2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Going Old School - 8802

A.Princey

Went to using a flow neck with great success and I'm going to pick up a 8802ish style head to take the toe hang even further. I forward press a lot and use a relatively short putter length, so early Phil is my goal.

It's really hard to find many models, much less any used ones that aren't already beat to hell. I've got my eye on one and hope it suits me well.

My wedge game is strong at short distances using a putting motion and with 8802/Napa's, the head is all toe hang. Seeing as it's very much like my putting stroke, I think a similar look while putting is going to pay off as a seamless transition to the green. No hosel or plumbers neck distractions, just the face and the ball...

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Many still using 8802 blades??!

Edel Brick

I've recently made the switch to an odyssey #9, just love how the stroke feels with a heel shafted putter, all the toe hang malarkey I think is cobblers, for me and with my setup I have less arc and less face rotation using this style putter.

Struggled to find an 8802 with an alignment line on so I decided to get a white hot pro 9 off ebay for a snip

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I'm going to embrace the lack of alignment aids and just roll the ball. I think the small fraction of a second I spend looking at the alignment puts doubt in my head sometimes. Lingering too long over a putt tenses it all up.

• Like 1

Edel Brick

Hey Rob you know I got something to say about 8802 style blade.

A.Princey

My favorite putter type by far. I game a wilson staff 8813. But the napa and bb2 are among my favorites. You may like the Odyssey pt82 which is modeled after what Phil used to win the masters...very soft. Check out my collection there is a picture of one and a few others.

Just won an Odyssey Black Series #8 on the bay. 61$ and looks blemish free. I like the 8802 curved back edge vs the filleted back edge is the Napa variation. The two piece construction might feel different than a solid one-piece head though???8ae40b07735219010262ec8c8a9b4c83.jpg

Edel Brick

I'm going to embrace the lack of alignment aids and just roll the ball. I think the small fraction of a second I spend looking at the alignment puts doubt in my head sometimes. Lingering too long over a putt tenses it all up.

Welcome to the 8802 club (cool)

That's a nice pick up of the Odyssey #8 btw.

I've been using 8802 style putters with no alignment marks for the past year or so. Whilst still not being exactly "Phil-like" in my putting ability, I am certainly a lot better and more relaxed over the ball than I used to be.

There is quite a long thread on here about the merits of no alignment aids and how they help some folk -

http://www.golfwrx.c...e-the-benefits/

Among my collection of 8802/Napa's that I play quite regularly are a 1995 Scotty Napa, The Wilson 8802, Staff 8802, Cobra Blade, Old Master W802 and MacGregor VIP. And quite a few others that haven't yet been in the rotation (mostly those with lines like the Yes Sophia).

If you are after an early Phil putter, the Yonex Super ADX Forged is a beauty that I also have.

Here's a few of them -

IMG_1687.jpg

This is my go to style of putter also. I have at least 15 different lefty 8802 style putters including one Mickelson gamed (7* of loft due to his forward press). I like to play them a half inch shorter that my other putters for what ever reason. The feedback you get is what I like best. It is hard to control for me when using as a Texas Wedge (putting off the green) and less forgiving is what I like least.

Keeping the alignment in check and getting the ball started on right path can be issue on days. I really like the Pelz's Putting Tutor for helping calibrate my eyes. It doesn't take much to change the loft or face angle and miss 3 footers. I will also mention that the "sweet spot" is not necessarily the middle of the face. Sometime more towards the heel but play around to find what works best and gives you the consistent results.

KJ

TM M5 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Ping 410H 19* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2  or one of my T.P. Mills handmade 

I think many times in my use of plumbers necks and the sort, I kept re-positioning the head such that the sweet-spot was midway between the neck and toe, rather than centered down the sightline. This had me feeling toe hits quite often as I'd tend to strike the ball more toe side than recommended.

Hopefully, with the neck completely out of the way, I can focus on the ball and just make a mental frame of the putter head instead of actually doing a line up w/ a sight aid. I still think shorter heel-to-toe will help as well. I've definitely gotten more mechanical with my putting approach and it has helped inside 10 feet, but longer putts and speed sensitive ones are much tougher now. The longer my thought process, the worse my feel is, and then distance control becomes a problem.

Edel Brick

I think many times in my use of plumbers necks and the sort, I kept re-positioning the head such that the sweet-spot was midway between the neck and toe, rather than centered down the sightline. This had me feeling toe hits quite often as I'd tend to strike the ball more toe side than recommended.

Hopefully, with the neck completely out of the way, I can focus on the ball and just make a mental frame of the putter head instead of actually doing a line up w/ a sight aid. I still think shorter heel-to-toe will help as well. I've definitely gotten more mechanical with my putting approach and it has helped inside 10 feet, but longer putts and speed sensitive ones are much tougher now. The longer my thought process, the worse my feel is, and then distance control becomes a problem.

I used to find the same issue http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry12565012

and I love the way the heel shafted flow neck on the odyssey 9 frames the ball

Always been a fan of this style.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

Picked up a Yes! Sophia and haven’t looked back since, absolutely love it. After struggling with putting for years, I now find it much easier to see the line and hit it on the line. After taking a few rounds to get used to the 8802 style, i now don’t understand how having half a ball offset on number 1 style putter helps at all with lining up.

Always loved the 8802, tried and tried with no luck, switched between flow neck and plumbers, then 5 years ago this entered the bag,,,,,

wow!

• 2 weeks later...

Being left eye dominate and pulling my putts, it was suggested by many OEMs I to go a toe hang putter. I like min. to no aiming lines, therefore liking the looks of 8802 style putters. Looking at Wilson and Ping Sigma Tess for this yr.

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Being left eye dominate and pulling my putts, it was suggested by many OEMs I to go a toe hang putter. I like min. to no aiming lines, therefore liking the looks of 8802 style putters. Looking at Wilson and Ping Sigma Tess for this yr.

Golf64 take a look at the Tad Moore tour classic (the barn finds are nice) and the bb2 bettinardi. Just a couple more options.

This is my go to style of putter also. I have at least 15 different lefty 8802 style putters including one Mickelson gamed (7* of loft due to his forward press). I like to play them a half inch shorter that my other putters for what ever reason. The feedback you get is what I like best. It is hard to control for me when using as a Texas Wedge (putting off the green) and less forgiving is what I like least.

Keeping the alignment in check and getting the ball started on right path can be issue on days. I really like the Pelz's Putting Tutor for helping calibrate my eyes. It doesn't take much to change the loft or face angle and miss 3 footers. I will also mention that the "sweet spot" is not necessarily the middle of the face. Sometime more towards the heel but play around to find what works best and gives you the consistent results.

KJ

using this style putter will eventually force you to become a better putter. you must concentrate on EVERY putt. even the 3 footers. when you miss -you know exactly why-instantly.

73 hogan apex

a true 8802, Arnold Palmer, Napa style putter, has a huge huge alignment edge. its that big fat top line. very hard to not line it it up. just putt a little toward the heel for a normal stroke, a little toward the center or toe for a downhill fast stroke. no alignment my rear end. has the best one every made. use your eyes.

Golf64 take a look at the Tad Moore tour classic (the barn finds are nice) and the bb2 bettinardi. Just a couple more options.

Love that look! We can't get Tad Moores here, that I know of?! Bettis are $500 here plus 13% taxes. Too rich for my blood!

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I have about 30-40 8802 style putters, last season was the first where I didn't have one get significant run ( rolled a few hell shafted models, a bullseye, and a spider tour at end of the season). Honestly, I always comeback because of speed control on longer putts, and then usually end up leaving again because of the precision required on shorter putts. I have the odyssey model that you have but the offset was very difficult to get used to, If I remember it was a whole shaft where as most of my others are a half shaft or less

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

Just won an Odyssey Black Series #8 on the bay. 61$ and looks blemish free. I like the 8802 curved back edge vs the filleted back edge is the Napa variation. The two piece construction might feel different than a solid one-piece head though???8ae40b07735219010262ec8c8a9b4c83.jpg

This is my gamer. I think it probably does feel different than traditional 8802s... But mainly bc it's heavier. I love the roll off of it. I think of the differences as a "modern" 8802.

Picked up BB2 recently, it's the first time I dared using a blade design for a putter. Really like it. Distance control is phenomenal, alignment a breeze and appreciate the honesty of stroke it conveys. It's done a lot of good in changing how I swing a putter. The BB2 is sweet feeling, wish I did not wait so long to give 8802 style a try.