An Eight Club Golf Bag

Sean2

I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.

I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.

Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.

Chick Evans... Played 7 clubs and won the US Open. Not bad and I am going back a bit. I think he won it in 1913...someone will correct me I think. But don't think many have in modern times have dine 7-8 clubs

The game has changed a ton (obviously equipment) but the greens on tour are WAY faster than they were back in the day (even compared to the nineties).

It would make this style of golf nearly impossible (on a consistent basis) on tour.

You might be surprised at how well pros can and would score with fewer clubs. They know their distances so well and can gear up or down to fill the gaps. One of my very good friends is a prominent Canadian on tour and I've played several rounds with him where he's used only 3 or 4 clubs and tears the course apart. All this said, having an arsenal of 14 clubs and knowing precisely what each one can and will do obviously gives them the best chance to win on the courses they play.

• Like 1

I'm curious. How many of you play in "legitimate" or sanctioned tournaments with a minimalist (10 clubs or less) bag. By legitimate I mean State Am, Senior State Am, or City Am etc. What were your results? After 3 rounds of competition did you find that you left strokes on the course because you were missing the "right" club for the situation? If so how many places on the leaderboard did that cost you? I think that would be extremely frustrating or do you just chalk up to missed opportunities in not performing the three quarter 8 iron or baby 3 hybrid to the best of your abilities.

I get the minimalist bag concept for practice but I would not want to go into a tournament without a full arsenal.

Good question. I don't think I have heard of anyone playing tournaments with a minimalist bag.

Chick Evans... Played 7 clubs and won the US Open. Not bad and I am going back a bit. I think he won it in 1913...someone will correct me I think. But don't think many have in modern times have dine 7-8 clubs

Chick Evans won the the US Open AND Amateur in 1916. He also won the US Amateur in 1920.

This is what Bobby Jones (who used a full set when playing) said when asked about Evans using only 7 clubs: "It's better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

PRICELESS

Chick Evans won the the US Open AND Amateur in 1916. He also won the US Amateur in 1920.

This is what Bobby Jones (who used a full set when playing) said when asked about Evans using only 7 clubs: "It's better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

PRICELESS

Great stuff!! I was a few years out

Interesting.

I also would figure that with their (generally speaking) higher club head speeds that their gaps would be too big for this to make logical sense.

Good post, I've heard the stories about guys playing well under par with a 5 iron or something

Bubba Watson like to play a few casual rounds a year with just a 5-iron.

PRICELESS

Great stuff!! I was a few years out

I'll give you points for at least taking a stab at it and for reminding me that it was Chick Evans who used 7 clubs!

Fun fact: Chick Evans won the 1916 US Open with 7 clubs in his bag. The norm back then was around 20.

15 years later someone asked Bobby Jones what he thought about Evans winning the US Open with only 7 clubs in his bag. Jones' quote is one of my all time favorites.

"It's better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14."

Great quote.

but I don't know about 20 clubs in 1916. Vardon was still playing with about 9. In 1916 Jones played in his first US Amateur at the age of 14; he later had a bag of 16 clubs, but at that point I doubt that he had that many.

It was in the 30's after steel came out that Lawson Little was using 33 clubs or so. I can't imagine carrying a bag with that many. Heck, I can't imagine carrying a bag with 16 hickories - they're darn heavy!

Many players had more than 14. I have a photo somewhere in my collection. A photo of Walter Hagen in the early 20s and you can count 20+ clubs including a couple of left handed clubs.

Driver, fairway, 23 Hybrid, 6i, 8i, 50; 59 and putter is my 8 for winter and summer night 6 holes.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I was listening to the No Laying Up Pod Cast today. IT was about their recent golf trip to Australia. The met a guy there named Simon Dick who only played 7 clubs. His reasoning was something like "in golf there are decision errors and action errors. More often than not, your decision errors will be more prevalent than your action errors so I cut my number of clubs in half to stop my self from making decision errors and force my self to avoid the action errors and it really helps my game."

I feel the same way. When I come to the ball, it is more obvious what club I am going to hit, so I just have to execute the shot.

Inspired by this thread, I played 18 today with a half set (irons 3,5,7,9,GW). I actually lowered my handicap, mostly because of great (for me) iron play. Consistently hitting the longer iron and making an easy strike worked surprisingly well. hit 9 greens in regulation and it didn’t feel ‘minimalist’ at all.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Inspired by this thread, I played 18 today with a half set (irons 3,5,7,9,GW). I actually lowered my handicap, mostly because of great (for me) iron play. Consistently hitting the longer iron and making an easy strike worked surprisingly well. hit 9 greens in regulation and it didn’t feel ‘minimalist’ at all.

Nice round. I find the same to be true. Typically club up when between clubs and choke down/swing a bit easier.

drn92

My first set of clubs was an old set of Wilson's. Blades of some sort. 3,5,7,9 a laminated Driver and 3 wood and a putter. While the 9 iron had plenty of loft I did pick up a Northwestern punch dot faced SW soon after. Played that set for quite a while. Funny thing is the way I learned to play I thought working the ball was a normal thing most people did. So it was 8 clubs...and I rarely hit the driver, that 3 wood was magic.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I was listening to the No Laying Up Pod Cast today. IT was about their recent golf trip to Australia. The met a guy there named Simon Dick who only played 7 clubs. His reasoning was something like "in golf there are decision errors and action errors. More often than not, your decision errors will be more prevalent than your action errors so I cut my number of clubs in half to stop my self from making decision errors and force my self to avoid the action errors and it really helps my game."

I feel the same way. When I come to the ball, it is more obvious what club I am going to hit, so I just have to execute the shot.

I like that. Kinda reminds me of that Bobby Jones quote mentioned earlier: “It’s better to be a master of 7 clubs than vaguely familiar with 14.”

Inspired by this thread, I played 18 today with a half set (irons 3,5,7,9,GW). I actually lowered my handicap, mostly because of great (for me) iron play. Consistently hitting the longer iron and making an easy strike worked surprisingly well. hit 9 greens in regulation and it didn't feel 'minimalist' at all.

I have read about a lot of similar results as yours, i.e., people scoring as well, or better, with fewer clubs.

I would go with this:

Driver

18* hybrid

4, 6, 8 irons

PW

53*

Putter

I think I would score about the same as normal with this, provided I don't get in a stuck position.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

My first set of clubs was an old set of Wilson's. Blades of some sort. 3,5,7,9 a laminated Driver and 3 wood and a putter. While the 9 iron had plenty of loft I did pick up a Northwestern punch dot faced SW soon after. Played that set for quite a while. Funny thing is the way I learned to play I thought working the ball was a normal thing most people did. So it was 8 clubs...and I rarely hit the driver, that 3 wood was magic.

My background is similar to yours ("Funny thing is the way I learned to play I thought working the ball was a normal thing most people did"). I also grew up playing on a short, tight course that rewarded accuracy over distance. The world needs more courses like this.

Working the ball & creating shots is a blast! :golfer:

My abbreviated bag. I use a Titleist Sunday Bag (brown) with a cut off alignment stick flex taped to the strap area. Pretty hill billy but adds a spine feature which makes it much easier to use. b15dec27883ef6162fbfc4dc456f8e18.jpg

Thats an awesome set up.

Witb?

Thanks!

Bertha mini with an Aldila Rouge 3 wood shaft set at 13*

Srixon z545 3 iron

Nike VR TW blades 5,7,9 S300

Nike VR 52* S400

Callaway PM Grind 60 KBS Stock

Odyssey PT82

It's all kind of old school with new tech (except the 3 iron).

Absolutely!

I played with an 8 club bag for 3 years until about 2 years ago (moved to an environment where walking is not promoted/allowed). I am going back to the 8 club bag this year.

I’m still honing down the equipment (ping s59.... but, I have C Tapers that I am going to try in them).

Think I will be doing:

Driver

2i (callaway XForged) Or something else (this spot is still in the air)

58 Pm or L Grind

Putter

I am looking at the new moonlite or Titleist premium carry. Right now I have a swift x.

Absolutely!

I played with an 8 club bag for 3 years until about 2 years ago (moved to an environment where walking is not promoted/allowed). I am going back to the 8 club bag this year.

I'm still honing down the equipment (ping s59.... but, I have C Tapers that I am going to try in them).

Think I will be doing:

Driver

58 Pm or L Grind

Putter

I am looking at the new moonlite or Titleist premium carry. Right now I have a swift x.

I'm considering the Sun Mountain 2.5+ bag. It's a small bag with a 4-way divider (organized!).

g800138-25-plus-black_png_egdetail.jpg

https://shop.sunmoun...328-detail.html

Absolutely!

I'm still honing down the equipment (ping s59.... but, I have C Tapers that I am going to try in them).

Think I will be doing:

Driver

58 Pm or L Grind

Putter

I'm considering the Sun Mountain 2.5+ bag. It's a small bag with a 4-way divider (organized!).

g800138-25-plus-black_png_egdetail.jpg

https://shop.sunmoun...328-detail.html

I have one and like it very much. It even has full length dividers.

I have a couple of Callaway Hyper Lite stand bags -- a 3.0 and a 3.5 with single strap. They are both ideal for carrying. If I was buying new I would seriously consider the new Callaway Hyper Lite Zero at 2.5# with a 4-way top.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa