MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

I don't see you guys talk much about these courses much so I'll give a quick review:

Pilgrim's Oak (Peach Bottom, PA)

This course is about 45 mins north of Baltimore. It's tucked among acres of farm land in the middle of Amish country PA. The club house is pretty simple and they don't serve alcohol. They have a grass range and a few putting/chipping greens. The course is in real good shape. The routing is well done and no two holes feel alike. There's a decent amount of elevation change and a good mix of wide open and guarded holes. The only downside is some of the greens are borderline unfair. Huge undulations and tiers that look like cliffs. I highly recommend this course. It's a pretty good halfway point for my Philly friend and I to meet up.

Rattlewood (Mt Airy, MD)

The forgotten MoCo course. I would have never known this area is actually Montgomery County until recently. The conditions are up there with what you'd expect with the other MoCo courses, greens rolled true, bunkers freshly raked with nice sand, fairways and rough grown in well. Pretty easy set up, only a few tight holes. It seems they ran out of space on 15-18 however. 18 has to be one of the most boring, easy closing holes I've ever seen.

My club had a tournament at Pilgrim's Oak this past Saturday. Loved the place and can't wait to play it again. Great conditions tee to green. The greens were very firm and a bit slow so it was best to play short and run up. You are right that a couple of pins were borderline unfair and course familiarity would help tremendously. As far as how I played......I'm sure I will do better next time.

You and I were probably warming up next to each other at the driving range! I teed off at 7:52. Kept on hearing employees asking a large group of guys if they were with the "Maryland Golf Club outing." I'm wondering if we crossed paths again by the water hazard between hole 6 and 7!

Pretty funny, my group teed off at 8:00 so we were right behind you.

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

I've got Pilgrim's Oak as about 80 minutes from Baltimore, well, from my house, but it takes me 15/20 to get to 95.

I love the Country up there.

But, for you guys looking north, how much have you played Greystone? I consider it one of the most difficult courses around. Landscape would be similar to PO. . .rural and hilly.

I was speeding, it was early in the morning, but I got there in 75 mins flat from Silver Spring.

I went to school not far from Pilgrams Oak and had actually been looking for places to play on the way up this fall.

Looks nice, just like what I remember most Lancaster area golf being.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Second funny thing. . .we played Waverly Saturday morning before heading to Turf. I'm putting my things back in my car when Domes starts going, "oh, hey, I need your help here." And he's carrying his bag and kind of fiddling around with it on his hip. What had happened was the bag has a zipper that has a tiny little gap where the pull tab is; I think this zipper has a gap there. If not, picture one. . .

So, one of the zippers on the golf bag has slipped right over one of his belt loops and domes is standing there attached to his golf bag and he can't get it undone. He said the same thing happened to him once before and he was so stuck he had to rip his belt loop off. It was kind of a "you had to be there" to see Domes walking around stuck to his bag, but it was funny.

If Domes is having issues fighting a golf bag, we are going to have to toughen him up before he starts going at lymphoma.

I see the Web.com Tour is playing Lakewood National n Feb. 0f 19. I played this course in January of this year. Played Streamsong the same week. I would put it on the same level of niceness. Fab said he would not like it for some reason.

IIRC I said that too but only from pics/overheads. I just dont like "typical Florida" golf courses, IE water or houses on every bendy hole.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Golf ball hos:

Srixon Zstar and Zstar XV are currently $20/doz at Maple Hill Golf (as well as goflballs.com, carlsgolfland).

XVs tend to play pretty similar to V1X, might be a little more muted.

Customization for $25/doz

I gobbled up more dozens than I care to admit to supplement my dwindling K-Sig stock.

Second funny thing. . .we played Waverly Saturday morning before heading to Turf. I'm putting my things back in my car when Domes starts going, "oh, hey, I need your help here." And he's carrying his bag and kind of fiddling around with it on his hip. What had happened was the bag has a zipper that has a tiny little gap where the pull tab is; I think this zipper has a gap there. If not, picture one. . .

So, one of the zippers on the golf bag has slipped right over one of his belt loops and domes is standing there attached to his golf bag and he can't get it undone. He said the same thing happened to him once before and he was so stuck he had to rip his belt loop off. It was kind of a "you had to be there" to see Domes walking around stuck to his bag, but it was funny.

If Domes is having issues fighting a golf bag, we are going to have to toughen him up before he starts going at lymphoma.

I can't believe it's happened twice now. The first time was right before whiskey creek two years ago (the year I won). I closed the door to my apartment and tried to put my bag down in the hallway , and it was hooked onto a belt loop. I tried for like 5 minutes to get it unhooked. I had my bag laying down and was basically on top of it trying to figure it out, but short of taking my pants off in the hallway it was impossible. Ended up just ripping the belt loop and going back inside to change.

Unbelievable that it happened again. Two of us almost couldn't get it figured out. We almost needed a third set of hands.

The Mazdas are sweet. I drove Freezy's cx9 back from Pinehurst. Sweet ride.

Car narcolepsy is real. Ask City.

Carcolepsy.

Rules question :

For those who don't know the hole, 18 at WM is a dogleg left coming out of a chute of trees, all carry over a hazard. The other day I hit a smother hook off the tee that looks like it's going into the hazard, but it's hard to say from the tee since it went around the corner.

I declare that I'm hitting a provisional.

Can I do that?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Fun weekend of golf. Much has been recapped so far.

