2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Plan B - Hank Haney School of Golf - DFW

So I'm at a point where I need to seek help with a few areas of my game if Im going to improve any further. Something ain't working and no amount of YouTube videos is gonna fix it.

Ive been recommended to Hank Haney school in Lewisville, I was recommended by a coach I initially contacted in Dallas. Hes not available, so the need for Plan B.

Im looking for one on one instruction on an ongoing basis from an instructor that knows what the hell they're doing. Not just one lesson.

Anyone been there?

What did you think of the lessons / experience?

Did it improve your game?

What did you think of the instructor ? Average, Good? or Excellent? If you dont mind sharing a name, who was he?

What did you think of the facility?

And most importantly. If you had to do it over again, would you?

appreciate the comments and insight...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like hank haney, his teachings seem very common sense. I like leadbetter too.

How far away is the school from you?

I wish schools were more up with technology. I think they should film your entire experience from when you walk in the door till you leave. Then give you a link to download it. That way you can refer to it the rest of your life.

I like hank haney, his teachings seem very common sense. I like leadbetter too.

How far away is the school from you?

I wish schools were more up with technology. I think they should film your entire experience from when you walk in the door till you leave. Then give you a link to download it. That way you can refer to it the rest of your life.

Most "schools" are plenty up on technology. Most have over $100k in technology in every location.

Do you know the amount of space 12-16 hours of video would take? And how long it'd take to download? How much hard drive space it would take to record the video in the first place? It simply not feasible. Now I think filming portions of a lesson and/or filming a recap can be very beneficial. But that's an entirely different thing.

Haney had a range/teaching facility near my old office in Dallas. I used to go there in the evenings to practice, got to know Hank pretty well, and watched him teach some.

Hank got his start working for John Jacobs and apart from being very interested in swing plane he teaches much like anyone who learned to teach from Jacobs would teach. Very much into correcting ball flight with student specific corrections. From what I observed he was very effective and trained his assistance in his.Jacobs methods. Were I in the market for a teacher I would certainly give a Haney trained teacher a shot.

Steve

Yeah I do actually, I'm in IT... Amazon hosts everything in their cloud. Basically anything you stream Amazon has it in their cloud. There are no limits in the cloud.

They would need a fast upload speed. Basically connected to google fiber is a must have for this experience I'm talking about.

Not you, you could be anywhere and stream your videos. Mobile cell towers LTE which is abysmal compared to google fiber, but hey it works!

I have been there. My friend and I spent 3 half days with Steve Johnson 3 or 4 years ago..I can't recall.

Overall it was a good experience. Steve fixed my inside backswing with a simple key. The Haney group likes to see parallel lines in the backswing with the address plane line and your club going back...it lead to a laid off backswing for me that I still fight. Tiger said Haney taught him a laid off whipey swing. The whole swing was pretty much a thumbs up to thumbs down swing.

I was at a bad place in my swing evolution so it did help me a bit. Would I go back..no, I feel that the newer moden swing theory has bypassed this current teachings. They didn't use force plates or trackman at the time..I have no idea if they do now. The facility actually has a kinda crappy 9 hole course on it unless they have moved since then.

I have never heard anything bad about Michael Martin from anyone. We have talk via dm a few times and I have learned something each time that has been proven correct by other modern teachers. If I was going to texas golf instruction vacation..he would be my choice

Do you know the amount of space 12-16 hours of video would take? And how long it'd take to download? How much hard drive space it would take to record the video in the first place? It simply not feasible. Now I think filming portions of a lesson and/or filming a recap can be very beneficial. But that's an entirely different thing.

Disk space is nothing. 12 hours would be maybe 4-8 gig depending on the format and the resolution. You can easily transcode on the fly.

Disk space is nothing. 12 hours would be maybe 4-8 gig depending on the format and the resolution. You can easily transcode on the fly.

Maybe at poor quality at low frame rate. At 720p it'd be closer to 132GB.

With a go pro camera at 1080p and 30fps a 12 hour video would take up nearly 200GB. With a better camera like a Canon 7D it'd be over 300GB.

With a go pro camera at 1080p and 30fps a 12 hour video would take up nearly 200GB. With a better camera like a Canon 7D it'd be over 300GB.

Poor quality would be apropos for some instructors, present company excluded.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

iTeach, you're wrong on this one. Listen to the IT guys. You can watch a high quality 1080p full length movie in mkv format, for example, barely over 1 GB. 720p and regular frame rate under 1 GB. I've seen MP4 formats approaching this size as well, and I'm certain you couldn't tell the difference between an "uncompressed" version.

Of course, if you post a link to the video unaltered it will be enormous. That would be silly though, as compressing the video is easy and relatively quick.

Offering video would certainly be a value add.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

iTeach, you're wrong on this one. Listen to the IT guys. You can watch a high quality 1080p full length movie in mkv format, for example, barely over 1 GB. 720p and regular frame rate under 1 GB. I've seen MP4 formats approaching this size as well, and I'm certain you couldn't tell the difference between an "uncompressed" version.

Of course, if you post a link to the video unaltered it will be enormous. That would be silly though, as compressing the video is easy and relatively quick.

Seriously, all the walking around and BS'ing would probably be just fine using lossy compression algorithms. Swing sequences at high frame rates and resolution need to be compress lossless - which rules out mkv. Iteach makes a quite valid point that it would be stupid to waste bandwidth on the trivial at the expense of the relevant; that is, in the course of a day the relevant points are your swing (high resolution, lossless) and instructor commentary (who cares the resolution, lossy, audio is key).

How often would you go back over an 8 hour day of unbookmarked instruction, 95% of which (at best) is noise?

Edit: Why have all your time recorded - the point is information and not data.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

No im not wrong. I know a thing or two about IT and I have the specs in front of me. You're thinking compressed video. I'm talking about the space to actual shoot the video and the amount of room to hold the video. It'd take at least 5 high speed 64GB memory cards to hold the video aka 300GB. Your talking about a finished edited product but missing the whole point where you actually have to shoot and store the video before you can compress it.

Plus it takes time to compile and edit video and then uploading it online. Time you're not paying for.

8 Terabytes is $160 for a computer . That's 8,000 Gigabytes. Minus formatting loss. If you are doing some serious video editing then you would have several of these computers around.

Look you are a golf coach, I get it. I've gotten IT since I first tore a computer apart when I was 17, it's like that scene in Good Will Hunting. Where he says "I dunno I just get it". Like he understands the stuff without trying. Anyway, it's besides the point. But I've always been good at anything tech related.

Back to the point, what Google does, most people can do. If Google fiber is in your area. (And it is in mine), then I would advise you to do a lot more videoing. Even when I was in college, back 15 years ago we could transfer at 1 Gigabyte a second (or around there, it was "Silly fast"). The college had Ethernet all over the campus. I admit the consumer side has stuttered because people have let the cable and phone companies walk all over them.

I know it's a hassle, but if the student had the whole session and all the points and little things discussed. I think it would help them, and it would help me also.

I watch hours of crossfield in his lessons, fittings and playing on course. This is definitely what I'm interested in.

8 Terabytes is $160 for a computer . That's 8,000 Gigabytes. Minus formatting loss. If you are doing some serious video editing then you would have several of these computers around.

Look you are a golf coach, I get it. I've gotten IT since I first tore a computer apart when I was 17, it's like that scene in Good Will Hunting. Where he says "I dunno I just get it". Like he understands the stuff without trying. Anyway, it's besides the point. But I've always been good at anything tech related.

Back to the point, what Google does, most people can do. If Google fiber is in your area. (And it is in mine), then I would advise you to do a lot more videoing. Even when I was in college, back 15 years ago we could transfer at 1 Gigabyte a second (or around there, it was "Silly fast"). The college had Ethernet all over the campus. I admit the consumer side has stuttered because people have let the cable and phone companies walk all over them.

I know it's a hassle, but if the student had the whole session and all the points and little things discussed. I think it would help them, and it would help me also.

I watch hours of crossfield in his lessons, fittings and playing on course. This is definitely what I'm interested in.

I have multiple 6 core i7 computers with about 10TB of storage. Camera doesn't work like a webcam and needs to use memory cards for storage. It also take a ton of time to do. Trust me it's not for lack of knowledge or technology. I was a double engineering major with a computer science minor. It's the fact my time is very valuable. You're not gonna get someone to spend hours editing and converting video for free. I teach 2,500-3,000 hours a year and have a family. You couldn't pay me enough money to film every hour of lessons and edit it all and I sure as hell wouldn't post them online for free for you to watch. Like I said it isn't realistic, and it has way more to do with logistics and time than it does technology. A busy golf pro would have to literally hire someone to manage it all and people already complain golf lessons are too expensive.

Want you want is Crossfield, who doesn't actually teach many lessons, and is essentially a reality tv show. His job is producing content and not teaching.

I always liked it when the instructor would make a short video of before/after and a short summary of changes/drills, done a few without this and they always seem lacking in quality just because it's missing. Don't really see the need to film every second of the lesson, too much white space. If I wanted to film the entire thing I would ask the instructor and setup my own camera, although sound might be a problem.

I have multiple 6 core i7 computers with about 10TB of storage. Camera doesn't work like a webcam and needs to use memory cards for storage. It also take a ton of time to do. Trust me it's not for lack of knowledge or technology. I was a double engineering major with a computer science minor. It's the fact my time is very valuable. You're not gonna get someone to spend hours editing and converting video for free. I teach 2,500-3,000 hours a year and have a family. You couldn't pay me enough money to film every hour of lessons and edit it all and I sure as hell wouldn't post them online for free for you to watch. Like I said it isn't realistic, and it has way more to do with logistics and time than it does technology. A busy golf pro would have to literally hire someone to manage it all and people already complain golf lessons are too expensive.

Want you want is Crossfield, who doesn't actually teach many lessons, and is essentially a reality tv show. His job is producing content and not teaching.

I understand where to are coming from. I was just wondering if people would be willing to pay more to have that keepsake of their lessons. Kind of like Wedding Videography.

I think if a student got out of sync. Then they could pop in the video, see where you guys worked on transition in the down swing and fix themselves.

Also I would think, and im not totally sure on this but I probrably could figure out a way to automatically have a computer station that would record all the video, edit it and post it automatically. Without much user interaction needed.

No im not wrong. I know a thing or two about IT and I have the specs in front of me. You're thinking compressed video. I'm talking about the space to actual shoot the video and the amount of room to hold the video. It'd take at least 5 high speed 64GB memory cards to hold the video aka 300GB. Your talking about a finished edited product but missing the whole point where you actually have to shoot and store the video before you can compress it.

Plus it takes time to compile and edit video and then uploading it online. Time you're not paying for.

I'm not thinking compressed video, I outright said compressed video. Seriously iTeach, do you have to be a know-it-all about everything in the entire universe? Storage costs next to nothing, so compress the uncompressed video, then DELETE the uncompressed video. It's not complicated.

I know you say your time is very valuable (super humble by the way), but consider that this would be a VALUE ADD. Imagine charging even more to have a camera just sit there while you do the exact same thing you did before. Of course pressing a couple buttons would require minutes of work to edit the video afterwards, so that would be a problem. Nobody has ever wanted to pay money for instructional videos after all.

I shouldn't try to argue with you though. You are an expert of every field in existence. Let me go find a brain surgeon and you can educate him on the proper way to perform a hemispherectomy.

Are you this argumentative and stubborn in real life, or just on this board? I respect your knowledge of the golf swing, but man, you are a difficult person to communicate with on this board.

And his content makes more money than you do. His "reality tv content" earns him money while he's sleeping. He doesn't have to earn every penny by physically being on the practice tee. Of course you understand all the logistics of this because you're also a business whiz.

I'm not thinking compressed video, I outright said compressed video. Seriously iTeach, do you have to be a know-it-all about everything in the entire universe? Storage costs next to nothing, so compress the uncompressed video, then DELETE the uncompressed video. It's not complicated.

I know you say your time is very valuable (super humble by the way), but consider that this would be a VALUE ADD. Imagine charging even more to have a camera just sit there while you do the exact same thing you did before. Of course pressing a couple buttons would require minutes of work to edit the video afterwards, so that would be a problem. Nobody has ever wanted to pay money for instructional videos after all.

I shouldn't try to argue with you though. You are an expert of every field in existence. Let me go find a brain surgeon and you can educate him on the proper way to perform a hemispherectomy.

Are you this argumentative and stubborn in real life, or just on this board? I respect your knowledge of the golf swing, but man, you are a difficult person to communicate with on this board.

You're the one trying to sounds smart. You told me I was wrong. And I wasn't. The memory requirements on the camera is 300gb so you are obviously wrong. I know you were talking about compressed video but you still seem to miss the point that I wasn't. I was talking about the storage required on the camera itself. Again not about cost it's about time.

You're the one trying to pick a fight where there doesn't need to be one. I never claimed to be an expert at everything. I do know technology and golf. you wanna attack me and act like a child go ahead. I'm not against filming of my lessons and let students do it all the time. I also provide before and after a and video recaps. And I don't charge any more for it. The point you've missed is I don't think there is any value in recording every second of a lesson. Recap, with drills, and before and after is all anyone needs. And I already do that.

And his content makes more money than you do. His "reality tv content" earns him money while he's sleeping. He doesn't have to earn every penny by physically being on the practice tee. Of course you understand all the logistics of this because you're also a business whiz.

Wanna bet on that? You have zero clue what I make and I also make money when I'm not physically on the practice tee.

And again I want to be a golf instructor. Not a reality tv show personality. I have zero issue with Mark and he is great at what he does. But I don't want to be Mark and what we do is entirely different. He runs his business very well and I respect him, but it's entirely different business

i've done a few schools with Iteach and brought my own camcorder and tripod and pretty much set it up and left it running. It's far from oscar worthy, and the actual swing footage isn't all that useful as you need to record in pretty low fps to not be constantly swapping out memory cards.

That said, I find it very valuable to go back to and am glad I did it.

Basically, if it's important to you, DIY. I had no expectation of Dan or any other instructor doing that for me.

i've done a few schools with Iteach and brought my own camcorder and tripod and pretty much set it up and left it running. It's far from oscar worthy, and the actual swing footage isn't all that useful as you need to record in pretty low fps to not be constantly swapping out memory cards.

That said, I find it very valuable to go back to and am glad I did it.

Basically, if it's important to you, DIY. I had no expectation of Dan or any other instructor doing that for me.

You there, the one making sense, you hush.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying