MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Take it one further MTN...

Kevin Chappell took a stupid penalty this weekend. He hit his ball INTO the tv tower, which was inside the hazard line. Went up, surveyed the situation, put his club on the ground while talking to the official to determine if he got a free drop from the immovable obstruction, and received a penalty for grounding his club.

So you're saying his discretion was poor?

I'm saying the tv tower shouldn't be that close to in play AND in a hazard...

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

Kevin Chappell took a stupid penalty this weekend. He hit his ball INTO the tv tower, which was inside the hazard line. Went up, surveyed the situation, put his club on the ground while talking to the official to determine if he got a free drop from the immovable obstruction, and received a penalty for grounding his club.

Why not?

Gotta put 'em somewhere.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Why not?

Gotta put 'em somewhere.

Further away...put it NOT in the hazard on the line 3 feet from the putting green.

There's really no reason the tower couldn't have been way further left. I didn't watch close enough to see if that tee box that's in your screenshot was actually used on the next hole but even if it was, no reason you couldn't have built the tv tower down in the hazard right next to it. Yeah ordinarily you wouldn't want to build a tv tower "in a hazard" but in this case, right below that wall was really a dry golf cart path that people were walking down on.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

One more note from yesterday:

#10 is a short par 3. Two tiered green. I think I had 115 to the flag, which was on the top tier. Long is terrible, and if I hit a perfect 54 it will get there, anything less and it's on the front tier and fine.

I hit a less than perfect one, and it ended up in the very front right corner of the green, probably 35 feet away from the flag. The slope is severe on that green, probably a 2.5 foot elevation change from bottom to top, and right behind the flag the green goes up another foot or so to the rough.

Best way to get it close without having to worry about not making it up the slope is to hit it hard enough that it gets to the fringe behind the hole and rolls back down. Pulled it off and made par. Definitely the most fun putt of the year.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the production crew has more knowledge of where they want their towers built than I do.

I don't know why it couldn't have been in another place. . .maybe it provided coverage of several holes from there. Maybe crowds had to walk through a place that was a "better location". Maybe the ground was flattest there, or firmest there.

Even if it was CBS, I don't think Joey Wrenches just walked up next to the green and went, "yup, put it here, boys."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

FWIW, I'm totally sold on Bedford. Definitely going to go up for 36 one day next year. My vacay time has been limited this year. . .well, not limited, but used up on other necessities than 8 hours VAC for golf.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

#10 is a short par 3. Two tiered green. I think I had 115 to the flag, which was on the top tier. Long is terrible, and if I hit a perfect 54 it will get there, anything less and it's on the front tier and fine.

115 full blown 54? Sounds like city isn't the only dingus that needs to work on their controlled wedge shots.

115 full blown 54? Sounds like city isn't the only dingus that needs to work on their controlled wedge shots.

No halvies here either.

All aboard the dingus train...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

i've always used cord grips because they last. i'd like something a bit gentler. recommendations? FABB had some iomic (?) grips that seemed nice. anything similar?

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/f/golf-club-grip#bazaarRating:&facet:&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:7&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:48&sequence:&facetName:&totalFacetCount:&facetSequence:&attributescount:&singlemulti:&pageName:&

i've always used cord grips because they last. i'd like something a bit gentler. recommendations? FABB had some iomic (?) grips that seemed nice. anything similar?

http://www.golfgalax....lti:&pageName:

FABB recommended the Lamkin iLines. I am not really a fan and next time I re-grip will be probaby go back to these:

https://www.golfwork...grips/p/GP0045/

BTW order from Golfworks not golfgalaxy in going through your link the prices are alot higher

Just past pin high? The ball crossed the hazard line 20 feet in the air! That ball is in the water if the TV tower isn't there.

Hey Sully instead of arguing about TV towers talk about how you made every putt you looked at inside of 12 feet yesterday. Taylormade Spider is working!

I bet DJ would have won his match yesterday if he still used the DJ Spider.

There was one ~5 footer that I yipped and missed.

http://www.golfgalax...lti:&pageName:

I love the Lamkin X-10. Conveniently on sale right now for $1.99 while supplies last.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/products/sale/x10-golf-grips-classic-logo.html

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

1wrq4g.jpg

1wtbu3.jpg

Just in terms of weekends recapsies. . .

I know this is the lament of the loser, but sometimes it's true. . ."I'm working on things". As I said recently, I basically got over every drive with the intent to "bash bash bash". I hit 1 fairway. I lost a few balls off the tee. I didn't spend any time on putts. I pulled the wrong club twice. We were also stuck behind a foursome the whole front, and then pushed by singles the whole back. I enjoyed the company that day, but for some reason, I was not having a fun "golf day". Was just trying to hit shots, not play golf.

Now, Saturday, we got money on the line. I'm playing with a "blind draw" so I have a partner I need to consider, we have a game going in our group, we have a skins pool. . .guess what. . .I tried to go play golf and durrrr. . .I didn't shoot 90.

Honestly, I don't even feel right about posting that 90, but not trying to be the "vanity cap" either

Also, I know some of you guys played this weekend. . .that Saturday round was pretty decent. Very windy. Hialeah course. Some very tough pins. I've been working a little on more punchy approaches and hit some nice ones. Kept some drives out of the wind. Hit a few stinger 3-irons (inlcuding right through the fairway on 2. I had a GW in).

Still have a huge fear of going left with that driver. I'm not committed to it yet. Bae asked me when I'd give up on it. . .I told him the end of October. For me, that represents a lot of swings.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Long golf day yesterday. In the morning my son and I played in the NIH league outing at Poolesville. Didn't play great. Driver was ugly for the first 6 or 7 holes. Didn't get a chance too warm up at all, and it was pretty damned cold when we teed off at 8. My son did pretty well. Shot 100 from the senior tees.

In the afternoon he had a PGA Jr League match at Needwood. He and his partner shot even par (2 birdies, 2 bogies, 5 pars) and won the match 2.5 to .5 points.

Also saw Fluff out there. I'd seen him out there a few times before. His daughter is on the other team. She was in the group behind ours, and on #7 she drove the ball almost up to green, where we were, although the kids were playing from the ladies tees. He did say hi to me as I was walking in, so I got that going for me.

OCGolfRick recap: Newport Bay

Played our usual member throwdown morning group and got in the same foursome with my Dad, but not paired with him. It was me and the only lefty against him and a 10hcp, and the bet as a whole group as well.

Our competitors nicknamed us Donald and Barack, not only because of our handing but where we would end up on the hole. So we named Dad Vladimir, and the 10hcp dressed in all black, so he was Kim Jong. Had a great match, especially given how windy it was. We get to #14 Newport and Kim Jong airmails the green, which lead to some barbs from me and my partner.

"Say Rocket Man, you really let into that one!"

"Were you aiming for Guam?"

He got up and down from behind the green to tie me on the hole, which lead to him pointing his putter at me "Take that Yankee Scum!"

We tie #15, then I win #16 with a par, and both my partner and I made 3 on #17 to tie Kim Jong. Sometimes when you're on #17 and you wonder how you're going to get it on, but with a 2 club wind behind you it gets a heck of a lot easier. So #18 we all hit good drives, but I'm ahead of Kim Jong by about 20 yards, and I've only got that 40 yard shot into the green. Kim Jong sticks one to 4 feet and starts giving me the eye. I knock one to 12 feet, and knock down the putt to match his birdie. We win the bet 1 up is all. Given the conditions I was really happy with an 87, and cashed in the overall game as well.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Long golf day yesterday. In the morning my son and I played in the NIH league outing at Poolesville. Didn't play great. Driver was ugly for the first 6 or 7 holes. Didn't get a chance too warm up at all, and it was pretty damned cold when we teed off at 8. My son did pretty well. Shot 100 from the senior tees.

In the afternoon he had a PGA Jr League match at Needwood. He and his partner shot even par (2 birdies, 2 bogies, 5 pars) and won the match 2.5 to .5 points.

Also saw Fluff out there. I'd seen him out there a few times before. His daughter is on the other team. She was in the group behind ours, and on #7 she drove the ball almost up to green, where we were, although the kids were playing from the ladies tees. He did say hi to me as I was walking in, so I got that going for me.

Fluff must've traded in for the younger model if he's got a daughter young enough to play with Dave Chen's kid. Nerf and I saw him at the US Open at Congressional and it looked like he could barely walk then.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Is it me, or does she have the same look as one would if they had found a winning lottery ticket?

Brunette? Poor girl doesn't realize she doesn't fit the mold

That look on Tigers face says it all "We've got a stage 5 clinger here..."

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips