2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Big, kinda fat guys, lets talk shirts

gretch

On 9/19/2017 at 4:16 AM, MrJones said:

I hated it growing up. I never wore what everyone else had on because I had to buy "husky" clothes. My brothers made sure to remind me that husky meant fat.

I know this feel, my man. The heartbreak of finding a pair of jeans you like only for mom to say "Sorry son, they don't have those in husky." 

* EDIT: And I realize I just replied to a 5 y/o comment

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I'm 6'2" barefoot and about 290 with a long torso.  If you are looking for tucked shirts, the Foundry brand polos  (JC Penney carries them) in tall are great for extra length.  If you want untucked, Under Armour shirts in 2X seem to fit slighty longer.   Ping shirts aren't terrible either. All of the aforementioned fit nice without being "balloony" .  Nike shirts tend to be too short for my taste.

Edited by Anser3

You can go to the website below and get great deals on Big & Tall polos. I’ve bought some before for as little as $4. I quit buying expensive polos 3 years ago when I found this site…

https://www.epicsports.com/productsearch_unbxd.html?&term=mens polo

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

The current fat man fit round up for me: 

Callaway Big & Tall - Really nice the 3X is a tent but it works, will try the 2X, my go to.

Puma - The 3XL is snug but will get into it one day. 

Bonobos - I really like the quality but the 3X is pretty baggy and the 2X is just a bit too snug around the belly, will get into that one soon hopefully. 

Adidas - the 3XL fit well but kinda short from what I remember, I have to find my shirts again. 

Some brands I want to try but they cost $$$: 

* Rhoback

* Dunning

* Black Quail

* William Murray 

Honestly I should just buy some sale stuff and if it doesn't fit just sell it on the Classified sections, big guy clothes go fast there it seems. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Cutter and Buck 3x in CB Tech … amazing

Sligo 3x a little smaller fit than C&B … but great 

both above way smaller than Cally 3x

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Just ordered 2 polo's from Black Quail figured the $25 sale price is worth a risk for the ones I got. Hopefully gives me a good idea on the brand, if I like the fit I'll grab some of the other sale shirts at $42.50. 

Looked at Rhoback and nothing on sale right now, I know they drop sales often and lots of codes floating around. William Murray nothing really of note on sale especially for the price. Peter Millar no sales either but local golf shop has them so can try them on there one day. Dunning doesn't have 3XL on sale but lots of 2XL, maybe I'll grab one to give it a try, really focusing on getting smaller so maybe use it as motivation. 

Will update on the Black Quail when they arrive. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 4/16/2022 at 4:47 PM, hammergolf said:

You can go to the website below and get great deals on Big & Tall polos. I’ve bought some before for as little as $4. I quit buying expensive polos 3 years ago when I found this site…

https://www.epicsports.com/productsearch_unbxd.html?&term=mens polo

Another epic sports  aficionado!   I have bought tons from their site  (their prices are unbelievable at times) but have never bought golf shirts from there.  I'll check them out again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Another epic sports  aficionado!   I have bought tons from their site  (their prices are unbelievable at times) but have never bought golf shirts from there.  I'll check them out again.

Yeah, it’s crazy the deals you can get there. I quit buying expensive polos 4 years ago when I found that site. All they do is get pulls, or stains on them anyways after wearing a few times. $10 at the dry cleaners to try and get a stain out, or $5 to just buy a new shirt…

On 4/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, MattM97 said:

Just ordered 2 polo's from Black Quail figured the $25 sale price is worth a risk for the ones I got. Hopefully gives me a good idea on the brand, if I like the fit I'll grab some of the other sale shirts at $42.50. 

Looked at Rhoback and nothing on sale right now, I know they drop sales often and lots of codes floating around. William Murray nothing really of note on sale especially for the price. Peter Millar no sales either but local golf shop has them so can try them on there one day. Dunning doesn't have 3XL on sale but lots of 2XL, maybe I'll grab one to give it a try, really focusing on getting smaller so maybe use it as motivation. 

Will update on the Black Quail when they arrive. 

On 4/17/2022 at 3:00 PM, MattM97 said:

The current fat man fit round up for me: 

Callaway Big & Tall - Really nice the 3X is a tent but it works, will try the 2X, my go to.

Puma - The 3XL is snug but will get into it one day. 

Bonobos - I really like the quality but the 3X is pretty baggy and the 2X is just a bit too snug around the belly, will get into that one soon hopefully. 

Adidas - the 3XL fit well but kinda short from what I remember, I have to find my shirts again. 

Some brands I want to try but they cost $$$: 

* Rhoback

* Dunning

* Black Quail

* William Murray 

Honestly I should just buy some sale stuff and if it doesn't fit just sell it on the Classified sections, big guy clothes go fast there it seems. 

FMM15 will get you 15% off your order at Rhoback. Makes the prices a little more tolerable to give them a try. 

They're great, and my personal favorite right now, fwiw. 

1 hour ago, brybry642 said:

FMM15 will get you 15% off your order at Rhoback. Makes the prices a little more tolerable to give them a try. 

They're great, and my personal favorite right now, fwiw. 

Thanks maybe once I get playing and walking a bit more I will. Usually drop some pounds fast in golf season and also seeing a bit of change from a month ago. 

So if I can I'd order a 2XL and get that to fit better. Already have a bunch of baggy shirts don't need more. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

6'1 325+ here. I find the Nike Victory polos fit just fine in 3XL, Adidas Primegreen fit about the same in 3XL as well. I find that Under Armour and Rhoback tend to have that "clingy" material and they just look really bad on my body. 

• Like 2

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

6’ 305 gym rat. Longer torso

RLX 2xl with the button down collar is my go to shirt…easy snag on eBay.

rhoback/ UA 3xl is the slim, clingy fit.

Travis Mathew 3xl is hit or miss. Go to Nordstrom Rack and try before you buy.

Nike and Adidas in 3xl fit good in the shoulders, super loose in the midsection for me. Sometimes can be too short.

My struggle is shorts. 42 inch waist with big quads, I always struggle with finding the right fit in pants/shorts.

Edited by tdub526
Added UA
  • Like 2

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*
Fairway Metal Titleist TSi2 

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

Irons Fourteen TC-770 4-PW 
Wedges Vokey SM9 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter Bettinardi iNOVAi 6.0

5 hours ago, tdub526 said:

6’ 305 gym rat. Longer torso

RLX 2xl with the button down collar is my go to shirt…easy snag on eBay.

rhoback/ UA 3xl is the slim, clingy fit.

Travis Mathew 3xl is hit or miss. Go to Nordstrom Rack and try before you buy.

Nike and Adidas in 3xl fit good in the shoulders, super loose in the midsection for me. Sometimes can be too short.

My struggle is shorts. 42 inch waist with big quads, I always struggle with finding the right fit in pants/shorts.

Good rundown on the fits and yeah the shorts and pants part are awful lot of the time the legs are skin tight but the waist is baggy so can't move well. Try out the Callaway shorts I found them to be the best only 1 pair fit odd for me. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

My Black Quail shirts came in and these things are nice, not really a fan of one based on color but at $25 clearance I won't complain much. The fit I'll compare it to Adidas since most have them, it's roomier in the chest/shoulders which is good for me that's always a problem area I find. The torso is similar maybe a touch more tapered but the shirt is also much longer so could just be how the fabric is sitting and I need to drop many pounds.

Overall without actually wearing them I'm quite pleased with Black Quail, definitely going to grab a few more from the sale section, see if there is a difference in the cuts but it's a good fitting shirt and quality is top notch. Finally something that isn't a dress, car cover or super slim fit on me.

Will update if I try anything else.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 1 year later...

This is the greatest topic ever !   I have no big and tall buddies to discuss with haha.     My stats are 6’2” and 265, 2xl shirts and 42 inch waist.   Athletic build except for the beer belly.  Broad shoulders so I wear a 50 long jacket.  

I just bought a 15 2xl shirts from a dude.   Various brands so I’ll give you my experience here.    Under Armour fit like an xl, the 2xl is too tight in belly ad chest.    I find the Adidas and FJ the best.   A bit longer than I’d prefer for untucked but it’s do-able.   Callaway also fits great.  But I hate the unbreathable fabric they use.    

• Like 3

Been a year since I've posted in this thread, since then I'm down about 40lbs and will still be dropping for a while. Since then I've been able to try more brands since I fit into more sizes, I'll run down my thoughts and quick pros/cons with each brand. 

Note I'm still larger than majority of golfers. So when I say slim or slimmer think of my build like an ex NFL lineman or linebacker, just more jiggle. 

Adidas: will forever be snug and short on me. A 3XL is a "nice look" on me, a 2XL will be too short on the torso and snug on the arms. Need to try my old 2XL shirts again. 

Puma: Same as Adidas for me but the 3XL I have are a bit slimmer, better cut, better length and arm space. Need to try on a 2XL Puma shirt.

Bonobos: these are a very generous cut, their 2XL shirts feel bigger than some 3XL shirts I have. 

Callaway: haven't tried their 2XL but I assume will be similar to be Bonobos in cut and length. Very long too especially if you're a taller fella, I've heard their tall shirts are like aprons. 

Black Quail: I haven't tried a 2XL yet, still like their shirts if price is right but found better. Solid patterns always wrinkle easy, patterns are better. 

Fairway & Greene: I have 2 "Made in USA" shirts. The 2XL kinda fit like a Puma 3XL but a bit slimmer. Not sure how standard option fits. 

B.Draddy: slim 2XL but length is there. Have to drop more weight to see if it even fits. 

Linksoul: slim cut as well at 2XL, like B.Draddy, will have to drop more weight but not impressed. 

Dunning: slimmer cut at 2XL but lots of length so if that is an issue look to Dunning. Their shorts are great BTW. 

Peter Millar: Summer Comfort - I like this cut, sits on me well, not too long or short, not snug or baggy on the arms. Been wearing a lot. 

Featherweight - Slimmer cut, not awful but not my favorite, like a bit of baggy in my shirts for movement. 

RLX: A touch slim but fits nicely for office wear at the moment. Yet to golf in mine but also not a tuck in length but gut doesn't hang out like Adidas if I lift my hand above my shoulder slightly.

Levelwear: cut varies on the material but one that fits now reminds me of the RLX cut just with less stretch, have another that is slimmer in the torso. 

Anderson Ord: a touch slimmer of a cut so just be aware if you got a belly. But length is nice, arm length and size is nice, awesome collar. 

Greyson: Only have 1 shirt but really enjoy it, have worn it a ton. Reminds me of the PM Summer Comfort with a better collar and touch more length. They do get much slimmer in smaller sizes but the button collar is clutch. 

Johnnie-0: was suggested this brand by another big gentleman who said they are very "American Cut" and he wasn't wrong, really enjoy the fit and materials I have. The ones I own have that cotton look but feel and stretch of modern material. 

Stitch: probably my favorite brand right now. Generous cut but not baggy, for you may be different. Still well and length I can tuck or untuck on occasion. The material is great, super nice button collar and material is awesome. For reference I got an XL Stitch polo and it fits about the same or better than a 2XL B.Draddy. 

So there is 16 different brands. May have missed something in my collection, trying to try whatever I can if I can find them cheap/used. I plan to lose weight so trying to find a brand when I get slimmer. 

Any additional questions on certain brands let me know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 7/2/2023 at 4:36 PM, MattM97 said:

Been a year since I've posted in this thread, since then I'm down about 40lbs and will still be dropping for a while. Since then I've been able to try more brands since I fit into more sizes, I'll run down my thoughts and quick pros/cons with each brand. 

Note I'm still larger than majority of golfers. So when I say slim or slimmer think of my build like an ex NFL lineman or linebacker, just more jiggle. 

Adidas: will forever be snug and short on me. A 3XL is a "nice look" on me, a 2XL will be too short on the torso and snug on the arms. Need to try my old 2XL shirts again. 

Puma: Same as Adidas for me but the 3XL I have are a bit slimmer, better cut, better length and arm space. Need to try on a 2XL Puma shirt.

Bonobos: these are a very generous cut, their 2XL shirts feel bigger than some 3XL shirts I have. 

Callaway: haven't tried their 2XL but I assume will be similar to be Bonobos in cut and length. Very long too especially if you're a taller fella, I've heard their tall shirts are like aprons. 

Black Quail: I haven't tried a 2XL yet, still like their shirts if price is right but found better. Solid patterns always wrinkle easy, patterns are better. 

Fairway & Greene: I have 2 "Made in USA" shirts. The 2XL kinda fit like a Puma 3XL but a bit slimmer. Not sure how standard option fits. 

B.Draddy: slim 2XL but length is there. Have to drop more weight to see if it even fits. 

Linksoul: slim cut as well at 2XL, like B.Draddy, will have to drop more weight but not impressed. 

Dunning: slimmer cut at 2XL but lots of length so if that is an issue look to Dunning. Their shorts are great BTW. 

Peter Millar: Summer Comfort - I like this cut, sits on me well, not too long or short, not snug or baggy on the arms. Been wearing a lot. 

Featherweight - Slimmer cut, not awful but not my favorite, like a bit of baggy in my shirts for movement. 

RLX: A touch slim but fits nicely for office wear at the moment. Yet to golf in mine but also not a tuck in length but gut doesn't hang out like Adidas if I lift my hand above my shoulder slightly.

Levelwear: cut varies on the material but one that fits now reminds me of the RLX cut just with less stretch, have another that is slimmer in the torso. 

Anderson Ord: a touch slimmer of a cut so just be aware if you got a belly. But length is nice, arm length and size is nice, awesome collar. 

Greyson: Only have 1 shirt but really enjoy it, have worn it a ton. Reminds me of the PM Summer Comfort with a better collar and touch more length. They do get much slimmer in smaller sizes but the button collar is clutch. 

Johnnie-0: was suggested this brand by another big gentleman who said they are very "American Cut" and he wasn't wrong, really enjoy the fit and materials I have. The ones I own have that cotton look but feel and stretch of modern material. 

Stitch: probably my favorite brand right now. Generous cut but not baggy, for you may be different. Still well and length I can tuck or untuck on occasion. The material is great, super nice button collar and material is awesome. For reference I got an XL Stitch polo and it fits about the same or better than a 2XL B.Draddy. 

So there is 16 different brands. May have missed something in my collection, trying to try whatever I can if I can find them cheap/used. I plan to lose weight so trying to find a brand when I get slimmer. 

Any additional questions on certain brands let me know. 

Great info here. Thanks for taking the time to share. 

Titleist TSI3 9.5 / Ventus TR Blue 60x
Titleist TS2 15* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist TS2 18* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist 913H 21* / Hazrdous Smoke 6.5

Titleist T200 / T150 5-G / Modus 105S
Titleist Vokey SM8 56 / 60
Scotty 7.5 Phantom 

18 minutes ago, Joev2252 said:

Great info here. Thanks for taking the time to share. 

No problem I know what it's like to struggle to find nice shirts. It's honestly probably not the best quick review.

There are some that probably need to change a few minor details. 

Some brands have multiple cuts and fit. 

Sometimes if manufactured in different countries cut will vary. 

But a good idea hopefully for some to at least try. Good thing most brands have a return policy. 

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Full disclosure, I’m not a “brand guy”. For my polo shirts, I almost look at them as disposable. Between getting runs in them, or getting them dirty, I don’t keep them for longer than a year. I donate my polos to charity then buy new ones. I found these on Amazon, and I really like them. Nice full fit, good quality, and 3 polos for $38 is a really great price. I wish they were available to buy individually, but I can live with having to buy in a 3 pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Clothing-Performance-Essentials-Casual-Fit/dp/B09P22G7SW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3PR2V1FOIINR8&keywords=real%2Bessentials%2Bbig%2Band%2Btall%2Bpolos&qid=1688659341&sprefix=Real%2Bessentials%2Bbig%2Band%2Btall%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a Vineyard Vines and wore it for my round today, these are nice shirts, nice cut, not overly long or short, zero issues with my arms which is an issue at time since I kinda have built arms. Kinda Johnnie-O like, this one material is different maybe like Stitch but a bit slimmer which is fine cause Stitch is huge. 

If anyone is curious my favorite brands shirt wise will probably go: 

- Johnnie-O

- Peter Millar 

- Stitch 

- Vineyard Vines (would be higher if I have more which I will soon). 

Now only if shorts and pants were this easy, that's a task on it's own. 

• Thanks 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 7/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, MattM97 said:

Just got a Vineyard Vines and wore it for my round today, these are nice shirts, nice cut, not overly long or short, zero issues with my arms which is an issue at time since I kinda have built arms. Kinda Johnnie-O like, this one material is different maybe like Stitch but a bit slimmer which is fine cause Stitch is huge. 

If anyone is curious my favorite brands shirt wise will probably go: 

- Johnnie-O

- Peter Millar 

- Stitch 

- Vineyard Vines (would be higher if I have more which I will soon). 

Now only if shorts and pants were this easy, that's a task on it's own. 

I love my peter summer comfort shirts in xxl, would a johnnie o xxl fit similar or no?  always looking for something new. Thanks

Rogue ST ls 9 Ventus Blue tr stiff
Callaway Mavrik 15 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 Stiff
In search of Hybrid
Callaway apex 21 apex pro combo set 4-aw  $ taper stiff
Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60Tour V stiff
King Agera

2 hours ago, terapins said:

I love my peter summer comfort shirts in xxl, would a johnnie o xxl fit similar or no?  always looking for something new. Thanks

I'm not going to nitpick much they're near identical cut/fit for me. I'd say the Johnnie-0 is a touch shorter on the torso and arms but no issues for me. I wear mine a lot. 

They may have a few on their website on sale if you like pattern print. Which I'm preferring more as a big guy. Horizontal stripes do us no help😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 9/22/2017 at 10:58 AM, gretch said:

No fat shaming in my fat guy thread here please.

I found this brand that fits pretty well. It might show a tiny bit more of my midriff than I would like, but making a big shoulder turn is relaxed and comfy.

What do you think?

http://www.painttalk.com/attachments/f4/85538d1479077428-company-shirts-fat-guy.jpg

I’m seeing a legit 6 pack here. Who says it can’t be on the top half? 💪

(Quick shoutout to @aenemated for giving me the courage to reply to a five year old post. You are a trailblazer sir.  🤜🤛)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetSpeed79 said:

I’m seeing a legit 6 pack here. Who says it can’t be on the top half? 💪

(Quick shoutout to @aenemated for giving me the courage to reply to a five year old post. You are a trailblazer sir.  🤜🤛)

Haha my pleasure, sir! 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept