Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

Finally got to hit a demo g400 LST with the HZRDUS 6.5 and I have to say I've never achieved numbers like the ones I saw on the monitors. And just for kicks I brought with me my current driver to do a side to side comparison.

Currently, I play the Nike Flex440 with a Kuro Kage dual core 60x which I thought is a decent driver, gets me about 265 total on a good day. I warmed up with it and sure enough I was in the 250s as expected. I picked up the Ping, still hitting in the same hitting bay, no one has touched the monitor, first swing 275! Hit another 282, another 280...whut!?!? Now I know I have take the numbers with a bucket of salt...but the sound alone got me sold. And truly, the ball just seems to explode off the face!

What really surprised me was how great looking the head is and how it sits. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but man I've never been so giddy! I can't decide on the shaft!!

Sounds like you need to get it with the shaft you tested. You've got proven gains with that combo... why chance it with a different shaft? It's possible that the shaft in your Nike driver is a poor fit and causing you to lose yardage.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DiscountDans sells Ping again, great folks to work with.

Placed my LST with HZDUS Yellow, hope combo works.

Seriously?

Are the HZDUS handcrafted? I'm very interested in this combo as well.

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

DiscountDans sells Ping again, great folks to work with.

Placed my LST with HZDUS Yellow, hope combo works.

Seriously?

Are the HZDUS handcrafted? I'm very interested in this combo as well.

Not handcrafted

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Tested my G 9* w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5 Handcrafted against the G400 8.5* LST on the same shaft. All testing done on SkyTrack launch monitor with Titleist NXT Tour balls. All numbers are averages of 10 shots.

Ball Speed

G -- 155

G400 -- 161

Clubhead Speed

G -- 106

G400 -- 110

Launch Angle

G -- 15.4

G400 -- 15.3

Spin

G -- 2605

G400 -- 2540

Carry

G -- 263

G400 -- 276

Total Distance

G -- 288

G400 -- 301

Overall the numbers were impressive in favor of the G400. Kind of surprised the spin numbers weren't lower but the SkyTrack isn't the most accurate on that front. Good enough for a head to head though. 13 yards carry over the driver I got fit at Ping for back in December is pretty impressive.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

I was fortunate enough to try the G400 normal and G400 SFT driver after work the other day at a Golf Galaxy near the office. The SFT Tec, 10.5*, had the stock stiff shaft and the G400, 9.5*, had the Tour X. Here are my first impressions after a few swings on their GC2:

Look: I love the shape of the driver much better than the previous G and G30. The head looks less pancake flat and is a little closer to the i drivers. Love the matte black finish as well. I am not the biggest fan aesthetically of the turbulators and dragon fly tech but they both have never really bothered me either. The stock shaft color change is a really cool trick as well. Overall, I like the look.

Sound: Wow! The hype about the sound was warranted. One of the best sounding Ping drivers I have ever hit. I loved the i25 sound and this sounded similar. Huge improvement.

Forgiveness: Really Impressive. My swing was all over the place but the distance on mishits was really impressive. Shot shape was not bad at all either. Half the shots I would have been in trouble (user swing error not club error) but the other half were playable or REALLY good.

Distance: Impressive. I am not the longest hitter by any means but I am not a short hitter by any means either. Shots were carrying on average 240 and on the good shots they were carrying 260+. One perfect swing and hit carried 281. Not impressive compared to some of the monsters here on WRX but I was happy.

Overall Impression: I left really impressed. For trying two drivers wearing my suit trousers, tie, dress shirt and barefoot it was really good. I would love to go through a fitting and have it go head to head with my current gamer. I could see it beating my gamer as well but I will just have to wait and see. I am a little bias to Ping, but I do think Ping did a great job.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Tested my G 9* w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5 Handcrafted against the G400 8.5* LST on the same shaft. All testing done on SkyTrack launch monitor with Titleist NXT Tour balls. All numbers are averages of 10 shots.

Ball Speed

G -- 155

G400 -- 161

Clubhead Speed

G -- 106

G400 -- 110

Launch Angle

G -- 15.4

G400 -- 15.3

Spin

G -- 2605

G400 -- 2540

Carry

G -- 263

G400 -- 276

Total Distance

G -- 288

G400 -- 301

Overall the numbers were impressive in favor of the G400. Kind of surprised the spin numbers weren't lower but the SkyTrack isn't the most accurate on that front. Good enough for a head to head though. 13 yards carry over the driver I got fit at Ping for back in December is pretty impressive.

awesome. Very similar numbers to yours and gains as well. +5 ball speeds +2 ss. +19 carry but my spin was down to 1900s vs 2300s. Same shafts as my SIG in both. Looks like the 400 is the real deal.

The other important note is accuracy was the same as previous clubs....very accurate and forgiving++++. Aswesome increase for you at 155 to 161 and SS increase.

Thanks for sharing.

I was fortunate enough to try the G400 normal and G400 SFT driver after work the other day at a Golf Galaxy near the office. The SFT Tec, 10.5*, had the stock stiff shaft and the G400, 9.5*, had the Tour X. Here are my first impressions after a few swings on their GC2:

Look: I love the shape of the driver much better than the previous G and G30. The head looks less pancake flat and is a little closer to the i drivers. Love the matte black finish as well. I am not the biggest fan aesthetically of the turbulators and dragon fly tech but they both have never really bothered me either. The stock shaft color change is a really cool trick as well. Overall, I like the look.

Sound: Wow! The hype about the sound was warranted. One of the best sounding Ping drivers I have ever hit. I loved the i25 sound and this sounded similar. Huge improvement.

Forgiveness: Really Impressive. My swing was all over the place but the distance on mishits was really impressive. Shot shape was not bad at all either. Half the shots I would have been in trouble (user swing error not club error) but the other half were playable or REALLY good.

Distance: Impressive. I am not the longest hitter by any means but I am not a short hitter by any means either. Shots were carrying on average 240 and on the good shots they were carrying 260+. One perfect swing and hit carried 281. Not impressive compared to some of the monsters here on WRX but I was happy.

Overall Impression: I left really impressed. For trying two drivers wearing my suit trousers, tie, dress shirt and barefoot it was really good. I would love to go through a fitting and have it go head to head with my current gamer. I could see it beating my gamer as well but I will just have to wait and see. I am a little bias to Ping, but I do think Ping did a great job.

281....that was a monster. 260+ is well above avg. Great quick review and thank you.

Need to hold off as Canadian pricing makes no sense. From what I can figure, priced about $100 high after converting USD/CAD. Does anyone remember if prices came down after initial launch last time around?

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Just had a chance to see the new drivers, but unfortunately wasn't able to test them out. They look terrific with a noticeably smaller head profile and the reflective paint on the shaft is a neat trick too. Can't wait to be able to try them out very soon. Much better looking in person than I originally thought.

Need to hold off as Canadian pricing makes no sense. From what I can figure, priced about $100 high after converting USD/CAD. Does anyone remember if prices came down after initial launch last time around?

I just saw that they are $650 Canadian @ golftown with the tour shaft, what is the price in the US?

$435 most places.

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

I just saw that they are $650 Canadian @ golftown with the tour shaft, what is the price in the US?

$435 most places.

Thanks, that doesn't quite add up to the $650 here in Canada

Too bad WRX doesn't have any 92-94 mph swingers who have tried these.

It's pretty hard to find anybody that hits it less than 280 here. I had to get a special posting exemption because I don't drive the ball over 220. :)

I hear you. I'm only a 230 carry guy and I had to get a special belt clip when I post so I could get past security..

My brothers! 88 mph and 225-30 carry when I'm fresh and fueled up! :)

I'm probably late to the party but can anyone confirm that the adapter from the G driver will work on the G400?

It does. Tested the G400 head and G head with the same shaft last night.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Too bad WRX doesn't have any 92-94 mph swingers who have tried these.

It's pretty hard to find anybody that hits it less than 280 here. I had to get a special posting exemption because I don't drive the ball over 220. :)

I hear you. I'm only a 230 carry guy and I had to get a special belt clip when I post so I could get past security..

My brothers! 88 mph and 225-30 carry when I'm fresh and fueled up! :)

I swing just under 110, but I only carry about 250...if you see the ball marks on my driver you'll know why

Just saw the G400 at golf galaxy and hit a few. Its a great looking club. really can't notice the 15 cc decrease in size.

I have ordered my new driver. Upgraded to the Copper X-Torsion shaft.

I have confirmed with Ping that the shaft length for the upgraded shafts is 0.5 inch shorter than the ALTA stock shaft.

By the way - Ping says it will be in stores on July 27 - but not to expect pre-orders being arriving until mid to late August.

Just saw the G400 at golf galaxy and hit a few. Its a great looking club. really can't notice the 15 cc decrease in size.

I have ordered my new driver. Upgraded to the Copper X-Torsion shaft.

I have confirmed with Ping that the shaft length for the upgraded shafts is 0.5 inch shorter than the ALTA stock shaft.

By the way - Ping says it will be in stores on July 27 - but not to expect pre-orders being arriving until mid to late August.

Yep I just ordered from DD and they confirmed BO until mid late August

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Just did a full bag fitting with PING, the G400 driver, hybrids, and fairway were unbelievable. I ordered a G400 LS Tec with hzrdus yellow shaft, I was 108mph swing speed and averaged 290 with it. I wanted to go lighter shaft with irons but I guess I have absurdly high spin rates, one of my 7 iron I blade shots were just shy of 10500, I have no idea why I'm spinning the ball so much with my irons and driver. I did wind up with the i200 coming from S56..

Did you get the fairways and hybrids? How did they compare to your current clubs.

They are phenomenal as with the driver, but I didn't order them. The 8/17 release date has me impatient, I'm thinking maaaaaaaaaaaaybe going with the current G, should be really similar? That way I save some $$ and get them with my just ordered driver/irons.

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11

Love all the distance claims with corresponding swing speeds. Sometime ago Golfwrx published an average carry and total distance for various swing speeds. All the big bombers should use that as a guideline before they publish their stories...

As always when it comes to driving distance with a new club FLDSAC..

Very good chance if people are seeing 10-20 yards longer than previous driver they weren't fit properly. Just doesn't happen with legal clubs.. not even Ping was claiming those increases with their big bombers..

UPDATE:

This afternoon, I was able to go to my fitter's shop and hit the G400 compared to my gamer (Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond, set to 9*, weight on high toe side, with an Aldila Rogue I/O 60X). I am not playing as much now a days (My wife and I welcomed our 3rd child last year) so I was looking for something more forgiving when I do get to go out and play. I really like my current gamer but it can be really hit or miss with regards to distance. Dispersion front to back can be as wide as 60 yards! I completely admit that this is user error but I am looking for something to help tighten the distance dispersion when I am off. My fitter did not have the full fitting package from Ping yet but he did have the the Ping Tour shafts. The driver he built for comparison was the Ping G400 LS Tec, 8.5* (Neutral), with the Tour 65S shaft. After a few warmups with my 7 iron, then 4 iron (also hit the Crossover against my S55-I was not impressed), it was time for driver. I did have athletic clothes and running shoes on this time so I felt I was more comparable to my golf attire than my suit and barefoot. I hit premium balls (Pro V1s and the 2017 Taylormade TP5) in an indoor Trackman. So here is my comparison from this initial head to head:

Look: My gamer does win out on looks. I love the shape of my Callaway and the matte black finish. To me, it is beautiful to look at address and that gives me confidence on the tee box. Although the G400 lost out on looks, it did not look bad and I really like the matte black finish. The more I looked at it, the more it started to grow on me too.

Sound/Feel: Apples and Oranges...but I enjoy both fruits. The Callaway sounds fantastic (another reason why it is my gamer) but the Ping sounded pretty good too. They were both different sounds but in all honesty I liked both. I said this earlier, but Ping did a great job with the acoustics. This was a draw to my ears.

Forgiveness: Ping G400 won hands down. Admittedly I snapped hook both my gamer and the G400 for the first few swings. I did figure some things out and that is when the Ping started to outshine my gamer.

Distance: I know Ping is not known to be the longest driver but I was curious before this test if it could keep up with my gamer. On perfect swings and contact, I have hit my longest drives ever with the Callaway. So those days when the moon, planet and stars align, the Callaway has given me other worldly distance. Today, it was a mixed bag (That mixed bag is typically what I bring to the course anyways). I hit a couple really good drives. The best 3 drives from the Callaway all carried in the low 280s. I had a few in the 270s and 260s. The rest were in the 240-250 carry range. Sadly, I admit I had a few in the 220-230 carry range...golf is humbling...and sadly, that is typically what I see on the course. So how did the Ping compare? Longest carry was 279 and the other longest carry distances were in the low 270s. I had more 260 and 250 carries. I did have a some 240 and 230 carries but that was as short as it got. So for distance, my gamer won easy...BUT the G400 did keep up...

Overall: This was interesting one for me. I really enjoyed hitting both. My gamer is my gamer for a reason and today's Trackman comparison showed why. In a typical round, I average to keep it in the fairway 50% of the time. 25% are playable (first cut in the rough or a clean shot to the green) and 25% are not good. I rarely hit it out of bounds but I would be lying to say it doesn't happen every now and then. What I love about my gamer is the performance. I have never been this consistent, or confident, from the tee box. I know my stats don't read all that fantastic compared to some of you but for a working, family man like myself, it's about what deserve based on how much I play and practice and I am ok with that (at the moment). My driver has allowed me many chances at Par and a couple of chances for some birdies each round. If I hit one of those crazy drives (and depending on the hole), I have actually had a couple chances for an Eagle here and there. So what do I not like about my driver? Those 220-230 yard carry drives that appear. And sadly, they appear more than once each round. I know that is user error but when those short drives appear, that is a good 30-40ard difference to the flag compared to a good drive and that just sucks. I am nitpicking here but I would love to game a driver that has more forgiveness AND tightens up the distance gap between the short and long drives. Based on what I saw today the Ping delivered exactly that. G400 was hands down more forgiving and the it did keep up with my gamer in the distance category. I had more drives that carried in the 250 and 260 range compared to my gamer and I actually hit a lot more fairways (well at least in Trackman). Another thing that I noticed is that I was able to swing the club easier as well. My swing speed was much more consistent with the G400. I don't have the fastest swing speed so I need all the help I can get to keep my swing at the top end of my speed range. I am not sure if it was the turbulators, the swing weight, etc. but I did notice that with the G400 something 'clicked' more often with my swing and I was able to do more with less effort compared to my gamer and that is ultimately what I am after. So my decision as of today is that I am holding off to trade my gamer immediately until I can hit the two side by side again. I try not to get caught up in the hype and make any sudden changes after one good day. If the results are the same again at a later date than I really have a decision to make. Also, I would like to see how the other upgrade shafts perform as well before pulling that trigger. That being said, the G400 was very impressive and I am even more excited than I was earlier this week when I first hit it. My gamer is in serious trouble.

This was a really long post, so I apologize for being so long winded. Thanks for reading.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Just got my delivery date of August 23rd. LST kk tini stiff @45" d3 digital loft 10.5. I would highly recommend Discount Dan's. Great people to deal with.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar