Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Thinking Ill dip my toes in OL, this thread is great. Posting my plan here as I think ill get more response than the dead-thread I posted it in earlier:

Thinking 4 and 5 OL cobra utilities, and then keeping my set as-is from 6-LW (9 iron-LW are already the same length as a standard 9 iron). Can I just keep my 6 iron, since I hit it fine? I have no issue playing it at 37.5, since that is a standard 6 for me, if not .5 over.

is it possible to order heads-only anywhere? I have a 3 iron shaft in my preferred shaft (the DG x100 SL thats in the 6-PW I would like to combo with the OL). If I can get heads only (even if I cannot), do I just order another one of those and put them in the Utility OL's (obviously I would tip and butt-trim to match the OL 37.5)?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I personally wouldn't use that 3i shaft in the OL. I think the flex and shaft weight will be different than if you got a 6i or 7i shaft to build with. If you're keeping your 6-PW as is, then I'd probably try matching the OL Utilities to the 6i specs as much as possible.

Give it a shot and let us know. Part of the appeal of this thread for me is that you get to learn from everyone else's experiments.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Update on my OL 3 Hybrid experiment:

I'm really struggling with the F8 OL 3 Hybrid. I thought the rails would be helpful, but so far I'm not seeing it. I'm tweaking it (changing club's grip) and giving it another shot tomorrow, but I may be heading back to my Fly-Z Franken-hybrid if tomorrow's round is like last weekend.

The ballflight is a bit low which I expected, but I think the rails are sitting the club's leading edge up too high. Every shot is hitting low on the face and I really have to go down and try to take a divot to get it into the middle of the face. I don't know if it's a ball position problem or if I'm changing my swing to try to lift the ball, but it sits pretty high at address and about one of every 5 swings so far is a worm burner off the bottom of the face.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I was probably one of the first adopters of single length clubs and the single plane swing around Golfwrx, I started playing home made single length clubs the week after Bryson won the DAP in September 2016 and then went single plane not too long after.

The reason I'm switching is because of distance loss and difficulty working the ball. Its not a speed issue I swing the 7 iron at about 94 MPH stock swing.

I hit it a little bit straighter in general with the single length single plane swing however I have a hard time hitting a draw and I tend to get blocks pretty regularly due to the very upright swing due to me being 6'4 that upright swing wants to lay that club face back at impact not release through.

I think I could probably do it just fine with the plane shifting normal swing but I don't think I'd want to as that gets rid of the whole idea for me of making it as simple as possible.

I gain 20 yards or so on my long irons with variable length clubs and thats with normal lofts my single lengths were seriously jacked strong.

The variable length clubs also force me to work the ball and I don't generally get the random blocks and because I'm not trying to stay on that single plane I'm setting up to hit it around the course as the course dictates. With the single length single plane swing I'm hitting straighter shots and then getting a little draw or little cut unexpectedly which gets me in trouble because I'm not planning for them.

From a wedge standpoint I seem to be slightly more accurate with the shorter ones but over time I think I could do well either way I just don't have the time to spend several hours on the range grooving wedge shots with a 7 iron length club.

After doing it this long I do think it is a VERY viable way to play golf and my 6 year old son plays golf and I would SERIOUSLY consider training him to play golf this way from day one. I think if I would have started this way 10 years ago I would never switch. I think if I didn't have two really small kids and could invest more time I would likely stick with it and grind it out.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Hey Mych...I had issues with both hybrids when I first started. After a couple of week break from them and putting the ball in the same place as an iron shot, things have improved. Not perfect, but improved.

I'm probably not giving the F8 an honest chance because I really liked the results of my Fly-Z hybrid experiment. I was expecting it to immediately be as good if not better, but the F8 has been challenging in comparison so I'm leaning toward calling the F8 a failed experiment and going back to what was working.

No real changes for me other than putting my 5h back in the bag and keeping the 6-G OL set.

If there's one thing I would like to experiment with next year it would be finding some more spin. I know the Steelfibers are notorious for having low spin but I may take the time to do a fitting in the Spring to try out other graphite options. But for me this closes out my second full season with the OL set. I had the F7s and upgraded to the F8s but I have no real interest in paying up for the F9s. Nothing against the F9s necessarily just that its not worth it IMO to be upgrading every year LOL.

The one thing I've experimented with is more of a Bryson like setup and something like a single plane swing. Its been successful the first couple outings so far so I will definitely be experimenting with it more in the offseason. I *love* how it feels with the driver.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Thinking Ill dip my toes in OL, this thread is great. Posting my plan here as I think ill get more response than the dead-thread I posted it in earlier:

Thinking 4 and 5 OL cobra utilities, and then keeping my set as-is from 6-LW (9 iron-LW are already the same length as a standard 9 iron). Can I just keep my 6 iron, since I hit it fine? I have no issue playing it at 37.5, since that is a standard 6 for me, if not .5 over.

is it possible to order heads-only anywhere? I have a 3 iron shaft in my preferred shaft (the DG x100 SL thats in the 6-PW I would like to combo with the OL). If I can get heads only (even if I cannot), do I just order another one of those and put them in the Utility OL's (obviously I would tip and butt-trim to match the OL 37.5)?

I personally wouldn't use that 3i shaft in the OL. I think the flex and shaft weight will be different than if you got a 6i or 7i shaft to build with. If you're keeping your 6-PW as is, then I'd probably try matching the OL Utilities to the 6i specs as much as possible.

Give it a shot and let us know. Part of the appeal of this thread for me is that you get to learn from everyone else's experiments.

Thanks For the reply. I didn't realize that the three iron couldn't be tipped to match a six or seven iron, guess that's a newbie mistake. I feel like I've done that for another club on one of my sets, now I'm in a have to remember which one and go fix it LOL.

i'm going to buy four and five cobra utility. I guess since they don't sell the head only(that I know of), I should just try to find a shaft profile I like in the stock offerings? Or should I try to find them as cheap as possible and then order two of my shaft in 6 iron?

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

No real changes for me other than putting my 5h back in the bag and keeping the 6-G OL set.

If there's one thing I would like to experiment with next year it would be finding some more spin. I know the Steelfibers are notorious for having low spin but I may take the time to do a fitting in the Spring to try out other graphite options. But for me this closes out my second full season with the OL set. I had the F7s and upgraded to the F8s but I have no real interest in paying up for the F9s. Nothing against the F9s necessarily just that its not worth it IMO to be upgrading every year LOL.

The one thing I've experimented with is more of a Bryson like setup and something like a single plane swing. Its been successful the first couple outings so far so I will definitely be experimenting with it more in the offseason. I *love* how it feels with the driver.

DC what ball are you playing?

Thanks For the reply. I didn't realize that the three iron couldn't be tipped to match a six or seven iron, guess that's a newbie mistake. I feel like I've done that for another club on one of my sets, now I'm in a have to remember which one and go fix it LOL.

i'm going to buy four and five cobra utility. I guess since they don't sell the head only(that I know of), I should just try to find a shaft profile I like in the stock offerings? Or should I try to find them as cheap as possible and then order two of my shaft in 6 iron?

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'd be concerned about the flex point and whether the trimming would change the shaft's stiffness too much with the OL heads, which are made to be much heavier than what you would have for a 3i. Also, it could effect the swing weighting. I play the Forged One's which have a .355 tip diameter with no tip trimming, so I had to get the proper shaft to be able to match. The OL hybrids and utilities are a .370 tip, so if the DG X100's are .370 parallel you may be able to butt/tip trim them to the right specs. I'd doublecheck over in the Clubmaking forum. the guys over there are way smarter about that than I am.

Since I already had the shaft to match my set, I just ordered the cheapest F8 OL 3H I could find. It happened to have a senior shaft in it, which didn't matter since I was going to reshaft it. In my mind the move to single length is about removing variables in the stance, setup, and swing. I figure that the club designers know more about single length than I ever will, so wherever possible I try to limit my experimentation. That's actually why I bought the F8... I had previously customized a Fly-Z to match my irons, but I figured the F8 head would guarantee that my setup was as close as possible to my irons. As I mentioned before, everyone gets to learn from the successes and mistakes of others, and for me I'm pretty close to disassembling the F8 hybrid and putting my Fly-Z head back on that shaft.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'd be concerned about the flex point and whether the trimming would change the shaft's stiffness too much with the OL heads, which are made to be much heavier than what you would have for a 3i. Also, it could effect the swing weighting. I play the Forged One's which have a .355 tip diameter with no tip trimming, so I had to get the proper shaft to be able to match. The OL hybrids and utilities are a .370 tip, so if the DG X100's are .370 parallel you may be able to butt/tip trim them to the right specs. I'd doublecheck over in the Clubmaking forum. the guys over there are way smarter about that than I am.

Since I already had the shaft to match my set, I just ordered the cheapest F8 OL 3H I could find. It happened to have a senior shaft in it, which didn't matter since I was going to reshaft it. In my mind the move to single length is about removing variables in the stance, setup, and swing. I figure that the club designers know more about single length than I ever will, so wherever possible I try to limit my experimentation. That's actually why I bought the F8... I had previously customized a Fly-Z to match my irons, but I figured the F8 head would guarantee that my setup was as close as possible to my irons. As I mentioned before, everyone gets to learn from the successes and mistakes of others, and for me I'm pretty close to disassembling the F8 hybrid and putting my Fly-Z head back on that shaft.

It looks like the tips are the same length (the tipped 3 iron shaft would "step" at the same spots as the regular 6 iron, and would be the same length. It should be fine, but i will check with clubbuilder section thanks for the advice.

I just ordered a cobra OL utility 4 and 5 iron on ebay. Gonna put the DG x100 SL in them at 37.5 ( i think thats my 6 iron length, gotta check). 6, 7, 8, and 9 will be variable. PW-LW will all be 9 iron length.

So in theory i should get easy-to-hit long irons, and standard everything else. Sounds good to me.

Edit: so the dg x100 sl i have are .355 taper tip. . . so much for that. guess im ordering a couple.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

DC what ball are you playing?

TP5 for most of the season. Been testing the Duo Professional but if the TP5 comes out in a good yellow color - probably will stick with that for another season.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I was probably one of the first adopters of single length clubs and the single plane swing around Golfwrx....

To be clear, these are two different and unrelated concepts. You can be a single-plane swinger with either VL or SL clubs. You can also be a two-plane swinger with either club design. One has no bearing on the other.

I played 18 this past week for the first time in a MONTH. I had not touched a club since the last time I played. I had ZERO expectations, other than to just have fun, and enjoy 70* weather in South Texas in December.

I ended up shooting a 78 at Oso Beach Golf course...it's not an overly difficult course, but still, a sub 80 round is something that gets me excited.

My iron play was SPECTACULAR. I was striking the ball solidly, and hitting the most pretty baby draw, and it was just an AWESOME feeling.

My Edels are worth every penny. I have zero issues with gapping, zero issues elevating the 5 iron, and my short iron/wedge play has gotten better. I was posting scores in the mid/high 80s' and now I'm posting high 70s on a consistent basis. I cannot credit this solely to the SL irons, as I did make the switch (and it was easy for me) to the Kirk Junge/Moe Norman single plane type of swing...I have given up NOTHING by doing that and really increased my enjoyment of the game.

If single length is a gimmick...I'm hooked on this gimmick for a long time. The longer short irons are huge benefit to my game. Even if some golfers don't want to go full on single length, if you're a taller golfer, you really do owe it to yourself to try your 8-PW in a longer length and even at Single length...my posture, comfort over the ball, and confidence is through the roof with them.

I played 18 this past week for the first time in a MONTH. I had not touched a club since the last time I played. I had ZERO expectations, other than to just have fun, and enjoy 70* weather in South Texas in December.

I ended up shooting a 78 at Oso Beach Golf course...it's not an overly difficult course, but still, a sub 80 round is something that gets me excited.

My iron play was SPECTACULAR. I was striking the ball solidly, and hitting the most pretty baby draw, and it was just an AWESOME feeling.

My Edels are worth every penny. I have zero issues with gapping, zero issues elevating the 5 iron, and my short iron/wedge play has gotten better. I was posting scores in the mid/high 80s' and now I'm posting high 70s on a consistent basis. I cannot credit this solely to the SL irons, as I did make the switch (and it was easy for me) to the Kirk Junge/Moe Norman single plane type of swing...I have given up NOTHING by doing that and really increased my enjoyment of the game.

If single length is a gimmick...I'm hooked on this gimmick for a long time. The longer short irons are huge benefit to my game. Even if some golfers don't want to go full on single length, if you're a taller golfer, you really do owe it to yourself to try your 8-PW in a longer length and even at Single length...my posture, comfort over the ball, and confidence is through the roof with them.

My biggest single surprise was how much better I hit the longer short irons. I really was expecting that to be weird, but I am way better with them than with VL. Strange. I use standard length GW, SW,LW but am considering going full monte.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I have decided to go single length 4-7 instead of 4-6. Hit the 7 iron way smoother after testing today.

Ordered 4 and 5 Cobra utility, should I tip weight and bend strong the 6 iron p730, or should I bend a 5 utility iron to 6 lof?

My biggest single surprise was how much better I hit the longer short irons. I really was expecting that to be weird, but I am way better with them than with VL. Strange. I use standard length GW, SW,LW but am considering going full monte.

I was not surprised that I was better...I was surprised at HOW MUCH better. I am going to schedule a 'wedge' and putter fitting with Edel in the spring, and I want to test the SLS01 55* iron...mainly to use as an 'eleven iron' on shots from 50-90 yards. I also want to get a lob wedge, but am thinking of seeing if they can make one of their custom ground LW's for me, but set up like Single Length.

Of course...I will use whatever we determine to be the best, but that's what I have in my head to try.

I have decided to go single length 4-7 instead of 4-6. Hit the 7 iron way smoother after testing today.

Ordered 4 and 5 Cobra utility, should I tip weight and bend strong the 6 iron p730, or should I bend a 5 utility iron to 6 lof?

If you got the iron style utility you wouldn’t need bend either I’d say beings they’re adjustable. Should slot right in with the 730s and their lofts.

If you got the iron style utility you wouldn't need bend either I'd say beings they're adjustable. Should slot right in with the 730s and their lofts.

so its the 3/4 utility (4 iron), and the 4/5 utility (5 iron). they dont make a 5/6 utility. most loft i can get is 27 degrees,cause u cannot bend them. p730 6 iron is 31 i think

Maybe it will work that the 4/5 goes 6 iron distance, but i dunno

If you got the iron style utility you wouldn't need bend either I'd say beings they're adjustable. Should slot right in with the 730s and their lofts.

so its the 3/4 utility (4 iron), and the 4/5 utility (5 iron). they dont make a 5/6 utility. most loft i can get is 27 degrees,cause u cannot bend them. p730 6 iron is 31 i think

4 degrees between 5 and 6 iron should provide a proper gapping. I use a 2-3 OL Utility at 18.5 and skip a 4 iron, go straight to a 5 iron, due to the lofts in my F8 OL’s. Working good. I can also crank up the utility and add a hybrid set at 16 degree IF needed.

They’re long, for 7 iron shaft, and easy to elevate. Love my 2-3. Like it much better than a hybrid. Good luck to you.

I have a 2/3 and a 3/4 that I play at the top of my bag. Love them so much. I can trust them so much more than hybrids/fww's

WITB:

I have a 2/3 and a 3/4 that I play at the top of my bag. Love them so much. I can trust them so much more than hybrids/fww's

what are u playing under that?

what are u playing under that?

4-pw forged one length. 50, 54, 58

WITB:

4 degrees between 5 and 6 iron should provide a proper gapping. I use a 2-3 OL Utility at 18.5 and skip a 4 iron, go straight to a 5 iron, due to the lofts in my F8 OL’s. Working good. I can also crank up the utility and add a hybrid set at 16 degree IF needed.

Well so the utility would be 27, and then I don't have a six(p730 would need to be cut/tip weighted/bent if I go that route).So it would be 27 to 35. Gotta fill that gap.

Well so the utility would be 27, and then I don't have a six(p730 would need to be cut/tip weighted/bent if I go that route).So it would be 27 to 35. Gotta fill that gap.

One post you say 4-7 OL, then another you are playing a 6 iron 730. What are you playing? Just go all in on the OLs.

One post you say 4-7 OL, then another you are playing a 6 iron 730. What are you playing? Just go all in on the OLs.

i dont think i said that i was playing any one-length clubs yet. . .

Im asking for advice on what i should play as a six iron. Currently, i dont play any one-length, as i am waiting for the cobra utilities ( 4 & 5) to arrive.

Currently, i play p730 full set in variable length. Looking to replace my 4 5 and 6 so that they match my 7 length.

with the have a 4 and 5 on the way, i still need to decide whats going to be my 6.

Im probably gonna go with the Forged one-length 6 iron (put a bid in already). Or i will retrofit my current p730 6 iron to be single-length.

i dont think i said that i was playing any one-length clubs yet. . .

Im asking for advice on what i should play as a six iron. Currently, i dont play any one-length, as i am waiting for the cobra utilities ( 4 & 5) to arrive.

Currently, i play p730 full set in variable length. Looking to replace my 4 5 and 6 so that they match my 7 length.

with the have a 4 and 5 on the way, i still need to decide whats going to be my 6.

Im probably gonna go with the Forged one-length 6 iron (put a bid in already). Or i will retrofit my current p730 6 iron to be single-length.

And I never said that you’d stated you were playing OL. It was just confusing to “me” is all. It’s clear now and with the Forged 6 OL you just might’ve figured it out. Good luck to you.

They're long, for 7 iron shaft, and easy to elevate. Love my 2-3. Like it much better than a hybrid. Good luck to you.

easy to elevate. . .thats promising! everything else i have heard said 4 iron might be a problem launch-wise.

They're long, for 7 iron shaft, and easy to elevate. Love my 2-3. Like it much better than a hybrid. Good luck to you.

easy to elevate. . .thats promising! everything else i have heard said 4 iron might be a problem launch-wise.

My 2/3 is not hard at all to elevate.