US Open on links style courses - booo

bogeypro

This is an issue of descriptive adjective choice; straight-up, you are on acid if you honestly believe that the overall look and design of the course is not something akin to what UK-links courses have.

The thread has failed because the meta-message in response is: "it's not links, so you're wrong." Choose what word you want to characterize the design, feel, look of the place, but you are truly on acid if you think it is not different from other US Open courses, or at least making incomplete responses if you don't address that in your replies.

Plain and simple: some photos of the course, if one didn't know where they were, would be assumed to be somewhere in Ireland, the hills of Scotland, or something like that. The monastery in the background could easily be a cathedral or castle in Ireland or Scotland. The place is just teeming and dripping with British-Isles.

Those who have no personal experience should refrain from having such strong opinions. EVERYONE that has played links courses and Erin Hills will forever disagree with you. Anyone with any knowledge of course architecture will disagree with you.

I mean, it's really this simple: you are a silly amount of wrong.

You actually are the silly wrong because I've been to the U.K. and played REAL links courses. Bet you didn't know that, did you?

Your post is a fail.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an issue of descriptive adjective choice; straight-up, you are on acid if you honestly believe that the overall look and design of the course is not something akin to what UK-links courses have.

The thread has failed because the meta-message in response is: "it's not links, so you're wrong." Choose what word you want to characterize the design, feel, look of the place, but you are truly on acid if you think it is not different from other US Open courses, or at least making incomplete responses if you don't address that in your replies.

Plain and simple: some photos of the course, if one didn't know where they were, would be assumed to be somewhere in Ireland, the hills of Scotland, or something like that. The monastery in the background could easily be a cathedral or castle in Ireland or Scotland. The place is just teeming and dripping with British-Isles.

Those who have no personal experience should refrain from having such strong opinions. EVERYONE that has played links courses and Erin Hills will forever disagree with you. Anyone with any knowledge of course architecture will disagree with you.

You actually are the silly wrong because I've been to the U.K. and played REAL links courses. Bet you didn't know that, did you?

Your post is a fail.

Yea but is the dress blue or gold?

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Your post is a fail.

Yea but is the dress blue or gold?

What?

I totally agree but got my head bit off in another thread for expressing that opinion. This makes 3 US Opens in a row without a tree in play. I'm just tired of it.

And while Erin Hills may be a great course...not going to get into that argument. I'm sure it is. But, it's an artificial links style look that the USGA seems to have fallen in love with. And then they try to tell us how much more environmentally friendly it is and easier to maintain. B.S.. You know whats environmentally friendly and easy to maintain? A TREE!

Trees aren't good for rough or greens. And those tree lined courses that you love were originally created w no trees. Trees became trendy about 50 years ago. Getting rid of them is a good thing. All of the good courses are doing it or have done it.

The people who fight to keep trees are usually people who know very little about golf.

B.S., plain and simple. And, btw, the trees at famed and fabled Riviera are going nowhere. :)

What's BS? Nobody will tell you that trees are good for the turf. There are trees that serve a strategic purpose, and it's ok to keep those. But other than that, it's better to cut down as many trees as possible.

The problem at country clubs is that members grow attached to trees. But they usually come around after seeing how much better the course plays after tree removal.

(regardless whether its 'looks like' a links course or not)

going back to the OP's original point:

if US Open has to draw a line from The Open in terms of distinction, shouldn't it be the great diversity of US golf courses?

parkland, links, heartland, desert, wasteland, on the rocks whatever. jersey swamps maybe one day.

it does look however, some recent (and near future) ones seems with less trees:

(pic courtesy of USGA home)

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

Yeah, let's go back to a complete snore fest like the US Opens of the 80s with players plodding down narrow fairways hitting 2 irons off the tee and hacking out of cabbage if they miss the fairway or green by 6 inches. Maybe another exciting flair player like Hale Irwin will emerge from that. Or maybe before it finishes I will bite off my arm and beat myself to death with the bloody stump to end the ordeal. [/sarcasm]

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

Your post is a fail.

Then it's hard to understand how you can think this. Actually, now I remember other posts by you. Makes sense.

And, no, I didn't know you've played links - how would I? I did assume you hadn't, though, due to the ignorance you displayed about it.

Your post is a fail.

Then it's hard to understand how you can think this. Actually, now I remember other posts by you. Makes sense.

And, no, I didn't know you've played links - how would I? I did assume you hadn't, though, due to the ignorance you displayed about it.

You were the ignorant one, declaring I didn't play links golf, since I in fact have.

You are arrogant to declare what opinions one must have about one topic.

You are quite rude overall.

Your post was a failure. An epic fail. You made one of the most ignorant posts, literally, ever seen on this site. And your resorting to insinuating things about the quality of my posts and the aforementioned ignorance both show the use of sophomoric rhetoric when you have not the capacity to respond to something with a well-constructed thought devoid of assumptions, personal insults, and the like.

You are very mean. You are very intolerant of people you disagree with. Your personal insults are aggressive and concerning for many reasons. I do wish you a happy experience with your continued participation in this discussion forum and encourage you to show respect for others, civility, and respond to topics instead of being unkind to fellow posters.

There is a difference between posting about topics that people disagree with, and posting about posters (which usually ends up showing ignorance and reflecting poorly on the poster, as it did in your case).

Wait, my opinion is rude and yours is fine? It's rude to disagree with you?

I said you're wrong, never said you are bad, or mean, or anything. And I never said you hadn't played links golf.

Pot, meet kettle. I'm sorry you can't tolerate opinions different than yours. I never resort to name calling. I can call your ideas wrong without it getting personal.

I think you're wrong, and not by a little bit. But that doesn't mean you are justified by getting personal. Calm down dude. Who cares what I say anyway? Come to Chicago, we can have a beer and talk about it. But lay off the faux outrage.

Cmon guys don't derail into some lame schoolyard argument.

Eat a weed gummi, drink a Chicago beer and enjoy the golf ?

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Cmon guys don't derail into some lame schoolyard argument.

Eat a weed gummi, drink a Chicago beer and enjoy the golf

Lager or ale? One should only drink ales during the U.S. Open.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Wait, my opinion is rude and yours is fine? It's rude to disagree with you?

I said you're wrong, never said you are bad, or mean, or anything. And I never said you hadn't played links golf.

Pot, meet kettle. I'm sorry you can't tolerate opinions different than yours. I never resort to name calling. I can call your ideas wrong without it getting personal.

I think you're wrong, and not by a little bit. But that doesn't mean you are justified by getting personal. Calm down dude. Who cares what I say anyway? Come to Chicago, we can have a beer and talk about it. But lay off the faux outrage.

You pretty much directly implied I hadn't played links golf (completely ignorant). You then said because I had I couldn't possibly have the opinions I do (arrogant/close-minded).

You then implied that you understood what you characterized as an impossibly-incomprehensible opinion because you've read my other posts (indicating you think they are all non-sensical).

I don't care if you disagree with me. However, it is incredibly rude to make insinuations about the quality of another poster's post.

Ignorance, arrogance, rudeness: if you're going to shell it out, expect that some unwelcomed comments regarding your post will be returned in your direction.

You could have said something like (in the post that I shouldn't comment because I haven't played links golf):

"Well, I strongly disagree with this. I don't know if you have played links golf or not, but i would think from my experience playing links Golf and Erin Hills that much of what you said would be disagreed with. [and then you could further articulate your thoughts like...] "I think many people familiar with Wisconsin's countryside would probably know that unlabeled pictures of the course are definitely not taken of anywhere in the British Isles, and I think most who have played both Erin Hills and links courses would tell you that very very little similarities between them exist."

A post worded like that would have been respectful, and would not have made assumptions about where a poster has and has not played golf.

Now who is telling who how to behave or what to think?

Believe what you want - YOU are the one telling ME how to act.

Peace.

P.S. find myself really rooting for Fowler. Maybe it's the Packers bag...go Pack!

Edit again: now also rooting for Matsuyama - wrx will implode if he wins the us open - jingoism will reign and subtle racism will predominate. Just want to read the posts. Plus dude is really good.

Now who is telling who how to behave or what to think?

Believe what you want - YOU are the one telling ME how to act.

Peace.

I not telling you how to post; I'm giving you an example of how you could have communicated your disagreement in a way that is both respectful, and lacking assumptions which are now established as false.

And I'm reminding you of how the time and content of your posts was perceived as rude by me.

And yes, I'm calling a couple of your posts ignorant because they made assumptions which are factually-incorrect. How a place looks is a matter of opinion. Where someone has played golf is a matter of fact.

It was my opinion average person would have to on acid to not see any similarities in how Erin Hills Course/property looks like something in the British Isles. That's a general opinion not directed at any specific poster. Your response was that A POSTER (me) HAD NOT PLAYED LINKS GOLF AND THEREFORE SHOULD NOT COMMENT. You took your response to my post from discussing something (Erin Hills) and implied both that I hadn't played links Golf and shouldn't post.*

I apprised you of the fact I had. Did you feel a little silly that you thought I hadn't played real links golf when I had?

*so in fairness, you opened the door for someone suggesting to you how you could have posted and commenting on their opinion of how you did post, and may be well-served to post in the future (which is not even as bad as saying somebody should not post, regardless of the reason).

What will it take to shut you up?

Exactly the core of the problem. You can't help yourself; you can't maintain civil and constructive dialogue. I will not hold it against you as clearly there is a difference in communication styles between us.

But if the quoted post above is how you feel then might it not be best to not reply to the post I am typing?

If saying yet another time that a should "shut up" (classy) will make you feel better, then please do.

:-). Smile; it's Friday! Are the ice cream trucks out? I think DJ, JD, and Rory need some ice cream.

If I was a pro going to play a U S open i would take one look at the course if the rough was to long or fairways to narrow I would tell the PGA to stick their course and let someone else take my place. I bet Hogan and other great golfers never played on courses where the fairways were very narrow and grass up to their arse long. you can see why golf is loosing players when they see a course like this on TV they must think every course is the same. what is this course like for the members and any other course that hosts a major i would like to see pro golfers play golf . who cares if they win by -20 or more.

If I was a pro going to play a U S open i would take one look at the course if the rough was to long or fairways to narrow I would tell the PGA to stick their course and let someone else take my place. I bet Hogan and other great golfers never played on courses where the fairways were very narrow and grass up to their arse long. you can see why golf is loosing players when they see a course like this on TV they must think every course is the same. what is this course like for the members and any other course that hosts a major i would like to see pro golfers play golf . who cares if they win by -20 or more.

photos-us-open-controversies-07.jpg?w=560

Hogan hacking it out of the rough in the US Open playoff at Olympic in 1955. Which was not as bad as the wasp waisted fairways of Oakland Hills in 1951.

The course is set up by the USGA, not the US PGA Tour (or the PGA).

If only we could Google about Hogans era to see if that bet is worthwhile. Tell you what, I'll take your bet - we can let a poll thread determine the winner.

And, just so that I don't offend, this is merely what I think and in no way do I state, expressly or implicitly, that the only acceptable way to think is the same way I do. You may not agree with me and that's ok. I take no responsibility for the state of your, or anyone else's, state of mental acuity or sanity as a result of reading my thoughts. Your thoughts are valid - they exist in a space and that space is inviolable. You are safe here.

If only we could Google about Hogans era to see if that bet is worthwhile. Tell you what, I'll take your bet - we can let a poll thread determine the winner.

And, just so that I don't offend, this is merely what I think and in no way do I state, expressly or implicitly, that the only acceptable way to think is the same way I do. You may not agree with me and that's ok. I take no responsibility for the state of your, or anyone else's, state of mental acuity or sanity as a result of reading my thoughts. Your thoughts are valid - they exist in a space and that space is inviolable. You are safe here.

Is this what we've come to at GolfWRX? Disclaimers? :)

Apparently

Hogan hacking it out of the rough in the US Open playoff at Olympic in 1955. Which was not as bad as the wasp waisted fairways of Oakland Hills in 1951.

LOL

Also, explain how you loose members? Were they tight somehow?

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

LOL

Also, explain how you loose members? Were they tight somehow?

It's gotten to the point where if I type "losing" it feels like I've misspelled it.

I'm offended by both disclaimers and legal boilerplate.