Still playing Nike Vapor Combos?

jklcmo

I picked up some VP heads in 5-P and VPC long irons in 2, 3 and 4 (yes, 2i!) on BST and did the MM proto treatment. Going to shaft them with Nippon Pro modus 120S shafts.

It’s a shame that the season has ended. Can’t wait for spring to take these out for a spin. Might have to make trip or two down to warmer climes to play a few rounds over the winter.

I really like that shaft. I play the stiff hard-stepped once in my Mizunos. That is an intriguing combo in the VPC. How did the MM proto turn out?

The Volt swoosh and Black PVD came out pretty easily. Have filled the swoosh with black paint once, but I did not do a very clean job. Going to clean up and redo this weekend. Will post pictures.

Pics?

This discussion is looking me. I have been playing the vr_s forged since they came out and now I am looking at an mp18 combo set to replace them to have more nimble short irons. Now reading this I am re-thinking the mp18 since the short irons here look like they are able to create shots with. Anyone hit the mp18 and can compare to the VPC? It would save me a whole lot of money.

I️ have the VPCs and MP18 SCs. While I️ like the MP18 heads, I’m having a hard time getting used to the PX LZ 5.5 shafts. Always been a DGS300 Guy. The heads are very forgiving for what they are. Definitely giving them some more time before I️ make a decision on them. I figure worst case, the break with them in the bag extends the life of my VPCs. They are starting to show major wear on some of the faces.

The VPCs are simply the best irons I’ve ever had.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I picked up some VP heads in 5-P and VPC long irons in 2, 3 and 4 (yes, 2i!) on BST and did the MM proto treatment. Going to shaft them with Nippon Pro modus 120S shafts.

It’s a shame that the season has ended. Can’t wait for spring to take these out for a spin. Might have to make trip or two down to warmer climes to play a few rounds over the winter.

I really like that shaft. I play the stiff hard-stepped once in my Mizunos. That is an intriguing combo in the VPC. How did the MM proto turn out?

The Volt swoosh and Black PVD came out pretty easily. Have filled the swoosh with black paint once, but I did not do a very clean job. Going to clean up and redo this weekend. Will post pictures.

Pics?

Here's some on-course and in the bag photos of my Vapor Pro's w/ the MM Proto treatment done.

Nike should have sold them with that look. Much better than the factory version. Really nice job.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Pics?

Here's some on-course and in the bag photos of my Vapor Pro's w/ the MM Proto treatment done.

I gotta do that to mine! I think I might just go for a raw look and don’t even put black paint in

did nike ever make a "sand wedge" option for the vapor pro combo? I can only find info on sets going down to "AW" but I'm looking at a set on eBay that says 4-SW. Any guesses as to what they might include? I even confirmed with them that it's "PW, AW, SW" included

edit: bahhhhhhh.... they listed vapor speeds as vapor pro combos. glad I figured out that before buying.

also, my current specs on my ping irons are 1/2" long and 2 degrees upright. that's pretty difficult to come by in a used set of VPC. what do you guys think would be an easier fix? finding the 2 UP so I can re-shaft or finding +1/2" and getting them bent upright?

I think I am going to strip the Volt and black PVD. What are you guys using to strip the PVD?? I started with CitriStrip and its not working ideal. Maybe I just need a little more.

The Volt comes out with CitriStrip, but the PVD won't. Need to use sandpaper and rub it out. Takes about 10 minutes per club. Start with medium and then use a fine grain.

did nike ever make a "sand wedge" option for the vapor pro combo? I can only find info on sets going down to "AW" but I'm looking at a set on eBay that says 4-SW. Any guesses as to what they might include? I even confirmed with them that it's "PW, AW, SW" included

edit: bahhhhhhh.... they listed vapor speeds as vapor pro combos. glad I figured out that before buying.

also, my current specs on my ping irons are 1/2" long and 2 degrees upright. that's pretty difficult to come by in a used set of VPC. what do you guys think would be an easier fix? finding the 2 UP so I can re-shaft or finding +1/2" and getting them bent upright?

It's much cheaper to have someone bend upright than it is to re-shaft irons (unless you just add a 1/2' extension).

I think I am going to strip the Volt and black PVD. What are you guys using to strip the PVD?? I started with CitriStrip and its not working ideal. Maybe I just need a little more.

The Volt comes out with CitriStrip, but the PVD won't. Need to use sandpaper and rub it out. Takes about 10 minutes per club. Start with medium and then use a fine grain.

Perfect! Going to work on that this weekend.

#ForTheShoe

Man, OP here. This thread is making think I should pick up another set as back up.

That's what I did. I have two back-up sets of the Vapor Pros lying around at home. Don't see myself switching any time soon, and with the current prices I got two sets of brand new Pros for about $550 total. Couldn't resist.

Titleist TSr2 9* - Ventus Blue TR 6X

Titleist TS3 15* - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TS2 18* - Ventus Black 8X

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist 620 MB 4-P - PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 Raw 52F / 56M / WW 60T

Nike 006 Rory Prototype

As promised, here are the results of the MM Proto treatment. Pics taken this evening in poor light, and they look nicer in person. Very glad I did this.

Before:

After:

Can't take full credit for the two VPCs with shafts in them in the last pic. Bought them off BST and the seller did the work, but I had to clean, polish and refinish it some more.

Sold! I'm heading to home depot tomorrow to try this...any tips, dos and don'ts? How long does each club take?

I'd say 10-15 min/club if you want to do it right.

The last thing you want to do is take shortcuts and strip too much finish off.....if you see what looks like gold-ish silver plating, you've gone too deep. Sandpaper won't ever do this, but a power tool will.

Also, tape off the other parts of the head - you don't want to accidentally rub the sandpaper against a bunch of other portions of the head and mark them up.

Oh and don't get CitriStrip or any paint stripped on your ferrules. It'll chew through them in a matter of seconds.

Sold! I'm heading to home depot tomorrow to try this...any tips, dos and don'ts? How long does each club take?

Pretty simple. Plenty of people have given detailed instructions. Just google or search around. Here is what I did:

Stuff you need: Citristrip gel, small paintbrush, Exacto knife, sandpaper (medium and fine), testors black enamel paint, I got one of those small plastic bottles with a fine tip, but you could just use a toothpick, nail polish remover / Acetone. I managed to get everything at a local ACE here in the city

Clean-up the Volt: Start with spreading the gel on to the Volt swoosh with the paintbrush. Be generous and let it sit overnight. Takes about 10 minutes tops. Next day, scrape the paint out with a toothpick and use the Exact knife only for the stubborn stuff that refuses to come out. Or near the end tips of the swoosh. Wipe clean with kitchen roll and Acetone. Takes about 20-30 minutes total.

Remove the PVD: This won't come out with Citristrip. Need to rub it out with the sandpaper. Start with medium and then finish with fine. Key here is to be patient and always try and rub it in the same general direction. Think it will make the grain seem smoother and more like the rest of the club. About 10 minutes per club. This was the hardest step (but really not that hard). Clean with Acetone and let dry

Paint in the swoosh: This was the only step that took some finesse and I messed up my first attempt by putting too much paint into the swoosh. Good news is that you can just clean up with Acetone and start over anytime you like. What worked for me was to put a few drops in the middle, and tilt the club head to let the paint flow out to the corners and along the sides. Let it dry overnight.

If needed, use a kitchen roll dipped in Acetone and clean up any paint that runs over or outside the swoosh. Usually happens near the sharp tips, and couple of swipes should take care of it. Allow plenty of time to dry.

Last step: take some pics and share!

PS: please make sure to take the usual precautions. Don't get Citristrip or Acetone on to stuff, use a cloth or paper towel as base, open windows when using Acetone and paint, wash and clean hands and area after done, etc.

you prob don't need to strip the volt first. couldn't you just paint some black enamel over the top of it?

You are probably right, but I read in one of the older posts that it was better to do that. Apparently the other person found that the Volt filled up the swoosh cavity quite well and did not leave room for enough black to settle down and fully cover it. Not saying that I found this to be the case, but went ahead and took the Volt out anyways.

Congrats. They look both timeless and like a club that could come out two years from now.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Still love mine. Need to mmproto treat them but solid.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

2nd round with my newly acquired VPC’s. Christ, these things are good!!!! I have no use for my i200s anymore. I like the way these look, feel and perform. It’s also really fun seeing the ball spin back on the green from all lies. It was also really fun hitting a 5 iron from 193 and the ball spinning back a little.

Im almost positive these are the gamers for 2018.

#ForTheShoe

2nd round with my newly acquired VPC’s. Christ, these things are good!!!! I have no use for my i200s anymore. I like the way these look, feel and perform. It’s also really fun seeing the ball spin back on the green from all lies. It was also really fun hitting a 5 iron from 193 and the ball spinning back a little.

Was with ya till you said almost positive...gotta show full commitment meng

Was with ya till you said almost positive...gotta show full commitment meng

Lmbo! Full commitment is so hard.. however, I am like 95% committed. Leaning really hard at it.

#ForTheShoe

What's making me quit?

Clubs are not the issue.

Acceptance that my swing needs more work; fairway and hybrid shafts need fitting.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions