2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my chrome 6 mmb iron in and it looks awesome. Got the MPF shaft and have to agree with AZstu that it looks awesome. Have it glued up and just have to wait 24hrs... What moron buys 24hr epoxy?

A great looking iron but why use the ugly O-Ring as opposed to a ferrule?

I couldn't decide, the shaft is matte black and the MMB will be too so wasn't sure I liked the glossy ferrules. I kinda liked the industrial look of the o-ring, we'll see if I still like it once I get it to the range.

here is the ferrule that I went with. You couldn't really see it in the other pics. I think it's the shortest ferrule other than the o-ring style. This would definitely look better in all black.

The ferrule looks fine.

Got my chrome 6 mmb iron in and it looks awesome. Got the MPF shaft and have to agree with AZstu that it looks awesome. Have it glued up and just have to wait 24hrs... What moron buys 24hr epoxy?

I couldn't decide, the shaft is matte black and the MMB will be too so wasn't sure I liked the glossy ferrules. I kinda liked the industrial look of the o-ring, we'll see if I still like it once I get it to the range.

here is the ferrule that I went with. You couldn't really see it in the other pics. I think it's the shortest ferrule other than the o-ring style. This would definitely look better in all black.

I saw that ferrule, I might go with them they do look nice. I also bought a pack of the short ones with a red stripe as the shaft has some red on it and the grip I am trying has some red too.

I saw that ferrule, I might go with them they do look nice. I also bought a pack of the short ones with a red stripe as the shaft has some red on it and the grip I am trying has some red too.

another idea if you want to get rid of the shiny is take some 300 grit and lightly scuff off the gloss for a flat look.

another idea if you want to get rid of the shiny is take some 300 grit and lightly scuff off the gloss for a flat look.

I would strongly recommend you simply use paint deglosser rather than sand paper. Costs like $4 a bottle at Home Depot/Lowe’s

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Just got home to look at my PTM. they look good. Can’t wait to get them installed. Hope to this weekend. I can take some DBM vs PTM pics at that point.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I'm looking at the MMB's right now. I'm a low HC and I've been playing the Cobra FlyZ+ Forged for 2 seasons. I tested many irons when I bought them and kept going back to them. I ended finding them on the MPF site and was not surprised to see they had a well positioned CG. The AVCOG and C-Dim are very good which speaks to how well they perform for such a compact head. I've wanted to go closer to true blade/muscle back iron and the design of the MMB really appeals to me other than the offset looks a little higher than my Cobra's. Prior too the Cobra's I played Alpha C1 Pro's in a steelfiber 125g for 3 years.

I would be playing either steelfibers or recoils in the 110 to 125g range. I'd like to go with the steelfiber 110cw if I could, but I'm not sure if they would fit the MMB hosel. I would be getting these assembled by GW as I have no knowledge or equipment to assemble myself. The hosel of the MMB is .370 but if I'm understanding correctly a .355 can be used with a shim? Is that correct? If yes, does using a shim in anyway degrade durability of the build? Not being a club builder myself I'm worried of a head falling off or something and not being able to repair myself.

Also, does anyone now if the recoils are a constant weight shaft? I find the 110's I have now a touch light in the short irons. I'm guessing not but thought I'd ask.

I'm looking at the MMB's right now. I'm a low HC and I've been playing the Cobra FlyZ+ Forged for 2 seasons. I tested many irons when I bought them and kept going back to them. I ended finding them on the MPF site and was not surprised to see they had a well positioned CG. The AVCOG and C-Dim are very good which speaks to how well they perform for such a compact head. I've wanted to go closer to true blade/muscle back iron and the design of the MMB really appeals to me other than the offset looks a little higher than my Cobra's. Prior too the Cobra's I played Alpha C1 Pro's in a steelfiber 125g for 3 years.

I would be playing either steelfibers or recoils in the 110 to 125g range. I'd like to go with the steelfiber 110cw if I could, but I'm not sure if they would fit the MMB hosel. I would be getting these assembled by GW as I have no knowledge or equipment to assemble myself. The hosel of the MMB is .370 but if I'm understanding correctly a .355 can be used with a shim? Is that correct? If yes, does using a shim in anyway degrade durability of the build? Not being a club builder myself I'm worried of a head falling of or something and not being able to repair myself.

Also, does anyone now if the recoils are a constant weight shaft? I find the 110's I have now a touch light in the short irons. I'm guessing not but thought I'd ask.

I know you can shim them as GW has .355 to .37 brass shims, I can't image they would sell them if they created a major weakness in the builds. Another consideration could be the PTM heads as they have a universal hosel but they might not fit your looks. My understanding is they have a .370 hosel diameter with a .355 taper head at the bottom of the hosel to center the smaller shaft.

I know you can shim them as GW has .355 to .37 brass shims, I can't image they would sell them if they created a major weakness in the builds. Another consideration could be the PTM heads as they have a universal hosel but they might not fit your looks. My understanding is they have a .370 hosel diameter with a .355 taper head at the bottom of the hosel to center the smaller shaft.

I ended up talking to someone at GW and they explained it to me. Sounds like there would be nothing to worry about. Thanks.

I want to take the Aerotech Steelfibers from my Alpha C1 Pro irons and put them in a set of MMB17's or DBM's. Can anyone with club building experience tell me if they would play to roughly the same length? I'm guessing this could very from club to club depending on bore depth and hosel length.

GW list their bore depth and hosel length so you could calculate the length the head would add to your shafts. I didn't those listed on Alphas webpage so you'd either have to call them or pull a shaft you have and measure.

I want to take the Aerotech Steelfibers from my Alpha C1 Pro irons and put them in a set of MMB17's or DBM's. Can anyone with club building experience tell me if they would play to roughly the same length? I'm guessing this could very from club to club depending on bore depth and hosel length.

I'm not sure on the Alpha's, but most likely they have a longer Bottom of Bore to Ground Measurement than the Maltby's, which have some of the shortest BBGM's available.

Without an exact measurement on the Alpha's, I would assume the shafts would end up being at least 1/4" shorter installed in the Maltby's

I'm not sure on the Alpha's, but most likely they have a longer Bottom of Bore to Ground Measurement than the Maltby's, which have some of the shortest BBGM's available.

Without an exact measurement on the Alpha's, I would assume the shafts would end up being at least 1/4" shorter installed in the Maltby's

Thanks for the info. I was worried about that possibly being the case. I might be better off just getting a set built.

Just got home to look at my PTM. they look good. Can’t wait to get them installed. Hope to this weekend. I can take some DBM vs PTM pics at that point.

Would love to see some quality comparison shots between the two heads.

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

Played my first round with my DBM's on Saturday at Foothills Golf Club in Phoenix/Ahwatukee. I kept score on the front 9 only and played 10-14 nearly in the dark and shot a 40/36 from the back tees rating 70.2/122. Not overly difficult but definitely not a cakewalk. For someone who regularly shoots 10-14 over on easier and more familiar courses, this was a pretty good day. The clubs absolutely did everything that I expected and wanted them to do and I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase and decision to go with the DBM's. I'll say this, There isn't a single club sold at the fancy stores that looks better than these (DBM, PTM, MMB). Just as good yes.. not anything nicer though. Foothills is a little more upscale than what I'm used to and is more of a countryclub/resort style course. Before I teed off, I was stopped by 3 different club workers who asked about my clubs (2 bag boys, and a club pro). The pro asked if he could take out my 7 and swing it. Of course I obliged. He then proceeded to ask who the "custom" maker was and how much I paid for them.. A little unprofessional to ask about cost but slightly flattering at the same time. I wouldn't divulge the price but just told him to look up Maltby golf clubs. He then went on to make the assumption that I must have paid at least $2k for them.. Not sure how he arrived at that conclusion.. but he's the pro, he sees many expensive golf clubs come through there, so he must have a good eye and knowledge for top-shelf equipment. I've never been stopped and asked questions about any golf clubs ever before. The guy I got paired with plays off of a 2.1 and he was asking about them. I even let him hit a shot with my 7 and he landed it 3 feet from the hole.. He asked the same questions about cost.. I gave him the same answer that I gave the pro. The mystique about these clubs is that they look like and absolutely are top-shelf equipment AND they don't have any resemblance to any other brand. They're not clones or lookalikes in any way shape or form. They're 100% their own animal and I love that! It's almost comical and unfortunate that there are people out there gladly paying north of $1000 for irons and have absolutely no concept of there possibly being something just as good or better being sold for $389. I'll play a full 18 this coming weekend. Can't wait!

How'd the gapping work out? Similar to what you found at the store?

gapping was perfect. Yardage was spot on as well. The only shots that landed short were hit from the rough but that was my bad for not playing a club up. They definitely drop a club or 2 in the fluffy stuff.. But that's just coming from chunky GIs that got the ball up and out the same from any lie without making any adjustments. I really only had a couple shots from the rough though so no biggie.

I have my Black PTM's in play. I have a question though. I know they are forged. I currently have head covers on them. If I remove the head covers, how easily will they pick up bag chatter? I am not apposed to continuing to use head covers. I don't personally care what people think about using them. However, I would remove them if the PTM's don't ding easily.
It's the strongest finish in golf. 2 years I had uncovered DBMs in the bag and not one sign of chatter. I do treat my clubs well though. But still, no chatter to speak of at all.

I have my Black PTM's in play. I have a question though. I know they are forged. I currently have head covers on them. If I remove the head covers, how easily will they pick up bag chatter? I am not apposed to continuing to use head covers. I don't personally care what people think about using them. However, I would remove them if the PTM's don't ding easily.
It's the strongest finish in golf. 2 years I had uncovered DBMs in the bag and not one sign of chatter. I do treat my clubs well though. But still, no chatter to speak of at all.

Excellent. Thanks. They are such beauties. I want to show them off

So the new MPF shaft feels pretty sweet. I haven't hit any other graphite shafts to compare it to but didn't feel whippy and I felt like I had plenty of control. Was hitting this vs adams a12 pros with kbs tours 120 in them. I was only hitting off a mat as they were spraying the grass tees. I'll take the 6 iron to the course this weekend to see how it fairs.

If everything works out I'm going to go with the MMB blacks with the MPF shafts and cross comfort grips. Plan was to wait until my birthday in May but we'll see....

Hope to have my PTM back Friday. My fitter has been out of town. At that point I can post pics of a 7i DBM and PTM.

My M series+ shipped today from GolfWorks too. Hope to have them Friday as well. I leave for Myrtle Beach on Saturday and hope to take all of them without even hitting them before. :eek.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

This is my 7 iron. My warm up club, lesson club etc... my 8 and 9 look the same. Most have a little leading edge wear. Put them in the bag last April and play mostly on an all bent grass facility with sandy soils. The soles and cavity look brand new.

I wonder if a coarse rubbing compound would remove the wear marks? After all, the finish is backed into the metal.