One Length irons - Cobra - any feedback ?

TheSliceKing

I have the forged one length. My go to iron that I've always been the most comfortable with has been a 7i, the one length irons based off the 7 intrigued me. I've played them twice now and I even with my rusty a** swing I found them to be great for me. The 4-6 are insanely easy to hit. I used to avoid hitting my 4 iron and just choke down on a hybrid, now I have complete confidence in it. The 9-GW took some getting use to. With the length you feel like your gonna hit a PW 170, but the reduction in head weight and the loft produced the same distance as a traditional length PW (don't have any idea why some guy was airmailing greens by 30yds unless he was thinning them). Around the greens it was a little weird having that much club above your hands but it was easy to adapt. It just takes time, one round isn't enough to adapt to the difference.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the forged one length. My go to iron that I've always been the most comfortable with has been a 7i, the one length irons based off the 7 intrigued me. I've played them twice now and I even with my rusty a** swing I found them to be great for me. The 4-6 are insanely easy to hit. I used to avoid hitting my 4 iron and just choke down on a hybrid, now I have complete confidence in it. The 9-GW took some getting use to. With the length you feel like your gonna hit a PW 170, but the reduction in head weight and the loft produced the same distance as a traditional length PW (don't have any idea why some guy was airmailing greens by 30yds unless he was thinning them). Around the greens it was a little weird having that much club above your hands but it was easy to adapt. It just takes time, one round isn't enough to adapt to the difference.

Everything you just said I agree 100%, Love my set, can't wait to play again with them.....

I'm looking forward to trying the 5 iron.... My fun bag is going to be a short driver, 7 wood, and 5-7-9-G-L Sterlings. If the experiment goes well then I'll go all in!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

has anyone thought of going with a standard length progression up to the 7 iron then one length 7-3? or what ever your longest iron would be?

I know.... Mind Blown Right!

lol guess I should have read the whole thread as the guy just above me did just this ha... you sir are a smart man

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Yep... I demoed the 5 iron at dicks a few weeks and if the associate there tried to get me to buy em I would of ran through the wall to get away. I kinda think that having these at retail stores that dont do fittings is not a great idea.

How's that any different than having all their conventional club models at retail stores ?? Retail stores suck in terms of being able to really fit golf clubs. Proper fitting should only be done like a tailor makes a suit. One expert in fitting and custom building the clubs doing all the measurements and analysis on one golfer at a time to determine the right lengths, lofts, lies, face angles, shaft weight, shaft flex, shaft bend profile, total weight, swingweight, set makeup, grip size, then making the clubs from scratch so every one has those specs. Not "here hit this, hit that, and I think this is the one for you."

Can't even come close to real fitting at a retail golf store. But it's what you get when the industry forces a standard off the rack, volume business model on retail stores who can then only make 25% margin on the clubs and pay the sales staff a princely sum of $10/hr because the clubs are over distributed and nothing more than a commodity where the store with the lowest price gets the sale.

Sorry but anyone who can't see that buying off the rack in a typical retail golf store has always been a horrible way to spend money deserves it when they end up with clubs that don't perform as well as they could and should. Consumers may be smart about shopping around to find the lowest price but they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer when it comes to knowing what real fitting is and can do when done right by an expert.

I think the problem is more pronounced with these. Ive never bought anything off the rack, though played with some hand me downs from players that had similar SS to me. These didnt want to get off the ground.

Word of mouth is make or break in most industries. I wouldnt tell anyone to go grab a set of these, or any other set of clubs, without a fitting.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Currently 36+ HC. Until 2 months ago, I hadn't swung a club in 10-15 years. Before that, I played 1-2 rounds a year. Only time I played regularly was summer of junior year in high school (1982) when I was scoring in the mid-90's.

Now that I'm getting back into the game, I just bought the Cobra One Length and got fitted at the local driving range, 5I-SW.

When I scheduled the fitting, the shop told me they had different length shafts I could try. I was thinking I wanted the clubs sized as a standard 9I (-1") because I'm 5'7".

When I got to the fitting, it turns out the shop only had standard length shafts. I was tempted to just leave, but the standard length clubs with graphite shafts felt great and I was hitting them more consistently/farther at the fitting than my current Spalding irons. The fitter recommended -1/2" length (standard 8I), 2 DEG upright lie angle and graphite shafts with senior flex which I ordered. If I did NOT do the fitting I would have ordered -1" length, standard lie angle and steel shafts with regular flex.

I got the clubs yesterday and hit 50 balls at the range. Max distance per club seems about the same. However, consistency has improved a LOT. Number of bad shots has been cut in half and my 5I is playable again.

Old Spaldings, bad shots were a slice, good shots were straight to slight fade. With Cobra, bad shots are hooks, good shots are straight to slight draw.

I attached a photo my dynamic lie angle test using the Sharpie method. One of the shop workers recommended I get the lie angle re-checked because of the toe strikes. I can get the clubs adjusted for free for up to 90 days after receiving the clubs.

I'll probably wait a couple months before making any adjustments.

The fitting experience didn't go perfectly because the shop didn't have the different length shafts, but it was worth the $60 fee. Fitting fee would've been $90 if I didn't buy the clubs.

Nobody on this board has played these ?

I bought a set of these clubs in late January and have gamed them twice on course (very poor weather in the Seattle area) and have practiced with them at the range about a dozen times. I bought the cast version for more "playability", moving from forged Mizuno M-63s. I went through the fitting process and highly recommend it. It is absolutely necessary to dial in your coordinates.

Though it wasn't solicited by OP, here are my thoughts on moving from variable to single length irons. (I'm a 12 capper)

1. The short irons fly higher and longer. Comparing a pure shot with these to my forged Mizunos, the difference is significant.

2. I didn't find it difficult to adjust to the single length aspect all, especially with GW-9i, I much prefer the longer length. I didn't feel like I needed to dial down my swing but they definitely go farther. I'd say with GW-7i, I've picked up about 8-10 yards per club.

3. For long irons (4 and 5), I still feel like I'm hitting long irons, if that makes sense. Just because the clubs are the same length as my GW, I still have a tendency to want to swing harder to get loft. My hope is that is only temporary, and may be more an issue of my swing and mental game than the clubs themselves.

4. Long irons definitely fly lower. They just do. No matter whether I put the ball more forward in my stance, the trajectory is lower, though I still maintained the distance I had with variable length irons, all things being equal. It flies flatter, longer... like somewhere between a normal shot and a stinger. Holding the greens is tougher.

Overall, I'm happy I've made the investment. I'm way more dialed in with my short irons, so I have a lot more confidence on my second shots if I'm playable off the tee. For someone that is a mid-capper looking to improve consistency, I recommend these. I don't see better players benefitting from this because if you are a better player, you're probably a good iron player to begin with. I see these as an option for someone looking to "find" something that can fundamentally improve iron game performance, not someone who is at the level of simply making tweaks for incremental improvement.

You need high club head speed to be able to have 7 iron length in the the 4 - 6 irons. I have 80 mph club head speed with the Cobra one length irons. I hit the 4 iron and the 5 iron the same distance. So my set up is 3 iron King Utility, 4 iron King Forged One, 6 - GW King Forged One.

Re: clubhead speed to hit long irons @ 7i length, I couldn't agree more. This is exactly my experience, thus far in the 2 months I've owned my set.

I bought a set of these clubs in late January and have gamed them twice on course (very poor weather in the Seattle area) and have practiced with them at the range about a dozen times. I bought the cast version for more "playability", moving from forged Mizuno M-63s. I went through the fitting process and highly recommend it. It is absolutely necessary to dial in your coordinates.

Though it wasn't solicited by OP, here are my thoughts on moving from variable to single length irons. (I'm a 12 capper)

1. The short irons fly higher and longer. Comparing a pure shot with these to my forged Mizunos, the difference is significant.

