Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Hate I can't get out with you guys this weekend; flying to Chicago for work until midweek. Enjoy the good weather!

In very good news, I booked three of my four rounds while over in the UK. Playing all three nines (and one of the nines again) at Princes Golf Club in Kent. Then booked at North Berwick Golf Club outside Edinburgh. Carnoustie, Muirfield, etc were a little too pricey for me, so I settled on a couple of Open Qualifying courses instead. Pretty stoked! Still debating the Old Course or New Course, but they're off mats only (as mentioned a while back) so I'm iffy. Any suggestions for affordable courses from folks who may have played in the UK in early winter? I'm considering this as a middle round that's pretty inexpensive. I'm also considering the Belfry, but it's more about location and I'm not 100% sure I'll have the time when we're in that area.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh Oh....there's yet another thread going in the rules and etiquette section about music on the course. Did not realize it was also part of the rule changes for 2019, interesting. I for one have ignored that rule for years because I don't believe for a second anyone is listening to music on the course to improve tempo. They are just enjoying themselves.

I think both sides of the argument have valid points. You should only play it at a volume that only you can hear, and everyone in your group needs to be okay with it. (I actually know a person who won't even play golf without it, but they aren't playing any serious golf ever)

I know Jacob is a big opponent of it, I am curious if you have seen people cross the line with it in the Denver area and what types of courses it happened at?

Also, would you have more of an issue with people yelling (say they chipped from the green behind you or something) in your backswing or just having music on at a reasonable volume even if you can faintly hear it.

I'm not trying to start a debate, that has been done to death in other areas of these forums. Just generally curious if those in Colorado have experienced it being a major problem. I personally haven't, but it would have to be at rock concert level volume for me to even notice. I like having it as just some white noise, same as I would with wind, birds, water running, cars on a highway, etc. as long as it is something constant.

It's a bit ironic because back in high school I could hear a twig break from 3 holes away. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still very much a mental midget on the course, but less so with sound (unless its the PA announcement from the starter at the top of my backswing :) )

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Oh man, the music argument.

I find the whole “silence” while playing to be one of the things where people take this silly game way too seriously. Just more of the PGA-ifying of what should be casual and fun. We’ve all seen Tiger stop midbackswing because he heard someone chewing gum, and now people think everything has to be silent or we just can’t play.

If we’re playing a USGA qualifier, that might be a fine expectation. Sunday with a group of buddies, with a $5 skin on the line... cmon man. Tennis pros expect quiet while playing Wimbledon. But the average guy playing at a city park? Not happening, there’s a playground with kids on a jungle gym next door. Somehow they still manage to serve.

I find the same idea to be true about music, worrying about lines on greens, talking to playing partners, celebrating good shots, etc. chill out, have fun, and just don’t be an a**hole. That simple rule goes a long way, and makes you a fun playing partner.

Uh Oh....there's yet another thread going in the rules and etiquette section about music on the course. Did not realize it was also part of the rule changes for 2019, interesting. I for one have ignored that rule for years because I don't believe for a second anyone is listening to music on the course to improve tempo. They are just enjoying themselves.

I think both sides of the argument have valid points. You should only play it at a volume that only you can hear, and everyone in your group needs to be okay with it. (I actually know a person who won't even play golf without it, but they aren't playing any serious golf ever)

I know Jacob is a big opponent of it, I am curious if you have seen people cross the line with it in the Denver area and what types of courses it happened at?

Also, would you have more of an issue with people yelling (say they chipped from the green behind you or something) in your backswing or just having music on at a reasonable volume even if you can faintly hear it.

I'm not trying to start a debate, that has been done to death in other areas of these forums. Just generally curious if those in Colorado have experienced it being a major problem. I personally haven't, but it would have to be at rock concert level volume for me to even notice. I like having it as just some white noise, same as I would with wind, birds, water running, cars on a highway, etc. as long as it is something constant.

It's a bit ironic because back in high school I could hear a twig break from 3 holes away. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still very much a mental midget on the course, but less so with sound (unless its the PA announcement from the starter at the top of my backswing :) )

I've encountered 2 times where I've "noticed" music playing on the course (But I'm the guy who didn't even hear someone sneeze during my swing when they were right behind me).

Both times it was a cart on the path and the players were on the green (not close to the cart) and I could hear the music on a nearby teebox. That kinda bothered me since the music was a little too loud and they obviously weren't listening to it, so to me that was just inconsiderate people (but maybe I'm out in the weeds).

I've encountered 2 times where I've "noticed" music playing on the course (But I'm the guy who didn't even hear someone sneeze during my swing when they were right behind me).

Both times it was a cart on the path and the players were on the green (not close to the cart) and I could hear the music on a nearby teebox. That kinda bothered me since the music was a little too loud and they obviously weren't listening to it, so to me that was just inconsiderate people (but maybe I'm out in the weeds).

Those debates get hostile pretty quickly. Stay out!

I've heard plenty of music on-course here, but people are generally courteous and ask if it's okay before turning any on. I appreciate that, and honestly, if I've got a threesome I've joined with and all three are asking if it's okay...their wishes outweigh mine as a single.

I'm more inclined to be distracted by my own shadow than I am any noise on the course. If you play at Murphy Creek enough you get used to the sound of fighter jets overhead. I've never understood how sound can mess with someone, but I'm also not hyper-analytical with my game, so YMMV. My own shadow though...totally different story when I'm taking a full swing.

I like music on the course and would prefer to have it. Keeps me from being super sensitive to little noises and keeps the stress low from having to worry about disrupting other players. I don't like music with tons of swearing or super aggressive beats but other than that, I'm all for it. I definitely find it helps me relax to have something playing. Generally I don't really care what it is.

Generalizing: People who don't like music on course that I've interacted with are the people who are very serious, trying incredibly hard, and typically a wide handicap range. All of my +handicap friends who play all the serious stuff almost always have music on.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

The rest of GolfWRX makes me lose brain cells, so I avoid it as much as possible. I'm happy to just stay within the safe confines of Colorado WRX. :)

I don't mind music at all--although my requests for Yanni or John Tesh do go unfulfilled. Before the internet, we used to bring a boombox out on Sundays to listen to whatever NFL game was on the radio. There is one guy in my golf league who does play it a smidge loud, but it's fine. I would probably be more okay if it wasn't 80's hair bands, although it does give me the opportunity to tell one of my favorite jokes: "What has 9 arms and sucks?"

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Biggest reason I'm anti-speakers on the course, is because I'm a big music snob and chances are I'll hate 99% of the music people want to play.

I also think my Apple AirPods are the #1 greatest piece of technology I've ever owned. I can listen to my own music, personally/privately, and nobody else will hear anything. And there are no wires to mess with any part of my swing.

I do get slightly annoyed when an entire group screams super loud over a 10' birdie putt that just dropped, especially on random weekends when there's no type of event going on. This isn't The Tour. Congrats on whatever you just did, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't warrant turning the course into #16 at TPC Scottsdale.

But I couldn't care less if someone steps on my line, or is talking to a buddy during my swing. Noise doesn't bother me. Movement doesn't bother me.

Biggest reason I'm anti-speakers on the course, is because I'm a big music snob and chances are I'll hate 99% of the music people want to play.

I also think my Apple AirPods are the #1 greatest piece of technology I've ever owned. I can listen to my own music, personally/privately, and nobody else will hear anything. And there are no wires to mess with any part of my swing.

I do get slightly annoyed when an entire group screams super loud over a 10' birdie putt that just dropped, especially on random weekends when there's no type of event going on. This isn't The Tour. Congrats on whatever you just did, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't warrant turning the course into #16 at TPC Scottsdale.

But I couldn't care less if someone steps on my line, or is talking to a buddy during my swing. Noise doesn't bother me. Movement doesn't bother me.

^^this...my music tastes don’t align with many people (except brianhorne...haha), so I’m always a little dismayed when I see a speaker in the cart of the group I’m joining. I’ll never say no if people want to play music (especially since I’m usually a single joining a group), but being subjected to 4.5 hours of pop/country makes me enjoy the silent rounds that much more.

Props to GM for getting a "cmon man" into this discussion =)

As to music I don't have an issue with it either, as long as it is keep low enough that it only that person or cart hears it. I have played with some that will turn the volume up when they walk from the cart so they can still hear it 10-15 yards away which I don't agree with personally.

I guess common sense and some respect for others is key. Everyone paid to play but it does not mean you should ignore others playing with you. Trying to be respectful or courteous to others....which appears to be lost in the debate going on in the other thread LOL

What's your ideal playlist? Curious, because I feel like ours would line up pretty alright.

First round with the Bettinardi was a mixed bag. Loved the feel of it. Not a single mishit all round which is a very good sign. Generally have 3-4 with the Scotty. Only made one birdie but I think I just didn’t putt with conviction cause I was still feeling it out and there were some brutal pin placements at Fossil Trace.

Playing 9 this morning at the Links, that might be a better test for it since I know those greens so well.

The rest of GolfWRX makes me lose brain cells, so I avoid it as much as possible. I'm happy to just stay within the safe confines of Colorado WRX. :)

I don't mind music at all--although my requests for Yanni or John Tesh do go unfulfilled. Before the internet, we used to bring a boombox out on Sundays to listen to whatever NFL game was on the radio. There is one guy in my golf league who does play it a smidge loud, but it's fine. I would probably be more okay if it wasn't 80's hair bands, although it does give me the opportunity to tell one of my favorite jokes: "What has 9 arms and sucks?"

Nice Def Leppard joke, but them is fightin words! I love me some 80’s trash!

We had music on yesterday and because it was my buddy’s birthday he was in control and decided that Wilson Phillips Pandora was the way to go...SMH

But I can’t really talk, I’ve been obsessed with the A Star is Born soundtrack for the past week and a half now. I’m not proud of this but I can’t help myself

Props to GM for getting a "cmon man" into this discussion =)

As to music I don't have an issue with it either, as long as it is keep low enough that it only that person or cart hears it. I have played with some that will turn the volume up when they walk from the cart so they can still hear it 10-15 yards away which I don't agree with personally.

I guess common sense and some respect for others is key. Everyone paid to play but it does not mean you should ignore others playing with you. Trying to be respectful or courteous to others....which appears to be lost in the debate going on in the other thread LOL

Yes, and course layout matters. Are you playing Meadow Hills? Chances are everyone around you can hear your music. Bear Dance? Only the wildlife can likely hear it.

I picked up the AfterShokz Trekz Air bone conduction headset a couple months back to use while working so that I can still hear people that are talking to me and for other safety related reasons (when exercising, etc.). I have found that these are fantastic for golf. You get to hear your music, hear the crack of the ball and hear the occasional shout of "fore" just in case! ;)

What's your ideal playlist? Curious, because I feel like ours would line up pretty alright.

For golf specifically, more chill stuff. 90's underground indie rock/slowcore (Modest Mouse, Duster, My Bloody Valentine, Sharks Keep Moving, Ozma, The Olivia Tremor Control) and maybe some early 2000's Midwestern emo revival (American Football, Grown Ups, Coping, Algernon Cadwallader, Nai Harvest).

For golf specifically, more chill stuff. 90's underground indie rock/slowcore (Modest Mouse, Duster, My Bloody Valentine, Sharks Keep Moving, Ozma, The Olivia Tremor Control) and maybe some early 2000's Midwestern emo revival (American Football, Grown Ups, Coping, Algernon Cadwallader, Nai Harvest).

I do not know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I do not know a single band on your list ...

drn92

I would probably be more okay if it wasn't 80's hair bands, although it does give me the opportunity to tell one of my favorite jokes: "What has 9 arms and sucks?"

Nice Def Leppard joke, but them is fightin words! I love me some 80’s trash!

Don't get me wrong: Pyromania and Hysteria are amazing, iconic 80's albums. I content that Def Leppard may be second to Duran Duran in the "biggest band that was only relevant between 1980-1989" category.

I do not know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that I do not know a single band on your list ...

drn92

Haha, which is the main reason I'm not a fan of speakers! Nobody wants to hear my weird, obscure stuff. And I swear to God if I have to hear The Eagles one more time...

FaithfulTallAfricanporcupine-max-1mb.gif

I love the fact the Rolling Stones gave the Cohen brothers "Dead Flowers" royalty-free (instead of $150k) just because of that line.

Looks like there are already 96 players (24 groups) signed up for that Red Hawk Ridge scramble, only leaving 24 more spots (6 teams) open.

I'd take lead on it, but I don't have the money to pay everything up front right now. But if someone wants to sign up and put me on your team, I could PayPal my portion of it!

I can’t believe how amazing the weather was today. On the negative side I bogeyed the last hole to shoot one over at Willis Case this afternoon. So close!

All 27 at Omni tomorrow then back to normal boring life.

Yep, the weather on Sunday was just amazing for the back end of October. I really enjoyed my round at Highlands Ranch GC with TheKrushh and friends. I had forgotten how enjoyable the HRGC course actually is. I need to get on that track more often.

If there are any more fantastic weather days left then I'm definitely going to try and get out a few more times. Other than trying to find balls in the fallen leaves, you can't beat this time of year when the weather is cooperating.

Looks like there are already 96 players (24 groups) signed up for that Red Hawk Ridge scramble, only leaving 24 more spots (6 teams) open.

I'd take lead on it, but I don't have the money to pay everything up front right now. But if someone wants to sign up and put me on your team, I could PayPal my portion of it!

I want to call the course first.

I've turned into a fair weather golfer. I know they said it will be cancelled if the weather is bad, but what is their definition? I'm kind of okay with sunny and mid-40s, but I won't be okay with 50's and rain. If I get a satisfactory answer, I will report back and I can float the $280 for a foursome. Anyone else potentially interested?

I did a scramble at RHR a few years ago with a friend's company around this time, it got delayed an hour due to frost.

My former employer also hosted a scramble at Inverness in early October. One year, there was actually a thunderstorm at 8am, and the start got delayed due to a massive amount of graupel on the greens. That was fun.

I've turned into a fair weather golfer. I know they said it will be cancelled if the weather is bad, but what is their definition? I'm kind of okay with sunny and mid-40s, but I won't be okay with 50's and rain. If I get a satisfactory answer, I will report back and I can float the $280 for a foursome. Anyone else potentially interested?

I did a scramble at RHR a few years ago with a friend's company around this time, it got delayed an hour due to frost.

My former employer also hosted a scramble at Inverness in early October. One year, there was actually a thunderstorm at 8am, and the start got delayed due to a massive amount of graupel on the greens. That was fun.

I should be able to play if this gets going.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Agreed on all fronts. I’ll gladly play as long as it’s not miserable out.

drn92

Haha, which is the main reason I'm not a fan of speakers! Nobody wants to hear my weird, obscure stuff. And I swear to God if I have to hear The Eagles one more time...

FaithfulTallAfricanporcupine-max-1mb.gif

My kids have kept me pretty hip, but there is a decade or so I missed and a bunch of bands I’ve never heard of.

drn92

Don't get me wrong: Pyromania and Hysteria are amazing, iconic 80's albums. I content that Def Leppard may be second to Duran Duran in the "biggest band that was only relevant between 1980-1989" category.

Much like Chevy Chase and Eddie Murphy! Look I know that Eddie did Nutty Professor, Shrek, etc but those are kids movies and a far departure from his 80's peak work. Chevy has Community but he was like 4th or 5th fiddle in that cast.

But those two put out some iconic movies in the 80's:

Caddyshack

Fletch

Christmas Vacation

48 Hours

Trading Places

Beverly Hills Cop I & II