Still playing Nike Vapor Combos?

jklcmo

My curiosity with these is through the roof. Picked up a set a few weeks back and it seems the previous owner attempted to MM Proto them and used sand paper on the badge instead of just wiping it off. I ended up picking up a brand new set of Vapor Pros for $200 and MM Proto'd them myself. Used them today for the first time and man are the lower irons interesting to hit. I ended up removing the one badge on one of the VPC's because it was pretty beat up. How much would it really affect removing the foam behind the badge? Not going to lie, the forgiveness in the lower irons on the VPC's is truly what sets these clubs apart. Any input is appreciated.

My assumption is the head will feel a bit hollower, not as soft, maybe slightly more vibration to it.

My curiosity with these is through the roof. Picked up a set a few weeks back and it seems the previous owner attempted to MM Proto them and used sand paper on the badge instead of just wiping it off. I ended up picking up a brand new set of Vapor Pros for $200 and MM Proto'd them myself. Used them today for the first time and man are the lower irons interesting to hit. I ended up removing the one badge on one of the VPC's because it was pretty beat up. How much would it really affect removing the foam behind the badge? Not going to lie, the forgiveness in the lower irons on the VPC's is truly what sets these clubs apart. Any input is appreciated.

My assumption is the head will feel a bit hollower, not as soft, maybe slightly more vibration to it.

I believe your correct. Just to be on the safe side I picked up another set of VPCs in MINT shape for $200 last night. So I have a few extra heads if anyone wants to see if they can fix the badge or just ignore them. I may test the theory on a sim later this week. The sticky residue under it is a true pain to remove.

The "foam" is just two-way tape to hold the emblem. It's similar to auto-body tape, not that big of a deal. It is there to take up the extra space in the middle of the cavity where the RZN insert slides down. You can see it in the picture I posted on the previous page.

Did you try hitting the club you should photos of above after your removed the tape? My RZN insert is staying firmly inside currently. Im not sure that would be the case once i start playing with it with the tape removed.

Finally got back on the course last night. I put the VPCs back in the bag. Wish I could say that I striped them, but the swing was rough. Felt good to have the irons back in action though.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I'm looking for a spare set for vapor pro, and I see there are amt s300 and just stiff s300. Are they different?

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

Did you try hitting the club you should photos of above after your removed the tape? My RZN insert is staying firmly inside currently. Im not sure that would be the case once i start playing with it with the tape removed.

I did not. Ended up pulling the heads and currently have them stashed, but have debated about selling them. They are nice, but I do like the forgiveness of my TM irons. Since the VPC's look so nice, they will be hard to part with. Had a brand new set of heads I sold, and if I ever play them again, will just pick up another used set to tinker with.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I try not to mess with anything that affects feel or performance. I like the RZN polymer. (PXG loved the comcept.) Why take it out?

Your point on the lower irons being easy to launch is also what I love about them. I just want a different shaft. Am thinking PX 5.5, CTL X flex or maybe Nippon Modus 125.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I try not to mess with anything that affects feel or performance. I like the RZN polymer. (PXG loved the comcept.) Why take it out?

Your point on the lower irons being easy to launch is also what I love about them. I just want a different shaft. Am thinking PX 5.5, CTL X flex or maybe Nippon Modus 125.

I don't he's talking about removing the RZN insert in the mid-long irons that slips down into the heart of the club, I think he is talking about the badge on the back of the club - the silver piece that has the "three prong" designs on it - if you remove that there is a piece of foam behind that to keep the metal badge from touching the metal iron.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I'm looking for a spare set for vapor pro, and I see there are amt s300 and just stiff s300. Are they different?

The normal S300's are constant weight throughout the set, the AMT's get lighter in the long irons - I know a few posters round here parts who are big fans.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I don't he's talking about removing the RZN insert in the mid-long irons that slips down into the heart of the club, I think he is talking about the badge on the back of the club - the silver piece that has the "three prong" designs on it - if you remove that there is a piece of foam behind that to keep the metal badge from touching the metal iron.

Correct. The RZN is staying in. I was referring to the badge. Since mine were all screwed up I just thought about removing them but didn't know if they actually had any functionality to them or just cosmetic. It appears cosmetic. I tried everything I could to straighten them out to no avail which is why I decided to get another set.

Ive tried them with stock shafts as well as some steelfibers and I must admit I was a fan of how they performed with them. Im currently looking for a used set of modus myself.

Got it. That little metal piece does get beat up and dented. I am hoping it looks better once I do the MM Proto on my set. My project for the winter is to strip them down, reshaft with one of 3 choices and regrip with CP2 Tour wraps. Will be fun to refresh such a great head and get them back on the course. This is a set with long irons so good I can put the 4 iron back in!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Got it. That little metal piece does get beat up and dented. I am hoping it looks better once I do the MM Proto on my set. My project for the winter is to strip them down, reshaft with one of 3 choices and regrip with CP2 Tour wraps. Will be fun to refresh such a great head and get them back on the course. This is a set with long irons so good I can put the 4 iron back in!

I agree 100%. SO much so I just sold my UDI 2 iron to pick up a 2 iron combo. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake. Only time will tell.

Coming from a guy who’s used to hate 3 woods and 3 irons - I love the VPC 2. I can tee it up or use it off the fairway without hesitation. It’s that good.

Agree. Brought out 2 iron today and it was money.

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Driver
Nike Covert 2.0 Performance 3/5
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2 Iron
Nike Vapor Pro 4-P
Taylormade ATV Grind 56°/60°
Nike Origin B1-01 putter
Nike Hyperadapt bag

Also side question. Does anyone here have any experience with a vapor speed or vapor fly pro as a driving iron? I’m curious as a comparison compared to my Taylormade udi I had. I liked the size of the udi for off the tee but it was a bit harder to hit off the turf. Which would be closer as a comparison the speed or vapor fly?

Also side question. Does anyone here have any experience with a vapor speed or vapor fly pro as a driving iron? I’m curious as a comparison compared to my Taylormade udi I had. I liked the size of the udi for off the tee but it was a bit harder to hit off the turf. Which would be closer as a comparison the speed or vapor fly?

I used the Vapor Fly Pro last year as a driving iron. I put a UST Axivcore 85 shaft in it. It was great off the tee but was useless for me off the deck (but I do suffer from trajectile disfunction). I ended up going back to a three Hybrid. I think overall size it would be closer to the UDI. Vapor Speed is much bigger, but it would be the more forgiving club.

I used the Vapor Fly Pro last year as a driving iron. I put a UST Axivcore 85 shaft in it. It was great off the tee but was useless for me off the deck (but I do suffer from trajectile disfunction). I ended up going back to a three Hybrid. I think overall size it would be closer to the UDI. Vapor Speed is much bigger, but it would be the more forgiving club.

I bought a set of the VFP's last year when they first came out and really liked them but never used anything below a 4. This year I forced myself to use a 2 and 3 quite a bit and I must admit I really enjoy hitting them now specifically a 2. I know the speed would be more forgiving but I was just wondering what peoples experience were on using either as a driving iron (not necessarily a 2).

I've got a Vapor Fly Pro 2-iron with a C-Taper fitted. Off the tee it is great, long and completely unimpressed by cross winds - off the deck it's a bit more mixed, fine in summer, not much use out of the mud in winter.

Can't compare it to a Vapor Speed, I can compare it to my OG Blade 2 iron though. VFP is slightly longer, OG Blade is more accurate and nicer off the turf. OG Blade is in the bag currently, this does tend to change depending upon mood however.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Coming from a guy who's used to hate 3 woods and 3 irons - I love the VPC 2. I can tee it up or use it off the fairway without hesitation. It's that good.

Where did you find yours? Ive only found 1 from Dallas golf but its a vapor fly pro and $170. Bit steep but it is brand new. Nothing on eBay.

Dallas golf is where I got mine. $90 with DG X100 shaft

Well crap. I caved and picked up the Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron and the "Oven" VPC 3 iron to complete my set on its way.

Good call. That is going to be a sweet set.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Well crap. I caved and picked up the Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron and the "Oven" VPC 3 iron from Dallas Golf to complete my set on its way.

Fly Pro 2 should be a beast of a driving iron. I guess to elaborate on my previous answer, the Fly Pro 3 iron I had was really good off the tee. My idea was to use it off short par 4s as a driving iron. And it was good for that reason. In the long run, I just didn't seem to need it that much. Maybe 1 time a round off the tee. The hybrid was better when I needed it off the ground, so the 3 iron got benched.

Well crap. I caved and picked up the Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron and the "Oven" VPC 3 iron from Dallas Golf to complete my set on its way.

Fly Pro 2 should be a beast of a driving iron. I guess to elaborate on my previous answer, the Fly Pro 3 iron I had was really good off the tee. My idea was to use it off short par 4s as a driving iron. And it was good for that reason. In the long run, I just didn't seem to need it that much. Maybe 1 time a round off the tee. The hybrid was better when I needed it off the ground, so the 3 iron got benched.

The past few rounds I've played up here before the end of the season were incredibly windy for our proximity to lake michigan. Ive grown to prefer my lower irons off the tee than my 3 wood or driver. Im just hoping I do a bit better with the VPC 3 iron vs. the Vapor Pro 3 iron.

Correct. The RZN is staying in. I was referring to the badge. Since mine were all screwed up I just thought about removing them but didn't know if they actually had any functionality to them or just cosmetic. It appears cosmetic. I tried everything I could to straighten them out to no avail which is why I decided to get another set.

Ive tried them with stock shafts as well as some steelfibers and I must admit I was a fan of how they performed with them. Im currently looking for a used set of modus myself.

I removed one as well, I just dont like the ugly casting mark in the cavity, that is why I had to buy a spare =)

Going to be shafting with SSx1 modus 120X