Sean2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who doesn't like a good SJW thread?

Since we're talking politics and religion, this is destined for the lock, but before then...

It's really simple. Asked a question on a topic. Answered question on a topic.

Get someone to ask him a question about playing tournaments in parts of the world that discriminate against others and have laws denying people basic rights - such as the U.A.E. and the U.S.A. - have him juxtapose that answer with his Muirfield one.

Based on his reply, there may be some basis for referring to his actions in a derogatory manner or there may not be. Right now there isn't. Not by a long shot.

SJW? lol

The media won't ask him about the UAE because it would probably be viewed as not very PC. And, most of the media is very PC. There are narratives that must be adhered to.

Miurfield is an easy one to be outraged about, and everyone will nod their heads at how sage you are, how great it is you stand up for the rights of the "oppressed".

The point is McIlroy has a big stage, and his selectivity while on that stage seems quite self-serving, i.e., he gains a lot of points with the general public, and the golf world in particular. As far as the UAE is concerned the vast majority of people probably never heard of it, however, those who play golf have. And, probably those who are aware of it, don't know the politics.

Trump's courses get boycotted, yet a nation that has done a lot worse than Trump gets a pass. The faux outrage and hypocrisy is breathtaking.

You can't have it both ways. Either you condemn all those who violate the common dictates of decency or you keep your mouth shut.

This all reeks of "situational ethics". In this case the situation with Miurfield is easy pickings, however the situation with the UAE is not: hey, that could cost some folks some money...so let's not rock the boat.

You either have principles or you don't. You either have ethics or you don't. There are no half measures.

How does any of this make someone a hypocrite for answering a question?

You said someone was being hypocritical for how they answered a specific question on a topic and then you follow that up with a huge non-sequitur about the media and the economy.

Isn't a less bad attempt at making an association the 2017 PGA Championship and then the next Olympics golf venue in Japan?

Even still, until he has been asked a question about those subjects or offered up an opinion on them, and then most importantly acts in someway that contradicts his answers, there is still no way to call someone a hypocrite in this instance.

Just so you don't have to look it up, I'll put the definition here, and then can you try and apply it to Rory's comments at the press conference this week:

- An expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction

- Insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have

He is not a hypocrite for answering the question. It's what he didn't say that gives me pause. In fairness to McIlroy though, perhaps he doesn't know what is going on in the UAE. And, perhaps the media should do a better job in asking questions...though I doubt they will ever ask about the UAE.

UAE gets a pass. They aren't white men. And unless you are boycotting white men, it's not on the SJW radar... :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

You put these guys on such a pedestal its sickening. they hit a ball for a living. Instead of hanging on to every word a 27 year old says maybe you should focus on bettering your own life so other random people can criticize you

I don't put him on a pedestal...I don't put anyone on a pedestal. We all put our pants on one leg at a time, we all go to the bathroom, we all breathe, and we all bleed red. However, other people do put him on a pedestal. Like it or not, he has a forum and as such he has a responsibility.

As far as criticizing him goes I offer myself a lot more criticism than I have ever offered my fellow human beings.

Though I find it funny that you pan me for criticizing someone, yet that is what you are doing to me. :-)

Since we're talking politics and religion, this is destined for the lock, but before then...

Get someone to ask him a question about playing tournaments in parts of the world that discriminate against others and have laws denying people basic rights - such as the U.A.E. and the U.S.A. - have him juxtapose that answer with his Muirfield one.

Based on his reply, there may be some basis for referring to his actions in a derogatory manner or there may not be. Right now there isn't. Not by a long shot.

SJW? lol

The media won't ask him about the UAE because it would probably be viewed as not very PC. And, most of the media is very PC. There are narratives that must be adhered to.

Miurfield is an easy one to be outraged about, and everyone will nod their heads at how sage you are, how great it is you stand up for the rights of the "oppressed".

The point is McIlroy has a big stage, and his selectivity while on that stage seems quite self-serving, i.e., he gains a lot of points with the general public, and the golf world in particular. As far as the UAE is concerned the vast majority of people probably never heard of it, however, those who play golf have. And, probably those who are aware of it, don't know the politics.

Trump's courses get boycotted, yet a nation that has done a lot worse than Trump gets a pass. The faux outrage and hypocrisy is breathtaking.

You can't have it both ways. Either you condemn all those who violate the common dictates of decency or you keep your mouth shut.

This all reeks of "situational ethics". In this case the situation with Miurfield is easy pickings, however the situation with the UAE is not: hey, that could cost some folks some money...so let's not rock the boat.

You either have principles or you don't. You either have ethics or you don't. There are no half measures.

Mahatma McIlroy. Goes on hunger strike to right all the worlds wrongs. Loses 100 pounds and consequently 57 yards off the tee. Gains lots of respect but not No1 in the OWGR.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

He is not a hypocrite for answering the question. It's what he didn't say that gives me pause. In fairness to McIlroy though, perhaps he doesn't know what is going on in the UAE. And, perhaps the media should do a better job in asking questions...though I doubt they will ever ask about the UAE.

now that you've begun backpedaling, you need to change the title of the thread. here, have a nice warm glass of ethics. does it taste good? or are you choking on it?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

now that you've begun backpedaling, you need to change the title of the thread. here, have a nice warm glass of ethics. does it taste good? or are you choking on it?

Im not sure if you're Pro Rory, or pro UAE but you're look here isn't a good one. Sean CLEARLY said answering the question ALONE doesn't make him a hypocrite, it's being vocally critical about the membership issue while collecting huge appearance fee's from UAE and remaining silent on their barbaric treatment of women. If you cant see that hypocrisy, you have an agenda.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

It's an interesting thought, I mean we can all oppose things, but at the end of the day were all mostly full of crap. Almost everyone posting in this thread or reading this thread has bought products from companies or countries that have done bad things. Whether it be using contract manufacturing that is dangerously close to slave labor, or buying from countries that oppress their people.

I mean he answered a question with hoe he felt. But feeling something and acting on it to try and cause change are massively different things

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed.-Lloyd Dobler

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

SJW? lol

Mahatma McIlroy. Goes on hunger strike to right all the worlds wrongs. Loses 100 pounds and consequently 57 yards off the tee. Gains lots of respect but not No1 in the OWGR.

Haha!

He stages a protest of non-violence, refuses to hit the ball.

OWGR suffer further as a result.

What's Miurfield?

Macgregor blade irons made between 84 and 86 and they have a guy named Nicklaus's signature on them :taunt:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

You said someone was being hypocritical for how they answered a specific question on a topic and then you follow that up with a huge non-sequitur about the media and the economy.

Isn't a less bad attempt at making an association the 2017 PGA Championship and then the next Olympics golf venue in Japan?

Even still, until he has been asked a question about those subjects or offered up an opinion on them, and then most importantly acts in someway that contradicts his answers, there is still no way to call someone a hypocrite in this instance.

Just so you don't have to look it up, I'll put the definition here, and then can you try and apply it to Rory's comments at the press conference this week:

- Insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have

I know he isn't. I did say how he answered. Please reread what I highlighted in my reply (bolded/greened above).

You have still not shown how someone is exhibiting hypocrisy by answering a question on a specific situation.

Does anyone who is asked a question about a topic, need to consider every tangential possibility someone else may apply to a question that person is asked, to avoid such an accusation?

If so, then pretty much anyone who is asked a question (that is not a simple yes/no answer) and provides an answer to it, can be accused of answering hypocritically by someone who wants to apply their bias to the question on offer.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Not sure where you are going with this one Sean? Forged4Ever had a similar thread on this somewhere.

Regarding hypocrisy, I don't think it quite applies if he was asked the question about Muirfield and answered it. Not sure what that has to do the conditions in UAE if that wasn't anywhere in the question asked.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I know he isn't. I did say how he answered. Please reread what I highlighted in my reply (bolded/greened above).

You have still not shown how someone is exhibiting hypocrisy by answering a question on a specific situation.

Does anyone who is asked a question about a topic, need to consider every tangential possibility someone else may apply to a question that person is asked, to avoid such an accusation?

If so, then pretty much anyone who is asked a question (that is not a simple yes/no answer) and provides an answer to it, can be accused of answering hypocritically by someone who wants to apply their bias to the question on offer.

His personal feelings are pretty clear here and they hardly line up with his behavior. He doesn't need to be asked his opinion on the treatment of women in the UAE to stand in contrast on hisl indignant complaints over women's membership at a golf club. Does anybody live in a world where not allowing women members is an outrage and the actual violent oppression of women is OK? Or does Rors just block out all that horror as he cashes his appearance fee checks?

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I had a dream where I woke up one day

And everyone in the world was insane

; )

bf12c2bf1e67d0b823042d579d8a31eb.jpg

Well, your dream has come true. :-)

By any chance, in your dream, was CNN front and center?

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

His personal feelings are pretty clear here and they hardly line up with his behavior. He doesn't need to be asked his opinion on the treatment of women in the UAE to stand in contrast on hisl indignant complaints over women's membership at a golf club. Does anybody live in a world where not allowing women members is an outrage and the actual violent oppression of women is OK? Or does Rors just block out all that horror as he cashes his appearance fee checks?

"He doesn't need to be asked his opinion on the treatment of women in the UAE"

Nor do we.

<hear, hear>

; )

UAE gets a pass. They aren't white men. And unless you are boycotting white men, it's not on the SJW radar... :rolleyes:

Oh, stage, well played!

"He doesn't need to be asked his opinion on the treatment of women in the UAE"

Nor do we.

<hear, hear>

; )

I have no idea what you're saying here but i just wanted to say, awesome execution of using just a little of what i said, changing its meaning, to make whatever point you wanted to make! well played

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

IDK. Maybe some of the members of ANGC until the summer of 2012?

Anyways a guy is asked a question. Guy supplies an immediate response - and not some measured key note speech - to it.

Some other guy who is not there hears that answer, spends a couple days thinking about it, then proclaims that guy to be answering hypocritically, because for him hearing something that "gives me pause" and hypocrisy are synonyms.

It's the weekend, if this thing isn't locked by Sun night/Mon morning, I'll catch up, but still waiting for anything more than some generic comments on what's wrong with another part of the world, when there's more than enough in our own backyard that deserves attention too. I look forward to loads of hypocrisy threads come the US PGA Championship.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I don't really blame Rory for not answering a question that wasn't asked, but I'd love to see some reporter have the balls to ask him the question the next time they're in Dubai.

I don't think it's unreasonable, though, to expect sports figures to take the occasional moral or ethical stand. The boycott of South Africa by sports and entertainment figures, and the resulting cultural isolation, played a part in ending apartheid. Would a boycott by the same folks change things in the Middle East? No, but their presence does help normalize those countries in people's minds. The UAE spends a lot of time and money getting you to think about architecture, sports and business and not about the treatment of women and religious minorities.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I have no idea what you're saying here but i just wanted to say, awesome execution of using just a little of what i said, changing its meaning, to make whatever point you wanted to make! well played

Has CNN taught us too well?

I don't really blame Rory for not answering a question that wasn't asked, but I'd love to see some reporter have the balls to ask him the question the next time they're in Dubai.

I don't think it's unreasonable, though, to expect sports figures to take the occasional moral or ethical stand. The boycott of South Africa by sports and entertainment figures, and the resulting cultural isolation, played a part in ending apartheid. Would a boycott by the same folks change things in the Middle East? No, but their presence does help normalize those countries in people's minds. The UAE spends a lot of time and money getting you to think about architecture, sports and business and not about the treatment of women and religious minorities.

Unfortunately as long as they can have their name plastered across stadiums and the fronts of football shirts, that quite literally millions of people around the world happily purchase and wear (and maybe billions view), professional golf could wholly remove itself from all involvement in the country of your choice, and it won't even register - well apart from here, but then we have a multi-page thread of a guy squashing a bug..

Some genuine dissent/protest in world football is a far better (but unfortunately, just as unlikely) shout at affecting a modicum of change.

F.T.

Nail meet head !!! Absolutely correct stage ! Absolutely ! Only select groups are allowed to be demonized !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

All the spin on earth won't cover the hypocrisy. Regardless of whether he was asked a question on the UaE or not he knows full well what the deal is there yet he is one the uAE poster boys. Come to think of it. Forget Rory. The damn European tour are the true forked tongues. The r and a calls out muirfield and all the while is in bed with the tour who collects God knows how much each year from the UAE. Wow.

Very insightful thread Sean.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock