US Open on links style courses - booo

bogeypro

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was a pro going to play a U S open i would take one look at the course if the rough was to long or fairways to narrow I would tell the PGA to stick their course and let someone else take my place. I bet Hogan and other great golfers never played on courses where the fairways were very narrow and grass up to their arse long. you can see why golf is loosing players when they see a course like this on TV they must think every course is the same. what is this course like for the members and any other course that hosts a major i would like to see pro golfers play golf . who cares if they win by -20 or more.

Narrow fairways? Not in this US Open. What are you watching?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Two days in and Erin Hills seems to be holding up well and providing a true test to the worlds best. Just look at the number of top 10 players to have not made the cut.

We have established by now that Erin Hills is not a links course, and nor is Pebble Beach for that matter. But i see what the OP is saying.

I think he USGA likes to use courses with a traditional design, like the Tillinghast courses of Bethpage, Winged Foot and Baltusrol. Erin Hills, despite the lack of trees, looks to have this feel.

I wouldn't want to the US Open to be played on a resort style course down in Florida.

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

You can call me biased because I live in the general area, but I'd rather see Erin Hills become in the rotation. It wont happen because it doesn't have the history, but i think it provides a fantastic test for the pros.. To be completely honest, however, I think the US Open should forget about the rotation and continuously play at new courses. Why give Pebble Beach or Torrey Pines the US Open when they already have tour stops? Plus, playing at the same courses give an advantage to veterans because the probably have played there in a major or other tournament before and have more experience with the course. With a new course, everyone has the same amount of homework to do on the course and everyone is on the same playing field with no prior experience at the course. Plus it makes each US Open that much more special and gives more courses a chance to hold the country's national championship which gives more people a chance to attend. People around Shinnecock next year who dont attend will just be like "its whatever, ill just go in a couple years, no big deal." Going to a new course would make each US Open more unique and would push more people to attend.

I like that the US Open is being held at venues that are more representative of our whole nation. Golfers everywhere enjoy seeing their region highlighted for such a high profile event. Great for the PacNW last year, great for Wisconsin, great for the USGA, great for golf.

Bad for stubborn old men, good for everybody else.

It sounds as if Bogeypro just likes US Opens to be held on tree-lined fairways. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I don't care what sort of course the US Open is played on as long as it is a great design made even tougher by a good set-up. I don't want the USGA to back down from its tradition of making the US Open the "toughest test" in golf. Call me perverse, but as a fan, I love to see the best players humbled by a very, very difficult golf course. I don't need to see that every week, but I sure don't mind seeing it once a year. Or twice a year, if the weather deteriorates (cooperates) at The Open Championship.

As for all this stuff about links and links-like and links style, why not have a US Open at a REAL links course like Bandon Dunes? It's a no-brainer to me even if it might pose some logistical problems. Treeless courses like Erin Hills are beautiful to look at but they lack the seaside feel, the special turf and the unusual weather challenges of true seaside links. Certainly, these first couple of rounds at Erin Hills would have been much different with 25-30 mph winds.. and much more fun to watch!

The basic problem of holding a U.S. Open at a real links course is the dependency on the weather to make the course tough. Bandon is designed to be playable in tough conditions, i.e. generous fairways and greens. We're seeing a bit of that at Erin Hills. Absent those conditions it would be a pushover for the pros. Isn't the weather in Bandon rather tame in mid-June?

I thought the tamest weather at Bandon was in Septemberish. Could be wrong though.

Bandon could never hold a PGA event. Not big enough, not long enough, not hard enough. Not nearly enough lodging either. There is nothing near Bandon. Tour pros would absolutely destroy those courses. Outside of Bandon Trails, they are mainly designed to be resort courses which are favorable for high cap ams to trudge around.

I was there February Superbowl weekend 2 years ago and it was 70* every day. Only sprinkled for 2 hours the entire trip. breezy but not not blustery

Firstly, as many others have said, this is not a links course. "Links" is so called as it is the land that links the land to the sea. Being a Brit, I don't view the USGA as trying to make Erin Hills compete with those courses (they aren't comparable), they're just producing a fantastic test of golf.

Below are the upcoming US Open venues.

Shinecock

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Country Club of Boston

LA Country Club

Pinehurst

Oakmont

Shinecock

So too much Links? Probably not...

I like that the US Open is being held at venues that are more representative of our whole nation. Golfers everywhere enjoy seeing their region highlighted for such a high profile event. Great for the PacNW last year, great for Wisconsin, great for the USGA, great for golf.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. The US has so many incredible courses to choose from, why not showcase some of them during the nation's premier event? Variety is good.

Having played in Scotland, I have not seen a "links" course in the US. Maybe links "style" here in Long Island there are a few but without the ocean it doesn't really feel the same. Plus no Gorse in the US. That stuff was brutal and on every course over there. Tall grass and "wind" (quotes are because a normal day over there is super windy over here) doesn't make it a links course in my opinion.

Bandon Dunes is true links, gorse included. The courses in the Sand Hills area of Nebraska are also true links, albeit with no gorse. Streamsong is very close.

I thought links courses were those built on the land linking the land and the sea - hence the name 'links '.

Isn't Nebraska a landlocked state?

Nebraska was once at the bottom of an inland sea. The Sand Hills area in northern Nebraska is basically 200 foot high sand dunes.

22.jpg

Looks very nice, though to be fair a lot of places were once under the sea (or ice), tens of thousands of years ago. I still don't think that makes them true links terrain.

It would be nice to see a tree or two at a US Open course once and a while.

Erin Hills has trees. Go to the home of golf in Scotland. No trees. The true challenge of golf is wind not trees. Trees suck.

Carnoustie has trees on a couple holes.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Said already Erin Hills is not a links style course

It is a link STYLE golf course by golf week golf magazine golf digest PGA Tour and even the Frick'n USGA.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

If I was a pro going to play a U S open i would take one look at the course if the rough was to long or fairways to narrow I would tell the PGA to stick their course and let someone else take my place. I bet Hogan and other great golfers never played on courses where the fairways were very narrow and grass up to their arse long. you can see why golf is loosing players when they see a course like this on TV they must think every course is the same. what is this course like for the members and any other course that hosts a major i would like to see pro golfers play golf . who cares if they win by -20 or more.

Here's Hogan at Olympic in '55 if you are interested. Don't worry though it's alright to be wrong

DCSqay7VYAAK-qM.jpg

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

It is a link STYLE golf course by golf week golf magazine golf digest PGA Tour and even the Frick'n USGA.

I get it, but if you've played links and also played Erin Hills, you would never say that.

Tee shots seem to play a bit like a links. Generous fairways with some mounding. Penal bunkers in play off the

tee, but not really pot bunkers. Very penal fescue if you make a mess of your tee shot, but nothing resembling gorse. Approach shots are traditional parkland. Green complexes are very elevated requiring you bring the ball in high with spin. No running it up for the most part. Greens very fast whereas links greens are more undulating and much slower.

I get it, but if you've played links and also played Erin Hills, you would never say that.

You're right probably but damn it's still a links style course.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Firstly, as many others have said, this is not a links course. "Links" is so called as it is the land that links the land to the sea. Being a Brit, I don't view the USGA as trying to make Erin Hills compete with those courses (they aren't comparable), they're just producing a fantastic test of golf.

Shinecock

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Country Club of Boston

LA Country Club

Pinehurst

Oakmont

Shinecock

Theres just so much wrong with that list, and I know it is official.. But Shinnecock twice?? Oakmont had it last year and gets it again. Pinehurst gets it YET AGAIN, Pebble Beach has the AT&T Pro-Am and gets the US Open a couple months later? I mean thats whats wrong with the list, a couple courses get the US Open continuously and its rare for other courses to get their chance to shine. And when they do, the close minded traditionalists make up an excuse to dismiss the course before the event has even started, because its not one of the traditional 5 courses..

Shinecock

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Country Club of Boston

LA Country Club

Pinehurst

Oakmont

Shinecock

Theres just so much wrong with that list, and I know it is official.. But Shinnecock twice?? Oakmont had it last year and gets it again. Pinehurst gets it YET AGAIN, Pebble Beach has the AT&T Pro-Am and gets the US Open a couple months later? I mean thats whats wrong with the list, a couple courses get the US Open continuously and its rare for other courses to get their chance to shine. And when they do, the close minded traditionalists make up an excuse to dismiss the course before the event has even started, because its not one of the traditional 5 courses..

Correct playing the national championship on some of the best, most historic and influential venues is actually a good idea IMO. I'd be more inclined to side with you if you offered alternatives rather than just bashing what I believe is a very strong list

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I see a central conflict arising out of the desire to maximize revenue. There are a lot of world-class golf courses in the U.S. that would not consider hosting a U.S. Open even if begged to do so. Similar logic to the PGA TOUR building all the TPC Stadium courses, hosting a USO is much different than being a golf course worthy of determining the best player in the world. The standard is actually to be a golf course that has the potential to determine the best player in the world that also has plenty of room to build a myriad of parking, bleachers, tents, and other sundries.

I imagine that Gil Hanse's job on renovating the North Course at LA CC was as focused on figuring out how to host an Open as create a great golf course.

I see a central conflict arising out of the desire to maximize revenue. There are a lot of world-class golf courses in the U.S. that would not consider hosting a U.S. Open even if begged to do so. Similar logic to the PGA TOUR building all the TPC Stadium courses, hosting a USO is much different than being a golf course worthy of determining the best player in the world. The standard is actually to be a golf course that has the potential to determine the best player in the world that also has plenty of room to build a myriad of parking, bleachers, tents, and other sundries.

I imagine that Gil Hanse's job on renovating the North Course at LA CC was as focused on figuring out how to host an Open as create a great golf course.

Gil Hanse at LACC was a restoration job that had nothing to do with "creating" a US Open venue. LA North has always been a great course way more than capable of hosting the US Open. The club has exactly the kind of infrastructure the USGA wants (South course provides plenty of tent space). The USGA had always tried to have them host but the club did not want the event. Now with a change in club leadership they want to show the course off.

Gil Hanse at LACC was a restoration job that had nothing to do with "creating" a US Open venue. LA North has always been a great course way more than capable of hosting the US Open. The club has exactly the kind of infrastructure the USGA wants (South course provides plenty of tent space). The USGA had always tried to have them host but the club did not want the event. Now with a change in club leadership they want to show the course off.

Okay. I'll take your word for it.

If Hanse didn't put any "stadium" designing into the North Course it will be very interesting to see how they handle crowd control.

I think a big part of the reason that Chambers and Erin Hills got a chance to host is their ability to functionally handle the event. Obviously the courses that have done it repeatedly have a plan, Pinehurst and PB as resorts tend to have a little more space available, so, we'll see in LA.

Stubborn semi-old guys like it fine!

Shinecock

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Country Club of Boston

LA Country Club

Pinehurst

Oakmont

Shinecock

Given that list, I would think the next Open goes to a non Pebble west coast venue, with a possible return to the midwest the year after or the next. If you like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay watch for those announcements.

I get that it may not be a "true" links style course...it is the US imitation of links golf...no trees, pot bunkers, tall heather like grass, large undulating greens, etc... Whatever happened to Baltustrol, Oakland HIlls, Inverness?

You mean like, um .... Oakmont?

Because Oakmont looks a lot like this place, now that they tore out all the trees .....

You're right probably but damn it's still a links style course.

If you're playing it through the air, as opposed to landing it short & running it on all over the place, it's not a links.

What it is, is a "minimalist, lay of the land" design which still calls on the players to play it through the air, in the fashion of the traditional US Open courses.