2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LST delayed on stock shipments till mid August. No affect on SFT or G400.

Same for my orders. Standard G400 with custom shaft just shipped today, but LST is saying 8/21 expected to ship along with the FWY & Hybrids. Crossover says 8/3. Building an all PING bag... haven't had an all PING bag since the Eye2 days. Pretty excited. :smilie_ping:

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Apologies for not reading the entire thread to see if someone has asked a similar question…

I demoed the 8.5* LS head on my HZRDUS Black over the weekend (I posted a review here on comment #23 if you care to see results: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1519032-ping-g400-ls-tec-review/). I will be ordering one for sure the first week of August. I will be ordering with a Hzrdus Yellow to compare with my Black. My question is, can anyone give me an idea of what weight I should request when I place my order to have an accurate swing weight between the two? I know the yellow is counterbalanced, requiring a heavier head, and the black is not. Or does anyone have an idea of what the swing weight may be on the 400 LS/Black combo without weighing? It’s a 63g cut down to play 44 ½”. I have no idea how to measure swing weight, so please forgive me for asking what might be an ignorant question. For some added context, I will order the Yellow to play 44 ½” with a standard NDMC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

bervin

If anyone is looking for a good price surprisingly the cheapest I have seen for shaft upgrades is TGW (go into custom spec tab, cannot do on mobile)

Didn't realize they did custom orders as I was looking on mobile. Went over to the PC and it shows a $45 up charge for the Aldila X-Torsion 60. Total is $444 for reference.

DI-6 and similar are listed as $231 up charge

Rogue Silver is $120

And on....

Wonder why the X-Torsion is less of an up charge? Any idea what the MSRP is on the shaft once it is released?

Rogue Silver $285.50 and DI is $379 from Golfworks.

They are cheaper on all upgrades whether it is Oban, GD or the Tour shaft... when compared to other retailers. Obviously still more expensive than eBay or BST but cheaper than FGUSA or B&M stores

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

If anyone is looking for a good price surprisingly the cheapest I have seen for shaft upgrades is TGW (go into custom spec tab, cannot do on mobile)

Didn't realize they did custom orders as I was looking on mobile. Went over to the PC and it shows a $45 up charge for the Aldila X-Torsion 60. Total is $444 for reference.

Rogue Silver is $120

And on....

Wonder why the X-Torsion is less of an up charge? Any idea what the MSRP is on the shaft once it is released?

They are cheaper on all upgrades whether it is Oban, GD or the Tour shaft... when compared to other retailers. Obviously still more expensive than eBay or BST but cheaper than FGUSA or B&M stores

Not true...TM GD shafts, for example, are a $200 upcharge.

Apologies for not reading the entire thread to see if someone has asked a similar question…

I demoed the 8.5* LS head on my HZRDUS Black over the weekend (I posted a review here on comment #23 if you care to see results: http://www.golfwrx.c...-ls-tec-review/). I will be ordering one for sure the first week of August. I will be ordering with a Hzrdus Yellow to compare with my Black. My question is, can anyone give me an idea of what weight I should request when I place my order to have an accurate swing weight between the two? I know the yellow is counterbalanced, requiring a heavier head, and the black is not. Or does anyone have an idea of what the swing weight may be on the 400 LS/Black combo without weighing? It’s a 63g cut down to play 44 ½”. I have no idea how to measure swing weight, so please forgive me for asking what might be an ignorant question. For some added context, I will order the Yellow to play 44 ½” with a standard NDMC.

bervin

Do you know what swingweight your G LS is? You can add swingweight to the order so they can match it to your current driver. They will just add a heavier sole weight or more goop to get it up to swingweight.

If you aren't sure just call PING customer service and give them the serial number by the hosel on the G LS.

I demoed the 8.5* LS head on my HZRDUS Black over the weekend (I posted a review here on comment #23 if you care to see results: http://www.golfwrx.c...-ls-tec-review/). I will be ordering one for sure the first week of August. I will be ordering with a Hzrdus Yellow to compare with my Black. My question is, can anyone give me an idea of what weight I should request when I place my order to have an accurate swing weight between the two? I know the yellow is counterbalanced, requiring a heavier head, and the black is not. Or does anyone have an idea of what the swing weight may be on the 400 LS/Black combo without weighing? It’s a 63g cut down to play 44 ½”. I have no idea how to measure swing weight, so please forgive me for asking what might be an ignorant question. For some added context, I will order the Yellow to play 44 ½” with a standard NDMC.

bervin

Do you know what swingweight your G LS is? You can add swingweight to the order so they can match it to your current driver. They will just add a heavier sole weight or more goop to get it up to swingweight.

If you aren't sure just call PING customer service and give them the serial number by the hosel on the G LS.

I am not sure of the swing weight on my G LS. I assume I could take it in to a local Edwin Watts and have that measured? If I call Ping, I am sure they can give me what the head weight is supposed to be – but I am sure there are manufacture allowances for variation and that doesn’t give me swing weight. I suppose I could use it as a starting point or point of reference for what I want the 400 head weight to be.

I am also curious, in general, about how much impact playing counterbalanced shafts has on swing weight anyway. I mean the stock Alta is a CB shaft, so in theory, wouldn’t you want a lighter (than stock) head for a non CB shaft like my HZRDUS Black?

I want to be knowledgeable on this and place my order correctly, but I am not sure I am really even asking the right questions… If only there was a quality fitter in the Pensacola area…

bervin

I am not sure of the swing weight on my G LS. I assume I could take it in to a local Edwin Watts and have that measured? If I call Ping, I am sure they can give me what the head weight is supposed to be – but I am sure there are manufacture allowances for variation and that doesn’t give me swing weight. I suppose I could use it as a starting point or point of reference for what I want the 400 head weight to be.

I am also curious, in general, about how much impact playing counterbalanced shafts has on swing weight anyway. I mean the stock Alta is a CB shaft, so in theory, wouldn’t you want a lighter (than stock) head for a non CB shaft like my HZRDUS Black?

I want to be knowledgeable on this and place my order correctly, but I am not sure I am really even asking the right questions… If only there was a quality fitter in the Pensacola area…

The Alta is CB because the factory length for that shaft is 45.75. If the shaft wasn't counter balanced (or head really light), the stock swing weight at that length would be super high. If you place a custom order at a more normal length of 44.5-45" Ping won't need a lighter than stock head...depending on the shaft, they may have to ADD weight to the head to get the swing weight correct in the 44.5" range.

^^So do you believe if I will be fine if I simply tell the salesman at Edwin Watts to order it 44.5" with the HZRDUS Yellow at the same D3 SW as advertised on the 45.75" stock with Alta CB. My concern here is that if I don't like the yellow as much as the black, I'll be going to put a non CB shaft (black) into a head that was specifically weighted for a CB shaft (yellow).

I guess buying an aftermarket weight kit would be the only solution to this?

bervin

Ping will measure swingweight of the finished driver the same way an Edwin Watts will. Because there are manufacturing tolerances on head weight, PING uses varying sole weights to dial in the exact swingweight at the end on the build process. Customer service will tell you what it was measured at (most likely D3 if you didn't specify on your order). There is no "supposed to be" value since it's up to the customer how "heavy" or "light" they want the club to feel. The default value is D3.

Counterbalancing allows for more headweight while maintaining the same swingweight (or how heavy the club feels to the player while in motion). They won't choose a difference head for counterbalanced shaft versus regular shaft. They will just put a heavier sole weight in the counterbalanced shafted head.

Also the shorter you go, the more weight you need to add since a shorter driver at the same head weight will have a lower swingweight.

I wonder if there is a delay related to XTorsion as well as LST heads

I emailed my rep - there is an issue with the LST heads. Good news is he said they expect it to be resolved this week.

Wonder what the issue has been with the LST heads...I've heard they're recalling those LST heads that are at retailers and will be released at a later date in August. Sounds like some kind of defect for sure.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Rogue Silver is $120

And on....

Not true...TM GD shafts, for example, are a $200 upcharge.

I was referring to the cost compared to other sites in relation to the G400 specifically

AD-DI:

TGW - $231

2nd swing - $310

Oban Purple:

$231 vs $310

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

^^So do you believe if I will be fine if I simply tell the salesman at Edwin Watts to order it 44.5" with the HZRDUS Yellow at the same D3 SW as advertised on the 45.75" stock with Alta CB. My concern here is that if I don't like the yellow as much as the black, I'll be going to put a non CB shaft (black) into a head that was specifically weighted for a CB shaft (yellow).

If you want to try to keep swing weight close to the same, without a weight kit, you would probably need to order the HZRDUS yellow at 45" and then have the Black at 44.5"

I just got my 400 G today CB Alta shaft stiff 44.2 D2 swing weight

bervin

Ping will measure swingweight of the finished driver the same way an Edwin Watts will. Because there are manufacturing tolerances on head weight, PING uses varying sole weights to dial in the exact swingweight at the end on the build process. Customer service will tell you what it was measured at (most likely D3 if you didn't specify on your order). There is no "supposed to be" value since it's up to the customer how "heavy" or "light" they want the club to feel. The default value is D3.

Counterbalancing allows for more headweight while maintaining the same swingweight (or how heavy the club feels to the player while in motion). They won't choose a difference head for counterbalanced shaft versus regular shaft. They will just put a heavier sole weight in the counterbalanced shafted head.

Also the shorter you go, the more weight you need to add since a shorter driver at the same head weight will have a lower swingweight.

Right. I knew they weren't going to use a different head. My real question is, "how do I accurately test the Black vs the Yellow in the same G400 LS head?" In order for the test results to be reliable, I need at least very similar swing weights.

If you want to try to keep swing weight close to the same, without a weight kit, you would probably need to order the HZRDUS yellow at 45" and then have the Black at 44.5"

Yes, I have considered this, but cutting down my drivers to 44.5" (from 45" - with two previous drivers now) has really provided a huge impact on my driving dispersion.

Either it isn't that expensive a shaft or it's a made for Ping. But Ping didn't have a history of the made for stuff as they have no problem socking it to you if it isn't one of their tested shafts. The Mitsubishi Red Limited M+ 50 shaft that is a no charge shaft in a 917D2 driver is $275 in a G driver. Also probably reflects it is offered but not stocked, but that kind of upcharge is annoying. Interestingly enough that was a better shaft in that driver for me than anything they offered including up charge tour shafts..

Either it isn't that expensive a shaft or it's a made for Ping. But Ping didn't have a history of the made for stuff as they have no problem socking it to you if it isn't one of their tested shafts. The Mitsubishi Red Limited M+ 50 shaft that is a no charge shaft in a 917D2 driver is $275 in a G driver. Also probably reflects it is offered but not stocked, but that kind of upcharge is annoying. Interestingly enough that was a better shaft in that driver for me than anything they offered including up charge tour shafts..

I think it shows that graphite shafts are marked up a large amount. I bet the most expensive shafts out there don't cost more than $10-$25 to make.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Yes, I have considered this, but cutting down my drivers to 44.5" (from 45" - with two previous drivers now) has really provided a huge impact on my driving dispersion.

Order the driver made to D3 with the black. When testing the yellow at 44.5" (don't go longer), go to your local store and have them measure the swingweight with the yellow shaft installed. Add lead tape right over the sole weight to bring it back up to D3 with the yellow.

If you end up liking the yellow better, call ping customer service. You can send the driver back to Ping with the yellow shaft and have them re-swingweight it with the heavier sole weight or just keep the driver with a little lead tape on it.

Can someone please save me from reading thru all these posts and tell me what is delaying the LST heads?? If G400 (regular heads) are ready to ship as scheduled, what delayed the LST?

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

Can someone please save me from reading thru all these posts and tell me what is delaying the LST heads?? If G400 (regular heads) are ready to ship as scheduled, what delayed the LST?

Quality control issues from what I read a few pages back. Not sure on the delay for the other driver heads, though. My preorder through Discount Dan's has a ship date of 9/5 and from what I've read in this thread and elsewhere that's about inline with other preorders.

:ping-small: G430 Max 9º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Rescue 19º | UST Recoil DART Hybrid 85H F4
:mizuno-small: Pro 243 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour
:callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

How long has Ping typically taken to fulfill custom orders after a driver's been released? Asking because if it's only a couple of week I'll just wait and order later. If it's 6 weeks or longer I might as well order it now.

Last time I custom ordered it took them over a month...Kept being told they were waiting on the shaft...Go ahead and order...

Just tested the 8.5* LST at Club Champion today. Unfortunately I had a case of the pulls today so I wasn't able to consistently beat my gamer.

That being said, I had my best results with the Oban Purple 04-S and the Fujikura Pro 73 X.

The crown is a little busy but it does sound a lot different than the G30.

How long has Ping typically taken to fulfill custom orders after a driver's been released? Asking because if it's only a couple of week I'll just wait and order later. If it's 6 weeks or longer I might as well order it now.

Last time I custom ordered it took them over a month...Kept being told they were waiting on the shaft...Go ahead and order...

Thanks...awesome profile pic too.

My order through DD came with an Aug 23rd ship date. 10* LST Kuro Kage. DD's told me yesterday they know nothing of a QC issue but a supply and demand issue as well as a possible delay with anything other than the stock shaft. We shall see

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

My order through DD came with an Aug 23rd ship date. 10* LST Kuro Kage. DD's told me yesterday they know nothing of a QC issue but a supply and demand issue as well as a possible delay with anything other than the stock shaft. We shall see

Yeah I emailed DDG today and was told they're behind on everything due to demand. Kinda sucks, but it'll be cool to get the G400 in my bag eventually!

:ping-small: G430 Max 9º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Rescue 19º | UST Recoil DART Hybrid 85H F4
:mizuno-small: Pro 243 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour
:callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

Order the driver made to D3 with the black. When testing the yellow at 44.5" (don't go longer), go to your local store and have them measure the swingweight with the yellow shaft installed. Add lead tape right over the sole weight to bring it back up to D3 with the yellow.

If you end up liking the yellow better, call ping customer service. You can send the driver back to Ping with the yellow shaft and have them re-swingweight it with the heavier sole weight or just keep the driver with a little lead tape on it.

I hadn't considered lead tape. Thank you for the suggestion. This is exactly what I will do. Genuinely appreciate you taking the time to help!

Getting fit tomorrow, putting the Epic up against it!

Look forward to this comparison, currently using Epic as well.

Just a quick little comparison.

Epic 9* stock HZRDUS (my gamer) vs G400 LST 8.5* stock shaft. Ball speed was up 2 and that's about it. Looks, feel and sounds really good! Hit it with the Atmos Red and gained some distance and the dispersion was better. Long story short im going back to continue the fitting in a week or so.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Just FYI....ordered a G400 9* with Hazrdus yellow and was advised that it was in production yesterday and should ship out today. Ordered July 10.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]