CFB Season

Warrick

Bama and Ohio State wlll be an interesting discussion tomorrow

Are we debating a 1 loss team that did not play in it's Championship game against a 2 loss team that did, and won it, again.

I bet OSU comes out on top for the second time, and was in both positions.

There’s one big factor missing in your statement. That’s Bamas schedule. Last year Ohio State wins against 3 top 8 teams in the final polls. Bama has 0 wins against the top 15. Bamas schedule was so bad, Fresno State losing yesterday became potentially impactful.

This Bama teams reminds me of the 2015 Ohio State team which was left out of. Very well could be the best team in the country... but you played Mercer in November

Let's be real SB, you're counting wins against MSU, Wisconsin, and PSU. Not exactly murderers row. Between the B1G being down as a whole and the blowout losses to OU and Iowa, that's what did you guys in. My team did no one any favors other than allowing ourselves to be bent over a barrel by these same teams, but I digress.

Alabama beat FSU at their best, LSU and Miss St. Everyone loves to point to Mercer, and I agree that's a dumb game, BUT....if they have a bye week there instead, does anyone even say a word? In the end, they have street cred and I think that plus Iowa is the reason they are in and OSU isn't.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate Alabama but then again I hate OSU worse so it cracks me up. Even after Saban saying you shouldn't get in if you don't win your conference!

Really wanna see a Clemson and Oklahoma natty. That would be a shootout!

The SEC just isn't what everyone thinks it is. The firing of coaches every 2-3 years and trying to rebuild has finally started to catch up with them.

As a huge Noles fan, hate to say it, but Dabo has them boys playing some really good football, but Bama is no Miami, and they are looking to get back at the Tigers, should be an epic game, the rubber match....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I really hate Alabama but then again I hate OSU worse so it cracks me up. Even after Saban saying you shouldn't get in if you don't win your conference!

The SEC just isn't what everyone thinks it is. The firing of coaches every 2-3 years and trying to rebuild has finally started to catch up with them.

It's funny how both OSU and Alabama were having to take opposites sides of arguments they had to make in years past.

In the end, I think we need 6, not 8 teams in. 6 gets you more quality teams in the playoff and gets you a benefit to run the table, schedule tough, and play hard every week as 1 and 2 would get byes. 8 gets you more Alabama versus Mercer matchups.

And I know this would never happen, but how about a playoff where the better seed hosts the game...so you could see an SEC team have to come north to play in the snow in December. The pros do it, why not college?

Are we debating a 1 loss team that did not play in it's Championship game against a 2 loss team that did, and won it, again.

There’s one big factor missing in your statement. That’s Bamas schedule. Last year Ohio State wins against 3 top 8 teams in the final polls. Bama has 0 wins against the top 15. Bamas schedule was so bad, Fresno State losing yesterday became potentially impactful.

This Bama teams reminds me of the 2015 Ohio State team which was left out of. Very well could be the best team in the country... but you played Mercer in November

Let's be real SB, you're counting wins against MSU, Wisconsin, and PSU. Not exactly murderers row. Between the B1G being down as a whole and the blowout losses to OU and Iowa, that's what did you guys in. My team did no one any favors other than allowing ourselves to be bent over a barrel by these same teams, but I digress.

Alabama beat FSU at their best, LSU and Miss St. Everyone loves to point to Mercer, and I agree that's a dumb game, BUT....if they have a bye week there instead, does anyone even say a word? In the end, they have street cred and I think that plus Iowa is the reason they are in and OSU isn't.

I’m confused... are you trying to say FSU, LSU and Miss St are good? LSU lost to Troy.... TROY... FSU lost 6 or 7 games. I know their QB went down but FSU should be able to have absolutely 0 pass game and win 8 games... I mean look at Michigan this year. Zero passing attack and they won 8. So FSU, even with their QB isn’t much better than a 8 win team. And Miss St... cmon man.

The fact is, if Ohio State had not scheduled the Oklahoma home and home and they had replaced OU with Mercer, they would be sitting at 12-1 and would be in the playoff right now. That’s the precedent the committee has now set. There’s no incentive in sechduling Big nonconference games. Just feast on an FCS school.

With that said, Ohio State is not one of the 4 best teams in the country. But the 2015 buckeye team was the best team in the country and got left out for having too weak of a schedule with one loss... their resume was virtually identical to Bama’s this year.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I’m confused... are you trying to say FSU, LSU and Miss St are good? LSU lost to Troy.... TROY... FSU lost 6 or 7 games. I know their QB went down but FSU should be able to have absolutely 0 pass game and win 8 games... I mean look at Michigan this year. Zero passing attack and they won 8. So FSU, even with their QB isn’t much better than a 8 win team. And Miss St... cmon man.

The fact is, if Ohio State had not scheduled the Oklahoma home and home and they had replaced OU with Mercer, they would be sitting at 12-1 and would be in the playoff right now. That’s the precedent the committee has now set. There’s no incentive in sechduling Big nonconference games. Just feast on an FCS school.

With that said, Ohio State is not one of the 4 best teams in the country. But the 2015 buckeye team was the best team in the country and got left out for having too weak of a schedule with one loss... their resume was virtually identical to Bama’s this year.

UM getting 8 wins speaks to how bad the B1G was. We had a top 10 defense, allegedly, that took advantage of the poor teams and got exposed against better ones. In the end, teams get ranked where they will. My point is that Bama's wins are more or less equivalent to OSU's.

Your point about Oklahoma is interesting, but I think OSU still loses head to head in that argument against Alabama. Both would have weak schedules, but the OSU loss to Iowa would stand out against Alabama's to Auburn. Yeah you won the conference championship, but you beat a team in that championship game that had only one other team in its division that had a winning record. (On a side note, the B1G really needs to consider a conference realignment or something)

Wait, I just blacked out....was I defending Alabama?

UM getting 8 wins speaks to how bad the B1G was. We had a top 10 defense, allegedly, that took advantage of the poor teams and got exposed against better ones. In the end, teams get ranked where they will. My point is that Bama's wins are more or less equivalent to OSU's.

Your point about Oklahoma is interesting, but I think OSU still loses head to head in that argument against Alabama. Both would have weak schedules, but the OSU loss to Iowa would stand out against Alabama's to Auburn. Yeah you won the conference championship, but you beat a team in that championship game that had only one other team in its division that had a winning record. (On a side note, the B1G really needs to consider a conference realignment or something)

Wait, I just blacked out....was I defending Alabama?

It’s ok... you were arguing with an OSU fan so that should right the wrong.

But yeah idk, I think the committee took the 4 best teams. So I really don’t have a bone to pick. I just don’t think they necessarily took the 4 most deserving teams. I get Ohio State got housed by Iowa. But Bama was tested 1 time all year. They played 1 good team all year. And they got throttled.

The committee picks 4 teams then finds a story and finds facts to back the 4 teams they picked. The story changes each season, each week. The facts for Bama changed from last week to this week and they didn’t play a game. Last week ‘Teams 5-8 are extremely close’... this week ‘Alabama was unequivocally better than Ohio state’... the only thing that changed? Ohio State beat the team ranked ahead of Bama while Bama sitting at home watching.

That’s where I have issues with the process. They seem to change their criteria year in and year out.

But whatever. If the Buckeyes wanted in they shouldn't have forgot there was a game being played while Iowa’s QB was wizzing passes by their faces. When you lose by 31 to a subpar Iowa squad you kind of get what you get.

Personally, I think they need a 6 team playoff. No committee. The conf champions are in. And then have a wild card (and just use some algorithm and rules like the BCS... like an undefeated nonpower 5 champ who is ranked in the top 12 or something gets the wild card.. if you don’t have an undefeated, it goes to whomever is the highest ranked and not in).

That effectively makes it an 11 team playoff. The 5 conf champ games and the wild card.

Herm Edwards going to Arizona State?? Did I seriously hear that right? All the rumors said Sumlin was a done deal headed there

Sumlin looks headed to UCF

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Herm Edwards going to Arizona State?? Did I seriously hear that right? All the rumors said Sumlin was a done deal headed there

Yup. Not sure if it's a good hire or not but living in Phoenix this program seems to need some life pumped into it. Maybe Herm will be a splashy enough name/personality to get some excitement going around the program.

I know the VP of ASU Athletics was Herm's agent in a prior life.

Im not sure about the committee setting the precedence of playing a bad non-conference schedule. Wisconsin's schedule was horrible and they got beat in the champ. and left out. Had they played a better schedule and been undefeated and lost a close game they are probably in.

I think it was flip a coin for bama vs OSU...and personallu I think the committee got it right. The Big 10 was down as was the SEC, but I think we all expect Bama to come out and give dabo a run for his money and maybe even win where we couldn't say the same for OSU. The one reason is Saban. That guy is an incredible coach. Plus they will have time to get healthy.

If OSU gets in 4th, that is a rematch from a "big time" blowout in the semi last year, as opposed to the fantastic championship game. If anyone thinks that did not factor in to the "human element", they are crazy.

Is what it is at this point, just hope the semi's and the Natty are good games now.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Nick Saban absolutely did not say that. I hate Bama but he never said that. The interview people are twisting where they said he said that is last year after Miss State. Listen to it. It’s not remotely what he said

Nebraska football program is buzzing for the first time since Taylor Martinez was running wild his freshman year (2010 maybe?). I'm not a big husker fan but I do come from Nebraska - so I'll be happy for the great fans of the Big Red if that program can return to a top-15 team.

Ohio State is my team, but they didn't belong in the playoff. They snuck in last year and got their doors blown off by the same Clemson team that the 4-seed will face this year. I think that was a factor in the decision. There truly was no excuse for the degree of the loss to Iowa. It wan't a 21-17 loss in tough conditions on the road, it was a 55-24 beat down. Bama can go toe-to-toe with Clemson and beat them, I don't think OSU can this year.

Clemson 21

Alabama 24 ------- Alabama 27

-----------

Oklahoma 38------- Oklahoma 17

Georgia 21

Yup. Not sure if it's a good hire or not but living in Phoenix this program seems to need some life pumped into it. Maybe Herm will be a splashy enough name/personality to get some excitement going around the program.

Herm seems to be a great guy by all accounts but I don't see how this is anything short of a disaster, guy hasn't coached in a decade, and hasn't recruited in 3

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Herm seems to be a great guy by all accounts but I don't see how this is anything short of a disaster, guy hasn't coached in a decade, and hasn't recruited in 3

well his introductory press conference started out on a great note... Pretty sure for a minute he forgot ASU's mascot is the Sun Devil...

Get your popcorn ready, Herm is already at it

Buckeye fan here, I'm not gonna whine about not getting in, the trip to Iowa City was an embarrassment. My issue is with the committee and their spokesman Holcutt. As someone said earlier in the next to last show he said "#5 through 8 are extremely close". Then this weekend Alabama beat the same team I did while OSU beat a team that the committee was going to put in the playoff had they won. The result, "Alabama was clearly the better team all year". One of those 2 statements was garbage. Bama didn't get better by sitting on the couch and OSU didn't get worse beating the #4 team. Oh well don't lose by 30 to a 7 win team. Go Bucks!

So I'd Ike to butt in and give my prediction. Alabama Georgia final. Alabama wins in a close one. Although Georgia might pull off the upset. Not that anyone cares. Just want to have it on record.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It’s interesting that the only reason the Big 12 has a championship game is because of what happened with TCU/Baylor a few years ago and those teams getting left out of the mix.. Fast forward a few years and now we’ve had back to back years where teams have gotten into the playoffs while not playing in a conference championship game.

Like SilverBullets said above - the committee needs to designate some criteria for getting into the game and stick to it rather than making excuses for putting teams in or out of the playoffs after the fact.

I’m not saying either TCU or Baylor deserved to be in that year or that OSU deserves to be in this year, but the committee does need to be more consistent.

Alabama was picked because they’re Alabama. If Texas A&M or South Carolina rolls through their season like Bama did and then gets annihilated by their arch rival and misses their championship game, they aren’t in the playoff.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

It's interesting that the only reason the Big 12 has a championship game is because of what happened with TCU/Baylor a few years ago and those teams getting left out of the mix.. Fast forward a few years and now we've had back to back years where teams have gotten into the playoffs while not playing in a conference championship game.

Like SilverBullets said above - the committee needs to designate some criteria for getting into the game and stick to it rather than making excuses for putting teams in or out of the playoffs after the fact.

I'm not saying either TCU or Baylor deserved to be in that year or that OSU deserves to be in this year, but the committee does need to be more consistent.

Alabama was picked because they're Alabama. If Texas A&M or South Carolina rolls through their season like Bama did and then gets annihilated by their arch rival and misses their championship game, they aren't in the playoff.

Yup I think it's just about consistency. I will say, what seems to be consistent is the committee is focused solely on picking the 4 best teams in the country, regardless of resume. It seems to be an eye test metric that is most important. Frankly, I don't blame them either. I think, with the exception of 2015, they have had the 4 best teams in the playoff. In 2015 I think Ohio State was the best team in the country but they lost in a terrible weather game by a walk off FG to Michigan State. MSU had a better resume, won the conference and the head to head win against Ohio st too boot so they deservedly got the spot over the Buckeyes.

What I think needs to happen is a 6 team playoff. 5 auto bids for the power 5 conference teams and 1 wild card bid. A nonpower 5 team can get the 6th spot if they meet certain parameters (Undefeated and ranking in the top 10? Top 12 even?... like UCF this year). Here's what the results would have looked like:

This year, you would have the following:

#1 Clemson - Bye

#3 UGA vs. #6 Bama or UCF (depending on parameters required for nonpower 5 to make it)

#2 OU - Bye

#4 Ohio State vs. #5 USC

(Yes I think by doing the conf championship thing you would have Bama dropping to 6).

2016 it would have been this:

#1 Bama - Bye

#3 Ohio State vs. #6 OU

#2 Clemson - Bye

#4 Washington vs. #5 Penn State

And who knows. Maybe they flip OU and Penn State to recreate the OSU vs. Penn State game.

2015 would have been:

#1 Clemson - Bye

#3 Michigan State vs. #6 Iowa or Ohio state

#2 Bama - Bye

#4 Oklahoma vs. #5 Stanford

2014 would have been:

#1 Bama - Bye

#3 Florida State vs. #6 Ohio State

#2 Oregon - Bye

#4 Baylor vs. #5 TCU

Again, I think the rankings would have changed so they could pit Baylor vs. TCU against one another as opposed to Ohio State jumping from 6-4 in the final week to get in.

I think the rankings end up slightly different than they actually did in the final week of the 4 team playoff so they can rematch inner conf. games where the resumes were razor thin.

In each of those years, teams 4-6 were some kind of debate. A 6 team playoff eliminates all debate. If you move to 8 teams, I think it creates even more debate and even more division. In looking since 2014, the teams which would be 7-8 are some form of the following:

2014: Miss St and Michigan St (multiple losses and no conference titles)

2015: 2 Loss Notre dame and either 12-1 paper tiger Iowa or 11-1 underperforming Ohio St

2016: 3 loss Wisconsin and 2 loss Michigan... Im assuming Wisconsin gets replaced with another 3 loss team from a different conf.

2017: 12-1 Wisconsin (who played a weak schedule) and UCF or Bama... I think if they went to 6 teams, UCF probably makes the 6 team playoff by being top 12 and undefeated. This is the only year where 8 teams kind of makes sense.

That becomes a total mess. At 7 or 8 teams you end up with 2-3 loss schools who either have a strong schedule and 3 losses or a weak schedule and maybe 1 but most likely 2 losses and no conf. championship. The margin between say 7/8 and 14 or 15 is razor thin as you start picking from a pack of 2/3 loss schools without conf. titles from different conferences. That makes no sense. You could flip a coin between team #12 and team #8 and still not have a correct answer.

To me, given the last 4 years, its painfully obvious 6 teams is a better route to go than what we have. I know that's a hotly contested thought between 4, 6 or 8 teams but I think 6 simply makes perfect sense. 6 teams makes the playoff effectively a 12 team playoff. 10 teams vying for their conf championship and 2 teams fighting for the wild card spot.. potentially an 11-1 non conf champ or a nonpower 5 conf champ.

The only issue I see with any expansion scenario that makes the conference champ an automatic bid is an upset in a conference title game. Not sure you want a 8-4 team from a weak division pulling a huge upset and getting in the playoff, that's cool when it's 68 teams in hoops though. Maybe you could say you have to be in the top 15 to get the auto bid or something like that.

Bullets you've got my vote. I felt 4 team playoff was flawed, for obvious reasons, since inception. It was good step but incomplete. So hard to determine who IS the best and who is DESERVING of being considered 4 best teams. Tmad brings up a good point. Maybe that's a scenario where 2 from a conference gets in or something. Until they switch to this superior format, kind of nit-picky, but would also like to see SEC have to go to 9 conference games. Would be hard. They are much better at "playing the game". Much better at putting their conference forward in the best light. While others are purging each other out of championship bids the SEC laughs and gets multiple teams in. Will conseed they probably have had multiple teams better than top team in other conferences. That perception could change with another loss here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

My Dawgs DOMINATED early signing day today. 7 five stars, #1 class in the country and we’re still not done yet... hear there’s an Illinois built Ford that may be heading for warmer weather soon... got 5 star Brenton Cox late... 8 teams have higher rated recruits. We’ve got 6 more rated higher than him. Today was a GOOD day to be a Dawg

I'm def all in for expansion, but would still want the best 6 or 8 teams. The idea of auto bids becomes less of an issue the more teams that are let in. Generally it works itself out and the weaker division winner will lose out in the conf championship game, but I have just enough sour taste for how the divisions are set up to see a potential lame duck playoff of teams who were in weaker divisions or won a multi team tiebreak, etc. and then went to win a conf championship. But that is what we have now.....wish the playoff would have started 20 yrs ago and evolved to 8 teams, with power 5 champs and 3 at large. No crazy nutso expansions in conferences. You have to play everyone in your conf, less maybe a team or 2 at most. No need for a conf championship game or 2 divisions. I would be fine with giving the 8th spot to a non power 5 if they deserve it, but it should not be auto. I realize this ain't happening, so the 6 team scenario is fine as noted above.

My Dawgs DOMINATED early signing day today. 7 five stars, #1 class in the country and we're still not done yet... hear there's an Illinois built Ford that may be heading for warmer weather soon... got 5 star Brenton Cox late... 8 teams have higher rated recruits. We've got 6 more rated higher than him. Today was a GOOD day to be a Dawg

yeah UGA pulled in a king's ransom yesterday... and it wasn't even really close.

It's funny, Ohio State has the #2 class and yet yesterday felt like a loss for the program. They had a few big recruits whom flipped at the last minute. None of them guys whom flipped were really a surprise but I think they believed they wouldn't lose all of the 50/50 commits... I think they believed at least one of those commits that was on the edge would stay. Either way it's still a very strong class for the Bucks.

My Dawgs DOMINATED early signing day today. 7 five stars, #1 class in the country and were still not done yet... hear theres an Illinois built Ford that may be heading for warmer weather soon... got 5 star Brenton Cox late... 8 teams have higher rated recruits. Weve got 6 more rated higher than him. Today was a GOOD day to be a Dawg

Not to mention going 12-1 so far in Smart's second year with a freshman QB. Once Nick Saban retires Georgia is going to dominate unless Bama has already somehow cloned Saban