Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

I'm new to Ping - is it fair to say that the SF Tec is aimed at higher, slower swinging amateurs, the G400 is for 90-100 mph swinging mid handicappers, and the LST is for lower handicappers who swing over 100. I have a moderately positive AoA, so think the LST with Attas shaft would probably work best.

I've only hit the G in SFTec spec, and hit it well, but to my eye, very high. Although where I play is not windy, I would like the option to turn the loft down if required to flight the ball lower.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my experience with the G LS, I am leaning on the 8.5 and I know I will tweak it to little "+" to close the face a tad and match it to the KK dual core tini. I really liked the kk tini so I look forward to this next iteration. It'll be intersting to see how it will go against my current SZ/Atmos, that is one of the best combo I have ever had in my hands :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'm new to Ping - is it fair to say that the SF Tec is aimed at higher, slower swinging amateurs, the G400 is for 90-100 mph swinging mid handicappers, and the LST is for lower handicappers who swing over 100. I have a moderately positive AoA, so think the LST with Attas shaft would probably work best.

I've only hit the G in SFTec spec, and hit it well, but to my eye, very high. Although where I play is not windy, I would like the option to turn the loft down if required to flight the ball lower.

I think that's fairly accurate.

I got to hit the G400 9* turned down to 8* vs my current G LS at 8* today. With both playing at 8* and my 105-107 SS the current GLS was beating the reg G400 for me by about 5 yards with both very accurate. My G L's was spinning around 2000 and the G400 was around 2800 avg with its lowest at 2500 and a few 3000 in there. Great head for those looking for a little more spin but not good at all for me. SS was 2 mph faster in both test with the new heads.

When I hit the G400ls last week at 7.5 I was getting 1900 avg spin and more distance (15 yards and 5mph+ ball speeds) than my current set up and also 2mph SS inc. Obviously the LS is right for me and I believe most SS above 100 will see the LS more desirable while the 95 and under may prefer the reg G400. Just my guess but I'm not a fitter. Ping has 3 distinct models. One for the golfer who fights the slice SFT, the G400 for the player needing spin and max foregivness, and the LS for players who fight spinning it to much while still offering a very forgiving club but not quite the 400 level of moi.

I hit all clubs with my shaft fitted for last winter that has been great for dispersion and the shorting of the shaft to 44 3/4 has really helped with hitting the sweet spot 90% of the time. Good luck.

Hey boys, quick much needed update. Been talking to a fitting buddy, one of the best at a top place in the country, and you really need to go hit this rather than order unseen. Apparently for a number of people the standard head is actually spinning less than the LS, doesn't make sense but the standard head should be more forgiving and sound a little better, at least it was in the G line. Little pissed I ordered without hitting, I'm either going to jump on trackman asap

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I think you'll be fine swiz. Those Ping engineers are pretty smart. I hit the G400 just to satisfy my curiosity today and it was conclusive for me that the 400 spins quite a bit more than the LS.

I do agree if you haven't been fit for ping since the G30 release it is a good idea vs ordering blind but I guess this is what this site is for...to help people that are looking for data.

Hey boys, quick much needed update. Been talking to a fitting buddy, one of the best at a top place in the country, and you really need to go hit this rather than order unseen. Apparently for a number of people the standard head is actually spinning less than the LS, doesn't make sense but the standard head should be more forgiving and sound a little better, at least it was in the G line. Little pissed I ordered without hitting, I'm either going to jump on trackman asap

I have tried both and the regular 400 is definitely too spinny for me. Was hovering around 3k spin even on really good strikes.

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Swiz, common dude. you gonna make an assertion like that and start some WRX rumor? I mean you have to clarify what is being tested that is giving the data.

edit: for example if the numbers are being skewed because G400 9 degree heads are being hit up against G400 10 degree LST heads. if it's something along those lines, I don't see much news there.

swiz, common dude. you gonna make an assertion like that and start some WRX rumor? I mean you have to clarify what is being tested that is giving that data.

Didn't Crossfield's review also kinda show the same where the standard G was spinning less? I wonder if all of those had the same shafts/lofts/playing length/quality of strike?

swiz, common dude. you gonna make an assertion like that and start some WRX rumor? I mean you have to clarify what is being tested that is giving that data.

Didn't Crossfield's review also kinda show the same where the standard G was spinning less? I wonder if all of those had the same shafts/lofts/playing length/quality of strike?

He's a low spin guy and his shallow angle of attack doesn't always produce much lower spin with low spin driver heads. It's all relative and everyone should go get fit to make sure things are optimized for them.

I hit the G400 at my local golf shop last week and it was absolutely awesome! Loved the sound and the softer feel it produces and the standard version was every bit as forgiving as my G30. When I did miss the middle I found that the carry numbers were very similar and my dispersion wasn't nearly as wide as it was with the other drivers I was testing along side it (Epic SZ and M1).

This club is definitely going in my bag as soon as possible!

Swiz, common dude. you gonna make an assertion like that and start some WRX rumor? I mean you have to clarify what is being tested that is giving the data.

edit: for example if the numbers are being skewed because G400 9 degree heads are being hit up against G400 10 degree LST heads. if it's something along those lines, I don't see much news there.

Didn't mean to do anything like that. Just passing along info, which I'll admit I don't have the full picture. He told me how many players he's fit that spun the LS more, not how many were the other way. But the info comes from as good a source as you can get.

Here is a good review from a very reputable fitter in Michigan.

https://www.milesofgolf.com/ping-g400-review/

That would jive with what I was told, to not hit mine until I am able to test them both so I can swap if needed. I've hit the G30 and G line multiple times on trackman at Miles and have gamed the LS versions of both for 3-4 years, this would be abnormal from what I've seen last few versions where the LS was a clear winner if your chasing launch conditions on trackman.

https://www.milesofg...ng-g400-review/

That would jive with what I was told, to not hit mine until I am able to test them both so I can swap if needed. I've hit the G30 and G line multiple times on trackman at Miles and have gamed the LS versions of both for 3-4 years, this would be abnormal from what I've seen last few versions where the LS was a clear winner if your chasing launch conditions on trackman.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Too bad it was a** backwards for me but then again I've been drawing the LS for 3 years now and launch between 14-16. Funny thing about that article is they take a neutral G400 and defloft it and open the face to have more of a fade bias and he hits draws. The standard LS is draw bias for me at standard loft. I deloft to 8 and can still turn it over but mostly strait balls (I like them better than those draws and fades). Different strokes for different folks I guess but fun reading. Bet Scott is in the minority. I do agree get fit.

Gained 19 yards over the G LS at 9* when I went to the G400LS at 7.5 at my fitter (Continental Golf). Best of luck and hope things work out for you swiz.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Too bad it was a** backwards for me but then again I've been drawing the LS for 3 years now and launch between 14-16. Funny thing about that article is they take a neutral G400 and defloft it and open the face to have more of a fade bias and he hits draws. The standard LS is draw bias for me at standard loft. I deloft to 8 and can still turn it over but mostly strait balls (I like them better than those draws and fades). Different strokes for different folks I guess but fun reading. Bet Scott is in the minority. I do agree get fit.

Gained 19 yards over the G LS at 9* when I went to the G400LS at 7.5 at my fitter (Continental Golf). Best of luck and hope things work out for you swiz.

I definitely wasn't trying to start a panic or anything, just see guys I've talked to in past Ping threads doing the same thing as I am which is pre-ordering the LS without hitting them in a true fitting (GC at Golfsmith or PGASS doesn't count). I love my G LS so just ordered the exact same setup and figured I'd test my actual heads at some point against each other as well as see whats up on the course, might be a little more cautious now.

I definitely wasn't trying to start a panic or anything, just see guys I've talked to in past Ping threads doing the same thing as I am which is pre-ordering the LS without hitting them in a true fitting (GC at Golfsmith or PGASS doesn't count). I love my G LS so just ordered the exact same setup and figured I'd test my actual heads at some point against each other as well as see whats up on the course, might be a little more cautious now.

I understand, I was lucky enough to try it first. Let us know. I think you was just sharing intel, thanks to the both of you for the story and updates...kinda why I'm on the site.

Spin difference for me was significant. 1700-1800 LST to the 2300-2400 of the standard. If I were to game one I would without a doubt go with the higher lofted 10* LST and loft it down just a bit because it definitely achieves the lower spin/launch that it was designed to.

That being said I currently game the M1 440 and when hit side by side the averages were identical, my longest drive did come from the Ping LST but at the end of the day thats hardly a reason to shell out the coin for this. HOWEVER, if you are a lefty and longed for a M1 440 or similar club this should 100% be in your bag like yesterday. Fantastic club, and the first Ping club I could see my self owning.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Can't wait to try this out, as I already have the following Ping-tipped shafts:

Speeder 6.2TS

Speeder 6.3TS

Speeder 661 Evolution I, II (S and X) and III

Nippon Regio Formula B S65

(Yes, I'm a shaft-ho)

What are your thoughts on the 661 Evo II vs the others? I have been playing the 661 Evo TS and just picked up the Evo II in black with the thought of trying it in the LST head.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Can't wait to try this out, as I already have the following Ping-tipped shafts:

Speeder 6.2TS

Speeder 6.3TS

Speeder 661 Evolution I, II (S and X) and III

Nippon Regio Formula B S65

(Yes, I'm a shaft-ho)

What are your thoughts on the 661 Evo II vs the others? I have been playing the 661 Evo TS and just picked up the Evo II in black with the thought of trying it in the LST head.

The only extensive testing I've done is the 6.2 vs the Evo II. (FYI, there never was a Evo TS - if you have the white 661 it's a 661 Speeder TS, but no Evolution).

The 6.2 is much firmer across the board, and feels like you're getting a 1:1 input to output response out of it. The 661 Evo II (stiff) feels like I am able to load the tip and get a kick out of it, and in the process it feels like I'm taking advantage of leverage/stored energy. I just picked up an Evo II but in X as it really feels like the S is on the border of being too whippy.

Another way of putting it is that with the 6.2, I felt the need to swing harder; with the Evo II I feel the need to work on tempo.

Are most people who are ordering the lst going with the 8.5 or 10 degree?

I'm sticking with G400 standard model for now with the stock copper stiff shaft, as that is what I'm using in the newest G at 10.5 adjusted to 11.5 with the blue Alta. I had a G25 @8.5 years ago, it launched nice and high, but going to G30 and G I found did not have same launch thus why I'm going with more loft standard G400.

I'm going LST at 11*, I have a launch angle under 10* on average with a LTD Pro

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

LST has considerably less spin for me too. I went with the 8.5, adjusted with the small + to 9.1 and the tour 65 S shaft. My SS was 99 MPH, I'm 50 years young. Ball flight was slightly lower than the G, 10.5 I play now, with a slight draw. (I typically fade the G). Adding the small + closes the face a bit, and I loved seeing the lower, boring flight with a hint of a draw. Sound and feel were simply sublime.

Hello!

Had a chance to hit the new G400 yesterday with Trackman for about 15 minutes, here is my take.

My gamer is a fitted G30 10,5 head with an GD AD DI 6X shaft, I swing around 100-107mph.

I first warmed up as best I could, given the short window to test, the local Ping rep had just gotten the G400 line like 3 hours before the event.

I started with my gamer, G30, was getting a good distance of around 270yards and amazing smash of around 1,52 on centered hits. But as my tendency is to miss strike to the heel and have the ball wonder a bit too much to the right, had a few of those. But got a 5 decent shots in and got an average of that mentioned ~270 carry.

I wanted to test the G400 head in same setup, my own shaft and same loft. The driver looks a lot smaller at address, and also feels like it sits a bit more open. The black is not as dark as it used to be on the G30. The head feels a hell of a lot faster to swing! Almost like it's a swing weight or 2 lighter, was having a hard time on the transition from backswing to downswing since it felt so light. That was my only issue with the head, ok the crown is still a bit too crowded with all the flyturbodragontech hublaa but it is what it is. The dispersion was smaller for me! The driver was shorter overall but the dispersion was better! I hit one as off the heel as possible but it still went straight relatively well so I believe the biggest improvement will be the the added forgiveness.

Have no idea about the sound since I was in a hitting room hitting balls to an open range, I belive it will be a bit muted compared to the powerful sound of G30. Open space and proper gamer balls is the only proper test of sound to me.

Will have a demo out for a round or two after demo sets arrive later this month to shops.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x