Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Got out and played The Ridge today.

The Good: Fairways are in great condition. Even though it never hit 50º, it still felt very nice out there. At one point I had shed all my layers and was just wearing a short sleeve polo. Consistent green speeds across all 18 holes. Greens are soft and were holding shots nicely.

The Bad: Greens are still very bumpy and taking a while to recover from being punched. Majority of the tee boxes are closed, so you're forced to play a combo of the gold/silver tees (somewhere between 6,000 and 6,500 yards). Bunkers have always been 75% rocks out there, but it's even less sand now. Hit the hard bottom a few times, nothing to splash out of. Had 2 carts die on me today, and had to call in to have someone bring me a new one.

I ended up getting 3 birdies on my own today, so I'm hoping to come in between -6 and -10 for a 4-person scramble. Don't think many long putts will be made, but I'd love to have a birdie putt on every hole.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Good: Fairways are in great condition. Even though it never hit 50º, it still felt very nice out there. At one point I had shed all my layers and was just wearing a short sleeve polo. Consistent green speeds across all 18 holes. Greens are soft and were holding shots nicely.

The Bad: Greens are still very bumpy and taking a while to recover from being punched. Majority of the tee boxes are closed, so you're forced to play a combo of the gold/silver tees (somewhere between 6,000 and 6,500 yards). Bunkers have always been 75% rocks out there, but it's even less sand now. Hit the hard bottom a few times, nothing to splash out of. Had 2 carts die on me today, and had to call in to have someone bring me a new one.

I ended up getting 3 birdies on my own today, so I'm hoping to come in between -6 and -10 for a 4-person scramble. Don't think many long putts will be made, but I'd love to have a birdie putt on every hole.

I didn't realize you'd gotten down to a 3.9 handicap. Nice!

Hey guys, sorry to drop the ball on this. I have been traveling for work the past few days and haven't had a chance to pay attention to much else. Do i understand correctly that there are 2 teams and I am the tentative 4th on the first team? I am happy to cede my spot if anyone else wanted it during my absence...If not, let me know and I will play.

Hardrain, we did not fill the spot and we’d love to have you. Send me a message with your full name and a valid email address (the address where you want them to send the marketing messages – I have one just for that purpose).

BTW, we heard that you’ll probably shoot -9 on your own and the rest of us just need to sink a putt or two to help… Sweet! Also, KC garb is out, and Chicago garb is in. :lol:

I didn't realize you'd gotten down to a 3.9 handicap. Nice!

It was short lived. I've been bouncing around lately. Currently a 4.0, but as of the next (and final) revision, I'll end the season at a 4.2. Same wheelhouse though.

Jacob, the good news is 6,000 to 6,500 means I’ll be able to help off the tee (old geezer here). The traps should not be an issue – I gotta believe one of us can hit the green. Last weekend I hit 11 fairways and 13 GIR. I don’t putt worth a chit, but if I can get a read (weight mostly), we’ll be alright.

I’m not thinking we will win this thing, but I am looking for a good time.

Jacob, the good news is 6,000 to 6,500 means I’ll be able to help off the tee (old geezer here). The traps should not be an issue – I gotta believe one of us can hit the green. Last weekend I hit 11 fairways and 13 GIR. I don’t putt worth a chit, but if I can get a read (weight mostly), we’ll be alright.

I’m not thinking we will win this thing, but I am looking for a good time.

Hey, relatively “geezerish” here too. I make up for my lack of distance by hitting it very crooked! But at least I can’t putt.

I spoke with someone on Halloween who has inside knowledge of The Ridge. He said the drainage system is in disrepair. The course was told the only solution is to rip up the course and redo it from scratch, which would cost millions. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

If the forecast continues to be sucky, I'll call The Ridge on Thursday to get an idea of what kind of conditions will result in a cancellation.

Well, this photo was from Saturday. Apparently they had a super sudden snow storm and had to call everyone back in and give out rain checks.

81kn9fdoc7w11.jpg

But less than 24 hours later, I didn't see a single speck of snow anywhere on the course. I'd assume they'd cancel it if conditions look like that. Just cold temps though? I don't think that'd be enough reason to cancel.

Cart mittens? Does anyone make a golf cart sauna?!

Cart mittens? Does anyone make a golf cart sauna?!

standard.jpg

I have a 100 miles to drive afterwards, I guess I’d better abstain from the flask.....unless I can find some hot choclate.

I can deal with music on the course. I can deal with phones on the course. One thing I will never deal with is hot chocolate in my flask :nono: :D

Yup. Our only hope now is for whatever weather is supposed to hit us on Sunday to stall until Monday--which would probably mean a continuation of warmer weather from Saturday.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but the only way I'm not playing is if it gets officially cancelled by the course. As long as they deem it playable, I'll be there. Won't let no cold temperatures scare me away!

(But yeah, high of 21º with snow sounds really really crappy)

I may look like the Michelin Man on Sunday, but if the shotgun (horn, whatever) goes off, I’m hitting away.

We’ll need a photo of me standing next to Jacob in his shorts. :cheesy:

I don't know how everyone else feels, but the only way I'm not playing is if it gets officially cancelled by the course. As long as they deem it playable, I'll be there. Won't let no cold temperatures scare me away!

I may look like the Michelin Man on Sunday, but if the shotgun (horn, whatever) goes off, I’m hitting away.

We’ll need a photo of me standing next to Jacob in his shorts. :cheesy:

I’m with you guys. However I will break out pants. It’s about 20*here right now with a light covering of snow and I’m still in shorts, but I think one nut job in the group is enough! (just funnin Jacob, I get laughed at a lot at our course. Stocking cap, heavy jacket, winter gloves......and shorts)!

Troon sent out an e-mail about Sunday. Game on until further notice. I inquired how late of a notice we will get, and he replied, "We will wait as long as possible to make this call. So Sunday Morning."

In the event that it's cancelled, then a rain check for golf and lunch will be issued. If anything, we'll have a nice WRX outing next spring. :)

Troon sent out an e-mail about Sunday. Game on until further notice. I inquired how late of a notice we will get, and he replied, "We will wait as long as possible to make this call. So Sunday Morning."

In the event that it's cancelled, then a rain check for golf and lunch will be issued. If anything, we'll have a nice WRX outing next spring. :)

Agreed. That would be fun.

I'm just happy I'm playing Saturday in case this forecast holds true.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Agreed. That would be fun.

I'm just happy I'm playing Saturday in case this forecast holds true.

I'm not hoping it's cancelled, but I am? I'd like to join next spring if you get your rain checks...lol.