USGA's Davis Has An Idea.....

Forged4ever

Two wrongs will not make it right.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is just goofy. I want to see DJ smoke it. If I had ever got to play with Jack I want to see everything he's got. If we are playing against each other (lol) that's what the handicap system is for.

Brainpower? Mike Davis = 40 handicap (no offense to any golfing 40s, just an analogy).

Best response so far this thread.

Yes distance gives you the capability to go for birdies on certain holes, but how far you hit it isn't everything in this game. You still have to be able to hit finesse shots, and putt as well.

The handicap system and tee box combo works for me. I'm a poor 20 handicap golfer, my buddies are single digits, I play from different tees and we have a blast. We keep score and it generally evens out because of these two things.

I'll never sniff tournament play, but in a tournament everyone should be able to use the same equipment as their competitors no?

Lance Armstrong anyone? A precocious mix of natural ability and genetics who used PEDs. What about the guys who were clean? (And yes I know ALOT of guys doped in cycling and prob still do)

Maybe not an apt comparison but you get my drift.

I really don't get the uproar. in the end it's just a score. Just because some big feeling golf courses don't want to seem too easy. Who cares. water the fairways , grow the rough .To punish a player because his physical ability is that much better is crazy, should we put weights in Lebron's shoes. Fairways run like run ways slow them up . It's really about a small percentage that play iconic course that because of perfect teaching , training and equipment hit the ball really far and straight . Would minus 3 in events be better, think about it. A better golf ball would be one that a guy with a perfect hit and 125mph ss would only get 300 out if it , a guy with 115 would get 285 , 105 would get 270. Guys that are able to produce top speed with accurate results should be rewarded just geared back but for everyone .Personally I say leave things alone could get goofy in a hurry.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I wish the USGA would spend more time worrying about the 99.9% of players rather than the pros. Courses are already built to support the pro game, and distance hasn't changed much in a decade. The infrastructure is there already. It's a non issue. The Canadians don't play at the Forum anymore, the Yankees moved too... I don't see the obsession with playing courses because they were used 100yrs ago. It's not the most important thing in the world.

How does this affect 99% of golfers who don't hit the ball that far to begin with? It's a solution to a largely nonexistent problem

Like the groove rule. The vast majority of golfers have difficulty spinning the ball as it is, so what does the USGA do in it's vast wisdom? And the rule affected the professionals not one iota.

We don't need no stinkin' bifurcation...just some common sense.

I heard on PGA Tour radio that the executive committee of the USGA, with the exception of Mike Davis, is made up of people who do not receive any compensation and pay their own expenses. I would submit that these folks are not your average muni golfer and have no clue what the average golfer needs and wants.

Well I'll give it to the USGA they are consistent with their message. Slowly destroy the game and make it unbearable. Two thumbs up from me.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

It's time we stop all this ridiculousness. Make the courses as short as the designers want AND put both a standard cup and a 15" cup on each hole. Golfers should be able to hole out in whichever cup makes them feel good on that particular hole. The problem is........ we're using SCORE to measure ourselves against other golfers. I'm with Ty....... lets go by Height - and allow platform shoes.

It's time we stop all this ridiculousness. Make the courses as short as the designers want AND put both a standard cup and a 15" cup on each hole. Golfers should be able to hole out in whichever cup makes them feel good on that particular hole. The problem is........ we're using SCORE to measure ourselves against other golfers. I'm with Ty....... lets go by Height - and allow platform shoes.

If that were the case I would be a +4. :-)

I say there isn't a single course these guys played decades ago that is truly obsolete. Give them narrow, soft fairways. Give them fairways that end about 250yds off the box with knee high fescue at the end of the runway. Give them furrowed bunkers and table top greens (or heaven forbid...slow, unrolled greens). How about real rough every week? Give them locations where the wind blows instead of chasing perfect weather all season. A golf course is only obsolete if it chooses to be (or the PGA setup deems it to be).

Charl Schwartzel thinks that a reduced distance ball might be a good idea. His reasoning: speed of play. He gives the example of having to walk 100 yards from the green, back into a chute in order to tee off - because the courses have been lengthened. You walk back there, tee off, and then you walk forward and pass the last green. You have walked an extra 200 yards to play a shot because the equipment is so much longer. That slows up play.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Who is expected to pay for the R and D? I'm pretty sure Titleist, Callaway, Bridgestone, etc. are happy the way it is. They sell tons of different balls for different people. Sound like the USGA would be asking a lot from them because i am pretty those $20 dollar annual membership fees (or whatever it is now) are not gonna cover the costs and pay the executives. Lol

Morning Gals & Gents :)

Ok, it's obvious that the general consensus is that Davis is a bone head and I should have asked this up front and may edit it in however what would be some of your suggestions if you were in Davis's shoes?

Have a great day/evening?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Charl Schwartzel thinks that a reduced distance ball might be a good idea. His reasoning: speed of play. He gives the example of having to walk 100 yards from the green, back into a chute in order to tee off - because the courses have been lengthened. You walk back there, tee off, and then you walk forward and pass the last green. You have walked an extra 200 yards to play a shot because the equipment is so much longer. That slows up play.

Great post GV?

My only thoughts are that this is one of those "solutions" that makes sense theoretically however in application, I see it having little to no effect(That in vitro versus in vivo thingy :) ), in and of itself.

Just my .03 worth :)

Thanks much for responding as you always post top shelf thoughts!

My Best,

Richard

Why punish a power player? If that is the case, take the 60%-64% wedge away from Phil. Make Speith putt left handed. Take the grooves of of Zach Johnson's wedges. Each guy has strengths and weaknesses. Why is length scrutinized more than any other? I have never played with a single person that wished they hit it shorter. I equate distance with offense. It is the home run, the long bomb, the one timer from the dot. Those are all things that get fans out of their seats, and adds excitement to the games. The USGA always seems to dwell on Defense.

I like this comment - "I don't think that you can find another sport that has allowed equipment to dictate how playing fields get changed."

I think this is one of the stupidest comments in the article.

1.) hockey composite sticks making shots quicker

Light weight skates making skating faster

Different sharpening techniques to make skating quicker

Compounds rubbed on skate blades making coasting faster/more efficient.

2.) tennis composite racquets making game faster

Increased tension on strings making game faster

3.) football

Light weight pads/shoes/better cleats allowing game to be faster

Sticky gloves making catching easier

Almost every sport has been effected by increased technology. The ones that use sticks, ie golf obviously get effected more then ones that are just human powered, is basketball.

Plus almost all other sports do not allow for a different ball, puck, etc. The only ball change I'd support is going to one standard golf ball for everyone but I'm guessing the manufacturers aren't going to go for that one.

I like this comment - "I don't think that you can find another sport that has allowed equipment to dictate how playing fields get changed."

3.) football

Almost every sport has been effected by increased technology. The ones that use sticks, ie golf obviously get effected more then ones that are just human powered, is basketball.

Plus almost all other sports do not allow for a different ball, puck, etc. The only ball change I'd support is going to one standard golf ball for everyone but I'm guessing the manufacturers aren't going to go for that one.

Yea in tennis the serve and volley game is basically extinct.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

3.) football

Yea in tennis the serve and volley game is basically extinct.

Not defending him but I think he meant field literally. Like hockey rinks are still the same size. Tech has not forced these sports to make the actual playing structure different.

That does not change the fact that I think the idea is stupid though.

I'd definitely like to see a two ball system in place: Tour Ball and Non-Tour Ball. I'd also like to see the Tour Ball be identical for everyone with the same core, cover material, dimple design and depth. I'd like to see that ball spin like a mother. You'd need to have a really solid swing to control that ball especially in windy conditions.

I realize spectators like to the pros hit the ball to the stratosphere. I remember the first time I saw Fred Couples hit a driver in 1982. My jaw dropped. It will be the same when DJ connects one of those babies. In fact, it may even sound better because you can just hear the backspin coming off those golf balls.

If you have ambitions playing on Tour, better learn your game with the Tour ball. If you want to show off to your friends, play against them with a Tour ball on a recreational round. Beat them with it and have bragging rights.

I don't know why everyone is so against it. I think it makes perfect sense and if I were USGA Davis, I would make it a priority. Hell if I were Chairman of Augusta, I would come out and introduce the Master's Ball.

I'd definitely like to see a two ball system in place: Tour Ball and Non-Tour Ball. I'd also like to see the Tour Ball be identical for everyone with the same core, cover material, dimple design and depth. I'd like to see that ball spin like a mother. You'd need to have a really solid swing to control that ball especially in windy conditions.

I realize spectators like to the pros hit the ball to the stratosphere. I remember the first time I saw Fred Couples hit a driver in 1982. My jaw dropped. It will be the same when DJ connects one of those babies. In fact, it may even sound better because you can just hear the backspin coming off those golf balls.

If you have ambitions playing on Tour, better learn your game with the Tour ball. If you want to show off to your friends, play against them with a Tour ball on a recreational round. Beat them with it and have bragging rights.

I don't know why everyone is so against it. I think it makes perfect sense and if I were USGA Davis, I would make it a priority. Hell if I were Chairman of Augusta, I would come out and introduce the Master's Ball.

I would think that if the Tour would have it's own ball, they would all have to be made in the same factory in order to maintain control over tolerances. I don't think too many ball makers would be on board with that. Regardless of the ball, the long knockers would still be hitting well past the short hitters. It may keep some courses relevant, but advantage would still be with the guys that hit it longer.

Stupid idea.

I would like to see the ball dialed back for everyone.

agree. i would love to see an 80% ball for everyone.... this is them trying to appease the Hack Ams who will cry fowl if its suggested for everyone .. or if the current balls are deemed non-conforming....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

By his logic, the three point line should be moved back to the half court line for Steph Curry.

Any idea that punishes someone for being more talented than others is plain dumb.

that logic only works if Curry is usuing a ball or perhaps some magic gloves that make the ball go in..... skill isnt what is helping the great drivers today.. sure they have skill but the ball and forgiving drivers allow for the all out swings

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Me personally, I'd rather see em go back to steel shafts before this variable distance ........

The bombers would still take it 300+

I mean Sam hit a measured 342yds in the 1938 PGA Championship against Paul Runyan(Mr. Runyan hit a measured 242yder and then chipped in for an eagle to take the hole, lmao) and Jack won that one Tour Long drive with a drive of 360 somethin so it's not like they still couldn't go deep-

That just me and I know it's not even on the table

All the Best,

RP

i would vote for that !! steel only and 43.5 inch max club length... any club! ( kill two birds one stone)

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I would think that if the Tour would have it's own ball, they would all have to be made in the same factory in order to maintain control over tolerances. I don't think too many ball makers would be on board with that. Regardless of the ball, the long knockers would still be hitting well past the short hitters. It may keep some courses relevant, but advantage would still be with the guys that hit it longer.

There will always be bombers, every generation had them. However, with a spinny ball, the bombers might curve the ball too much on a miss and hit more OB's or go deeper into the trees. Today's balls don't spin so everyone can just make a superman pass at the ball without fear of knocking it out or into deep trouble.

I've been inside the Srixon and Bridgestone plants and can tell you that making golf balls is basically the same process for any factory. A top manufacturer will have no problem creating a Tour ball based on the specs given to them.

If the manufacturers b**** and gripe, let them. They don't make the rules. The USGA can even bid out a contract to be the official Tour Ball if they really wanted to. Spalding is the official basketball of the NBA. Wilson I believe is that of the NCAA. Slazenger is the official ball of Wimbledon. If other sports leagues can control the ball, there should be no reason for the USGA not to.

Golf ball is fine in its current forms. Any further advancement would be truly pushing it, and should be regulated. I think the effort should be to maintain the current tech and leave it there.

Like many others, I think the reduction in driver size (cc) is a more valid argument. I believe 300cc would be the ideal max. Aesthetically so much better looking too. Long hitters could still crush, but would probably scale back a few MPH's SS. It may only make an incremental change to overall driving distance, but that should be good enough. Taking away more than 10-15 yards from anyone on tour is silly and unnecessary.

I think this propaganda of major changes needing to be made is just USGA way of stirring up drama in a boring time. Golf is still psychotically difficult. All players still lose sleep many nights hitting shots OB or missing 3 footers.

The recent rules changes were minor issues that were fixed with common sense. We all applauded that effort. Taking away possibly 25-35+ yards from guys is excessive. Just make minor changes or cap the tech where it is

We all want to see these guys crush the ball. We all oooo and Aaaahhhhhh over 350+ drives. It's just an incredible feat of athleticism that we love to see. Thats not going to change and it shouldn't.

But I get it, I think it would be interesting to see some of the classic shorter courses come back in to play. And I'd love to see these guys work a wound ball. But not in regular play. Do it at an exhibition or wgc or better yet, presidents cup. That'd be fun to watch.

Edit:word

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

3.) football

You gave examples of how equipment has changed and made the game different for hockey, tennis, and football. But the actual playing field for those sports have not changed. Just about every sport has seen advances in equipment but few, if any, have had to change the actual playing field like golf has had to do.

I just want to know between the USGA and the R&A, are all the stupid ideas just the USGA? If so, then it is time for them to retire and let one world organization represent golf (of which they are banned). The USGA must still have their still going full-tilt, from the prohibition days, near wherever they do their brain storming - either that, or they are literally coming up with these ideas by beating themselves senseless with 2x4's beforehand.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie