Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Just order a set of cobra one length with -1 in the drop down box, no sure what swing weight would be or if cobra offered lighter head weights.

Or buy some f7 on eBay they are going new for $200 and cut them down. Used probably cheaper.

I would not start with variable length irons, too much modification involved.

I would like to build my own with a particular graphite shaft (only comes in .370) and want the head to be forged which is what's leading me down the VL iron path vs single length

Ok but it’s more work then it’s worth in my opinion. If it has to be forged and .370 then I would buy a used set of cobra forged one length off eBay and get a shaft reamer and ream out heads, assembly and your done. Or you can cobble together something like you want to do if you like to tinker.

Am I being ridiculous for saying I don't like the aesthetics of the forged one length? LOL just being picky I guess :)

I guess most ideally I would find a set of heads only. I can always shave down the .370 shafts down to .355 if necessary

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

End of season update --

Started the season with F8 OL 5-GW. Over the course of the season I added OL Utility 3 and 4, OL hybrid 3 and 4 at various times. By the end of the season it became clear the OL 5 iron and below (regular, hybrid or utility) wasn't working well for me. I just couldn't get any real gapping down there so by the end of the season I had added a regular VL 3 and 5 hybrid Cobra F8. That worked. Top of the bag, I ended up going back to my Vokeys for the GW on up. The F8 OL GW just went insanely high with crazy spin. It was fun to hit just to marvel at the height, but for real shots, I went back to the Vokeys. All that said, I'm a newb. This is my first season of really playing a lot. I took lessons at least once a week for the whole season and my swing changed radically this year. I'm still working a lot and learning a lot. My wedge game 6-PW improved ten fold due to constant coaching and working on mechanics. By the end of the year I began experimenting with my sons G25 VL set and was hitting them really well. After some fitting and trial and error I've decided to put some 919 hot metals in the back for next year. This time next year we'll see. I may well put the OL back in the bag. If I do, I'll just start with 6-PW. That's the sweet spot to me with the OL.

LOVE swinging my 9 iron, favorite club in the bag length wise. Is there anyway I could build a set of these at 9 iron length AKA 36"?

Yes I have done it for a few guys...probably going to need some lead tape though...or a special setup to get the weight correct.

do you think 20 grams of lead tape is too much?

My rough calculations go something like this:

LGyZmPc.jpg

Also does anyone know what the highest density leadtape there is? probably gonna need some LOL

If you have the PW and GW 1/2-inch shorter, that's going to throw off your calculations. The clubs will be heavier (gross weight) and the swing weight will change, too. Also, your lie angle will be off unless you change it from 62 degrees. What's the point in that?

I found my problem and it was my grip. Went to a strong(er) right hand and started hitting everything. Still have a fade/almost slice at times with the 5, but I'm pretty sure I need to have the lie adjusted and that should fix it. I actually was getting decent height with the 5, so another in the plus column. Now every shot is fairly comfortable and in the same position, as SL's dictate and confidence is on the rise. Hopefully, some decent weather will show up before the real cold and snow. Anyway, looking forward to next season. Wishing all Happy and Safe Holidays...........

Well I thought I found the problem, only to find another one surfacing. Tried two more rounds and the short irons were perplexing. Normal distance yardages on the course and even going up a club (110 yds = PW so went to a 9 and still came up woefully short). Had several bouts with everything from the 8 to the SW and every time, short by at least 10 yds. So my attempt at SL is done, just way to much of an adjustment and nothing seemed to work. Already sold them and not looking back. At least I tried, but their just not for me. The last thing I need at my age is more distance loss, so back to my Ping VL's.

I found my problem and it was my grip. Went to a strong(er) right hand and started hitting everything. Still have a fade/almost slice at times with the 5, but I'm pretty sure I need to have the lie adjusted and that should fix it. I actually was getting decent height with the 5, so another in the plus column. Now every shot is fairly comfortable and in the same position, as SL's dictate and confidence is on the rise. Hopefully, some decent weather will show up before the real cold and snow. Anyway, looking forward to next season. Wishing all Happy and Safe Holidays...........

Well I thought I found the problem, only to find another one surfacing. Tried two more rounds and the short irons were perplexing. Normal distance yardages on the course and even going up a club (110 yds = PW so went to a 9 and still came up woefully short). Had several bouts with everything from the 8 to the SW and every time, short by at least 10 yds. So my attempt at SL is done, just way to much of an adjustment and nothing seemed to work. Already sold them and not looking back. At least I tried, but their just not for me. The last thing I need at my age is more distance loss, so back to my Ping VL's.

Quitter.... :D

I love SL but anyone using Ping clubs is ok in my books.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Alright I have some one length forged that I really like but the lies and lofts were a complete and total disaster. I wanted 61 degree lie angle and standard loft and for example my 4 iron was 64.5 degree lie angle and the loft was ok. But my 9 iron was 62.5 lie and 37 loft???? That's an entire club. Same with the pw, 41 degrees of loft a whole club strong. Glad I got it fixed and I have no idea how they came so badly off spec.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Alright I have some one length forged that I really like but the lies and lofts were a complete and total disaster. I wanted 61 degree lie angle and standard loft and for example my 4 iron was 64.5 degree lie angle and the loft was ok. But my 9 iron was 62.5 lie and 37 loft???? That's an entire club. Same with the pw, 41 degrees of loft a whole club strong. Glad I got it fixed and I have no idea how they came so badly off spec.

I had the same issue with my one length forged. The specs were like totally random. Some 2 up some 2 flat... The loft on my 6 iron was lower than my 5 iron!!!!

Bent them correctly and they are money.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Giving 1/4" progression a try, single length was too much loss of ball speed in long irons and less consistency in short irons (and couldn't get used to SL wedges). Traditional is too hard to consistently hit long irons and short irons and wedges are a little too short.

Perfect lob wedge length for me is 35.75"; and 37.75" is about the maximum iron length I have a chance at hitting consistently.

4I to LW will go 37.75" to 35.75" all 1/4". (skipping the 5I for 4-4.5* loft gaps throughout, set will probably be TS1 if I like the 6I demo I just made up)

I think I've given up on the same swing for all irons theory, my 5iron swing was never really the same as my GW swing even with single length.

Quick question for the OL hybrid users. A while back I frankensteined a OL hybrid using a matching shaft (Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120) and a Fly Z Hybrid head. I've had good success with it and have been using it a lot, especially around the greens. I had it set at 21.5 degrees and it has been my 215-225 club.

Last week I got a pretty good deal on an F8 OL hybrid 3 (19*) with a senior shaft that will be arriving today. My plan is to reshaft it with the Modus3 at 37.5" to match my irons.

Questions:

1) Do the rails help or hurt with using it for short game shots? I have rails on my F6 Baffler, but I haven't really tried any of those types of shots with it.

2) How difficult is it to elevate the 19* hybrid?

3) What types of distance gaps are you seeing between the OL hybrids and the OL long irons?

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Quick question for the OL hybrid users. A while back I frankensteined a OL hybrid using a matching shaft (Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120) and a Fly Z Hybrid head. I've had good success with it and have been using it a lot, especially around the greens. I had it set at 21.5 degrees and it has been my 215-225 club.

Last week I got a pretty good deal on an F8 OL hybrid 3 (19*) with a senior shaft that will be arriving today. My plan is to reshaft it with the Modus3 at 37.5" to match my irons.

Questions:

1) Do the rails help or hurt with using it for short game shots? I have rails on my F6 Baffler, but I haven't really tried any of those types of shots with it.

3) What types of distance gaps are you seeing between the OL hybrids and the OL long irons?

I haven't noticed much of a difference between chipping with railed hybrids and the regular kind, either good or bad.

Good strikes on the 19 elevate fine. Poor strikes for me have tended to stay very low. I'm debating on whether to stick with the 19 or go back to my Baffler in that slot. The 22 hybrid is a little less punishing.

Questions:

I haven't noticed much of a difference between chipping with railed hybrids and the regular kind, either good or bad.

Good strikes on the 19 elevate fine. Poor strikes for me have tended to stay very low. I'm debating on whether to stick with the 19 or go back to my Baffler in that slot. The 22 hybrid is a little less punishing.

I've noticed with my franken-hybrid that the flight is much lower than I'd expect from a 22* hybrid. There's also a very late left turn in the ballflight if I don't align the club slightly open at address, but I figured those were probably issues related to the loft/lie being configured for a club that's 3 inches longer. I was able to correct the weight differences, but couldn't do much about the actual clubhead characteristics. I'm hoping the F8 OL hybrid will improve on those minor flaws. If not, I have no problem reconstructing my franken-hybrid. It has performed well for me so far.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I originally played Sterling irons until I scored a great deal on some PXG irons. I did miss the single length irons so I recently converted my 0311 irons over to one length. The weight screws allowed me to get all the clubs the correct weight and since they're forged, bending them to the correct lie was no problem either.

I could hardly believe my ears. I turned on the radio today and Dennis Paulson is now touting SLs on his ITR Radio broadcast, saying they've helped him revive his love for the game. Carl wasn't on the broadcast because he was out getting fit for a new set of Edels. A couple of weeks ago, these guys were crushing SLs for being a stupid idea. Now, they're the greatest thing ever!

I could hardly believe my ears. I turned on the radio today and Dennis Paulson is now touting SLs on his ITR Radio broadcast, saying they've helped him revive his love for the game. Carl wasn't on the broadcast because he was out getting fit for a new set of Edels. A couple of weeks ago, these guys were crushing SLs for being a stupid idea. Now, they're the greatest thing ever!

During the QBE tournament last weekend Greg Norman also highly recommended them (especially for new players and juniors). He said he had a set made for him when DeChambeau got signed by Cobra and really got the concept.

I think anybody who wants to simplify the game or eliminate variables will immediately appreciate the concept. Golf can be overwhelming, especially when you just want to enjoy playing and can't dedicate hours per day practicing. Golf has never felt "easier" for me than it does right now. That doesn't mean every shot is perfect, but it means I can almost immediately feel what was wrong and make adjustments without having to spend weeks reconstructing multiple variations of my swing.

I heard part of the broadcast while driving. Did he say that all of his clubs are SL? I heard him say that his drive, 3 wood and 5 wood were now the same and that he had lost 3 mph in clubhead speed with the shortening of his drive. I wish I had heard the entire discussion.

I heard part of the broadcast while driving. Did he say that all of his clubs are SL? I heard him say that his drive, 3 wood and 5 wood were now the same and that he had lost 3 mph in clubhead speed with the shortening of his drive. I wish I had heard the entire discussion.

He said all his woods are the same length (43"), his irons are the same length, and he's sticking with his current wedges. He lost a couple MPH on his driver but said it wasn't a big deal. The part that got me what when he said that he had gained accuracy to the point that the clubs had renewed his love of the game.

He said all his woods are the same length (43"), his irons are the same length, and he's sticking with his current wedges. He lost a couple MPH on his driver but said it wasn't a big deal. The part that got me what when he said that he had gained accuracy to the point that the clubs had renewed his love of the game.

When I went SL irons I shortened my woods a ton because they felt so foreign. 43" driver and 41" 4 wood. Never felt better. Getting then up to a D6 swingweight like I enjoy took some doing, but I am consistently longer with than before (so many fewer mishits in exchange for the lost occasional bomb).

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Just done a bit of experimenting with my 5,6 and 7 iron single length and the short irons descending.

I found the gaps too close and no real improvement in ball striking.

Back to boring traditional.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Just done a bit of experimenting with my 5,6 and 7 iron single length and the short irons descending.

I found the gaps too close and no real improvement in ball striking.

Back to boring traditional.

Assuming the clubs were built correctly, a reduction in gapping indicates a too-slow swing speed. Variable-length clubs do mitigate this somewhat, but even then you'll likely be better off switching to hybrids.

Hybrids will give you a higher COR. Combined with their longer lengths, you should see your gaps improve. But....you'll likely lose accuracy due to the hybrids' lengths.

Wishon Sterling clubs utilize high-COR faces in the 4- through 7-irons to improve gapping. However, even they recommend switching to hybrids if your swing speed is slower.

As for contact, I don't think you gave them enough of a chance. Also, not having SL clubs for the rest of the set is a real hang-up, too. It's when you have the entire set at one length you begin to groove that one swing. You defeat the purpose by having VL irons for the 8-iron and below.

You stuck your toe in, decided the water was cold, then walked away. Try plunging in and see how quickly you get used to it.

I originally played Sterling irons until I scored a great deal on some PXG irons. I did miss the single length irons so I recently converted my 0311 irons over to one length. The weight screws allowed me to get all the clubs the correct weight and since they're forged, bending them to the correct lie was no problem either.

Thats interesting

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Thats interesting

Shot 74 in the first round I played with them. So far so good.

I’m all in after experimenting a couple rounds. Sold my trial set as the shafts were too soft. Got a steel on F8 5-G with reg flex stock graphite. After hitting several balls had them bent upright 2 degrees. Had 1st round yesterday with them and it’s so much easier for me. Just step up and hit the ball. Had local shop order the matching SW and LW also. I use the 2-3 OL utility at 18 degrees and skip the 4 iron due to the lofts, but can adjust the Utility and add a hybrid if necessary. Just not getting along with hybrids lately. Round 2 in the morning. Suppose to get to 61 degrees tomorrow. Will report back.

I just contacted Cobra. I'm having them swap out the AMTs in my Forged Tec for some KBS shafts. Surprised by the pricing, they covered shipping in both directions and were $15 cheaper per club than my local shop. Have to wait a couple extra days for transit time, but I can play my VLs if the weather holds here.

Thinking Ill dip my toes in OL, this thread is great. Posting my plan here as I think ill get more response than the dead-thread I posted it in earlier:

Thinking 4 and 5 OL cobra utilities, and then keeping my set as-is from 6-LW (9 iron-LW are already the same length as a standard 9 iron). Can I just keep my 6 iron, since I hit it fine? I have no issue playing it at 37.5, since that is a standard 6 for me, if not .5 over.

is it possible to order heads-only anywhere? I have a 3 iron shaft in my preferred shaft (the DG x100 SL thats in the 6-PW I would like to combo with the OL). If I can get heads only (even if I cannot), do I just order another one of those and put them in the Utility OL's (obviously I would tip and butt-trim to match the OL 37.5)?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour