Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

I ordered an 8.5* LST with Aldila Copper shaft and a 9* standard head with another upgraded shaft on the same day. I am wondering if my decision was wise on the combination I used right about now... we'll see.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Estimated ship date of 9/5 for me ?. Ah well, it could always be worse!

:ping-small: G430 Max 9º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Rescue 19º | UST Recoil DART Hybrid 85H F4
:mizuno-small: Pro 243 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour
:callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

Estimated ship date of 9/5 for me . Ah well, it could always be worse!

Agreed, and good luck to you :smilie_ping: :smilie_ping: ! It's not like I'm going to banish them if they arrive in September.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

In a meeting with someone local today, I was told that the batch of heads sent to AZ did not meet the QC. Not sure if the story is true or if the story is cover for not meeting deadlines. If the story is true, seems a lot of manufactures are having issues with QC although Callaway might have been a QA or MX politic problem. Not sure TM ever really got back on track with its QC problems.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

Is it true that Ping isn't doing digital loft for the LST heads?

False, WRX told me I could get a 10.9* no problem

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I'm interested in hearing feed back from some higher handicappers with slower swing speeds. I have the G regular flex and average about 235 off of the tee. Went into GG yesterday to try out the same setup. Looks are nice and subtle for people who prefer no distractions . I prefer the bright blue shaft and blue crown of the G. Sound was amazing. Felt like I was crushing every shot. My results were around the same as my G driver. So the question here is are only higher swing speeds benefitting with the increased speed and distance of the G400? I am yet to see a review of anything other than the LST drivers and ones which upgraded shafts.

I'm interested in hearing feed back from some higher handicappers with slower swing speeds. I have the G regular flex and average about 235 off of the tee. Went into GG yesterday to try out the same setup. Looks are nice and subtle for people who prefer no distractions . I prefer the bright blue shaft and blue crown of the G. Sound was amazing. Felt like I was crushing every shot. My results were around the same as my G driver. So the question here is are only higher swing speeds benefitting with the increased speed and distance of the G400? I am yet to see a review of anything other than the LST drivers and ones which upgraded shafts.

I'm an 8, SS about 98-105 first I have to ask, Blue crown? Mine is flat black (G driver), but I do have blue shaft. I played 9 holes with standard G40010.5 stiff stock shaft, I know one hole I carried 260, but on back 9 I played my G. My partner said he saw no difference in distance thought I'm wasting my money, but one thing I noticed was the slightly smaller head allowed me to hit the center of face more thus I had better accuracy along with distance. Now you may want to try this! I recently bought the G stretch 3, I'm treating it as a mini driver, I actually hit it further than my G driver, so try the G400 stretch, then you have a wood that is really accurate off tee and fluffier fairways, I will says it a fader off tight lies.

Was told yesterday by the rep. all orders (custom and stock) with LST heads are now delayed until September if everything goes right with replacement heads.. I guess they had enough that passed QC for demos and Tour, but a significant amount of heads were scrapped. As a result they need another shipment before they can supply all retailers with stock and custom orders. Sounds like they can't just phone supplier and say you shipped out of spec material, overnight us replacements..

Probably not thrilled missing the original release date, but since the G400 will be available and likely the larger volume piece they probably aren't devastated..

Was told yesterday by the rep. all orders (custom and stock) with LST heads are now delayed until September if everything goes right with replacement heads.. I guess they had enough that passed QC for demos and Tour, but a significant amount of heads were scrapped. As a result they need another shipment before they can supply all retailers with stock and custom orders. Sounds like they can't just phone supplier and say you shipped out of spec material, overnight us replacements..

Probably not thrilled missing the original release date, but since the G400 will be available and likely the larger volume piece they probably aren't devastated..

So did they tell you why they failed qc? For example, if lofts were below stated there are some of us who might actually really like one of those heads. I'm still launching at 15 degrees in the LST 10 head, but I can't go to the 8.5 because I need the open clubface to avoid hooking the p!$$ out of the ball and 7.5 is way too low. So, for example, if the LSTs came in at 9.5 instead of 10, it might be about perfect...

I have a question. Will the 445 cc head be as forgiving as the 460 cc head for a 18 handicap?

When you put the club down you really don't see the size difference compared to my G 460, it's not like it's super small I have a hard time believing it was even smaller till I put them side-by-side I found I had the club face better with the smaller head if you can hit a fairway wood you'll probably like this. The first couple of times I hit it the ball went to the right that's because the club felt lighter but I believe the counter balance shaft causes that because it's the same weight as my G driver, once I got used to it I hate it just as good or better as my club.

I have a question. Will the 445 cc head be as forgiving as the 460 cc head for a 18 handicap?

The answer is "it depends." The 445cc head will be easier to square up due to less mass. The CG is lower than even in the G Driver it's replacing. The effective MOI of the entire driver is said to be over 9200, making it easier to get airborne. The face is forged so the ball will come off faster than other non-forged faced drivers. So in theory yes. But you have to get fit. Our Pro got in the G400. He says they are the absolute truth. So for me, I'll be taking my Yonex shaft and dropping it into the G400, hopefully in August.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

So did they tell you why they failed qc?

In the big picture it is of little benefit to a manufacturer to discuss a quality control issue with an unreleased product in any detail.

The message will almost always be that the products were not up to their standards and they will not put them in customers' hands until they are.

Going into particulars just invites all kinds of scrutiny about the impacted area once the product is available.

Ping may share details with their largest customers at the top level, but for someone to share that with to us would probably be considered a worse offense than leaking photos before the preordained date. It's likely that only the senior people involved with those large accounts are aware of the specific problem.

Now for product already out there I'd expect them to be more forthcoming. For example, the QC issue they had with some putters a couple of years ago, they fully described the problem.

I can hit a fairway wood but not well off a tee. I was just wondering if I should get a G driver and save myself $100.

I'm not one who needs the latest and greatest.

Well to tell you the truth I really loved my G 25 and I could easily go back to that but I have the original or should I say the newest G but waiting on the 400. I no longer actually have my G 25 but I had it in an 8 1/2° loft and that hit higher than any 12° club I ever had and you can save a lot of money if you wanted to move on that and you get plenty distance .

I hit it today at a fitting and find it to be very forgiving. My smash factor was much better with this vs my 2016 m2 and the epic. Ball speed was better because of that. I hit it best with an aldila nv kxv green but I'm going back when the fitter gets more shafts. The tour 65 felt the best to me but had too much spin on some shots

I only hit the lst version though. It is worlds better than the the g30 lst i had a few years ago in the feel/sound department

Went into GG yesterday to try out the same setup. Looks are nice and subtle for people who prefer no distractions . I prefer the bright blue shaft and blue crown of the G. Sound was amazing. Felt like I was crushing every shot.

Blue crown?
must have been hitting a G LE fitting head on the old Alta shaft. :D

So did they tell you why they failed qc? For example, if lofts were below stated there are some of us who might actually really like one of those heads. I'm still launching at 15 degrees in the LST 10 head, but I can't go to the 8.5 because I need the open clubface to avoid hooking the p!$$ out of the ball and 7.5 is way too low. So, for example, if the LSTs came in at 9.5 instead of 10, it might be about perfect...

You are probably on the right track. The only reason I was ever given about woods being scrapped was the lofts were lower than designed. That was years ago pre internet rumor diarrhea. Now they only say the product is delayed. Serves no purpose to discuss reasons with customer or for that matter the retailer. Too many details I imagine would just start unfounded conclusions on sites like these.

One thing I've noticed over the years is ping will never sell a wood that digitally measures lower than the marked loft. Those heads are all scrapped. Never could get an answer if they send or save some of those for tour players

You are probably on the right track. The only reason I was ever given about woods being scrapped was the lofts were lower than designed. That was years ago pre internet rumor diarrhea. Now they only say the product is delayed. Serves no purpose to discuss reasons with customer or for that matter the retailer. Too many details I imagine would just start unfounded conclusions on sites like these.

One thing I've noticed over the years is ping will never sell a wood that digitally measures lower than the marked loft. Those heads are all scrapped. Never could get an answer if they send or save some of those for tour players

Never say never. My Ping G30 was custom WRX order digitally lofted to 9.5* and it was a stamped 10.5 head. However, All of my other digitally lofted ping clubs did have a lower stamped loft marked on the head than what I requested e.g. Requested 9.5 and got an 8* marked head.

I'm an 8, SS about 98-105 first I have to ask, Blue crown? Mine is flat black (G driver), but I do have blue shaft. I played 9 holes with standard G40010.5 stiff stock shaft, I know one hole I carried 260, but on back 9 I played my G. My partner said he saw no difference in distance thought I'm wasting my money, but one thing I noticed was the slightly smaller head allowed me to hit the center of face more thus I had better accuracy along with distance. Now you may want to try this! I recently bought the G stretch 3, I'm treating it as a mini driver, I actually hit it further than my G driver, so try the G400 stretch, then you have a wood that is really accurate off tee and fluffier fairways, I will says it a fader off tight lies.

Thank you for the reply. Interesting information. I have never even thought about using the stretch wood off the tee. So it is more forgiving and goes further off the tee? I am pretty consistent with my driver just not very long. But if you think it will help with more distance I may have to give a try to the G400 stretch.

The answer is "it depends." The 445cc head will be easier to square up due to less mass. The CG is lower than even in the G Driver it's replacing. The effective MOI of the entire driver is said to be over 9200, making it easier to get airborne. The face is forged so the ball will come off faster than other non-forged faced drivers. So in theory yes. But you have to get fit. Our Pro got in the G400. He says they are the absolute truth. So for me, I'll be taking my Yonex shaft and dropping it into the G400, hopefully in August.

LOL don't you mean 5200?

LOL don't you mean 5200?

No. Effective MOI is rated over 9200.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Tried the LST yesterday. Pretty solid club. I actually liked the compactness of the head, but there is just a ton of stuff going on with the crown. Too much for me personally. Carry was right on average of what I would expect. Everything else was good. Pretty loud for my liking as well. More of a cracking sound then what I prefer. I have always liked more of a solid thump. If I wasn't in love with my EPIC and was looking for a new driver I would definitely consider it.

AVGs: 110 SS / 265 carry / 2550 spin with a tour AD GP 6X

LOL don't you mean 5200?

No he meant 9200 which is the sum of the vertical and horizontal MOI. Callaway created the total MOI as a marketing ploy for the epic. It's completely irrelevant as vertical MOI is pretty much useless. With that being said the g400 is said to have the highest horizontal MOI measurement.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW