TAYLORMADE Iron Authenticity (pics), your thoughts?

duffing_daily

Aloha All,

Purchased a set of speedblade irons on eBay and was able to compare to my brothers set he bought new a few years ago from Roger Dunn. There are some striking differences and wanted to see if you think this is normal variation for different lots / production times / locations.

1. Grips are different, no blue cap. Also TAYLORMADE symbol a little smaller font on new set.

2. Iron numbers are slightly different sizes

3. Speedpocket more inconsistent on the new set

4. Serial number font slightly smaller on new set

5. Back of iron , where TAYLORMADE is, slightly lighter color on new set. Also the old irons have a tightly machined "dimple" on the bottom right of the T that is non-existent in the new irons

6. Blue color of 85 grams on the new is darker, which could be age?

The box looks ultra legit, UPC codes and stickers match up. The only odd thing is I bought a 4-PW set but the box says it comes with an A wedge but that is scratched off with sharpie...idk when or why the box was opened to remove this.. Seller has assured these are legit, wanted to get your thoughts on the descrepencies.

Sorry for the trouble and really appreciate your thoughts!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serial # check won't do you much good.

These look legit to me. Source: I owned a set that came custom with KBS Tour straight from TMAG and grips didn't have the blue caps.

Other differences you point out can be manufacturing tolerances/different factories. And obviously repacked to sell at a lower price point without the A wedge.

You're being really nit picky IMO. Who did you purchase from?

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

These look legit to me. Source: I owned a set that came custom with KBS Tour straight from TMAG and grips didn't have the blue caps.

Other differences you point out can be manufacturing tolerances/different factories. And obviously repacked to sell at a lower price point without the A wedge.

Serial # will provide a definitive answer. I'd bet fake if forced to wager.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Taylormade won't do anything with the serial #. You give them. It's a dead end.

There is no definitive way to know if these are fake or not. I'm guessing they are real, and the differences amount to them being Asian spec irons. If you look at the box, there are Asian stamps on the end. They wouldn't come in that box from Asia if they were from US stock.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

There have been a lot of threads about ksouth on eBay and whether his stuff is authentic. Everyone of the threads ended with his stuff being legit. I would say you are safe.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

There is no definitive way to know if these are fake or not. I'm guessing they are real, and the differences amount to them being Asian spec irons. If you look at the box, there are Asian stamps on the end. They wouldn't come in that box from Asia if they were from US stock.

I haven't dealt with TM, but I have called PING with serial # verification requests for ebay purchases on multiple occasions. Each time they've verified that the serial # is in their system and provided the specs that the club(s) were built to. If it's a made up serial #, then it's very likely that it wouldn't be in the manufacturer's database, which means they're very likely fakes.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

You either have a lot of money, or you don't know what you're talking about. Or both. Definitely the latter though.

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

^ agree having dealt with ksouth, but then TM has some explaining to do, especially looking at the sole slot. That's a design element (not cosmetics) and shouldn't vary like that.

This is exactly what I was thinking. That sole slot is horrible. I know everyone keeps saying they're legit because they're from Ksouth but why is it that the authenticity of Ksouth's clubs keep coming into question? Does he deal with a lot of "revisions" like Glaze is saying?

Confirmed these are from ksouth. With the research I did on here I felt confident buying the set and definetly lean towards them being authentic... but these differences tripped me out. I haven't run the serial number because they'll just want me to send the clubs in. If these are fake then I'm sure they'll check out on paper.

I wasn't aware that TM had different specs for Asia's market and a unannounced "2.0" version makes sense. Like others mentioned I'm really interested in finding out why TAYLORMADE alows variations this drastic that I feel would affect performance. I was looking forward to this set and if is use the irons I cannot return so I'm in a tough spot.

You either have a lot of money, or you don't know what you're talking about. Or both. Definitely the latter though.

I'd wager against your reading comprehension skills.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I haven't dealt with TM, but I have called PING with serial # verification requests for ebay purchases on multiple occasions. Each time they've verified that the serial # is in their system and provided the specs that the club(s) were built to. If it's a made up serial #, then it's very likely that it wouldn't be in the manufacturer's database, which means they're very likely fakes.

Ping and TM respond to this request differently.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Good to know. Another reason PING >> TM.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

UPDATE: As TM cannot given definitive answers without inspecting I was able to get a customer service to review the photos and give his opinion:

"I definitely see what you’re saying. The speed pocket looks off to me and the serial number is definitely different. No doubt there can be cases where a set can be manufactured a little off with things like the speed pocket and serial number but considering how noticeable it is that really looks counterfeit to me."

It is very possible this is just a sketchy batch for TM but I will be returning them to err on the side of caution. I appreciate everyone's help and wish I had the means to send to TM for actual verification. If, by chance, these are precision fakes it is extremely unlikely the seller is aware.

Mahalo!!

*these requests

http://golfclubbrokers.com/blog/counterfeit-taylormade-speedblade-iron-set/

Interesting write up. I might be leaning towards fake. I know ksouth has a good name here on but there has been a lot of smoke over the years.

His pictures do look almost exactly the same as the fakes in this article, especially the thinner speed slot. I have always been hesitant to buy anything from Ksouth due to all the accusations over the years on here but they always came back as legit. I would certainly be even more hesitant now.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

They do look strange. . I've seen some of the different "2.0" versions that Taylor made puts out at retail stores. Usually a year or two after their original release when they are marked down but still relevant- they often look cheap and just sort of "clunky" but resemble the originals enough to get sales... In my mind TM basically makes fakes of their own stuff ( if that makes sense).. Taylor made already put out a 2.0 of the speedblade though. It was called the speedblade HL. No speed slots, No satin finish. They looked like a set you would get from a starter box set. So to see a 3rd variation would concern me. Just my opinion

Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno all will verify serial numbers and glad to do so. TM has a horrible tracking system and will not even check. Callaway is a little better. They will check but must inspect before authenticating. The problem with both TM and Callaway is that they sell so many clubs through so many different outlets, they just can't keep up. Ping and Titleist have very strict sales policies and very tight controls.

^ agree having dealt with ksouth, but then TM has some explaining to do, especially looking at the sole slot. That's a design element (not cosmetics) and shouldn't vary like that.

Nothing wrong with the pocket. It's an overrun of the filler.

Clubs and box look legit.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I wish I had something to add to the discussion about the irons, unfortunately I don't, however I will say that due to this thread I saw the name ksouth9 posted and I haven't checked his eBay items recently. Thus, I looked up what he had for sale and he had 6 dzn b330 for sale that was ending in 3 minutes... Needless to say there are 6 dozen b330's on their way to my doorstep for $120 bucks. So I have to thank you OP! Lol

Nothing wrong with the pocket. It's an overrun of the filler.

Clubs and box look legit.

What is it about the clubs that look legit? Every pic he posted shows an inconsistency. If tmag did overfill the sole slot how do you explain the picture of the 5 irons? The slots looks totally different from each other. I'm leaning towards Ksouth9 selling some form of 2nds. I don't get why he has this weird following on Golfwrx where everyone instantly defends his credibility because they once bought a shaft from him that was real. When does the smoke become fire?

TaylorMade uses several facilities to manufacture clubs. The ones coming from different facilities always have minor differences. The reason they don't authenticate via serial alone is because counterfeiters take legit serials off legit clubs and put them on their counterfeits. That's why TM requires them to be sent in for authentication. It's actually a safer method to verify authentication than a phone call with a serial number like a few others do (though the others sell a lower volume and aren't counterfeited as offer with the exception of Titleist and Vokey wedges and Cameron putters).