The driver toss at Worthington ending in no damage to the driver and it landing on the bridge seems crazier the more I think about it.

I started off so well at Worthington. Crushed drive on #1, wedge to 7 feet, made the putt. Hit really great drives on #2 and #3....then I started running out of gas. That place is a tough walk, and it was REALLY warm and humid. I think we all kind of were struggling by the end. Hindsight I would have taken a cart.

Waverly I didn't think I hit the ball that great, but scrambled well all day and finished with 13 pars and 5 bogeys. Some of the greens out there were sandboxes. Otherwise the course was in good shape. Turf in the afternoon was very soggy, and then we got like an inch of rain. Got 13 holes in and bailed. Playing the Hialeah course over and over would definitely make you a better golfer. Lots of shots where you have to commit and swing away. I liked it. Hopefully that place dries out. Seems like it will take a long stretch of sunny dry hot days to make it happen.

The Mazdas are sweet. I drove Freezy's cx9 back from Pinehurst. Sweet ride.

Car narcolepsy is real. Ask City.

Carcolepsy.

Rules question :

For those who don't know the hole, 18 at WM is a dogleg left coming out of a chute of trees, all carry over a hazard. The other day I hit a smother hook off the tee that looks like it's going into the hazard, but it's hard to say from the tee since it went around the corner.

I declare that I'm hitting a provisional.

Can I do that?

You can only hit a provisional if you think the ball is lost or out of bounds. I don't think you can hit a provisional when you think it went into a hazard.

If you think it could have stayed out, then provisional is okay. If you are pretty certain it went in, provisional is not okay.

I don't think that's a staked hazard though, is it? I thought it was just woods.

Something similar that I did late last year at Blue Mash: I topped it in the high grass in the hazard on #12. Played a provisional in case I couldn't find it in the hazard. Can't do that. Once I hit the second ball, that was my live ball no matter what happened to it.

If you think it could have stayed out, then provisional is okay. If you are pretty certain it went in, provisional is not okay.

I don't think that's a staked hazard though, is it? I thought it was just woods.

Something similar that I did late last year at Blue Mash: I topped it in the high grass in the hazard on #12. Played a provisional in case I couldn't find it in the hazard. Can't do that. Once I hit the second ball, that was my live ball no matter what happened to it.

But if it ends up being list and you don’t play the provisional then you have to re-tee, right? That’s not going to work on a public course

If you're reasonably certain it went into a hazard there is no retee. I dont know how WM18 is staked but if its red the whole way, no retee.

If you find it you play it, if you dont, you drop where you think it went in.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

C.Free's link says, "if you're 99.9% sure the ball went in, don't hit a provisional".

CJ says, "you can only hit a provisional if you think the ball is lost or out of bounds."

Sully says, "If you think it could have stayed out, then provisional is okay. If you are pretty certain it went in, provisional is not okay."

Actually if it is "known or virtually certain" that it went in, you can't hit a provisional. We were discussing whether it was legal for me to hit a provisional on 18, and we found my ball outside the hazard. I contend that that ball could be lost in the rough down there, or have deflected off something and gone anywhere so a provisional was OK. As a matter of fact, I found 1 or 2 more balls down in that rough, so clearly it's not a spot where the presence of balls is obvious.

DC said, "If you're reasonably certain it went into a hazard there is no retee. I dont know how WM18 is staked but if its red the whole way, no retee."

"If you find it you play it, if you dont, you drop where you think it went in."

Part of the problem there is that even if it's red there, you can't drop across there unless you're sure it crossed and came back. I think that it is actually yellow "through the chute" and then red the rest of the way. But if it didn't cross, you need to drop back on the tee side, or re-tee (one of your options under 26-1)

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

18 is red staked

The issue is that the question is whether the ball crossed after carrying a hazard, not if the ball stopped before entering the hazard.

Crossed? What?

Part of the problem there is that even if it's red there, you can't drop across there unless you're sure it crossed and came back. I think that it is actually yellow "through the chute" and then red the rest of the way. But if it didn't cross, you need to drop back on the tee side, or re-tee (one of your options under 26-1)

Huh?

why would you hit a provisional if you are reasonably sure a ball stayed OUT of a hazard? I mean, either it's not in the hazard, or it is and you drop right?

I wasn't reasonably sure it stayed out. It was possible it was lost outside of the hazard, lost in the hazard, or found in the hazard.

Also, that location, you need to drive a couple hundred yards around the hazard to get to where the ball is.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

18 is red staked

The issue is that the question is whether the ball crossed after carrying a hazard, not if the ball stopped before entering the hazard.

Crossed? What?

Huh?

crossed the hazard line on the other side.

Huh?

Did it do thing 1, or thing 2?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you're already laying down on top of your bag in the hallway, you might as well just go all the way and take your pants off.

The real question is, were you at R, S, X, Tour X, etc at the time...?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Oh I thought the question was did it cross - and then come out/re-enter the hazard around the corner.

The way you drew it, it seems like it would be easy enough to tell.

IIRC the way the edges cant there, it would be pretty hard for a snap hook to stay out of the hazard.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Huh?

Did it do thing 1, or thing 2?

I more fully understand the predicament now. The fact that those two ball flights have drastically different scoring implications is kind of frustrating from the rules of golf perspective, but I guess I get it. If this was me, a self proclaimed master of snap hooks, I'd just assume ball flight 1 happened and re tee.