2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

I'll also admit I just don't like that layout. First time playing there, but it's a pretty forgettable course. Greens rolled really nice, but my putter was cold.

Also, HEB suuuucks. That was a one & done course for me. So forgettable.

Aww man, that's a bummer to read. HEB is one of my favorite courses in the area. It helps that it's so close to work, and I can play 18 holes after work during the summer time months, when the sun is up until 8:00-8:30pm.

I'm a huge fan of elevation change tee to green. #2, #7, #8, #10, #11, #14, and #17 all have greens that end well below the tee boxes. Makes for some massive drives and fun approaches. It's a good combination of "smash the hell out of a driver" and "lay up with an iron" off the Par 4s. Plus, my all time average for the Par 5 #14 is like 3.8 or something. I've only ever had eagles or birdies on that hole.

To each, their own. I've never been a fan of courses with loads of elevation swings. I don't mind a big downhill drive (because who doesn't like knowing they hit a tee shot 345) but there's just too much of it to me. I'm normally okay with a conditions to layout trade-off, but HEB didn't move the needle. My takeaway: Their slogan should be "Heritage Eagle Bend: A Place You Can Play Golf."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also admit I just don't like that layout. First time playing there, but it's a pretty forgettable course. Greens rolled really nice, but my putter was cold.

Aww man, that's a bummer to read. HEB is one of my favorite courses in the area. It helps that it's so close to work, and I can play 18 holes after work during the summer time months, when the sun is up until 8:00-8:30pm.

I'm a huge fan of elevation change tee to green. #2, #7, #8, #10, #11, #14, and #17 all have greens that end well below the tee boxes. Makes for some massive drives and fun approaches. It's a good combination of "smash the hell out of a driver" and "lay up with an iron" off the Par 4s. Plus, my all time average for the Par 5 #14 is like 3.8 or something. I've only ever had eagles or birdies on that hole.

I enjoy elevation changes as much as the next guy, but it just wasn’t a very interesting course to me.... I will say that 9 is a good hole, but the rest were just meh for me.

I can usually remember every hole on a course (and usually how I played it), but I literally had to rewatch their fly-bys to recall anything about the course other than how much I disliked #2...haha Im not a fan of blind shots, & it seems like I remember having several there.

That, and quite a couple holes go severely uphill, which is probably my least favorite type hole in all of golf. 18 at Mariana Butte in Loveland might be the worst finisher I’ve ever played because of that.

I enjoy elevation changes as much as the next guy, but it just wasn’t a very interesting course to me.... I will say that 9 is a good hole, but the rest were just meh for me.

I can usually remember every hole on a course (and usually how I played it), but I literally had to rewatch their fly-bys to recall anything about the course other than how much I disliked #2...haha Im not a fan of blind shots, & it seems like I remember having several there.

That, and quite a couple holes go severely uphill, which is probably my least favorite type hole in all of golf. 18 at Mariana Butte in Loveland might be the worst finisher I’ve ever played because of that.

Yeah, major uphills are no dice for me. Not because I can't play them well, but they just feel...wrong. Give me a big downhill par 3 all day long though. Those are super fun.

rYghBMB.jpg

This par 3 at Crystal Springs in NJ is one of my favorites I've ever played. Tee off from the top of a quarry down about 80 feet or so.

Played Red Hawk Ridge today, first time I've played it in a few years. Throw my vote into the "I like it" camp. Especially love the lack of trees out there, which make playing this time of year very enjoyable. It was in great shape. Very up and down round but, speaking of elevation change and downhill drives....on #1, hit it 354 off the tee and had a 100 yard second shot into the par 5. #2 drove the green with a 355 yard drive. One of the best shots I think I've ever hit. Finally on 18, hit it 342 off the tee and had just over 100 for my second on a par 5. That was fun. I need to play out there more often.

Yeah, major uphills are no dice for me. Not because I can't play them well, but they just feel...wrong. Give me a big downhill par 3 all day long though. Those are super fun.

rYghBMB.jpg

This par 3 at Crystal Springs in NJ is one of my favorites I've ever played. Tee off from the top of a quarry down about 80 feet or so.

Such a cool hole. Every time I come across a picture of it, I see myself blocking it onto the right side of that green leading to my first ever lay-up putt(s).

Played Red Hawk Ridge today, first time I've played it in a few years. Throw my vote into the "I like it" camp. Especially love the lack of trees out there, which make playing this time of year very enjoyable. It was in great shape. Very up and down round but, speaking of elevation change and downhill drives....on #1, hit it 354 off the tee and had a 100 yard second shot into the par 5. #2 drove the green with a 355 yard drive. One of the best shots I think I've ever hit. Finally on 18, hit it 342 off the tee and had just over 100 for my second on a par 5. That was fun. I need to play out there more often.

Agreed. Left with pretty much the same feeling when I played it this summer....aside from missing a 6 foot eagle on 18, it was a good time haha. Engh courses are usually pretty fun IMO. Fossil Trace didn’t do much for me, but Redlands Mesa & Lakota Canyon are both fun too...RM is one of my favorite courses in the state.

My takeaway: Their slogan should be "Heritage Eagle Bend: A Place You Can Play Golf."

Given the lack of public golf courses on the southeast side, I'll take it.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

https://playtheridge.com/golf/ecom_v2/ecom.php?cat=0&item_id=1013950

4 person scramble at The Ridge (my favorite course) on November 11th. Cheaper than the one that was at Red Hawk. $220 per team/$55 a person.

Forecast shows the high being 50º that day (if you place any stock into forecasts that far out). 10:00am start time too.

Aww man, that's a bummer to read. HEB is one of my favorite courses in the area. It helps that it's so close to work, and I can play 18 holes after work during the summer time months, when the sun is up until 8:00-8:30pm. I'm a huge fan of elevation change tee to green. #2, #7, #8, #10, #11, #14, and #17 all have greens that end well below the tee boxes. Makes for some massive drives and fun approaches. It's a good combination of "smash the hell out of a driver" and "lay up with an iron" off the Par 4s. Plus, my all time average for the Par 5 #14 is like 3.8 or something. I've only ever had eagles or birdies on that hole.
I enjoy elevation changes as much as the next guy, but it just wasn’t a very interesting course to me.... I will say that 9 is a good hole, but the rest were just meh for me. I can usually remember every hole on a course (and usually how I played it), but I literally had to rewatch their fly-bys to recall anything about the course other than how much I disliked #2...haha Im not a fan of blind shots, & it seems like I remember having several there. That, and quite a couple holes go severely uphill, which is probably my least favorite type hole in all of golf. 18 at Mariana Butte in Loveland might be the worst finisher I’ve ever played because of that.

Ha. yeah I remember the first time I played #18 at Mariana Butte, I had to ask my buddy where the flag was as we were standing on the tee because I had no idea how the hole worked and I just thought the "upper part" was something for the restaurant...

that and the green breaks towards the cliff :)...thought my first putt was going to roll off the green and back down to the fairway. That would have been quite embarassing.

Totally is. Only reason I'll play it again is if the guys I played with yesterday wanted to. It's nice, but not special in any way. I actually can't remember a hole that made me think "This is fun."

I love golf and still had a blast, despite frustration and a forgettable course, but that's more on my love for the game and less on anything HEB did. Like I said, conditions were good, but man, that place is a snoozer. And I just can't get down with all the big elevation changes. I prefer more subtle stuff.

Braving the cooler weather (which I'd rather play in anyway) on Saturday for one final round at Murphy Creek before I jet off to Europe. I'll post plenty before I go, but will most certainly send dispatches from the courses I play in the U.K.

Haha, that is funny. I have sworn off Murphy Creek for life, but I personally enjoy HEB. I love elevation change.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

https://playtheridge...item_id=1013950

4 person scramble at The Ridge (my favorite course) on November 11th. Cheaper than the one that was at Red Hawk. $220 per team/$55 a person.

Forecast shows the high being 50º that day (if you place any stock into forecasts that far out). 10:00am start time too.

I could be in for this. Except my favorite team is the Chiefs...that gonna be a problem?

I could be in for this. Except my favorite team is the Chiefs...that gonna be a problem?

I don't really like football at all, so I'm very malleable to whatever the team would want to do!

Also, if anyone is down to play this weekend, looks like The Ridge is only $39 on Sunday (Millennial Discount). 10:00am and 11:20am should be good enough to finish 18 holes with the new 5pm sunset.

That's a crazy good deal. $79 normal green fees. So $40 off if you're born between 1980 and 1996.

Could get a little practice round in for the scramble if we end up getting a group together. One big downside: the course is cart-path for the off season.

A friend of a friend played RaCPN last weekend, and he said they just punched their greens. Just an FYI.

Also, if anyone is down to play this weekend, looks like The Ridge is only $39 on Sunday (Millennial Discount). 10:00am and 11:20am should be good enough to finish 18 holes with the new 5pm sunset.

That's a crazy good deal. $79 normal green fees. So $40 off if you're born between 1980 and 1996.

Could get a little practice round in for the scramble if we end up getting a group together. One big downside: the course is cart-path for the off season.

ugh, I'm too old!

Totally is. Only reason I'll play it again is if the guys I played with yesterday wanted to. It's nice, but not special in any way. I actually can't remember a hole that made me think "This is fun."

I love golf and still had a blast, despite frustration and a forgettable course, but that's more on my love for the game and less on anything HEB did. Like I said, conditions were good, but man, that place is a snoozer. And I just can't get down with all the big elevation changes. I prefer more subtle stuff.

Braving the cooler weather (which I'd rather play in anyway) on Saturday for one final round at Murphy Creek before I jet off to Europe. I'll post plenty before I go, but will most certainly send dispatches from the courses I play in the U.K.

Haha, that is funny. I have sworn off Murphy Creek for life, but I personally enjoy HEB. I love elevation change.

To each, their own! But I am curious: What about MC doesn't work for you? That front 9 is one of my favorite stretches of holes I've ever played. I just have really good memory associations with the course, too. And I shot 75 there for my lowest round ever, so that helps the affection a bit.

If you guys don’t mind a high handicap, I would love to play. I don’t have any Chief’s gear, but I do have some Bears gear.

To each, their own! But I am curious: What about MC doesn't work for you? That front 9 is one of my favorite stretches of holes I've ever played. I just have really good memory associations with the course, too. And I shot 75 there for my lowest round ever, so that helps the affection a bit.

Probably just that I never play well there, and it’s likely from playing the tips...but even the Blue tees are close to 7000 I think. Other than that it’s just a preference thing. I never seem to love courses that seem like they were just dropped in the middle of a field. Buffalo Run also not a favorite of mine. Also I believe both of those courses have a par 3 that I’ve hit driver on...after about 225 yards even from the tips its not really a par 3 anymore unless you have tour length IMO.

All of these factors also are why you won’t see me rushing up to Berthoud to play TPC Colorado :)

Probably just that I never play well there, and it’s likely from playing the tips...but even the Blue tees are close to 7000 I think. Other than that it’s just a preference thing. I never seem to love courses that seem like they were just dropped in the middle of a field. Buffalo Run also not a favorite of mine. Also I believe both of those courses have a par 3 that I’ve hit driver on...after about 225 yards even from the tips its not really a par 3 anymore unless you have tour length IMO.

All of these factors also are why you won’t see me rushing up to Berthoud to play TPC Colorado :)

Totally fair.

17 can get really nasty if the wind is in your face. I've hit a 3W and not touched the green before. I've also hit a 6 and gotten it to 5 feet. Go figure.

17 can get really nasty if the wind is in your face. I've hit a 3W and not touched the green before. I've also hit a 6 and gotten it to 5 feet. Go figure.

I probably just need to play Murphy Creek from the whites and I’d probably like it. I used to not care for Riverdale Dunes much either but it has grown on me the past couple of seasons

If you’ll take old fart I think I might be able to make it work. I think we have grandson’s first birthday party on Saturday in Greeley. So I’ll be in the area.

Man, The Ridge's Oktoberfest scramble this past weekend looked awesome. $62.50/person for golf, beer, and food. Something to keep in mind next year!

I probably just need to play Murphy Creek from the whites and I’d probably like it. I used to not care for Riverdale Dunes much either but it has grown on me the past couple of seasons

Murphy is longer then most courses so it throws peeps off. Whites normally play 6500... blues 6900/7000 and tips run around 7450-7550. A lot of the local courses the blues play around 6500 and max around 6900-7000 so it has that "Extra" length people don't realized until they start playing it.

Hate I can't get out with you guys this weekend; flying to Chicago for work until midweek. Enjoy the good weather!

In very good news, I booked three of my four rounds while over in the UK. Playing all three nines (and one of the nines again) at Princes Golf Club in Kent. Then booked at North Berwick Golf Club outside Edinburgh. Carnoustie, Muirfield, etc were a little too pricey for me, so I settled on a couple of Open Qualifying courses instead. Pretty stoked! Still debating the Old Course or New Course, but they're off mats only (as mentioned a while back) so I'm iffy. Any suggestions for affordable courses from folks who may have played in the UK in early winter? I'm considering this as a middle round that's pretty inexpensive. I'm also considering the Belfry, but it's more about location and I'm not 100% sure I'll have the time when we're in that area.

Brian, if you haven't yet try to get and early time at North Berwick. They have a great replay price if you can swing it with the wife.

Uh Oh....there's yet another thread going in the rules and etiquette section about music on the course. Did not realize it was also part of the rule changes for 2019, interesting. I for one have ignored that rule for years because I don't believe for a second anyone is listening to music on the course to improve tempo. They are just enjoying themselves.

I think both sides of the argument have valid points. You should only play it at a volume that only you can hear, and everyone in your group needs to be okay with it. (I actually know a person who won't even play golf without it, but they aren't playing any serious golf ever)

I know Jacob is a big opponent of it, I am curious if you have seen people cross the line with it in the Denver area and what types of courses it happened at?

Also, would you have more of an issue with people yelling (say they chipped from the green behind you or something) in your backswing or just having music on at a reasonable volume even if you can faintly hear it.

I'm not trying to start a debate, that has been done to death in other areas of these forums. Just generally curious if those in Colorado have experienced it being a major problem. I personally haven't, but it would have to be at rock concert level volume for me to even notice. I like having it as just some white noise, same as I would with wind, birds, water running, cars on a highway, etc. as long as it is something constant.

It's a bit ironic because back in high school I could hear a twig break from 3 holes away. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still very much a mental midget on the course, but less so with sound (unless its the PA announcement from the starter at the top of my backswing :) )

Sorry to be late to the party but this reminds me of one of my favorite quotes during men's league a couple years ago. A guy in my group turned on some music (riding with me) and when we get to the green the guy in the other group goes "Are you going to play that the WHOLE time?"

Probably a have to be there moment but w/e I loved it.

Man, The Ridge's Oktoberfest scramble this past weekend looked awesome. $62.50/person for golf, beer, and food. Something to keep in mind next year!

I played it in 2017 and we had a blast. Although it did get pushed back a week due to snow and then had an hour frost delay on the 2nd attempt. But still a lot of fun

Hate I can't get out with you guys this weekend; flying to Chicago for work until midweek. Enjoy the good weather!

In very good news, I booked three of my four rounds while over in the UK. Playing all three nines (and one of the nines again) at Princes Golf Club in Kent. Then booked at North Berwick Golf Club outside Edinburgh. Carnoustie, Muirfield, etc were a little too pricey for me, so I settled on a couple of Open Qualifying courses instead. Pretty stoked! Still debating the Old Course or New Course, but they're off mats only (as mentioned a while back) so I'm iffy. Any suggestions for affordable courses from folks who may have played in the UK in early winter? I'm considering this as a middle round that's pretty inexpensive. I'm also considering the Belfry, but it's more about location and I'm not 100% sure I'll have the time when we're in that area.

Brian, if you haven't yet try to get and early time at North Berwick. They have a great replay price if you can swing it with the wife.

Uh Oh....there's yet another thread going in the rules and etiquette section about music on the course. Did not realize it was also part of the rule changes for 2019, interesting. I for one have ignored that rule for years because I don't believe for a second anyone is listening to music on the course to improve tempo. They are just enjoying themselves.

I think both sides of the argument have valid points. You should only play it at a volume that only you can hear, and everyone in your group needs to be okay with it. (I actually know a person who won't even play golf without it, but they aren't playing any serious golf ever)

I know Jacob is a big opponent of it, I am curious if you have seen people cross the line with it in the Denver area and what types of courses it happened at?

Also, would you have more of an issue with people yelling (say they chipped from the green behind you or something) in your backswing or just having music on at a reasonable volume even if you can faintly hear it.

I'm not trying to start a debate, that has been done to death in other areas of these forums. Just generally curious if those in Colorado have experienced it being a major problem. I personally haven't, but it would have to be at rock concert level volume for me to even notice. I like having it as just some white noise, same as I would with wind, birds, water running, cars on a highway, etc. as long as it is something constant.

It's a bit ironic because back in high school I could hear a twig break from 3 holes away. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still very much a mental midget on the course, but less so with sound (unless its the PA announcement from the starter at the top of my backswing :) )

Sorry to be late to the party but this reminds me of one of my favorite quotes during men's league a couple years ago. A guy in my group turned on some music (riding with me) and when we get to the green the guy in the other group goes "Are you going to play that the WHOLE time?"

Probably a have to be there moment but w/e I loved it.

It doesn't look like they offer replays at this time of year, unfortunately. I tee off at 10:30 and will probably only finish two hours before sunset. But if I can swing another 9, I will. My wife will be kicking around Edinburgh all day with a friend who lives there, so I'm wide open.

I booked at Silloth on Solway today. It's apparently regarded as one of the best values in the U.K. Very excited to play it. Vacation should be a great mix of family time and hiking, peppered in with four rounds of golf. Late November can't come soon enough.

How's Asia!?

If you’ll take old fart I think I might be able to make it work. I think we have grandson’s first birthday party on Saturday in Greeley. So I’ll be in the area.

I got the OK for this.

Looks like we have 2 committed (dead solid and me) and 2 possible maybes (Jacob and Hardrain). If you guys message me that you're committed, I'll sign us up today and front the entry fee until the 11th. Let me know.

Looks like we have 2 committed (dead solid and me) and 2 possible maybes (Jacob and Hardrain). If you guys message me that you're committed, I'll sign us up today and front the entry fee until the 11th. Let me know.

I’m in. I’ll PM also.