays with a standard set of newer cobras, but he chokes down on every iron, 4/5/6 about a good inch+ (which I would surmise brings them to 7 iron length) and he hits them great. No perceivable loss of distance, in fact some of the shots seem to go further. It seems that for what ever reason he does this (never asked him), it's like his version of SL clubs and it seems to work. Any thoughts on this?................

Still playing my single length edel set. Still hitting the ball very straight but I play them at 69 degree lie which is 6.5 degrees up from the cobra single length irons so very upright which puts me prone to a straighter ball flight.

I won't be changing, makes golf way easier.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

MIZUNO MP-68 set of single length irons cut to 38 inches.

Brand New True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 shafts cut to the same length.

Every head is a Mizuno MP-68 fitting cart six iron (pictures are MP-69) bent to the proper loft negating the necessity of adding weight to long irons and grinding weight off the short irons to get the heads to the same weight.

Each club is identical except for the loft.

Use the same exact setup and swing for each club to hit the ball more consistently.

Every club's lie has been set to 62 degrees.

BOUNCE: To the nerds asking about it. The 6 iron's bounce is changed slightly at 24, 40 and 44 degrees, but not enough to make the 24 dig or the 44 kick. If you're considering MP-68s and worried about bounce, you got bigger issues. If you're incapable of striking the ball first on a very fast and shallow plane in the center of the clubface, do not buy MP-68s. To the physics PHD's seizing and about to vomit onto their keyboard, save it. I've already had this conversation with three of you. I'm a class A PGA pro and have had a lot of fun and success playing with these. People get a kick out of it if they go digging in the bag.

Lofts

4 - 24 degrees

5 - 28 degrees

6 - 32 degrees

7 - 36 degrees

8 - 40 degrees

9 - 44 degrees

Found the above info on another ebay search for SL irons...........Very interesting, but can a mizuno head be bent that much (long irons)?

Back to the original question about how we specifically like the Cobra irons... I'm still in early days of testing, but my initial impression is that the Cobras go thru the grass better than my Sterlings. The extra sole width seems to help a lot. I going to start replacing my Sterlings one at a time with Cobras from the bottom up. The Cobra 5-iron has already beaten out the Sterling 5-iron. I've got a 4-iron coming, and I'll do the 6-iron after that. I'll just keep going one at a time until the Sterlings start holding their own. FWIW, I'm playing them a little heavier than spec...D2 rather than D1. I find that they perform best when I remember to let the club do the work. That's an easier concept with a little more swing weight.

Back to the original question about how we specifically like the Cobra irons... I'm still in early days of testing, but my initial impression is that the Cobras go thru the grass better than my Sterlings. The extra sole width seems to help a lot. I going to start replacing my Sterlings one at a time with Cobras from the bottom up. The Cobra 5-iron has already beaten out the Sterling 5-iron. I've got a 4-iron coming, and I'll do the 6-iron after that. I'll just keep going one at a time until the Sterlings start holding their own. FWIW, I'm playing them a little heavier than spec...D2 rather than D1. I find that they perform best when I remember to let the club do the work. That's an easier concept with a little more swing weight.

You using the Forged Cobra or the other version?

I'm going with Sterlings just because of the "thinner" look as I can't get the forged Cobra in leftie.

Think I'll stick with my 5 hybrid over the 5 iron but I'm curious to give it a try.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

When you say "high cor", how much extra energy transfer is he achieving with the high cor face compared to a standard modern iron? What is the cor of the high cor face? What is the cor of a standard modern iron?

I'm legit glad you asked. I was just researching this the other day.

Wishon has designed 3 generations of high COR irons going back to 2004, not counting the Sterlings. There is the 770cfe, 870ti and 771csi. From what I read, which I can't find an exact source for, the COR for a typical forged/cast iron is .77 but the high-COR face flexes and provides .83 COR, right at the legal limit.

At 80mph swing speed, that's 4.8mph ball speed. I was surprised to learn how significant it is. I believe Tom has said (in regards to standard length irons, not SL) pretty much everyone would pick up a half to full club depending on SS.

If you look up each product I listed on wishongolf.com, he makes some detailed explanations in the comments section.

Also, this Tutelman article was a good read for me to understand how the tech works. It's focused on forgiveness in high-COR irons, but explains the tech well.

https://www.tutelman...exFaceIrons.php

Edit: All the research of Tom's high-COR work made me fly over to the bay and see if any of those 3 sets listed above were available! I'd love to try them.

Wishon has designed 3 generations of high COR irons going back to 2004, not counting the Sterlings. There is the 770cfe, 870ti and 771csi. From what I read, which I can't find an exact source for, the COR for a typical forged/cast iron is .77 but the high-COR face flexes and provides .83 COR, right at the legal limit.

At 80mph swing speed, that's 4.8mph ball speed. I was surprised to learn how significant it is. I believe Tom has said (in regards to standard length irons, not SL) pretty much everyone would pick up a half to full club depending on SS.

If you look up each product I listed on wishongolf.com, he makes some detailed explanations in the comments section.

Also, this Tutelman article was a good read for me to understand how the tech works. It's focused on forgiveness in high-COR irons, but explains the tech well.

Edit: All the research of Tom's high-COR work made me fly over to the bay and see if any of those 3 sets listed above were available! I'd love to try them.

That is incredibly interesting. I would figure the major OEMs would be all over any speed advantage. Is anything lost by the higher COR (like spin)?

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

That is incredibly interesting. I would figure the major OEMs would be all over any speed advantage. Is anything lost by the higher COR (like spin)?

Obviously, I PM'ed you the link, but for those following the thread, here is Tom's explanation of why high-COR isn't all over the price. It's pricey to make.

Why do this when you can just jack lofts?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/602983-highest-cor-irons-and-more/

After doing my due diligence on Tom's high-COR designs, I believe the only drawback is spin. Which isn't really a drawback because of the higher launch:

"The only possible “downside” when using a high COR face iron is that at higher clubhead speeds such as a 5 iron speed over 75-80mph is that the ball can take off with less backspin due to the increased flexing of the face. But this generally is not a bad thing because the increased face flexing also brings about a little higher launch angle with it, so the angle of the ball coming down to the ground is steeper to stop the ball when there is a little less backspin to do the same thing."

http://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-771csi/

It's been a slow week at work...

:)

I have been playing a couple of rounds now with the King Forged One irons. Here are my distances compared to my previous set with varying length shafts.

King U 21 deg: 180 m - Hogan 20 deg: 180m

King One 4 iron: 170 m - Hogan 25 deg: 170 m

King Tour 5 iron: 170 m

King One 5 iron: 165 m

King One 6 iron: 160 m - Hogan 30 deg: 154 m

King One 7 iron: 152 m - Hogan 34 deg: 146 m

King One 8 iron: 141 m - Hogan 38 deg: 134 m

King One 9 iron: 132 m - Hogan 42 deg: 123 m

King One PW : 120 m - Hogan 46 deg: 111 m

King One GW : 106 m - Hogan 50 deg 104 m

King One 56 deg: 87m - Hogan 54 deg 95 m

King One 60 deg: 77m - Hogan 58 deg 84 m

I have been playing a couple of rounds now with the King Forged One irons. Here are my distances compared to my previous set with varying length shafts.

How do you find the ball height difference... if any?

How do you find the ball height difference... if any?

The King One 4 iron has considerably lower ball height then the King Tour 5 iron. They carry the same length but the 4 iron will roll out longer. I also think that the King Utility iron has higher ball height then the King One 4 iron. For the King One 6 iron to 8 iron I don't notice any difference in ball height. For the King One 9 iron to GW I notice heigher ball height and more spin.

Just hit the ONE forged at demo day. Overall the looks are nice appealing to a wide range of people I think. The 9 and PW were super easy to hit and had nice high flight. The 5 iron I struggled with at first and did not click with it but I think it was mental. The 5 iron appeared to me to be shorter, but obviously it was not. Distance wise the 5 irons seemed a little shorter but too hard to tell at the range I was at. I really like the idea but think the sterlings might be better concept, although I have not got a chance to hit them yet.

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

No feedback from my side, but a question. I wonder why Cobra hasn't used the iron face technology they used in the AMP Cell irons. They built a milled face insert in those 5/6/7 irons, which is supposed to have a higher COR to make it easier to play. The 5, 6 and 7 sound a tad clicky (just like the Wishons), but they are pretty easy to hit, they feel not too bad and they get the ball up pretty good. I don't know if the PWR face does the same, but I don't think so, since they built it in all the irons, long or short.

No feedback from my side, but a question. I wonder why Cobra hasn't used the iron face technology they used in the AMP Cell irons. They built a milled face insert in those 5/6/7 irons, which is supposed to have a higher COR to make it easier to play. The 5, 6 and 7 sound a tad clicky (just like the Wishons), but they are pretty easy to hit, they feel not too bad and they get the ball up pretty good. I don't know if the PWR face does the same, but I don't think so, since they built it in all the irons, long or short.

I had a similar thought, the cobra forged are players irons and the F7 one are targeted at the higher handicapper. But for the senior market or even begginers, what about a set of the hybrid type irons at one length. Those things are built to help distance, high trajectory and super easy to hit.

You using the Forged Cobra or the other version?

I'm going with Sterlings just because of the "thinner" look as I can't get the forged Cobra in leftie.

Think I'll stick with my 5 hybrid over the 5 iron but I'm curious to give it a try.

I'm using the non-forged version of the Cobras.

I played a par 3 course yesterday with hole lengths between 85 m - 150 m. It felt very good to have the same length on all the clubs used for all the tee shots. I really like the longer shafts, then usual, on the PW and GW. I have a bad back and it feels like the longer shafts is better for my back, it´s easier to do a smooth swing motion. One bad thing I noticed when playing the par 3 course was my new gap between GW and PW of 14 m instead of my old gap of 7 m. It makes it a lot harder to find the right distance on the shot distances that lie in between. I see some practice of hitting 85% PW coming up in the near future.

I just got back a few days ago from a week of golfing at Myrtle Beach with my Cobra F7 One SL irons. It did not take very long at all to get use to the SL concept. Now I'm happy to say that I'm all of my hitting all of my irons solid - love it!!! The icing on the cake is that I had my very first HIO during the last round. It was a 122 yards and I used the PW.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I would still highly advise anyone who is thinking about doing single length to switch to a more vertical swing plane.

I'm currently playing at 70 degree lie angles on all my clubs and trying to transfer that same feel to my driver and I'm hitting it fantastic.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I would still highly advise anyone who is thinking about doing single length to switch to a more vertical swing plane.

I'm currently playing at 70 degree lie angles on all my clubs and trying to transfer that same feel to my driver and I'm hitting it fantastic.

For cobra users, that would mean getting them bent 7.5 degrees upright. I didn't think you could bend cast clubs nearly that much.

The forged ones would for sure the cast for sure wouldn't

Bear in mind I'm 6'4 so many could get away with playing them at 68 or so lie with the same effect.

The secret is the upright single plane swing. It is truly life changing and not that hard to do.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

• 3 weeks later...

For those who ordered a set, has anyone gone to the 8 iron length? I looked at Cobra's page and saw that you can custom order a set to 8 iron length (which is my preferred shaft length), but then I started to wonder what would need to be done to the loft to compensate for the shorter length. I wanted to try a set but most places around me only have the 5 or 7 iron which kinda sucks since I wont be able to really benchmark distances against my current set.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

OK so a mini update as I now have a half dozen rounds and a few hundred range balls with my Single length cobra 5-SW.

I'm in love. I've bought a few sets new , been fitted and enjoyed them but nothing like this. Ridiculous how much confidence I have putting a 7 iron swing on almost all my shots from 100-200.

Things I'm noticing:

The good is dispersion and contact consistency. As a 3-4 handicap my weakness was battling a hook and hitting some irons that came out inconsistent contact-wise. I've never pured more long irons in my life with these. Not a word of a lie, I had two eagle putts (Converted one) on Sunday. Its opening up a new type of attack for me from longer range. Less defensive and less trying to hit away from a spot. More pin hunting.

I havent duffed any shots on the course yet. I've missed some shots, hooked my share but I'm ending up on the fringe or manageable which is encouraging.

The bad is gap bunching. I'm just being honest, some guys will say adjust the lofts or whatever, but I don't think thats a problem as I hit the ball long and have no problem getting these long irons up high. What I have noticed is that the wedges are now 7-10 yards longer and the long irons are 7-10 yards shorter.

For example. I'm hitting a PW in the 140-145 range when my conventional PW (Ping I) last year went 130-135. The 5 iron is topping out pured at 195 carry.

So its not anything drastic or game changing, but the bunching and gapping is present for sure.

I have no regrets at all. Might end up being a positive game changing thing for my game and I love the simplistic nature of one setup, one ball position, one swing.

I am glad I went with a higher launch C-taper shaft though. It's helped normalize the flight of the 5-7 and the 8-SW although they flight higher, are going further and landing soft.

Get fitted. Try them. Be open minded. I fully assume a bunch of you will switch if you are willing to try new things.