2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just FYI....ordered a G400 9* with Hazrdus yellow and was advised that it was in production yesterday and should ship out today. Ordered July 10.

Am considering the same set up. Did you test this combo? If so, how did it compare to stock shaft and the other tour shaft(s)?

Thanks!

Yes....no contest between it and the stock Alta shaft...other than they are both back weighted a bit. The Alta is a bit to soft for me even with a transition that is certainly not as aggressive as most. The Ping tour shaft is better and no complaints about those. I just liked the yellow better and got what I felt was a better result. What will be interesting is that I do have a Hzrdus Yellow "real deal" (the handmade version) at home that was actually given to me...and the one coming on the driver is machine made. Will do a comparison to see if there is difference between the two.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

Either it isn't that expensive a shaft or it's a made for Ping. But Ping didn't have a history of the made for stuff as they have no problem socking it to you if it isn't one of their tested shafts. The Mitsubishi Red Limited M+ 50 shaft that is a no charge shaft in a 917D2 driver is $275 in a G driver. Also probably reflects it is offered but not stocked, but that kind of upcharge is annoying. Interestingly enough that was a better shaft in that driver for me than anything they offered including up charge tour shafts..

I think it shows that graphite shafts are marked up a large amount. I bet the most expensive shafts out there don't cost more than $10-$25 to make.

You are probably correct. I remember the upcharge tour Graphite Design Shaft for the original Biggest Big Bertha was $100. It was produced for $7 and prior years it was in the Great Big Bertha for no charge, but they found an even cheaper shaft to replace the tour shaft and started sticking it to everyone that liked the tour shaft.

Regular G400? I'm pretty sure some folks on this site already got them. LST I understand but regular is strange

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

DDG just hit me up and mine is headed my way today or tomorrow. G400 with Ping Tour 65 S, but the hybrid still won't ship until September from what I was told.

:ping-small: G430 Max 9º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Rescue 19º | UST Recoil DART Hybrid 85H F4
:mizuno-small: Pro 243 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour
:callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

Anybody getting their LST orders?

I was quoted end of August, would love if it came early as I am playing in a small tourney "Open" on the weekend of Aug 19

Did my first full 18 today with mine, messed with the loft, finally settled on 11.5, nice apex, the stock stiff shaft as I said before is 44.5 D2 felt great, definitely hitting it further than my 2016 G, love the sound when you flush it, its more of a click sound I love it. And being retired navy sent in for my $30 rebate, all in all $369

This sure has turned out to be the most troublesome Wood launch in Ping history that I can remember. Aside from fairways and hybrids being delayed from the first day the demos showed up, now one of three models of the driver and numerous flexes in various shaft offerings are not available with no firm date. Wonder if they regret not staying with their old tried and true fall release schedule. August appearance, September demos and orders, followed by reliable October release and sale (always had my custom orders there on the first sale date

Will be interesting to see if they can beat the full Titleist iron and hybrid release with the full line up..

Same adapter. Which ticks me off more about the wait. I don't even need or want the shaft, not even sure my club builder is even getting a shaft with it. Just need the head...send it already.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

So will these be on shelves tomorrow? Got fitted for the LST 8.5 with Tour shaft in X and wondering if I'll be able to go pick one up at GG or another local big box. Thought about ordering but don't really want to wait and there seems to be a lot of uncertainty around everyone's LST orders for ship dates.

Short review: in my fitting I hit the G400, Epic SZ, M1 460 and the Ping clearly won out ahead of M1 and SZ in that order. With the G400 I had about 3-5 mph more ball speed (158) and spin was in the high 2k. My swing speed averaged about 107 and was getting 270ish carry and 280 or so total. Dispersion is what the big factor was on my end, averaged under 10 on about 20 balls. Hitting ProV1X in the fitting bay.

So will these be on shelves tomorrow? Got fitted for the LST 8.5 with Tour shaft in X and wondering if I'll be able to go pick one up at GG or another local big box. Thought about ordering but don't really want to wait and there seems to be a lot of uncertainty around everyone's LST orders for ship dates.

Short review: in my fitting I hit the G400, Epic SZ, M1 460 and the Ping clearly won out ahead of M1 and SZ in that order. With the G400 I had about 3-5 mph more ball speed (158) and spin was in the high 2k. My swing speed averaged about 107 and was getting 270ish carry and 280 or so total. Dispersion is what the big factor was on my end, averaged under 10 on about 20 balls. Hitting ProV1X in the fitting bay.

I've been told by a big fitter in North Carolina and now I'm in FL and was told the same thing. The LST's will not be put out (he actuall went in the back and confirmed they have no LST's) but the 400 and 400SFT will be out for tomorrow's release (actually putting on display tonight. I was told by both that they are not for sure of the actual date but sometime in mid to late August before they have their LST stock order to put out. Don't think anyone is getting a LST tomorrow or anytime soon. Rumors range from the face is to hot or manufacturing defects....but no one is really sure just a lot of rumors to this point.

Is anyone that normally plays low spin drivers going with the standard G400? I have been playing sub zero but thinking about the std version and just lofting down.

I've always had the standard G and now standard in the 400 and being 63 years old and playing 5900 yard tees and could get around with g400 and gap wedge I don't see any reason needing lower spin or better accuracy than getting now, I had mine made at ping with 44.5 " shaft. I actually play better going back to 6500 yard tees cause I'm landing ball same as was on forward tees.

If the LST head is too hot than can I pay someone to go dig through a dumpster in AZ for me?

If the heads are too hot (doubtful as in the past it has been too low a loft issues), you wonder about the demos in the fitting carts. Maybe that is why everyone here is getting 10+ yards over their present driver. Especially interesting since Ping only claime a ball speed increase that might squeeze out 2.5-3+ yards. If that is the case is it possible that these people with these very excellent distance gains are going to be annoyed when the conforming custom fit driver shows up? Can't imagine ping CTS testing every head (except for tour pros) so more likely a structural defect.

If the heads are too hot (doubtful as in the past it has been too low a loft issues), you wonder about the demos in the fitting carts. Maybe that is why everyone here is getting 10+ yards over their present driver. Especially interesting since Ping only claime a ball speed increase that might squeeze out 2.5-3+ yards. If that is the case is it possible that these people with these very excellent distance gains are going to be annoyed when the conforming custom fit driver shows up? Can't imagine ping CTS testing every head (except for tour pros) so more likely a structural defect.

Bingo!!! I was thinking the same thing as I went to PGASS and went through a decent fitting. I was about 7 yards longer with significant increase in ball speeds over my 2017 M2. The way we maximized my numbers were a significant increase in launch and slight increase in spin which got me a few more yards in carry, about the same roll but much better dispersion. When I got to thinking about the delay I wondered if this was all from an illegal driver. But then I remembered I did try the 10.5* regular G and it wasn't close to being right and I was hitting it along side my M2 distance without dialing it in. I'm hoping this wasn't the case but I am getting the 9* regular G anyway now.

Bingo!!! I was thinking the same thing as I went to PGASS and went through a decent fitting. I was about 7 yards longer with significant increase in ball speeds over my 2017 M2. The way we maximized my numbers were a significant increase in launch and slight increase in spin which got me a few more yards in carry, about the same roll but much better dispersion. When I got to thinking about the delay I wondered if this was all from an illegal driver. But then I remembered I did try the 10.5* regular G and it wasn't close to being right and I was hitting it along side my M2 distance without dialing it in. I'm hoping this wasn't the case but I am getting the 9* regular G anyway now.

Was your ball speed increased in the fitting or was it optimization that lead to the distance increase?

I've seen folks do the math on here before and even if the CT is 15 points higher that is still less than 5 yards if I remembered correctly (243 v 258 for example)

I went and tested this club last week, and couldn't believe the #'s I was getting on the Trackman. Decided to take my gamer back in the next day which was the G SF tec 10*. I was hitting 5 balls with each, then switching over to the G400 9* in the stock S shaft. My spin#'s dropped about 400-500, and was getting 10-15 yards more total. My swing speed also went up about 4mph. I've been playing this club on the course for about a week now. Borrowed the demo club I tested. I can say without doubt, it's the longest club I've ever hit with my swing. Before this it was the M1, but I couldn't keep that club in the grass. Needles to say, it's now in my bag. I can't wait for the woods, and hybrids to come out.