An Eight Club Golf Bag

Sean2

I have a 9 club + putter setup that I love.

I had my irons built for me back when Scratch Golf were a thing, and I really have only tinkered with grips and the putter a couple of times over the journey.

Personally, I cannot stand graphite ... it just gives me nothing in terms of real improvement, so I still have steel all the way through my set. The two Callaway woods are just something I have had for so long that I seem to understand the softer Memphis10 in those two.

Anyway - I had all of my gaps set at 6 degrees, and they are a bit flatter and heavier than a standard setup for a 6 foot 2 player. MOI matched for weight:

-----------------------

Scratch EZ-1 irons (DG S300)

23 loft 3.5-iron, 57.2 lie, 38.4", 4* bounce (190m)

29 loft 5-iron, 58.4 lie, 37.8", 6* bounce (170m)

35 loft 6.5-iron, 59.6 lie, 37.2", 6* bounce (150m)

41 loft 8-iron, 60.8 lie, 36.6". 9* bounce (130m)

Scratch 1018 Forged Wedge (DG S300)

47 loft wedge, 62.0 lie, 36.0", 8* bounce (110m)

Callaway X-Series Jaws Wedge (Forged R MD)

54 loft wedge, 64.0 lie, 35.4", 16* bounce (85m)

-----------------------

I have 20 metre gaps between the irons, the sand wedge gap is a bit bigger but I like the wedge enough that I can work around it. I like to explode or trap with my SW around the green hence the big bounce is no issue.

-----------------------

Driver

Titleist 975D, 8.5 loft, DG S300 shaft 43" (250m)

Woods

Callaway Big Bertha Strong 4W+, 15 loft, Memphis 10 steel, 42" (220m)

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 7W, 20 loft, Memphis 10 steel, 41" (200m)

-----------------------

The Driver is very reliable, and I can hit it low if need be ... and I almost NEVER hit it left.

The 4W+ is bit of a beast, and I use it off the tee for holes that require me to hit a draw ... and for the long attacks on Par 5s.

The Heavenwood is useful when the lie is no good and you are a long way out or you need height in the shot - and the 3.5 iron just is not gonna get it done. I also use it for bump and runs around the green sometimes.

-----------------------

Cleveland Classic Belly Putter (72 lie, 3 loft) cut to 37.5 inches, Lamkin FlatCat (standard).

-----------------------

I like a heavy putter, and just upgraded the grip from my old Ping Palm-lock ... feels pretty decent so far.

They all sit in my Ping Moonlite bag.

I have a 9 club + putter setup that I love.

I had my irons built for me back when Scratch Golf were a thing, and I really have only tinkered with grips and the putter a couple of times over the journey.

Personally, I cannot stand graphite ... it just gives me nothing in terms of real improvement, so I still have steel all the way through my set. The two Callaway woods are just something I have had for so long that I seem to understand the softer Memphis10 in those two.

Anyway - I had all of my gaps set at 6 degrees, and they are a bit flatter and heavier than a standard setup for a 6 foot 2 player. MOI matched for weight:

-----------------------

Scratch EZ-1 irons (DG S300)

23 loft 3.5-iron, 57.2 lie, 38.4", 4* bounce (190m)

29 loft 5-iron, 58.4 lie, 37.8", 6* bounce (170m)

35 loft 6.5-iron, 59.6 lie, 37.2", 6* bounce (150m)

41 loft 8-iron, 60.8 lie, 36.6". 9* bounce (130m)

Scratch 1018 Forged Wedge (DG S300)

47 loft wedge, 62.0 lie, 36.0", 8* bounce (110m)

Callaway X-Series Jaws Wedge (Forged R MD)

54 loft wedge, 64.0 lie, 35.4", 16* bounce (85m)

-----------------------

I have 20 metre gaps between the irons, the sand wedge gap is a bit bigger but I like the wedge enough that I can work around it. I like to explode or trap with my SW around the green hence the big bounce is no issue.

-----------------------

Driver

Titleist 975D, 8.5 loft, DG S300 shaft 43" (250m)

Woods

Callaway Big Bertha Strong 4W+, 15 loft, Memphis 10 steel, 42" (220m)

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 7W, 20 loft, Memphis 10 steel, 41" (200m)

-----------------------

The Driver is very reliable, and I can hit it low if need be ... and I almost NEVER hit it left.

The 4W+ is bit of a beast, and I use it off the tee for holes that require me to hit a draw ... and for the long attacks on Par 5s.

The Heavenwood is useful when the lie is no good and you are a long way out or you need height in the shot - and the 3.5 iron just is not gonna get it done. I also use it for bump and runs around the green sometimes.

-----------------------

Cleveland Classic Belly Putter (72 lie, 3 loft) cut to 37.5 inches, Lamkin FlatCat (standard).

-----------------------

I like a heavy putter, and just upgraded the grip from my old Ping Palm-lock ... feels pretty decent so far.

They all sit in my Ping Moonlite bag.

That is really cool what you did. I know one of the challenges is gapping, and you took care of that quite nicely. :-)

So, I think I am ready to fully commit.

I have sold the bulk of my equipment. Keeping some odds and ends, c taper pulls, couple of drivers and that’s about it.

Looking to do:

Driver: 816 Big Bertha Alpha (Rogue 70 X)

2i: callaway x Forged (project x 6.5)

5i, 7i, 9i and A: Callaway Apex MB (possibly TM P730)

58*: PM Grind or L Grind (although looking at the Edels too)

Putter: whatever random one from my surplus that pisses me off less than the others

Of course, all clubs can be swapped (I am also considering the Cobra MBs and 718 MB), but this will put me BACK on the road of freedom and less constrictions.

I have sold the bulk of my equipment. Keeping some odds and ends, c taper pulls, couple of drivers and that's about it.

Looking to do:

Putter: whatever random one from my surplus that pisses me off less than the others

Of course, all clubs can be swapped (I am also considering the Cobra MBs and 718 MB), but this will put me BACK on the road of freedom and less constrictions.

Looks nice, it's a set that needs you to hit fairways and get inside that 5 iron length! Your only clubs outside your 5-iron are the 2-iron and Driver.

Checking the lofts on the Callaway Apex irons:

3 19°

4 21.5°

5 24°

6 27°

7 31°

8 35°

9 40°

PW 45°

AW 50°

SW 55°

If you want to keep the gaps more consistant ... then maybe:

4 21.5°

7 31°

9 40°

AW 50°

Now the difference between the 2i and the 4i might not be big enough, so maybe a 3 / 4 wood or a strong hybrid will fit better, and give you more flexibility on the course?

The sand / lob wedge is completely personal preference, but definitely should be well clear of the AW ... so 58 degrees of loft or more.

I have sold the bulk of my equipment. Keeping some odds and ends, c taper pulls, couple of drivers and that's about it.

Looking to do:

Looks nice, it's a set that needs you to hit fairways and get inside that 5 iron length! Your only clubs outside your 5-iron are the 2-iron and Driver.

3 19°

4 21.5°

5 24°

6 27°

7 31°

8 35°

9 40°

PW 45°

AW 50°

SW 55°

4 21.5°

7 31°

9 40°

AW 50°

Now the difference between the 2i and the 4i might not be big enough, so maybe a 3 / 4 wood or a strong hybrid will fit better, and give you more flexibility on the course?

The sand / lob wedge is completely personal preference, but definitely should be well clear of the AW ... so 58 degrees of loft or more.

Yup, my 5i I can get out to 205 ish with me turning it over. I do agree with you on the need to keep the loft spaces evenly, and I tent to want a stonger club then hit a cut or take something off (instead of trying to scorch one).

The funny thing is, I looked at the apex mb specs (on the raw euro version, I will figure this part out later) and they are different than the American specs. Is that weird?

Looking to do:

3 19°

4 21.5°

5 24°

6 27°

7 31°

8 35°

9 40°

PW 45°

AW 50°

SW 55°

4 21.5°

7 31°

9 40°

AW 50°

Yup, my 5i I can get out to 205 ish with me turning it over. I do agree with you on the need to keep the loft spaces evenly, and I tent to want a stonger club then hit a cut or take something off (instead of trying to scorch one).

The funny thing is, I looked at the apex mb specs (on the raw euro version, I will figure this part out later) and they are different than the American specs. Is that weird?

The other way people do it ... is to cover an area of yardages really closely, and leave huge gaps on purpose.

So you have something like:

Driver

3 hybrid

7,8,9,PW

LW

You just try and get into your scoring zone, and play from there.

Both ways work well for different people. I'm more of the "get it to the green and let my putting make my score" ... I'm not that much better with a 9-iron than I am with a 5 iron from the middle of the fairway :-( But I'm a pretty good player off the tee and not bad at making shots work ... so I play to those strengths.

High cut with that 8 iron.

I miss Cleveland.

TA3, CGtour, 588 MB..... srixon is ok, but I do miss Cleveland irons.

Last fall, I hit the new CBX irons and they are pretty nice. They also have a hibore set as well. Don’t know if they will make more player style irons though, that may be Srixons domain now.

I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.

I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.

I played the Canadian am and the Canadian mid am last year with 10 clubs because I wanted to see if i could. I played the whole year and qualifying with just Driver, 16* 4 wood 4/6/8/9/PW/ 52* 58* + Putter.

I feel like over 4 days i'm 2 shots worse maybe with 10 vs 14.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

9be3af697b55b8facb6439647bbf6141.jpg

Used this this morning and was one Stableford point better than handicap... Yes it is nine clubs and I could probably leave the 3 wood out of the bag next time to get down to eight.

I did struggle with one par 3 when I really needed a nine iron

Nice set-up. Good result. I have fond memories of the Hibore days.

Oh, and don't worry too much about maybe dropping the 3W.

Nine clubs still qualifies you as a true Minimalist Golfer, at least imho.

I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.

I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.

I played the Canadian am and the Canadian mid am last year with 10 clubs because I wanted to see if i could. I played the whole year and qualifying with just Driver, 16* 4 wood 4/6/8/9/PW/ 52* 58* + Putter.

I feel like over 4 days i'm 2 shots worse maybe with 10 vs 14.

Thanks for the info. I was asking because I am starting to play in some senior events and want to drop the 4 wood (not consistent enough) and some other clubs. I generally find that I play better when I carry so am looking for a way to lighten the load. Have tried the push cart option but just don't like it. I see you are a +2 so I am guessing I won't see that level of consistency but it's nice to see others carrying less in competitions.

High cut with that 8 iron.

I miss Cleveland.

TA3, CGtour, 588 MB..... srixon is ok, but I do miss Cleveland irons.

Funny you say that... bought a used set of TA3 forged (gunmetal) last week and really enjoying them.. playing 5-7-9-pw...

That’s awesome. Just one of those designs that will always have a place.

For those looking for a modern minimalist set ... the Ping "power loft" options present an opportunity to create half clubs.

For instance using G700 (https://ping.com/clubs/irons/g700):

4i - 20

6i - 26

8i - 32 power loft

9i - 39

UW - 47 power loft

SW - 54

Add in a putter and a club you want to hit off the tee (maybe this https://ping.com/clubs/fairways/g400-stretch) and you have a great "off the shelf" modern 8 club bag.

I’ve pretty much settled on two long irons, two short irons, two wedges, and two woods (+putter). I’ll add more if I’m riding that day or take out the driver if I’m on a short course.

If there is one club I find myself missing, it’s an extra short iron, which kind of surprised me. Also, I’m still tinkering quite a bit with wedge lofts.

I’ve been going this way for about three years now and shooting pretty much the same scores. Occasionally there will be a par three that is right on the number for a club I don’t have that day but it’s easy enough to work around.

I love the lighter load and the uncluttered bag.

Tried this combination recently, but I’m still experimenting.

Driver,

Hybrid,

7i,

8i,

9i,

PW,

LW,

Putter

Choked up on driver if I needed a shorter shot off the tee.

Hybrid comes up a lot shorter than my 3W but is more controllable.

My delofted 7i carries about 165, but rolls another 20 to 30 yards on medium to hard fairways.

Just got back from my Club Match Play Championship match. I advanced from the round of 64 last week and won 1 up today to go to the round of 16 using my 8-club bag. It's working for me.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E