2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Going back to earlier this week: Was there debate over whether Worthington or PB Dye was tougher? Not even close. Worthington by a bunch. Kicked my a** today, but such a great design. So many visual mind fs.

Worthington by a lot.

Some tough par 4s. That par 3 over water in wind is something else...

I’ve only played Worthington once and PB Dye twice. I thought PB Dye’s green complexes were EXTREMELY difficult and the only time I played Worthington was from the whites when it was damp so that is why I thought they were relatively level in terms of difficulty.

I’m sure you all have more experience with both tracks. I practice at WM all the time though. Great practice facility

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

So as a noob to this thread, who’s the biggest Hive club ho / gear junkie?

As I’ve gotten the Golf bug all over again this year after playing once/twice a year for 3 years, I’ve noticed the worse the weather is or busier I am, the more I am pouring over the BST pages theorizing about new sticks. Then I have one range session and I’m clueless as to why I’d want to change everything up.

Even in my peak golfing days, I was mainly just a putter ho (partly cause I’m an awful putter). In fact, first thing I did this year when deciding I’d make a concerted effort to practice/play more is get a new flat stick. Then it was new irons. Then new wedges. Rationale for my irons was my current irons were way too small/unforgiving for my current game (i25/s55 combo), and for wedges, lofts of new irons necessitated ‘regapping’ the wedges.

Think everything is set for the Solstice. Only thing still in question is the ball. ����

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

So as a noob to this thread, whos the biggest Hive club ho / gear junkie?

As Ive gotten the Golf bug all over again this year after playing once/twice a year for 3 years, Ive noticed the worse the weather is or busier I am, the more I am pouring over the BST pages theorizing about new sticks. Then I have one range session and Im clueless as to why Id want to change everything up.

Even in my peak golfing days, I was mainly just a putter ho (partly cause Im an awful putter). In fact, first thing I did this year when deciding Id make a concerted effort to practice/play more is get a new flat stick. Then it was new irons. Then new wedges. Rationale for my irons was my current irons were way too small/unforgiving for my current game (i25/s55 combo), and for wedges, lofts of new irons necessitated regapping the wedges.

Think everything is set for the Solstice. Only thing still in question is the ball. ����

Just look at the peoples .. bst stars should tell you all you need to know.

Seems a lot of people have slowed down some on the ever revolving carousel of club

Grab a bunch of sleeves and go play.. grab some you would not expect and find out.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Biggest club ho? Probably Boogs, though things have calmed down.

Played PB Dye yesterday. Played alongside top.h, MeatMatt and MeatMark.

Got to the course around 8:15 or so and purchased my round. I figured that the range ball distribution machine was at the range so I loaded up into a cart and drove to the range.

Would have been a great idea... if the ball machine was at the range. Walked back to the clubhouse and grabbed my small bucket of practice balls. While walking there, I saw Meat ark getting his equipment out of his car and we exchanged pleasantries. He asked if I was walking and I informed him my right ankle wasn’t in the best of condition due to work so I was riding. I also did not load my Clic into the car anyway.

Get back to the range and selected my 56, 47* Set Wedge, 7 iron, 4 Hybrid, and Driver. Along the session, top.h and MeatMatt arrived. Again, we exchanged pleasantries and started talking about perhaps making a game out if it. Hit about 5 or 6 of every club really trying to get myself to get through the shots. After that, I did about 8 chips on the practice green before I saw everyone head to the first tee.

We decided to play from the Golds. I was hesitant, but decided to play the same tees.

First hole was fine, hit a bit too much of a fade into the right rough right of the cart path. MeatMark was alongside with top.h and MeatMatt on the left part of the fairway. I hit a slightly thin 7 iron that rolled onto the green and had 8 feet left from the Front Pin placement. Mark got his approach to the left edge of the green about 14 feet away, top.h was in the Right rough and Matt was 6 feet on the right. I should’ve used the putting green as my putting sucked ALL day. Made an opening par.

So I’m feeling GOOD. I got my revenge on the first hole from last time and have a nice 7 iron distance to the flag on the Par 3 2nd...

Would have been interesting if I wouldn’t have pulled the tee ball into the trees on the left. The others were at least in play as I hit my third off the toe and barely got it past the garbage at the hill. Chunked a pitch to the rough collar then hit a chip to 5 feet... 2 putts later and that, my friends, is how you make a 7.

The third was no better. Pulled Driver into the trees after seeing Matt do the same. My third ricocheted off the root of the thin tree on the left of the fairway into the junk to the right of the fairway. Chopped out, chunked a Hybrid, got a hold of the Hybrid, misplayed the hill to the low part of the green and finished with a 10...

Ow...

Rest of the front 9 had me fighting 2 way misses with the driver until we get to 8. It’s playing about 215 to the pin. I don’t have that unless it’s 3/4 wood or driver. So I pull 3 wood and get a hold of it to the left rough just under the flag. I don’t think anyone hit the green in the group. Hit a chip to a foot and made my second par of the day.

After pulling 3 wood at the 9th and getting another hold of it, the guys were on me asking why I don’t just use the 3 wood to tee off from now on. I’m actually considering it, for now. Rest of the day off the tee was fine. Shots where I aimed correctly and got a good swing in went well. Just missed way too many shots all over the course. Ended up shooting 115.

Was a fun time overall, and I’ll definitely play the course again. Though unless I get a few more yards to my tee game, it would be from the whites and not the golds.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

So as a noob to this thread, whos the biggest Hive club ho / gear junkie?

As Ive gotten the Golf bug all over again this year after playing once/twice a year for 3 years, Ive noticed the worse the weather is or busier I am, the more I am pouring over the BST pages theorizing about new sticks. Then I have one range session and Im clueless as to why Id want to change everything up.

Even in my peak golfing days, I was mainly just a putter ho (partly cause Im an awful putter). In fact, first thing I did this year when deciding Id make a concerted effort to practice/play more is get a new flat stick. Then it was new irons. Then new wedges. Rationale for my irons was my current irons were way too small/unforgiving for my current game (i25/s55 combo), and for wedges, lofts of new irons necessitated regapping the wedges.

Hard to argue with the $20/dozen srixon tour ball deal currently circulating the internet.

I'm going through the car buying process for the first time in my life. Been a 1-car family, which my wife brought to the table. Before that I went car-less for years when I lived in DC proper. For whatever reason, car companies seem to like making the process as confusing as humanly possible.

Want to figure out what features are on what trim level of the model without going to a dealer? Good luck. I looked at a car this week that had EIGHT different trim levels, each with different things. God forbid you want to do that for previous year models, because then you are really in trouble.

And kind of like golf clubs, each manufacturer has similar features that each have their own trademarked name. Does Intelligent Driver Information System include blind spot detection? The world may never know.

In this day and age, I don't understand how no one has figured out a good way to make comparing features easier. Or if any of you have a good recommendation on a place that does that, it'd be great!

I'm going through the car buying process for the first time in my life. Been a 1-car family, which my wife brought to the table. Before that I went car-less for years when I lived in DC proper. For whatever reason, car companies seem to like making the process as confusing as humanly possible.

Want to figure out what features are on what trim level of the model without going to a dealer? Good luck. I looked at a car this week that had EIGHT different trim levels, each with different things. God forbid you want to do that for previous year models, because then you are really in trouble.

And kind of like golf clubs, each manufacturer has similar features that each have their own trademarked name. Does Intelligent Driver Information System include blind spot detection? The world may never know.

In this day and age, I don't understand how no one has figured out a good way to make comparing features easier. Or if any of you have a good recommendation on a place that does that, it'd be great!

What are you considering?

Just go online and build what you want and get it delivered.

Baller status

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Haven’t played PB Dye before but am playing it next Sunday morning. Also locked into playing 36 on the Solstice at Whiskey and Worthington. I haven’t played Worthington before but am looking forward to it. I’ve been dying to go back to Whiskey since #TRU.

Man, that’s a day of grinding. Awesome

Yeah, Sully, I take a different approach to the car buying process. Make an uneducated decision on what is basically a whim then be totally unsatisfied and preach ‘what’d I do differently if given the chance’ to anyone who will bear to listen.

Finally broke 80 today. Yes it was an easier short course (Rattlewood white tees) but still, what a feeling!

Congrats! Sometimes that's what you need to get into the mindset.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Played at Andrews AFB on Friday, and did not let Tex know. Well, only because it was charity tournament. We shot -8 and missed placing by a shot. Def left shots out there, but being a scramble, the winning score was like -16 or something. We played the South course which was in good shape despite all the rain. Greens running nicely, IMO, and an interesting layout.

I definitely didn't have it yesterday, but was able to claw some good shots together. Hit some decent drives, which are my bread and butter, decent irons, but short game and putting was pretty crap. Chief is just pounding the driver this season and is solid on/around the greens, just needs the irons to come together it seems.

Also the beer was flowing freely, which is always an added benefit.

Toulon Palm Beach

Oh, and for the first time in about 3 years, I did not use the Fly Z driver. I know, hell is an ice rink right now. Used the King instead, I figured since I had the plastic off, might as well actually use it on the course since I'll end up with an F8 at some point and it'll spend the rest of eternity in the spares bag. But seriously, it's a solid driver, I just don't play enough for anything to make a difference right now.

Toulon Palm Beach

FYI- They all break and all manufacturers have issues no matter what anyone says. As long as you stay away from the most entry level (low priced) vehicle you will get good service out of most new cars.

Looking at a couple SUVs. Audi Q5, Volvo XC60. Open to others. Test drove a VW Tiguan, which is a "lower tier" until you start adding all the stuff on it that you get on those other cars, then it starts getting comparable in price. Test drove the Tiguan, since I figure I trust the other two cars to drive alright and have enough HP. It's alright if you are going on the base model, but if you are dumping 38k in to the top of the line one, the engine is then pretty wimpy compared to other cars at that price.

Just as an example, I'm trying to figure out which cars have blind spot detection lights on the side mirrors. That's not a must-have feature, but I like it. I gather than Volvo has it by default, the Q5 has it in their one-up trim, and Tiguan has it in their one-up trim. But it was a pain in the butt to figure that out from their websites.

I think what's bugging me is that they give a list of features for each trim individually, but no one does some kind of table/matrix that shows their trims side-by-side. We sat with the Audi dealer for 30 minutes asking which features become available at what trim level. Waste of time.

Sully -

Dark horse in that category would be the Mazda CX-5. I'm looking in the same segment (Q5, Tiguan, QX50, staying away from volvo for now, Lexus NX) - and i think the CX drives far and away better than the rest of the pack, but may not have all the bells and whistles you're looking for.

Loaded CX5 is $30K OTD, though.

I'm a big fan of the Infiniti line/s, have had two in the last 12 years and think they have really upgraded their SUV offerings. If I had to replace my car right now I'd buy the exact same one over again.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Dj whipping it out before heading to the island. Dang dude.

HBD didn't just break 80. Smashed it. Great round. Easier said than done, but try to avoid "chasing it" your next round. Just go play.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Looking at a couple SUVs. Audi Q5, Volvo XC60. Open to others. Test drove a VW Tiguan, which is a "lower tier" until you start adding all the stuff on it that you get on those other cars, then it starts getting comparable in price. Test drove the Tiguan, since I figure I trust the other two cars to drive alright and have enough HP. It's alright if you are going on the base model, but if you are dumping 38k in to the top of the line one, the engine is then pretty wimpy compared to other cars at that price.

Just as an example, I'm trying to figure out which cars have blind spot detection lights on the side mirrors. That's not a must-have feature, but I like it. I gather than Volvo has it by default, the Q5 has it in their one-up trim, and Tiguan has it in their one-up trim. But it was a pain in the butt to figure that out from their websites.

I think what's bugging me is that they give a list of features for each trim individually, but no one does some kind of table/matrix that shows their trims side-by-side. We sat with the Audi dealer for 30 minutes asking which features become available at what trim level. Waste of time.

Resale value should be a heavy consideration IMO...some midsize SUVs do great...others are awful.