2. I didn't find it difficult to adjust to the single length aspect all, especially with GW-9i, I much prefer the longer length. I didn't feel like I needed to dial down my swing but they definitely go farther. I'd say with GW-7i, I've picked up about 8-10 yards per club.

3. For long irons (4 and 5), I still feel like I'm hitting long irons, if that makes sense. Just because the clubs are the same length as my GW, I still have a tendency to want to swing harder to get loft. My hope is that is only temporary, and may be more an issue of my swing and mental game than the clubs themselves.

4. Long irons definitely fly lower. They just do. No matter whether I put the ball more forward in my stance, the trajectory is lower, though I still maintained the distance I had with variable length irons, all things being equal. It flies flatter, longer... like somewhere between a normal shot and a stinger. Holding the greens is tougher.

Overall, I'm happy I've made the investment. I'm way more dialed in with my short irons, so I have a lot more confidence on my second shots if I'm playable off the tee. For someone that is a mid-capper looking to improve consistency, I recommend these. I don't see better players benefitting from this because if you are a better player, you're probably a good iron player to begin with. I see these as an option for someone looking to "find" something that can fundamentally improve iron game performance, not someone who is at the level of simply making tweaks for incremental improvement.

Really need to give your brain time to adjust to the SL concept, I've fit 10 guys into the Wishon set last summer - general reports are: #1 consistency of contact - improved their game, unanimously. #2 set make-up adjustments, some stopped at the 6 then went to hybrid/fwys, others stayed with a traditional SW-LW.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

Without a fitting... if one club sucks then they all suck.

Yep... I demoed the 5 iron at dicks a few weeks and if the associate there tried to get me to buy em I would of ran through the wall to get away. I kinda think that having these at retail stores that dont do fittings is not a great idea.

I was thinking the same thing. Cobra took a huge risk manufacturing 100 sets of these things much less stocking them in every sports retail store across the country. I bet after the recent stumbles of Bryson Dechamwhatever that the marketing people at Cobra, and dicks and whoever/wherever else put any energy into these things is contemplating their career choice right now. Earlier in the thread someone said Cobra has doubled or exceeded their projections. That's not hard when your projections is 25 units. Lol. Dumb idea Cobra. Good luck selling these things for 1/8 of retail at Walmart next quarter.

Mine were delivered yesterday. Two range sessions and one round later I am very happy. I was fit by the Cobra rep. He spent at least 1-1/2 hours with me. I decided to upgrade to Recoils since I was playing them in my Apex irons.

All I can say is the concept of one stance and ball position is a winner. Highly recommend that you demo outdoors with a qualified fitter preferably the Cobra rep.

UPDATE: When I went to the range for the first trial session I started with the PW which was a mistake. Since each iron is built to a 7-iron length I should have started with the 7-iron. The PW felt awkward and I could not get comfortable. A couple of hours later I went back to the range and started with the 7-iron. When I could repeat a 7-iron swing I went up and down (5 thru G) keeping the 7-iron ball position, rhythm and tempo. Point and shoot consistency.

I have a set of Edel irons just like Bryson's. Switched back to variable then switched back to single length again recently.

I'm Just more consistent with every club this way. I dislike the drawbacks of the lower launching long irons but I'll take the trade off.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I have a set of Edel irons just like Bryson's. Switched back to variable then switched back to single length again recently.

I'm Just more consistent with every club this way. I dislike the drawbacks of the lower launching long irons but I'll take the trade off.

Do you have the new Edels or a different version? I reAlly like the look of new version but have not been able to demo them

I don't understand how it can possibly be one stance, one swing unless you are playing golf exclusively on a trackman simulator or you always have a perfect fairway lie. You are always in a different stance and you always have a different plane because you are hitting the ball off of the ground*.

Getting SL in the low irons makes a whole lot of sense for high swing speed players because the miss is center-face contact. Getting SL in the mid and high irons makes zero sense, unless there is something I'm missing.

*This assumes you are playing golf on planet Earth.

This argument always pisses me off. So there are uneven lies on the golf course. So what? That's the same no matter how long your club is. You're supposed to align yourself more with the slope and swing regardless of length/lie angle.

/rant

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Do you have the new Edels or a different version? I reAlly like the look of new version but have not been able to demo them

I have one of about four of the original sets that Edel produced just like Bryson's. The new heads arrive at Edel at the end of the month per their rep.

I'm looking at the new ones once they come out. If I can get good launch out of a 3 iron I'm completely sold.

I have about 86 or so MPH swing speed on my 7 iron.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I just ordered 4-gw with the pur 54/54. I went one length through the whole set but 1/2inch under standard to where they will all play at 8 iron length. I'm a touch worried about the height on the long irons but went with a higher launching steel shaft to maybe offset it. I currently hit apex cf16s which are absolutely wonderful but i do struggle with the long irons a bit. They are insanely long but if i can pick up some confidence and consistency of strike with the shorter long irons, i'm all in. Looking forward to it

I don't understand how it can possibly be one stance, one swing unless you are playing golf exclusively on a trackman simulator or you always have a perfect fairway lie. You are always in a different stance and you always have a different plane because you are hitting the ball off of the ground*.

Getting SL in the low irons makes a whole lot of sense for high swing speed players because the miss is center-face contact. Getting SL in the mid and high irons makes zero sense, unless there is something I'm missing.

*This assumes you are playing golf on planet Earth.

This argument always pisses me off. So there are uneven lies on the golf course. So what? That's the same no matter how long your club is. You're supposed to align yourself more with the slope and swing regardless of length/lie angle.

/rant

Right. Except with normal

Clubs you haven't stuck two inches on the end of your sand wedge for no reason. My point is that there is no point to SL above 7 iron or 8 iron. The whole "get your wedges that way too so it's same stance same plane" doesn't make sense.

SL makes a ton of sense 3-7/8. No sense 9 and up.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

@turtsoup have you ever considered switching to hybrids vs long irons?

oh yeah have definitely hit hybrids but i hook the piss out of them and accuracy is out the window. I actually hit an f6 baffler set at 19 degrees but anything higher lofted than that i do prefer irons. Just thinking the shorter length will help with my consistency of strike as i really dont hit them offline much

Spent about an hour with these tonight. I actually thought I would not like them, but I in fact felt really comfortable, with the 5-9I. It was indoors on a mat, though the numbers looked pretty good. Switching between the irons felt great and I was amazed to see flight and distance differences. I'd adopt these if I could get a deal.

I can see why you would discredit these if you are a low HC or are a traditionalist iron player. Why risk your 3 HC for such a strange concept. But, if you are a tinkerer, a higher HC who does not mind giving or gaining then these are worth a try.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I've been intrigued with the single length concept. Hit them at GG and was pretty excited. I remember the EQL irons from tommy armour that never took off. After watching some videos to research them I became even more interested. Mark Crossfield seemed on the fence but was really positive by the time his review was over. Then I watched videos by Peter Finch and Ali Taylor. Both have gone to the cobra single length for their witb 2017. Definitely doesn't seem like it's going to be the flop the EQL's were ?

Interesting points. I am a 12 capper myself and have been debating these. My iron game is so so, not particularly strong but not my weakest point either. Overall the idea of consistency is appealing to me. I was at my local store the other day and decided to take a few swings with these. Hit the 5 7 and 9 irons. Didnt feel any weirdness at all having different irons at the same length. Actually felt quite comfortable. Part of me wants to get these in 5-PW or GW, then standard wedges as I rarely am taking full swings with those so variable length would be preferred. Anywho, appreciated your insight

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

I was thinking of take a few old irons I hardly use and cut them to the same size-but haven't as yet.

Unless you match the lie angles and swing weights will not work.

As I did some research into this idea-I too, realized it would not work - so this idea is in the garbage pail.

See the Ball
Be the Ball
Hit the Ball
Find the Ball
Repeat