2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

JACK Golf Channel (merged)

whr

Great point etarv13 makes me ponder...who wins at Augusta or pick any course, current equipment...Jack of 1965-1966 vs Tiger of 2000-2001 who wins after 4 rounds?

If they played ten times they would both win more than once each, impossible to confidently predict one being better than the other. You hear the stories of how long Jack was off the tee, but then you watch the 97 Masters and can't possibly imagine anyone hitting it past Tiger that week. To do that at Augusta, to that field, at that age, in his first major, is mind boggling. All things considered, Tiger that week will never be equalled.

And yet Tiger was never top of the driving stats in any one year on Tour. John Daly was the leader in 1997. Probably not as much of an athlete as Tiger though....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldnt get up and down either way so... :taunt:

Cool comment. I'd still take my chances with a 54, balata, and slow af greens. Those dudes had it easy. Jack even admitted that he putted around bunkers; as the "best player ever."

One only needs to look at the golf swings of Fat Jack circa 1968 and Tiger circa 2000 to see everything he needs to see. One is a golfer, and the other is an athlete playing golf. There is no comparison. Never has been; never should be.

Sounds like someone whos never broken 80... Jesus Christ. An athlete playing golf? Fat Jack? He putted around bunkers? the horror. the greatest player of all time wouldnt be able to learn to play on faster greens and how to use a Lob Wedge? Go on with your wisdom... Greatest course manager and driver of all time wouldnt be able to figure out 460cc drivers? best player ever in quotes is the cherry on top of it all as if thats a controversial crazy statement. Good grief you dont have to diminish Jack to elevate Tiger.

19b4ee45e08536bfa8f9b640310c8f781e293386f80d2a540ededb19d4cb1255.jpg

jack played every sport in hs in ohio, a large state full of athletes ... he was honorable all state as a basketball player his sr year ... he didn't have the same lean physique of tiger, but he was probably just as good an athlete ... doubt tiger could hit a baseball worth a damn or play lb ... the notion that jack didn't measure up to tiger's athleticism is more than bit misguided ...

To say that guys of Jacks era are the same athletically is a stretch IMHO. Not to be racy but jack played sports in an era with white guy athleticism, I could play all state back then an I have no ups. This is the NBA championship team at the time

Notice anything.

Now Jack may have been good for his time, I cannot say he would be all state in the 90s when Jordan was coming up.

Edgy stuff man

It's honestly mind boggling that anyone who knows anything about the golf swing could compare Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Just look at the two swings.

You lost any credibility you had left here with this post but please keep digging. Its golf not golf swing. Do this analogy with Adam Scotts swing or Rory Mcilroys swing and Jacks swing and see how idiotic it sounds.

Cool comment. I'd still take my chances with a 54, balata, and slow af greens. Those dudes had it easy. Jack even admitted that he putted around bunkers; as the "best player ever."

One only needs to look at the golf swings of Fat Jack circa 1968 and Tiger circa 2000 to see everything he needs to see. One is a golfer, and the other is an athlete playing golf. There is no comparison. Never has been; never should be.

Both golfers. Both different kinds of athletes.

Fair.

One of the athletes was markedly better. I think Golfweek had a cover after the 2000 US Open that read: Beyond Compare.

They were not wrong.

Upon what do you base your stance that Tiger is/was the better athlete? Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but if your only criteria is what their respective swings look like I have to question your opinion. Wouldn't their records be a better comparison?

Have you ever seen Jack and/or Tiger demonstrate their athleticism in sports other than golf? How can we accurately measure athleticism?

Upon what do you base your stance that Tiger is/was the better athlete? Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but if your only criteria is what their respective swings look like I have to question your opinion. Wouldn't their records be a better comparison?

Have you ever seen Jack and/or Tiger demonstrate their athleticism in sports other than golf? How can we accurately measure athleticism?

I think the move Tiger used to put on the ball in his prime looks like that of a better athlete. I mean, anyone can tell Dustin Johnson is a more athletic player than Tom Kite by watching the two swings, so I don't think it's all that bad a metric. You can tell Lebron James is more athletic than Bob Cousy was without making them complete a decathlon. I don't think the gap is as big between Tiger and Jack, but I believe there is one. Nicklaus was a helluva youth sports player from what I hear, however. Anyway, it's fine if people don't agree.

Sounds like someone whos never broken 80... Jesus Christ. An athlete playing golf? Fat Jack? He putted around bunkers? the horror. the greatest player of all time wouldnt be able to learn to play on faster greens and how to use a Lob Wedge? Go on with your wisdom... Greatest course manager and driver of all time wouldnt be able to figure out 460cc drivers? best player ever in quotes is the cherry on top of it all as if thats a controversial crazy statement. Good grief you dont have to diminish Jack to elevate Tiger.

I don't think it's controversial to say Nicklaus was the best. I just think it's crazy to think of an era in which the best player in the world couldn't chip over a bunker. Granted, he straightened it out later, but one could not even sniff the big tour these days without a pretty damned good short game. Finally, and I know you know this, but Tiger's first few dominating wins in majors had him using equipment that wasn't all that different than the 1970s. 43.5" Steel shaft, 275 ccs (titanium, yes, on the 975D), straight up blades, and the 1997 Masters was won with a wound Titleist professional 90, I believe.

You realize Jack was a multi-sport athlete in high school and Tiger was ... a nerd.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

You realize Jack was a multi-sport athlete in high school and Tiger was ... a nerd.

Hey!

MV5BOGM1YjYxMjUtMzk2NC00ZmViLTgwNmEtMTQ4ZTk3YzFlOTEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

I don't think it's controversial to say Nicklaus was the best. I just think it's crazy to think of an era in which the best player in the world couldn't chip over a bunker. Granted, he straightened it out later, but one could not even sniff the big tour these days without a pretty damned good short game. Finally, and I know you know this, but Tiger's first few dominating wins in majors had him using equipment that wasn't all that different than the 1970s. 43.5" Steel shaft, 275 ccs (titanium, yes, on the 975D), straight up blades, and the 1997 Masters was won with a wound Titleist professional 90, I believe.

The equipment from Jack's era may have been the best of it's time, but the tolerances were simply much looser back then. There is a reason no one on Tour is playing 40 year old blades. The new stuff has evolved and is much better. The Titleist Professional was as big a revolution over the Tour Balata's as the Pro V1 was when it followed the Professional. Between the ball and the metal driver, there is a HUGE distance gain.

i don't know that those metal drivers at that time gave huge distance gains ... they just had a larger sweetspot, so off center hits weren't as bad ... think i remember a pro saying that ... but regardless, jack was a very good athlete and tiger, while also being a very good athlete, had a lot more going for him than his athleticism ...

The equipment from Jack's era may have been the best of it's time, but the tolerances were simply much looser back then. There is a reason no one on Tour is playing 40 year old blades. The new stuff has evolved and is much better. The Titleist Professional was as big a revolution over the Tour Balata's as the Pro V1 was when it followed the Professional. Between the ball and the metal driver, there is a HUGE distance gain.

And a corresponding increase in average course distance. Look, it's just my opinion that golfers in the post-Tiger era are better as a whole than those in Nicklaus's era. I'm not a new golfer, and I remember watching and playing a ton of golf well before Tiger came on the scene. There is a marked difference completely exclusive of equipment evolution (which, in my opinion, is pretty much counteracted by modern course length and conditions).

How many points could you be dead wrong on in 1 post? Here goes for the last time. Golf was played differently in the 50s-60s-70s hell even the 80s. Along the ground. Jack or any player of that era most certainly could pitch it over the bunker however primitive greens keeping and primitive equipment 53*-54- wedges with no custom grind or bounce prevented that from being the to go to option. You want to praise Tiger for using similar dimension woods? well they were metal. His MP-7s also had a 30% larger sweet spot than anything Jack or any golfer used in the 60s or 70s. So lets see here, they both used similar equipment for their eras and had similar results yet 1 is clearly superior to the other because modern agronomy didnt exist back then and golf was easy. See how this goes nowhere? as the game evolved and equipment evolved so did Jack. Such a terrible short game that its a miracle he won as much as he did he should bow his head in shame because he never hit a flop shop

I absolutely don't agree Lebron James is more athletic than Bob Cousy, again just different.

Each can/could do things the other couldn't dream of doing with a basketball.

You have a pretty narrow view of "athletic" and a common theme that is simply not the proper measuring stick. No further comment on that.

Wow, OK. Then, there isn't much about which we can talk. Good day, sir.

I absolutely don't agree Lebron James is more athletic than Bob Cousy, again just different.

Each can/could do things the other couldn't dream of doing with a basketball.

You have a pretty narrow view of "athletic" and a common theme that is simply not the proper measuring stick. No further comment on that.

Exatly!!! Lets go further is Shaq more athletic than Wilt?

How many points could you be dead wrong on in 1 post? Here goes for the last time. Golf was played differently in the 50s-60s-70s hell even the 80s. Along the ground. Jack or any player of that era most certainly could pitch it over the bunker however primitive greens keeping and primitive equipment 53*-54- wedges with no custom grind or bounce prevented that from being the to go to option. You want to praise Tiger for using similar dimension woods? well they were metal. His MP-7s also had a 30% larger sweet spot than anything Jack or any golfer used in the 60s or 70s. So lets see here, they both used similar equipment for their eras and had similar results yet 1 is clearly superior to the other because modern agronomy didnt exist back then and golf was easy. See how this goes nowhere? as the game evolved and equipment evolved so did Jack. Such a terrible short game that its a miracle he won as much as he did he should bow his head in shame because he never hit a flop shop

Looks like you're pretty passionate about it. It's crazy that Nicklaus could shoot the scores he did using his fists and a few shovels. You've completely changed my mind on the entire subject.

Looks like you're pretty passionate about it. It's crazy that Nicklaus could shoot the scores he did using his fists and a few shovels. You've completely changed my mind on the entire subject.

giphy.gif

Well, it appears someone has a different opinion than I do. Maybe I should start hurling some insults.

Challenging your lazy opinions is now hurling insults? have a nice life

Cool. That's typed like someone who has never broken 80. You've lost all credibility by having a differing opinion. Maybe a childish meme would be in order here. All things you've done.

giphy.gif

You shouldn't. We both have our own opinions on who is the best to ever take the club back. I can respect yours. I stand by mine.

His driver in 97 Masters was the steel headed King Cobra, didn't go to 975D til about 98/99. Makes his performance even more impressive. His ss must have been off the charts that week. It was the best ball striking week in the history of the game. Not 3 putting over 72 holes was pretty special too.

His driver in 97 Masters was the steel headed King Cobra, didn't go to 975D til about 98/99. Makes his performance even more impressive. His ss must have been off the charts that week. It was the best ball striking week in the history of the game. Not 3 putting over 72 holes was pretty special too.

nope 2000 us open and not even close

Jack's?? Y'all do realize the op started this about JACK's documentary on GC, right?

Plenty of TW threads to post in, just saying.

Very true, thanks. That was a great driver. I played that KC three wood for years. Also played the 976r (the stepchild of the D) for years. I probably hit that thing more consistently than anything since. As for the ball, I remember a time that the about TF Strata came out about a year before the PV1. We were all going Strata before we started "seaming" the original PV1. Good times.

nope 2000 usopen and not even close

See, now you're coming around...