Still playing Nike Vapor Combos?

jklcmo

Does anyone know why the Maltby playability factor was so low on these heads? They have a rating of 119, the Vapor Pros were 235 ( 716 AP2s were 417 for comparison). I never found them to be unforgiving or hard to hit. Quite the opposite. Does it have to do with the modern muscle design moving the vertical and horizontal cog?

Ive wondered about this for years now. As much love is out there for the MPF, all I can come up with is that its flawed in some way, shape, or form. Because they (VPCs) are the quintessential perfect iron: easy to hit, great feel, distance, and consistency. So I think the MPF is skewed or flawed, however you want to label it.

Plus they are built in a relatively compact package. Which makes them even better.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Does anyone know why the Maltby playability factor was so low on these heads? They have a rating of 119, the Vapor Pros were 235 ( 716 AP2s were 417 for comparison). I never found them to be unforgiving or hard to hit. Quite the opposite. Does it have to do with the modern muscle design moving the vertical and horizontal cog?

I’ve wondered about this for years now. As much love is out there for the MPF, all I can come up with is that it’s flawed in some way, shape, or form. Because they (VPC’s) are the quintessential perfect iron: easy to hit, great feel, distance, and consistency. So I think the MPF is skewed or flawed, however you want to label it.

MPF has not been a meaningful indicator for me. It says Ping S55 is much easier to hit than the VPC. I found the opposite. It said Cally XR Pro much easier. I thought that the Nikes were about the same. MPF says all Mizzy MP designs are "conventional" or "classic" and therefore a challenge. I found several heads -- MP5, MP18, MP54, MP59 -- very playable. But VPC was not even in those categories. Something about their design is not properly captured by MPF because they really are easy to launch.

One thing is clear. MPF likes long blades, offset and big cavities. That right there knocks out a lot of clubs I choose because I will hit a long-bladed offset club worse.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Well I have to say if their was ever a under rated iron these would be it. Went VPC to P770, and then I200. After seeing this thread and the lovely Proto refinishes , I picked up a near new set and proto'ed them. Took them out today and rekindled the love :man_in_love: . The I200's are going to Ebay. No wonder I won the club champs 2 years ago with these, such a great allround iron.

Well I have to say if their was ever a under rated iron these would be it. Went VPC to P770, and then I200. After seeing this thread and the lovely Proto refinishes , I picked up a near new set and proto'ed them. Took them out today and rekindled the love :man_in_love: . The I200's are going to Ebay. No wonder I won the club champs 2 years ago with these, such a great allround iron.

I came from the i200's as well. These are as forgiving, look better and feel better!

#ForTheShoe

Love my VPC. my first forged clubs. Hit them as long as my "more forgiving" 714 Ap1's, but with more accuracy. I almost picked up some P770's and still want to try the P770's, but do not plan to ever give up the VPC's. To me, they will be nostalgiac.

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

Had the VPCs back in the bag for yesterday’s round and stripped them for 18 holes. Can’t believe I even considered taking these out of the bag.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Hey - ďoes anyone still play the Nike VPCs? I have a chance to pick some up real cheap and was thinking of grabbing them as a 2nd set and seeing if can knock my current set out of the bag. I played them a few years ago when my ball striking wasn't that good but loved the feel. Curious who is still pmaying them.

Honestly solid set of irons. As a scratch golfer. I was hitting the pro combos for craps n giggles and ended up being extremely surprised at their performance. I was flying the mid/long irons higher and upwards of 15 yards longer than my current gaming set. And of course the ego is what prevents me from putting something more forgiving in the bag but, in general the clubs are extremely solid. For a second set and for that price, what a great idea

Had the VPCs back in the bag for yesterday’s round and stripped them for 18 holes. Can’t believe I even considered taking these out of the bag.

I agree with you, I sold my set, tried another company, came to my senses and found a new set and bought them.

My iron play immediately improved, the VPC irons for me, are the best irons I ever played. I am not making the mistake of getting rid of these again. I will play them until they fall apart.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Just grabbed a set of VPC's on the bay for a little over $200. After reading this thread I'm pretty excited.

I have never done paint fill/club modification/arts & crafts of any kind lol, but I love the proto look. How difficult would this be for a complete novice? And is it ok to remove the branded "checked" section on the back of the blade, below the black PVD section, or is that for vibration dampening? I don't want to affect the playability in any way.

Just grabbed a set of VPC's on the bay for a little over $200. After reading this thread I'm pretty excited.

I have never done paint fill/club modification/arts & crafts of any kind lol, but I love the proto look. How difficult would this be for a complete novice? And is it ok to remove the branded "checked" section on the back of the blade, below the black PVD section, or is that for vibration dampening? I don't want to affect the playability in any way.

ever used sandpaper? it should be that easy. as for the badge in the back, id leave it. you can remove the graphic from it though with some paint stripper

Ive done 5 sets. Buy the orange goo paint stripper from Home Depot or any home improvement store. Put it on the badge the the nike symbol. Leave it on for at least 12 hours *I had a few badges I had to reapply and leave on longer. Take a paper towel to the badge and it should wipe off. The volt I use a sharp pick and scraped it out. In terms of the black PVD, use 150 grit, then 250 grit all the way to 400ish. Be careful to not sand to hard you'll go straight through the shiny portion. Then use a very fine emery cloth and touch it up to taste. Took about 20 min per head on sanding. Longer to remove the badge. But BOY DO THEY LOOK GOOD when done.

haven't done my vapor pros, but theres a diy somewhere you can look up. sounds like a pretty easy mod. I'm thinking i'll do mine when they start to look a little beat up - I really like the volt personally.

I'm the same but followed the directions on here and they turned out awesome...the sanding takes only about 15 mins per club.

Picked up a set of the combos and pros really cheap and freaking love the combos. Wether it's the DG Pro shafts or the club head I'm getting a higher ball flight and basically the same distances as my Titleist cb's. First round in the wind with them took some adjustment but been able to control the trajectory better the last couple rounds. Likely going to pickup another set. The pros are a lot of fun to hit but won't see the course much.

Ping 425 Max 10.5* Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.0

Cobra Rad Tour 17.5* Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0

Cobra Rad Hyb 21*, 24* Hzrdus RDX Black 6.0

Bridgestone J15CB 5-P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Vokey SM7 50* 

Vokey SM10 54/S

Vokey SM9 60/D

Scotty Select Newport 2

Just redid my pros and engage wedges.

Really like the color choice on the swoosh, that looks sharp.

I have a set of orange ones and this set. Ive seen everyone else do tiffany blue but never had seen it on irons or wedges so I decided to give it a go. Im looking for one more set of pros to do them in red for Tiger. Always searching.

Just redid my pros and engage wedges.

Really like the color choice on the swoosh, that looks sharp.

I have a set of orange ones and this set. Ive seen everyone else do tiffany blue but never had seen it on irons or wedges so I decided to give it a go. Im looking for one more set of pros to do them in red for Tiger. Always searching.

Do you have a picture of the orange set? I'd really like to see that. I'm expecting my irons to be delivered today and I want to start working on the proto mod asap. I was going to do a clean black swoosh but I actually thought about doing red, green, or navy blue instead. Red is my favorite color but I have a set of Covert 2.0 irons with a stock red swoosh and I want to change it up. Orange may be a cool choice.

Can anyone confirm if removing the metal badge on the back affects vibration dampening, or is it purely aesthetic?

Not sure which part you mean. Are you talking about the section within the cavity on the back that is silver metal with a black checked pattern painted on it? If so, I am leaving that, just taking off the black check pattern.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Can anyone confirm if removing the metal badge on the back affects vibration dampening, or is it purely aesthetic?

I believe there is more to it. look at this set on ebay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222734345661

the 4 iron is missing the badge and there’s some foam behind it and it looks like it’s partially holding the rzn insert in