2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2017 Masters Tournament Discussion Thread

PZero

Do players choose their own time and partners for the par 3 contest? Judging by the different handwriting for each name, it looks that way. If so, some interesting groups. I notice Woosnam and Lyle paired up, but Faldo's not with them....Kaymer and Langer together, which is not a surprise. I expect they are going to lecture young Matthew FitzPatrick on the perils of Brexit....

Also interested to see Pat Perez partnered with Ray Floyd and Adam Scott. So many groups I'd want to follow.

Looks like the players get to choose who they want to play with and it's on a first come first serve as far as the tee times goes.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, many great story lines heading into the Masters. I always hope the game's top players rise to the occasion.

After watching Golf Channel's Live From The Masters, I can't think of a more wonderful scenario than Jason Day winning this week.

I'd love to see Jason win it. He's performed well at Augusta in the past. If not him, I'd like to see Phil turn back the clock and put together another great performance.

As usual, many great story lines heading into the Masters. I always hope the game's top players rise to the occasion.

After watching Golf Channel's Live From The Masters, I can't think of a more wonderful scenario than Jason Day winning this week.

I'd love to see Jason win it. He's performed well at Augusta in the past. If not him, I'd like to see Phil turn back the clock and put together another great performance.

A Day's win would be great indeed!

Butch is on the range with DJ, and is holding an all-black driver. I wonder if it's Butch's own club, or something new for the worlds 2nd greatest player?

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Woah...some serious winds on tap for Thursday and Friday. Forecast of 20-30 mph each day, with gusts possibly topping 40 mph on Thursday.

That's a guaranteed suspension of play then.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

So what is there to do in Augusta if course is closed tomorrow?

Waffle House?

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Woah...some serious winds on tap for Thursday and Friday. Forecast of 20-30 mph each day, with gusts possibly topping 40 mph on Thursday.

Golf Channel went thru 3-4 holes last night to show how these projected winds would affect. Can't remember all the holes but number 1 looked like it was going to be really nasty with 20 mph cross wind

Who is the oldest player ever to play in the masters? I saw the list of pairings, and ian woosman is playing, probably oldest in the field now.

[size=2]G25 8.5° phenom NL 60 s[/size]
[size=2]xcg7 13° fuel ts 70 s[/size]
[size=2]G20 16.5° nvs 85 s tipped 1.75"[/size]
[size=2]G20 3,4,5 & 6 hybrids nv 105 s[/size]
[size=2]G25 7-u irons s300 ssx1 +1"[/size]
[size=2]EYE XG s & l wedges 8 iron x100[/size]
[size=2]G2 ally c ss fatso 5.0[/size]

Do they really repair/paint the divots overnight? I've never seen any at the beginning of a round.

They have an army of folks there - I was there for Monday last year. There was seriously dudes with dust busters on one tee box sucking up debris. There's always volunteers picking up stray leaves, pine cones, etc. You could hardly find a blade of grass out of place, it was just unreal.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hope Thursday doesn't get called due to wind....

Do we think that's a real possibility? Golf channel has talked about the wind but no mention of a potential suspension (assuming the current forecast were to hold)

I may be being a worry wart - but if it's 30mph sustained and 40mph gusts on those greens, I just worry.

So downloaded the Masters app, looks like they have a lot of live morning video coverage (featured groups, Amen corner, etc.). Definitely worth a download since ESPN doesn't come on the air until 3pm.

Also noticed they added Chromecast support this year, which is a huge improvement since now I can watch the early coverage on my TV.

Do we think that's a real possibility? Golf channel has talked about the wind but no mention of a potential suspension (assuming the current forecast were to hold)

I may be being a worry wart - but if it's 30mph sustained and 40mph gusts on those greens, I just worry.

Don't get me wrong I am very worried lol I'm driving my wife nuts.

Butch is on the range with DJ, and is holding an all-black driver. I wonder if it's Butch's own club, or something new for the worlds 2nd greatest player?

Haha was wondering the same thing. Was trying to think of which of his guys play all black driver like that. Rickie's f7 is all black. Would be interesting to know. I guess butch can probably wonder around with any of his guys drivers or back up drivers. Maybe he took it away from one of them for the practice round! That would be funny.

Haha was wondering the same thing. Was trying to think of which of his guys play all black driver like that. Rickie's f7 is all black. Would be interesting to know. I guess butch can probably wonder around with any of his guys drivers or back up drivers. Maybe he took it away from one of them for the practice round! That would be funny.

It was a Titleist 917. You could clearly see the bottom of it at one point when Butch was watching DJ while holding it under his arms. Right at that moment, the announcers were talking about DJ experimenting with "two drivers" and I thought it was weird that he'd be trying out a Titleist. But that's when I noticed that the second driver was another TM that was leaning against DJ's bag. So I'm assuming that the 917 belongs to Butch or one of his other players.

Titleist TSR3 9 Diamana GT 60S | Ping G430 10.5 Tensei Pro Blue 60S 
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 16.5 Diamana ZF 70S | Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 19H GD AD IZ 85S
Ping G425 22H GD AD IZ 85S
Callaway Apex '24 5-AW Nippon Tour 115S
Cleveland RTX6 54-10 & 58-10 Nippon 115 Wedge
Scotty 009M SSS

Who is the oldest player ever to play in the masters? I saw the list of pairings, and ian woosman is playing, probably oldest in the field now.

Woosnam is nowhere near the oldest, Doug Ford played in his 70s.

Woosnam isn't even the oldest in the field this year...he's only 59. Mark O'Meara is older. Langer and Lyle are the same age.

It was a Titleist 917. You could clearly see the bottom of it at one point when Butch was watching DJ while holding it under his arms. Right at that moment, the announcers were talking about DJ experimenting with "two drivers" and I thought it was weird that he'd be trying out a Titleist. But that's when I noticed that the second driver was another TM that was leaning against DJ's bag. So I'm assuming that the 917 belongs to Butch or one of his other players.

This. Also, the two drivers that DJ was using looked to be the '17 M1 vs the '16 M2.

Don't get me wrong I am very worried lol I'm driving my wife nuts.

I would be absolutely shocked if there is any sort of cancellation on Thursday due to wind. The last forecast I saw had winds around 25 mph. If the rains come as predicted tomorrow, I would suspect ANGC will let the moisture "soak in" on the greens more natural than drying them out with their drainage system like they normally would, to help keep them more receptive.

With the elevation changes on the course, along with the natural habitat, I dont think there would be too many greens (if any) totally exposed to high winds to the point where balls could move on the green. What the wind will do is "even out" the field a bit...if it comes out of the direction forecasted, I believe 3 of the 4 par-5 holes will be playing into the wind on Thursday and Friday. The wedge and long iron games are going to have to be on for everybody. And on the few holes that may be a bit exposed to the wind, I think you'll see the pin placements reflect it.

Im actually looking forward to these first two days with the adverse wind conditions being forecasted. We're truly going to get a leaderboard and cut of players who are playing well. Wind is not normally this big of an issue at Augusta, and since Augusta is normally a high-ball hitter's course as far as approaches go, it really will be an interesting test. Wouldnt shock me to see even par leading after one round, and something like +6 or +7 make the cut if the winds come as forecast.

I would be absolutely shocked if there is any sort of cancellation on Thursday due to wind. The last forecast I saw had winds around 25 mph. If the rains come as predicted tomorrow, I would suspect ANGC will let the moisture "soak in" on the greens more natural than drying them out with their drainage system like they normally would, to help keep them more receptive.

With the elevation changes on the course, along with the natural habitat, I dont think there would be too many greens (if any) totally exposed to high winds to the point where balls could move on the green. What the wind will do is "even out" the field a bit...if it comes out of the direction forecasted, I believe 3 of the 4 par-5 holes will be playing into the wind on Thursday and Friday. The wedge and long iron games are going to have to be on for everybody. And on the few holes that may be a bit exposed to the wind, I think you'll see the pin placements reflect it.

Im actually looking forward to these first two days with the adverse wind conditions being forecasted. We're truly going to get a leaderboard and cut of players who are playing well.

Putting me at ease a bit - thank you hahaha